• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are hardcore gamers similar to indie rock elitists?

Woggleman

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who is a hardcore gamer type and it was just exhausting. I notice it is the same kind of elitism and attitudes towards anything mainstream or AAA in the case of gaming and the way they insult those who have more mainstream tastes or casuals as gamers like to say. There is also this hyper analyzing of every aspect and nitpicking every little detail and just superior attitude. Honestly I used to be a music snob so that conversation reminded me of my old days.

dalekjay

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who is a hardcore gamer type and it was just exhausting. I notice it is the same kind of elitism and attitudes towards anything mainstream or AAA in the case of gaming and the way they insult those who have more mainstream tastes or casuals as gamers like to say. There is also this hyper analyzing of every aspect and nitpicking every little detail and just superior attitude. Honestly I used to be a music snob so that conversation reminded me of my old days.
Hardcore gamers are worse but in same vein yes.
and my main music style for today is harshnoise, but “hardcore” gamers still fart more their mouths/keyboards

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
There are people who play mainly CoD, Fortnite, Madden, and 2k who play way more than anyone who wastes all their time on this forum.

my main music style today is harshnoise

Your main choice of music is harshnoise? Doesnt that grow grating after a while?

dalekjay

There are people who play mainly CoD, Fortnite, Madden, and 2k who play way more than anyone who wastes all their time on this forum.

Your main choice of music is harshnoise? Doesnt that grow grating after a while?
After a while yes, but in 3 months it will be black metal with saxophones or Brazilian MPB

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have been called "childish" for liking Nintendo games and "weeb" for liking Japanese games and "elitists" for liking FROM games and I would say....
2Kx.gif

I like what I like.

Woggleman

I was telling him what a good story Ghosts of Tsushima had and he was trying to tell me that real gamers don't care about that stuff and I should watch a movie. Let me enjoy my story, cinematic games in peace and he can enjoy his obscure PC games in peace.

Almost always when someone wants to limit themselves to "I am gangsta/punk/indie/whatever" they are just fucking boring and lame persons.

Like whom would only like one genre? Boring people or people whom want to think thay they are special when they wear the same god damn emo/punk outfit like all their clones.

Music elitists are worse

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was telling him what a good story Ghosts of Tsushima had and he was trying to tell me that real gamers don't care about that stuff and I should watch a movie. Let me enjoy my story, cinematic games in peace and he can enjoy his obscure PC games in peace.
Then your friend is type of person who doesn't care about stories in games, then maybe stop talking about stories in games with him/her. Being "friends" doesn't mean you are going to agree on everything.

teezzy

Banned

Real talk - which obscure PC games do they enjoy?

teezzy

Banned
Cool.

I'm a "PC player" who spends a good amount of time playing NHL on Xbox instead.

Your friend is trying to pretend hes cool by bragging about something nobody IRL cares about. Enjoy your cinematic experience games, and dont let his curmudgeonly mindset ruin that for you.

TonyK

I'm a hardcore gamer and I love AAA (insert as A as you want here) games. Your friend is a snob gamer.

What is even considered a hardcore gamer anyways?
I really like the pretty cinematic games, I love the journey they take you on, but then again I play Dead Cells or Vermintide and other games on the highest possible difficulties and do every hard challenges in them. I hate souls and souls like games. I don't play mainstream games like fortnite or cod, I don't play on mobile, but I do play a lot on Xbox and PS.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
What is even considered a hardcore gamer anyways?
I really like the pretty cinematic games, I love the journey they take you on, but then again I play Dead Cells or Vermintide and other games on the highest possible difficulties and do every hard challenges in them. I hate souls and souls like games. I don't play mainstream games like fortnite or cod, I don't play on mobile, but I do play a lot on Xbox and PS.
Pretty sure you'd be considered a hardcore gamer.
It's not about not liking stories or the zen-like relaxing experience of something like Stardew Valley every now and again.
Nor is it about liking every kind of game.

And Vermintide on highest difficulties is enough masochism to qualify, especially with random people...

Tiamat2san

Yeah maybe they are.
Many of my friends are and a lot of people consider me one.
And I am an « extrême metal » listener (death, grind, black, brutal..)
Everything else is shitty music!!!
😎😚😉

i have a tendency to judge other people choices in gaming and music.
But being diplomatic I never start the conversation on these topics.
But boy don’t get me started!
I guess it’s the problem with really passionate people.
And contrary to a lot of people, I am way more gentle on internet than in real life. I don’t feel superior being a dick online.

