• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcane |OT| Use Spoilers

brian0057

Banned
Arcane-showrunner-interview-how-League-Of-Legends-broke-the-video.jpg

That League of Legends show, ARCANE... is kinda lit.
Is this a hot take? I don't play LOL and never have (and probably never will).
Am I gonna get cancer for liking this show?

I was intrigued by the trailers and by how good the animation looked (which, by the way, it's amazing).
Just three episodes in and I'm legitimately hooked. It's not just good for a videogame based show, it's a good show full stop.

What does GAF think about it? I've yet to see a thread about it.

POST ACT III UPDATE:

Watch this show. Now!
This series lives rent free in my head. Fucking amazing.
Probably one of the best animated shows I've ever seen and low key one of the best TV things ever.

The fact that Riot Games is the one making this masterpiece is unfair.

Last edited:

Beelzebubs

Honestly, it was absolutely brilliant. Even if you don't give a shit about LoL it's worth checking out.

Some of the best animation I've seen, up there with Into the Spiderverse and the Voice Acting is incredible. The storyline is also really bloody good so it is defo worth a watch.

brian0057

Banned
Honestly, it was absolutely brilliant. Even if you don't give a shit about LoL it's worth checking out.

Some of the best animation I've seen, up there with Into the Spiderverse and the Voice Acting is incredible. The storyline is also really bloody good so it is defo worth a watch.
Dude, the animation alone makes it worth a try.
But then you have a really engaging story and characters, and the show becomes a must watch.
And I couldn't give less of a shit about League Of Legends.

ZywyPL

Banned
Saw it yesterday, and again today, and probably gonna rewatch it again on 13th along with episodes 4-6, it's THAT good, and I hate LoL and Rito with a passion mind you. The show has a huge chance to become Netflix's best animated shows to date, and that's when you don't even know what LoL is, but if you do and recognize all the characters, it gets 10x better.

tmlDan

I came here to advocate for it as well, hell the first 3 episodes were fantastic and a great set up.

The animations, the acting, the story - all of it are fantastic.

If it keeps this level of quality it will be the best animated show/product ive seen in years.

I hate LoL as well, but fuck it, people need to watch it.

Holammer

There’s a bunch of league of legends spin-off games coming too that aren’t mobas.
Speaking of spin-offs, this was just released and Ruined King soon.

Just a matter of time before they put on League of Legends and Valorant on Steam too. They need to get as many eyeballs as possible on Riot's IPs for tv-series, movies and such. The same reason why MS and Sony release their stuff on PC right now.

Saw the first ep last night. I really like the look of the animation. 3d cell shading used to be so awful but they seem to have come up with character designs that work really well. I hope it's not too expensive or time consuming. I would like to see more of this.

Mozzarella

Yeah, its a great show so far, I'm surprised nobody is talking about it here, im loving it, it surpassed my expectations tbh.

I played LOL for 3 years, so im familiar with the characters but i think even if you are not a player you can enjoy the show.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I just saw the trailer sizzle thingy on Netflix, the animation does look outstanding. I think I remarked about it aloud it was so striking.

What is it, CGI with shaders to look hand drawn?

Kuranghi

Yeah, flatmate is a big League-men and he convinced me to watch it and I enjoyed it, I'd watch it even just for the animation, as its top tier.

The Dolby Vision is great too, HDR isn't used too flashely in the first episode but it adds to the presentation quite a bit.

it's really damn good i'm enjoying it. i have played league of legends before it aired but the show has me wanting even more of this world. can't wait for the final episodes next week.

elliot5

Rewatching episodes 4-6 again as we speak, this show just gets better and better with each new one, the plot thickens so damn hard. Hopefully it won't take long for Season 2 because I can already tell 9 episodes is waaay too low, should've been at least 30.
If only we were so lucky

Spaceman292

Banned
Did anyone else think it went a little over the top with the dark edginess in the third episode? I don't know much about LoL but I wouldn't think that the story has the same tone as The Last Of Us.

