• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade shmup legends Cave to develop a new title in beloved doujin (indie) series Touhou Project.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

Well this is weird. Cave, who have not developed an original title in about 9 years, have announced they will be developing a new title for the anniversary of Touhou Project, a series of beloved doujin (fan/indie) shooters on PC, which were previously developed by Team Alice.

anthony2690

Banned
I don't know if I even want to get my hopes up, will probably just be a mobile game :(

That being said wish, cave would just make incredible console games again.

anthony2690

Banned
Cave's mobile shmups were pretty dope though.
I don't play mobile games though, if they made them for consoles with controller support, would they still be great compared to their other games?
Genuinely curious, if so, wonder if they will port them one day.

SF Kosmo

I don't play mobile games though, if they made them for consoles with controller support, would they still be great compared to their other games?
Genuinely curious, if so, wonder if they will port them one day.
The touch controls were fantastic. They didn't feel like clumsier versions of other games. In some ways they controlled better.

Wonko_C

I don't like the Touhou shooting games but I've enjoyed some spinoffs like Koumajo Densetsu I & II and Touhou Luna Nights.

But I love Cave shooters. I look forward to see what they do with the franchise.

Last thing I can remember from CAVE was Deathsmiles. WAY back in mid 2000's. At least a decade ago. I've got it on disk with a xbox 360 faceplate.
That faceplate has to be worth a ton of money by now right? Right?

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Anything by Cave is an automatic purchase.
Be1mn3T.jpg

RaduN

Well, Cave are possibly the only developer i can think of with an impecable library (lets ignore that one game :messenger_smirking:). Each and every shmup they made is a masterpiece in pretty much any aspect (art, gameplay, scoring, originality, addictiveness, ....use of purple color:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:).
Even if this will be a mobile game (which it will) it will probably be great.

(i play Ibara, Muchi Muchi Pork!, Daifukkatsu Black Label, Mushihimesama and all others daily on my phone, so i could be a little biased...)

After thinking about Death Smiles I tried to play it last night on my Series X.
Turns out it's one of the few games that is NOT backwards compatible.
Looking at my shelf of 360 games most of the NON back compat games are from Japan developers.
And Skyrim. For some reason. 'eyeroll'

Editing for softer language.

Last edited:
Top Bottom