Enjay

Banned
Is there some new disorder going around? First it was comparing gaming to wrestling and now this dumb shit?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
No--music elitists don't have meltdowns and temper tantrums with as much frequency or consistency as gamers. They also don't go insane with rumors.

martino

when it comes to brand fanbase they are not hardcore at all (console, cpu ,gpu) and the correct analogy is more boys band groupies.
go in speculation thread with that in mind replace brand name/product with boys band group name /singers
you'll see how it fits !
"no brandon is the best !"
"but look at this bitch, she is saying he is not"
"come on girls, confort me and spam the bitch !"
"look at this magasine he is saying bad thing of brandon, it's bad , they are lying and prefer hit me hard band i'm sure !"'
"plz, plz plz tell me you agree with me , girls"
"poor Brandon we need to do something for him, this bullying is unacceptable !"

it's entertaining though

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
"Hardcore gamer" is a marketing term popularized by Microsoft, Sony, and journos to explain why the Wii was trouncing everyone in sales and pop-culture engagement.

"Oh it is those casuals, pay no mind", we were told.

True hardcore gamers are just... gamers. Playing what they like, mastering what they like, adjusting tastes, loving the hobby like a true fan.

I don´t listen to anything that has over 1k spins on any digital platform. Having physical releases is already sellout.

But jokes aside, of course it is similar and not only to indie rock or games, but you´ll find that in almost every form of pop- and subculture, Because it is basically the same behaviour/the same archetype of people just with a different subject its based on. I personally was socialized within hiphop culture in central europe in the 90s and up to this day there is not a small amount of "realkeepers" . Getting older i thought it was exclusive to this genre/scene but getting more experience in life, moving around europe, seeing different scenes and cultures in the end i had ti recognize that "keeping it real" wasn´t exclusive to a certain genre but it was a core element of every genre and within those (speaking in terms of genres as subcultures) in a certain way necessary to some degree.

Yes it can be very annoying because those stances they take are unflexible and often boneheaded, on the other hand it preserves (spiritually) a certain taste or (economically speaking) a certain demand for things having "no benefit" except just being "for the culture". Those hardcore hardcore fans are just a very small fraction (who nonetheless can be very vocal and influential to some degree) which of course makes them by definition kind of "elitist". Fortunately i grew up and got less strict with tastes and more accepting/experimental which is great, otherwise i would´ve missed out on great experiences all around.

You won´t change em, just accept them for what they are, use them from time to time when you maybe needing a certain perspective or recommendation and all is good. However when it turns into more personal problems or makes them unbearable on a personal levvel, well just don´t waste your time with such people, because in the end its not worth it.

Sure they are.

But the key difference between the two is that most of the music snobs I’ve met have at least tried making their own music.

Last edited:

Bakkus

No. The equivalent to 'hardcore' games like those 'character action' games in the music world is probably prog rock. The equivalent of 'indie rock' i'd say is maybe Suda51 type of games.

According to your définition, they're more like people who only listen top 40 music or something... Then claim that whatever is selling the most now is the best.

People can enjoy their games, discussions, preferences, etc. But don't ever fucking touch my radio if you are driving with me. Don't come in my ride if you don't like your hair messed up, or hate competition sound systems. I'm a big music snob, and mainstream music sucks ass.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No. The equivalent to 'hardcore' games like those 'character action' games in the music world is probably prog rock. The equivalent of 'indie rock' i'd say is maybe Suda51 type of games.

I was gonna say this. I'm a prog fan (ok, an elitist) and a fan of those games. It takes a certain level of skill and taste to enjoy both.

(And yes, all other music sucks. Indie rock especially.)

Kind of joking. But only kind of.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think gaming itself has gone mainstream enough that it isn't really possible to be a hardcore gamer.

yurinka

Yes

Ten_Fold

I would say if you play something other than Madden, NBA2K, COD, and probably fortnite. I would consider you a hardcore gamer.

teezzy

Banned
I would say if you play something other than Madden, NBA2K, COD, and probably fortnite. I would consider you a hardcore gamer.

If someone played only those franchises, but devoted enough time to the hobby... they could just as easily be considered the same.

Komatsu

Console fanboyism is considerably more annoying, with its childish attachment to a corporation that doesn’t know you exist or the spurious idea that a generation can be “won” by this or that company.

That said, I guess most of the regulars here would qualify as “hardcore gamers” and most of the actual gaming discussion is not at all obnoxious.

Airola

"Hardcore gamer" is a marketing term popularized by Microsoft, Sony, and journos to explain why the Wii was trouncing everyone in sales and pop-culture engagement.

"Oh it is those casuals, pay no mind", we were told.

True hardcore gamers are just... gamers. Playing what they like, mastering what they like, adjusting tastes, loving the hobby like a true fan.

Only facts and truths told in that post!

Vawn

Banned
You know what's worse than both? People who post on a forum dedicated to discussing video games and talk down to people who are really into gaming.

Top Bottom