• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's M1 Max GPU is as powerful as an Nvidia RTX 2080 desktop GPU and the Sony PS5 gaming console

Notabueno

Banned
Jesus man, it's not that serious.

Also what's the difference between profoundly stupid and borderline intellectually deficient?

Having grown up with Apple products when there were reason to be a fan of, I found that people who still buy recent technology are profoundly "stupid" which doesn't mean bad, but really stupid as in ignorant, untalented, inadaptible in general. But when it reaches the highs of Apple which is and has been nothing without Jobs despite the absence of innovation, good design, meaningful iteration or progress and the constant regression, despite still using a MBP and iPhone for app testing, and I supported clients and boss who don't want to hire people using recent mac products for certains task where you either know better and are proving irrelevance and stupidity in your choice (also it's legal given the argument makes itself easy when it comes to specific tasks like rendering, management, security or research which nobody serious does on a Mac anymore, the only task acceptable being video/media or anything non-technical).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Having grown up with Apple products when there were reason to be a fan of, I found that people who still buy recent technology are profoundly "stupid" which doesn't mean bad, but really stupid as in ignorant, untalented, inadaptible in general. But when it reaches the highs of Apple which is and has been nothing without Jobs despite the absence of innovation, good design, meaningful iteration or progress and the constant regression, despite still using a MBP and iPhone for app testing, and I supported clients and boss who don't want to hire people using recent mac products for certains task where you either know better and are proving irrelevance and stupidity in your choice (also it's legal given the argument makes itself easy when it comes to specific tasks like rendering, management, security or research which nobody serious does on a Mac anymore, the only task acceptable being video/media or anything non-technical).

So you are an IT support guy?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's great for video rendering, but let's not get too excited about the flops.
Metal (Apple Graphics api) is very similar to what Sony is doing and even uses same LLVM compiler. Makes sense, because it's build specifically to Unix based systems, which both PS5 and macOS are. I mean if Apple would starts to producing games, they could very well succeed, since brand + current good choice of HW and SW.

I have currently M1 OG and it's fast enough to wait for a second iteration of M1 Pro/Max...

FStubbs

If Apple were to ever even try to make a monopoly in the desktop/laptop market.......well this ain't it. Apple's marketshare is about 8% which is fourth behind Lenovo, HP, and Dell. Moving up any on that ladder is going to require some cheap ass tech far below $1000. That isn't in Apple's wheelhouse. Apple makes good money on Mac, but their big money is and always will be iPhone.
I miss VAIOs. Surprised Samsung and LG never really made any headway into laptops.

Gold Member
What the hell are you ranting about? Do you even realise that the vast majority of software engineers / architects (myself included) would rather dev on a Mac than a Windows machine? Having a Linux like environment is a really useful when you are pushing code out to Linux servers, which the vast majority of backend systems are built upon. Yes Windows has recently come along with WSL (and its pretty decent) but are you seriously saying that everyone who buys a Mac is ignorant and talentless? Guess I should pack it up and throw my 20yr software dev career in the bin as the talentless ignorant fool I've been!

Wow...

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I dont think it will be as powerful as a ps5 considering the original M1 had 2.6tflops, but its performance was about the same as a PS4.

WitchHunter

How did Apple jump this wiiiide gap that is performant GPUs in such a short time? Did they abduct some core engineers? And from whom?

Last edited:
Talking about Paper Specs:
Apple 32C GPU- 164 GPixel + 327 GTextel
PS5 - 142.9 GPixel + 321.6 GTexel
SeX - 116.8 GPixel + 379.6 GTexel
6700 - 160.0 GPixel + 360.0 GTexel
2080 - 109.4 GPixel + 314.6 GTexel
3070 -165.6 GPixel + 317.4 GTexel

FStubbs

Some people think this is just Apple’s marketing. It’s not.
It’s just a clickbait article which compares TFLOPS across entirely different architectures and use cases.
Clickbait is part of apple's marketing.

1G5Nir4.jpg

Dr Bass

Man this is absurd.

Did you know Google doesn't allow it's workforce to use Windows? When you start you get a choice of a Mac or a Linux machine. Macs are all over Silicon Valley, and for good reason. The ignorance that I see online around Apple products astounds me.

And AGAIN. I don't even care. Just like a carpenter says "look at the house I built" not "look at the hammer I used to build this house." Computers are just tools to build the actually interesting things (since I am not the one building the actual computers). I care about the end result, but I DO choose the best tool for the jobs I need to do. I have zero allegiance to any tech company making these things.

