• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple VS Epic. Actual Permanent Injunction and Judgement

TrueLegend

I know a thread exists but that is pointing to secondary news.
This the original document link for Injunction
Microsoft Word - 20-5640 - Epic Games - Permanent Injunction.docx (uscourts.gov)

1. Apple Inc. and its officers, agents, servants, employees, and any person in active concert or participation with them (“Apple”), are hereby permanently restrained and enjoined from prohibiting developers from (i) including in their apps and their metadata buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms, in addition to In-App Purchasing and (ii) communicating with customers through points of contact, obtained voluntarily from customers through account registration within the app.

2. Any party may seek a modification of this Order, at any time, by written motion and for good cause based on changed circumstances or otherwise.

3. The Court will retain jurisdiction over the enforcement and amendment of the injunction. If any part of this Order is violated by any party named herein or any other person, the plaintiff may, by motion with notice to the attorneys for the defendant, apply for sanctions or other relief that may be appropriate.

4. This injunction will take effect in ninety (90) days.

TLDR:

1. Developers can direct in-app payments to the payment system of their choice.
2. The injunction is permanent, the content could be modified but not to the degree that it alters the intended effect.
3. This whole thing is applicable to the limit of the jurisdiction of the court.

Here is Judgement
Microsoft Word - 20-5640 - Epic Games - Judgment.docx (uscourts.gov)

On the complaint, in favor of plaintiff Epic Games, Inc. on the Tenth Count for violation of California’s Unfair Competition Law (with a separate injunction issuing herewith) and in favor of defendant Apple, Inc. on all other counts; On the counterclaim, in favor of Apple on the counterclaim for breach of contract.

Epic Games shall pay (1) damages in an amount equal to (i) 30% of the $12,167,719 in revenue Epic Games collected from users in the Fortnite app on iOS through Epic Direct Payment between August and October 2020, plus (ii) 30% of any such revenue Epic Games collected from November 1, 2020 through the date of judgment, and interest according to law. The second and third counts are denied as moot. The claim for declaratory judgment is granted in part as set forth therein.

TLDR:
1. Apple can't force developers to use their payment system for purchases and services they offer through the app
2. No other app store will be in Apple Store
3. Apple can still charge a commission of 30% on its own payment systems
4. Both are saying they are reappealing
5. This is split judgment

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Apps will get free and gimped. Then contain a link outsides to buy it

Apps will get free and gimped. Then contain a link outsides to buy it
Apple can just disallow free apps on the app store. Or make free apps go through heavier curation to ensure that they offer appreciable functionality, while paid apps are unaffected.

Graciaus

I don't see how Apple or anyone in a similar position losing benifits consumers. I'm sure there are loopholes Apple can apply anyway. If you want to use their store then pay them.

I don't see how Apple or anyone in a similar position losing benifits consumers. I'm sure there are loopholes Apple can apply anyway. If you want to use their store then pay them.

It's not clear how them losing wouldn't benefit consumers either.

Consumers won't be meaningfully affected either way. Rather Apple and all other wall garden/digital store fronts would just have to take a smaller cut.

Top Bottom