• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are core gamers too harsh on Mobile games?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn't really think about it until my last post, but I'm not sure mobile is ever going to be able to do fighters properly. You have weird stuff like Flappy Fighter and Footsies, which are fine for what they are, but without having access to precise controls, you're never going to get a high level fighter on mobile hardware.

QCF is absolutely awful on a touch pad. Fighting games have had SP buttons for years now. You press a direction and press the SP button for special moves. SNK games you can press and hold the SP button and move it up, down, left, or right for that particular move. It takes some getting use to. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 had an option, simplified, even more simplified, and then traditional button layouts. One of those was literally punch and kick and there was another for SP/support/etc. It works to an extent. It isn't exactly like auto-mode some fighting games have had where you go into an pre-made combo from pressing the button over and over again. I try and play with traditional controls on Street Fighter II, SNK games, and etc.. It gets super frustrating. Street Fighter IV did well on mobile. There's even an updated version. At one point in time there were actually Street Fighter IV mobile tournaments. Its hard to imagine a mobile game tournament. Vain Glory is a MOBA on mobile and I know they've had their own tournaments. The reality is that you could sync a controller and play it that way. I think a lot of games that come out now say "MFI controller support". The only time I've used a controller is when I was playing MGRising with my Steam controller. Find a good controller and a phone mount and it works out real well.

Nymphae

Banned
QCF is absolutely awful on a touch pad. Fighting games have had SP buttons for years now. You press a direction and press the SP button for special moves. SNK games you can press and hold the SP button and move it up, down, left, or right for that particular move. It takes some getting use to. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 had an option, simplified, even more simplified, and then traditional button layouts. One of those was literally punch and kick and there was another for SP/support/etc. It works to an extent. It isn't exactly like auto-mode some fighting games have had where you go into an pre-made combo from pressing the button over and over again. I try and play with traditional controls on Street Fighter II, SNK games, and etc.. It gets super frustrating. Street Fighter IV did well on mobile. There's even an updated version. At one point in time there were actually Street Fighter IV mobile tournaments. Its hard to imagine a mobile game tournament. Vain Glory is a MOBA on mobile and I know they've had their own tournaments. The reality is that you could sync a controller and play it that way. I think a lot of games that come out now say "MFI controller support". The only time I've used a controller is when I was playing MGRising with my Steam controller. Find a good controller and a phone mount and it works out real well.

Huh, didn't know they ever held mobile Sf4 tourneys. I can't imagine it's as intense to watch as proper SF is.

And yeah I've heard SF4 did well on mobile, I wonder why they didn't make a version for 5, or any other mobile fighters really.

Last edited:
As much as I'd love Dungeon Master, just imagine how they'd fuck it up. No you can't cast spells unless you spend 498 magic bum points. Lemmings is a lesson for the age. Instead, fire up an amiga emu on your phone, load that rom, and crack on.
True, I wouldn't want this as a standard "free-to-play" mobile game that has ads and microtransactions. But for the Amiga emulator you need a bluetooth mouse (then it should be perfect I guess). It won't work well with touchscreen input.

Top Bottom