Tangerine

Just binge watched all episodes available as of 15th November. Think theres final 3 episodes coming in 5 days.

But I watched it after reading this thread and didn't intend to binge watch it at all.

As as been said, you don't need to be a LoL fan to appreciate this. I've never played or watched someone play LoL or DOTA (my understanding is they aren't really connected anyway)

The story, characters and blend of excellent 3D and 2D animation lifts this to something special in my eyes.

The character expressions are expertly done and motivations seem believable. The world is rich and detailed. Phantastical creatures. Real suspense and tragedy. Great action sequences and a real 'I need to watch what happens next episode, addictiveness' which is a testiment to just how engaging the story is, in my opinion.

Very impressed thus far. One of the best things, animated or not, I've seen in years. I really hope it doesn't disappoint/fall apart in the final 3 episodes. I'm not expecting it to, mind you.

So far it's a 9 or a 9.5/10 for me.

Last edited:

mxbison

Awesome. 4 episodes in and it's probably the best animated show I've seen (not that many though).

I don't know anything about LoL and it doesn't matter at all.

Fuz

Banned
Currently on Ep. 4 and there's something that bothers me. Why does every single character have a gap on their front teeth?

Pretty cool art and animation, don't care much for the story. It's not badly written but it's just... not that interesting. Hope Jinx will kick Vi's ass though.

Last edited:

Catphish

Been watching it with my daughter, neither of us are familiar with the game at all, and after 3 episodes, we really dig it.

The friggin art and animation style is stunning. Very impressive. Enthusiastically looking forward to the rest of it. (y)(y)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Having only played Legends of Runeterra and going down the rabbit hole of the character bios, League of Legend (not sure what the overall universe is) has a pretty good lore package. If nothing else, the narrative team at RIOT knows how to put some stink on their properties. It is actually admirable given how little care other similar developers take with their stuff (Blizzard games might be fun but god damn are the stories terrible).

elliot5

Currently on Ep. 4 and there's something that bothers me. Why does every single character have a gap on their front teeth?

Pretty cool art and animation, don't care much for the story. It's not badly written but it's just... not that interesting. Hope Jinx will kick Vi's ass though.
oi they're runeterran bri'ish m8 watch yerself cheeky cunt. got that london look yeah?

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
It's CG with a lot of hand drawn animation for the effects and backgrounds.
Curious about the how.
Feels like, while the faces are (sorta) traditionally animated, the bodies are painted over real actors. The movements are too natural.

Style and animations are great, but it kinda feels... a bit off to me. Not sure if I love it or not. I'm not sure why.

Last edited:

TagZ

I've enjoyed the first 3 episodes so far and has me more excited for Project L the LoL universe Fighting game.

Beelzebubs

Curious about the how.
Feels like, while the faces are (sorta) traditionally animated, the bodies are painted over real actors. The movements are too natural.

Style and animations are great, but it kinda feels... a bit off to me. Not sure if I loveit or not. I'm not sure why.
Full CGI for characters with extensive mocap for the actors with a kind of cel shaded element over the models. If you look at the smoke effects/explosions and when Jinx freaks out as an example it's all hand drawn as are a lot of the backgrounds I believe.

Look up Fortiche, the animation studio behind this, it's been their artstyle for years.

This is their first collaboration with Riot Games 8/9 years ago working on the Jinx character introduction music video. You can see where they have started from and how it's progressed.

Also the song is a banger.

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
This is their first collaboration with Riot Games 8/9 years ago working on the Jinx character introduction music video. You can see where they have started from and how it's progressed.

Also the song is a banger.
Oh yeah, great song. I knew the video, I used to play Jinx a lot at the time. Didn't knew they were the same people.

PacificNW

I know nothing of League of Legends and I am LOVING everything about it. The animation is incredible. The tech behind this show is even more so. I can't wait for the last three episodes to come out. I am telling everyone about it. And the people who have seen it think the same as I do. Must watch show.

Top Bottom