• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are hardcore gamers similar to indie rock elitists?

Paracelsus

Chances are he was right and you were wrong. It wouldn't take much, modern mainstream in general is quite lousy.
The main purpose of inclusivity in gaming was lower the standards of the average gamer.
Remakes best exemplify this, you can't expect anything to be as good as the original.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Some people spend countless hours on hobby X, know every little detail - designers, side projects, backup singers. They can break down a genre into 50 subgenres - debate about the differences between glitchcore, grindcore, and noisecore.

Other people barely dip into that hobby, and even if they like it, couldn't name a name or define a genre beyond 'i like what i like'.

This is true for all hobbies, all interests, all fields of study. Games, music, wine, sports, grammar, stamp collecting.

Those that go deep on a subject clearly are going to seem like elitists to someone who doesn't, because one will know all the ins and outs and correct the errors of the guy who just doesn't care that much. One guy corrects the other for calling idm 'dnb', while guy number 2 corrects guy number 1 for calling a touchdown a homerun, or not knowing the name of the pitcher for a team.

On top of that, some people are snooty elites about it, other people will welcome newcomers. Those who are snooty give everyone else into the hobby a bad name... but are generally the ones most likely to be correct on the subject due to their dedication to it.

teezzy

Banned
I've always argued that you know you're truly versed in a subject when you begin to fully realize just how much there is about said subject which you're completely ignorant on.

lock2k

Banned
Yeah. Both types are insufferable idiots. Today I learned you cannot have an opinion about game design if you're not a designer. lmfao

Last edited:

GermanZepp

I need examples of what games your hardcore friends play.

In my friends circles souls games are "hardcore". I considered mmorpg heavy grinding, becoming pro, or being in a top 100 ranking , a hardcore thing.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I see it more now than I ever did. I don’t try to think about it because we all should focus on what we like instead of what other people like. We can’t force someone to see what we see and vice versa. I see it when I picked a random podcast about Resident Evil. There’s a handful of them and some haven’t made a podcast in years. Resident Evil declassified was good. A very interesting, intelligent look at the franchise. Then once I finished that one I downloaded The Infinite Ammo podcast. It had all the sound bites from random games, the people doing the show sounded like they were half asleep or they were talking with the most mainstream, Twitter fly by comments. It was like someone who stayed up all night watching retrospect videos of the franchise. They felt like they were just walking this line of entitlement. Granted, I could be wrong, but i just have to point it out.

Some people come off as new to the game scene, so it feels kinda weird. It’s like “I know that’s been said before” or it feels like they’re saying something out of entitlement. That they’re the last voice to be heard on the subject. I realize I probably act this way. A part of me feels like it’s ok. It’s like how film and even books are. They’ve had a good amount of time with the critics. Now more and more people are critics. There are more people interpreting games in all the ways. It isn’t listening to a friend talk about games. It’s listening to someone self analyze everything in their own way.

This is why we shouldn’t take what other people say so seriously or focus on the snobbish fans out there. There’s a lot of people who love video games and there’s about as many who will be part of the scene and talk bad about it. There’s fans who make a sound, intelligent comment and there’s the other one where it feels almost “forced”. I have heard fans online and seen enjoyment that makes me feel like the uniqueness was diminishing. I’m sure there are plenty of console/PC gamers out there who will rub you the wrong way. Some host their own servers and never play the games that you like. It’s a much more open and expressed medium than it ever has been. Again, just some random thoughts. I love games, but I find it hard to listen/watch/read what some of the voices out there are saying.

Last edited:

dalekjay

Carpathain Forest have a sax player? where tf have i been lmao

i remember them covering the cure once. i gotta listen to them more
Just this album, But there’s an experimental band I forgot the name now, that actually uses a funky sax on black metal, and other that plays black metal surf rock

Saruhashi

Banned
I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who is a hardcore gamer type and it was just exhausting. I notice it is the same kind of elitism and attitudes towards anything mainstream or AAA in the case of gaming and the way they insult those who have more mainstream tastes or casuals as gamers like to say. There is also this hyper analyzing of every aspect and nitpicking every little detail and just superior attitude. Honestly I used to be a music snob so that conversation reminded me of my old days.

The problem is that anyone who takes more than a passing interest in games, movies, books, music etc will tend to not only be more knowledgeable but will also have a keener desire to discuss and analyse finer details.

If you've got Person A over here who just listens to the radio in the car on the way to work and that's it and Person B over there who takes time out of their day to listen to specific albums and then wants to talk about it then who do you think is going to be more interested in analysis and nitpicking etc?

So it's naturally going to be the same in gaming.

I would agree with you though, mostly. If people are enjoying their games then just let them be.
Looking at a game like Animal Crossing I find it pretty easy to just feel that although it's not for me I can see why so many people would love that stuff.
No problem.
Some people can't really do that though and it becomes a kind of mockery of people who like different things.

I agree with your friend that story driven games are mostly just crap even if they are technically impressive.
That's fine though because I can just avoid those games or pick them up on discount or whatever.
Some I even just buy at launch anyway because I am interested.

Look at the near constant console warring on here these days.
It's not just hardcore gamers vs casual gamers.
Everybody seems to be "attacking" or "defending" something so I wouldn't let it bother you.
In a way you've kind of just fallen into the trap here, haven't you?
"My friend thinks he's so much better than casual gamers, what a snob, hardcore gamers are the worst, so glad I am better than them."

MrS

Banned
No chance. Gamers are nowhere near discerning enough. Indie rock elitists know what's up.

Guilty_AI

If are you posting and participating in a site dedicated to gaming, theres a really high chance you already are a hardcore gamer.

Casuals usually just don't care that much and only play whats popular, what their friend are playing, something to kill time, and usually dont really give much of a crap to games or at least don't think too deeply about it.

Top Bottom