And you know what. I guarantee you I am neither ignorant, nor untalented. And I can certainly adapt. Your blanket baloney statements are without merit, and IMO ignorant themselves. But you can keep thinking all that stuff if you want. The people who actually know what's going on are out there and DO use Macs. For engineering of all kinds.

Dr Bass

How did Apple jump this wiiiide gap that is performant GPUs in such a short time? Did they abduct some core engineers? And from whom?
Short time? They've been doing their own SoCs for like ten years. It's the typical "overnight success" story that's been going on for years in the dark that most people just aren't paying attention to. Everyone in the industry has known this stuff was coming. Apple has been trying to hire the best IC engineers out there, and bought up some people many, many years ago before they started including their own chips in the iPhone. Again, not a surprise in the slightest to people who are in the industry, and it wasn't a "short time." You just didn't notice.

it reminds me of when Esperanza Spalding won the Grammy for "Best New Artist." She made a comment along the lines of "I've been doing this my whole life ..."

Yeah, it's like that.

Topher

Gold Member
Man this is absurd.

Did you know Google doesn't allow it's workforce to use Windows? When you start you get a choice of a Mac or a Linux machine. Macs are all over Silicon Valley, and for good reason. The ignorance that I see online around Apple products astounds me.

And AGAIN. I don't even care. Just like a carpenter says "look at the house I built" not "look at the hammer I used to build this house." Computers are just tools to build the actually interesting things (since I am not the one building the actual computers). I care about the end result, but I DO choose the best tool for the jobs I need to do. I have zero allegiance to any tech company making these things.

And you know what. I guarantee you I am neither ignorant, nor untalented. And I can certainly adapt. Your blanket baloney statements are without merit, and IMO ignorant themselves. But you can keep thinking all that stuff if you want. The people who actually know what's going on are out there and DO use Macs. For engineering of all kinds.

Yeah, this garbage that tech choices (Mac vs Windows) is somehow a reflection of someone's intelligence is about as narrow-minded a thing I've read on this forum. But this guy seems to be a support dude and I know guys like that but they still are not ones to generalize people for tech choices. That is venturing into the extreme. And over what? A damn laptop?

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Yeah, this garbage that tech choices (Mac vs Windows) is somehow a reflection of someone's intelligence is about a narrow-minded thing I've read on this forum. But this guy seems to be a support dude and I know guys like that but they still are not ones to generalize people for tech choices. That is venturing into the extreme. And over what? A damn laptop?

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News
Yeah .. I don't care what people use. Even on the team I lead we have people using Windows and Mac, and we don't enforce anything. Use what you are most effective with. Both companies do some things well, and some things not so well. But it's just bizarre to me when people say things like Apple makes cheap crap and sells it at a premium etc etc, when they are literally eating every hardware makers lunch at this point. The people bashing it literally have no understanding of the tech. They see things like "ARM" and think "oh its cheap mobile junk!." No understanding of the ISA, what's going on with the manufacturing process apparently ... just pure ignorance. And then it gets coupled with disdain for the product line ... so you hate something you don't even understand? I guess when I put it that way it just sounds like typical human nature. :messenger_beaming:

It is literally impossible to get a PC laptop with the performance of these new Macs at the same power draw/thermal envelope. They are astounding pieces of engineering. Now I could rail on the software side of things for Apple for awhile, but the actual computers are leading the industry without question.

Thaedolus

I'm a Windows guy and even I think this is laughable. Every software engineer/programmer I know has a Mac.

WitchHunter

Short time? They've been doing their own SoCs for like ten years. It's the typical "overnight success" story that's been going on for years in the dark that most people just aren't paying attention to. Everyone in the industry has known this stuff was coming. Apple has been trying to hire the best IC engineers out there, and bought up some people many, many years ago before they started including their own chips in the iPhone. Again, not a surprise in the slightest to people who are in the industry, and it wasn't a "short time." You just didn't notice.

it reminds me of when Esperanza Spalding won the Grammy for "Best New Artist." She made a comment along the lines of "I've been doing this my whole life ..."

Yeah, it's like that.
Okay, so Intel been doing this way longer and they failed every time. Either they weren't serious or Apple has waay better HR peepz and maybe secret sauce.

