• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcadegeddon |OT| Ready Player 1 meets Returnal with friends - Cross-play and free with PS Plus

Or Tron meets Risk of Rain. Or Nick Arcade meets... Anyhow, you get the idea. Play it solo, or with up to three friends. Launches July 5th on PS4, PS5, PC, and Xbox Consoles. Will be free for all tiers of PS Plus, and supports cross-play with anyone else who wants to pick it up for $20.

These were the best overviews of the game I could find, but it's been in early access for a while now, and it seems a lot has been added since then. Speaking of early access, I'll be back to add more to the OP once I've played the game myself. I hope it's fun and lives up to its potential. I guess we'll all find out tomorrow. If it does well, I can see the developers adding more content to this game for a while.

I think it's a really good idea to include cross-play titles on PS Plus or Game Pass from day one, as it helps the game quickly gain a community, and gives other platform owners an assurance that other players will be there if they decide to get the game. Worked nicely for Outriders, for example. I have to wonder how many other multiplayer games sent to die would have found an audience as free-to-play titles, or as part of a subscription service. This isn't a multiplayer only title, though, so that helps as well.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Wouldn’t every dev want their game to be that targeted success? Your comment makes no sense to me.

Thats because that comment is a response to a comment which was response to my original comment. How will it make sense if you isolate it. I said Wannabe mutiplayer success. There.....No not every developers are out there for that. You should see Cuphead or It takes two developers takes on their games and then you will get it. Me saying wannabe means it is reminiscent of something, it doesnt have to be similar in form, it simply means it leaves me with a similar impression.

Thats because that comment is a response to a comment which was response to my original comment. How will it make sense if you isolate it. I said Wannabe mutiplayer success. There.....No not every developers are out there for that. You should see Cuphead or It takes two developers takes on their games and then you will get it. Me saying wannabe means it is reminiscent of something, it doesnt have to be similar in form, it simply means it leaves me with a similar impression.
Not that it's applicable here, because in the interviews I've seen the developer seem to be pretty humble and realistic, but I have to wonder who the last developer was claiming to have the next fortnite. I think that's more the fault of games media trying to sell their exclusive previews more than the sort of thing a developer or publisher says. That would pretty much certainly be setting yourself up for failure. I think the game's media used to do that with COD as well.

As far as this game goes, though, has anyone here tried it yet? If so, what are your thoughts so far?

Last edited:
After playing a bit of this earlier, I can definitely say I do enjoy it. It's one of the most colorful games I've played in a long while. The gameplay is fun, the shooting feels good, and I'm guessing it'll be even better with friends.

Two things hold the presentation back for me personally. The music doesn't work for me, and I would have loved some Hotline Miami style synth or 16 bit vibes chip tunes. It is unique, and it's hardly bad or anything, but there's not much melody there. I'm guessing some will really enjoy the music. What I think will be far less divisive is the writing. Let me know if you feel differently, but I don't think many people are going to like it. Going a bit 80s retro with the dialog would have been great. Instead, it feels like it's trying to be an extreme sports Ubisoft game. It's part trendy and part made up nonsense with everyone trying to out cool each other. Thankfully? It's all easily skipable and ignorable. Get off my lawn.

I'm also not sure how much content there is here, and how repeated runs will hold up in terms of fun factor, but for a free download to play with friends this seems great. Should be fun for a while for solo players as well. It's very much worth checking out.

Last edited:
After playing it, the Mario Party approach to PVP is a lot of fun, but I wish it was more customizable. If you have a favorite game mode, there doesn't seem to be any way to just play that in a custom game or change any of the settings so the game goes on for longer. With the developers working on the new Ghostbusters title as well, I hope they're able to keep improving this game, because it is a lot of fun.

Anyone else on here playing this?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Gave it a shot last night with some friends.

To me it's just boring. The combat and movement isn't good enough to warrant any reason to keep playing.

Like with so many other games, i'm imagining if they had instead made a co-op story driven shooter with a proper campaign, but still retaining the art style and overall theme. Would have been much more fun and interesting.

Music is good though. Characters remind me of Osmosis Jones.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It's so horrible that I think the team responsible for the artstyle is trying to tell us they are in distress and need our help to get out of this studio as soon as possible.

I mean you can't do this:

unknown.png

and think "Yeaaaaah we killed it it's so original and beautiful!!"

unknown.png

"-Kill me please"

Yep I'm definitively gonna pretend this it as a distress call.

It's so horrible that I think the team responsible for the artstyle is trying to tell us they are in distress and need our help to get out of this studio as soon as possible.

I mean you can't do this:

unknown.png

and think "Yeaaaaah we killed it it's so original and beautiful!!"

unknown.png

"-Kill me please"

Yep I'm definitively gonna pretend this it as a distress call.

These two pictures are a wild misrepresentation of the actual art direction in this game, which has a lot more in common with games like Saints Row 3 and 4 and Sunset Overdrive. You just found the worst examples from cutscenes in the trailer, but none of the actual gameplay looks like that.

Gave it a shot last night with some friends.

To me it's just boring. The combat and movement isn't good enough to warrant any reason to keep playing.

Like with so many other games, i'm imagining if they had instead made a co-op story driven shooter with a proper campaign, but still retaining the art style and overall theme. Would have been much more fun and interesting.

Music is good though. Characters remind me of Osmosis Jones.
The movement could be better, but I thought the shooting felt pretty darn good. Maybe you're just not a fan of the rogue-like genre, from the sound of it, and that would be understandable.

I'll give this an honest shot.

These two pictures are a wild misrepresentation of the actual art direction in this game, which has a lot more in common with games like Saints Row 3 and 4 and Sunset Overdrive. You just found the worst examples from cutscenes in the trailer, but none of the actual gameplay looks like that.

As a fan of all 3 I like what you're describing. Unfortunately get ready for more drive-by posts, shitposting, and one sentence impressions on page 1 and 2. That's just how it seems to be here, even if you or someone you know might have personally had a hand in developing the game 🤷‍♂️

I'll give this an honest shot.

As a fan of all 3 I like what you're describing. Unfortunately get ready for more drive-by posts, shitposting, and one sentence impressions on page 1 and 2. That's just how it seems to be here, even if you or someone you know might have personally had a hand in developing the game 🤷‍♂️

I've learned just to be thankful when negativity bumps a thread of mine. Maybe that leads to a better conversation about the topic, or maybe it makes someone aware of something I posted about, but even negative posts can help a thread. I think multiplayer games in general have a lot of people who will gladly tear them down without being interested in the genre, but I still like promoting games that I enjoy either way.

Top Bottom