Last edited:

Gold Member
Yeah .. I don't care what people use. Even on the team I lead we have people using Windows and Mac, and we don't enforce anything. Use what you are most effective with. Both companies do some things well, and some things not so well. But it's just bizarre to me when people say things like Apple makes cheap crap and sells it at a premium etc etc, when they are literally eating every hardware makers lunch at this point. The people bashing it literally have no understanding of the tech. They see things like "ARM" and think "oh its cheap mobile junk!." No understanding of the ISA, what's going on with the manufacturing process apparently ... just pure ignorance. And then it gets coupled with disdain for the product line ... so you hate something you don't even understand? I guess when I put it that way it just sounds like typical human nature. :messenger_beaming:

It is literally impossible to get a PC laptop with the performance of these new Macs at the same power draw/thermal envelope. They are astounding pieces of engineering. Now I could rail on the software side of things for Apple for awhile, but the actual computers are leading the industry without question.
Couldn't agree more with you here, I'm a contractor and currently leading a team - we have about a 80/20 split favouring Mac.I have a top of the range Dell XPS running over WSL2 and it works perfectly for my day-to-day dev, but equally the M1 I'm typing on now is cooler, quieter and just as performant for my dev work. Some people prefer Windows and are more productive using that environment, others Mac - I don't understand the hate for either personally 🤷‍♂️

Apple is that one company that receives as much haters, as white knights. There's rarely a middle ground. I completely understand the haters, as you have articles like this one that just came out.

I don't understand the white knights on the other hand. They literally defend every single thing. It's worse than the haters, as the haters have reasons.

No charger included with the iPhone? *Applauses*

$999 stand for a monitor? *Applauses*

$699 for 4 wheels to roll your mac pro on? *Applauses*

Back on topic. I don't think people who use Apple products are stupid. I think the m1 is a pretty cool feat to accomplish. I just don't think this thread was worded correctly, and I don't see this chip making strides in gaming as a whole.

WitchHunter

What the hell are you ranting about? Do you even realise that the vast majority of software engineers / architects (myself included) would rather dev on a Mac than a Windows machine? Having a Linux like environment is a really useful when you are pushing code out to Linux servers, which the vast majority of backend systems are built upon. Yes Windows has recently come along with WSL (and its pretty decent) but are you seriously saying that everyone who buys a Mac is ignorant and talentless? Guess I should pack it up and throw my 20yr software dev career in the bin as the talentless ignorant fool I've been!

Wow...
Never too late to realize the bubble they made you to exist inside. Btw I use Windows to push things onto Windows. Linux for Linux and Mac just to show how big a dik I have.

Gold Member
Never too late to realize the bubble they made you to exist inside. Btw I use Windows to push things onto Windows. Linux for Linux and Mac just to show how big a dik I have.
I've been living a lie this whole time and I didn't even know it :messenger_face_screaming:

Same buddy, I use both Windows & Mac - but usually Mac these days. For gaming though...PS5 lol

Sosokrates

Man this is absurd.

It pretty weird that google allow there staff to use apple but not windows.
Is because they think windows is just bad or because of some deep seeded company wide competitive doctrine?

Apple are googles bigger competitor anyway.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Apple is that one company that receives as much haters, as white knights. There's rarely a middle ground. I completely understand the haters, as you have articles like this one that just came out.

I don't understand the white knights on the other hand. They literally defend every single thing. It's worse than the haters, as the haters have reasons.

No charger included with the iPhone? *Applauses*

$999 stand for a monitor? *Applauses*

$699 for 4 wheels to roll your mac pro on? *Applauses*

Back on topic. I don't think people who use Apple products are stupid. I think the m1 is a pretty cool feat to accomplish. I just don't think this thread was worded correctly, and I don't see this chip making strides in gaming as a whole.
It won't make strides in gaming because Apple is awful at shepherding gaming on their platforms. They could do so much to enable and support gaming but they treat it like the crap that exists on mobile gaming is what gaming is all about. We know it's not, and we know that stuff makes gaming look cheap and silly. The hardware IS incredible, but it also does take software to get the most out of it. And yeah, on the gaming side, it's a complete non-starter. Absolutely no doubt. So in a way, it's a bit wasted in terms of the GPU, unless you're doing heavy GPU compute, and Windows is typically better there for obvious reasons. The CPU upgrades will be very usable in many ways however. :messenger_beaming:

Yeah I don't understand the "white knights" either. There are guys like Gruber that make me want to vomit. Yeah, a 19 dollar cleaning cloth is absurd (and definitely has a touch of arrogance). Metal is not as functional as it should be. Vulkan should be natively supported by Apple. The 1k monitor stand is one of the dumbest things I've seen. Their software has become increasingly buggy and poorly managed over the years, to the point where devs are getting pretty pissed. They make evil choices in their business practices (go look at what I say about them in the Epic trial threads).

Again, I can say just as many bad things about Apple as good. I just like to insist on being fair and recognizing reality. For the life of me I don't understand treating mega rich corporations like your favorite sports team. None of them care about you beyond the money you hand over ...

Sosokrates

I've been living a lie this whole time and I didn't even know it :messenger_face_screaming:

Same buddy, I use both Windows & Mac - but usually Mac these days. For gaming though...PS5 lol

If you are playstation only this gen you are going to miss out on more then ever. No platform has ever had 23 studios.

Sosokrates

It won't make strides in gaming because Apple is awful at shepherding gaming on their platforms. They could do so much to enable and support gaming but they treat it like the crap that exists on mobile gaming is what gaming is all about. We know it's not, and we know that stuff makes gaming look cheap and silly. The hardware IS incredible, but it also does take software to get the most out of it. And yeah, on the gaming side, it's a complete non-starter. Absolutely no doubt. So in a way, it's a bit wasted in terms of the GPU, unless you're doing heavy GPU compute, and Windows is typically better there for obvious reasons. The CPU upgrades will be very usable in many ways however. :messenger_beaming:

Yeah I don't understand the "white knights" either. There are guys like Gruber that make me want to vomit. Yeah, a 19 dollar cleaning cloth is absurd (and definitely has a touch of arrogance). Metal is not as functional as it should be. Vulkan should be natively supported by Apple. The 1k monitor stand is one of the dumbest things I've seen. Their software has become increasingly buggy and poorly managed over the years, to the point where devs are getting pretty pissed. They make evil choices in their business practices (go look at what I say about them in the Epic trial threads).

Again, I can say just as many bad things about Apple as good. I just like to insist on being fair and recognizing reality. For the life of me I don't understand treating mega rich corporations like your favorite sports team. None of them care about you beyond the money you hand over ...
Isnt more more money made from games on ios then playstation, Nintendo switch and xbox combined?

Gold Member
If you are playstation only this gen you are going to miss out on more then ever. No platform has ever had 23 studios.
I'm no PS fanboy, but my gaming time is limited and my friends are on PS. Those studios are yet to produce anything that has piqued my interest, but if/when they do I'll be sure to be playing them.

WitchHunter

You buy highly priced apple things you showcase how retarded you are. It's the stupid or "I want to belong to somewhere" tax.

Lol dude. Whenever I need extended documentation on Apple APIs, I look at Microsoft’s documentation of it. Somehow Microsoft documents apples stuff better than they do

The writing is already on the wall. It's so obvious to developers that native x86 doesn't offer anything. Shit on mobile gaming all you want but ARM processors will serve as the core for ubiquitous computing. When you're laying in bed fapping to VR porn and playing whatever game on your VR/AR headset - it'll be powered by an efficient ARM processor, not a shitty x86. ARM already surrounds you.

But at the end of the day. Apple doesn't give a shit what gamer's opinions are. They're building out this chipset and racking up the performance for their own needs. It's not gaming they're pursuing.

Not doing a great job of making a case for ARM overtaking x86 in gaming.

Genx3

You buy highly priced apple things you showcase how retarded you are. It's the stupid or "I want to belong to somewhere" tax.
What a terrible post.

Maybe Apple's products aren't for you but Apple's quality is 2nd to none and 2nd place is far behind.

What you don't understand is that people can look and judge a product without looking which company made it.
These new chips and macs?
Good.
The 19 buck piece of cloth?
Bad.

It's not hard.
Praising something good don't make you a "white knight" of a "fanboy", not need to be scared, just try people, admit that his thing is good, will do no harm to you.

offtopic: read Ars Technica piece and comments about the flannel, it's hilarious: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...les-19-polishing-cloth-slip-to-late-november/

The Polishing Cloth boasts support for an impressive range of Apple products, which Apple lists out in detail on the Cloth's product page. The list includes iPhones as old as 2014's iPhone 6, every generation of Apple Watch, and even the old iPod nano and iPod shuffle. Without testing, however, we can't confirm whether the Polishing Cloth will adequately polish older unsupported devices or non-Apple gadgets like Android phones or the Nintendo Switch.
"The polishing cloths are made from a special attenuated Nappa nanofiber. Apple R&D has perfected the polarization of each nano filament into a plane of alternating wave forms, what we're calling Schrodinger Adhesors. And the results are incredible: with a single wipe you can't tell if 57% of the visible surface matter is there or not. With two wipes this goes up to an incredible 84%. There has never been a more effective way to uncertainly eliminate the appearance of visible surface matter before."

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
It's like when Nintendo had a console more powerful than Sony at one point.

But no one wanted to make games for it.

lol

jigglet

Banned
Maybe Apple's products aren't for you but Apple's quality is 2nd to none and 2nd place is far behind.

The quality is off the charts. People have good reasons to hate them, but this is not one of them. I have a friend that waxes poetic about how Apple fans are sheep and drones on and on and on non-stop about his hate for Apple. I said to him once - you know I haven't brought up Apple in like 5 years as I know you hate them, but you mention them literally every time we meet? Who's the one droning on and on about what?

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
I'm a Windows guy and even I think this is laughable. Every software engineer/programmer I know has a Mac.
Who gives a f about your app or web devs? Nobody working in serious domains I interact with is allowed a Mac, unless it's for side admin tasks. I have had Macbook/Powerbooks since the late 90s and know this environnement pretty well, so when I say I'm on board with executives wanting to ban profiles for high-profile task using new Macs unless they can demonstrate their ability to work, which they can't for simple reasons of either compatibility or availability, and because this shows terrible equipment judgement, again in dedicated tasks.

You're the one that makes me laugh with your students or whatever webdev guys comparing it to high security, analytical, research, engineering or even entertainment/ads softwares...

Notabueno

Banned
Man this is absurd.

This is a fake news from 2010 except: https://www.wired.com/2012/05/google-and-windows/
Google is obligated to use Windows (which is terrible for stability and security), because you can only do so much with Mac or Linux.

As I've stated, I've been working with Macs since the late 90s, you're most likely not going to teach me anything. And I did say I'm perfectly fine with people using older Macs. But anything recent with no vulkan, high data vulnerability, intel compatibility, no standard port etc...yeah fine with low entry jobs, otherwise executive and heads I know are now skipping very fast over candidate with Macs be it for the simple show of poor judgement and high susceptibility to influence it shows (although the reason is again: you can do any serious work with it), and I agree.

But the new Macbook pro with the notch....no, sorry screw you if you buy and therefor show up with that. It's such a design blasphemy...

Notabueno

Banned
So you are an IT support guy?
I'm not the one who hires them unless they're high profiles/critical, however I vouch for a ban on any profiles who show up with the recent Macs for these positions. Again I still have a 2015 something Mac, mostly an Asus for serious work. I think the real reason I don't tolerate people with poor judgement on tech is because not only I grew up with Mac but this is also expected of me to have great judgement.

Why do you think absolutely no serious/high softwares are on Mac? As if games weren't already an indicator despite the OSX UX being better...

Notabueno

Banned

Wow...

Depending on your profile, I can tell you either don't work in any critical software task, or if you did, I would fire you unless you've not only secured your Mac and it is compatible with the cores and backs, I just non-arbitrarily decided to vouch for not hiring people for those specific positions that would present themselves with a MBP that has a notch in the middle of it.

RCU005

Would be nice if u could game on a mac
It seems a silly idea and one to make fun of, but it would be great if Apple start taking it seriously and reach a deal with with either Valve or Epic to get more games to Mac. Or Sony since they are looking to get their games on PC, so they can add Mac to that.

The power is there

Thaedolus

Who gives a f about your app or web devs? Nobody working in serious domains I interact with is allowed a Mac, unless it's for side admin tasks. I have had Macbook/Powerbooks since the late 90s and know this environnement pretty well, so when I say I'm on board with executives wanting to ban profiles for high-profile task using new Macs unless they can demonstrate their ability to work, which they can't for simple reasons of either compatibility or availability, and because this shows terrible equipment judgement, again in dedicated tasks.

You're the one that makes me laugh with your students or whatever webdev guys comparing it to high security, analytical, research, engineering or even entertainment/ads softwares...

One rule of thumb I’ve learned in life is that when someone talks as much shit as you do, it’s because they’re full of shit and it just has to get out.

Top Bottom