• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to terminate all developer accounts and cut off Epic off from IOS and Mac development tools

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Indeed, of all the "buh mah tirms and condishas" yours was exceptional: you've added "white anti-apple fragility" into perspective.
Brilliant.
Poor, poor EPIC. Glad you're here to stand up for them. 🤭

Spoiler alert: mocking EPIC for a stupid decision doesn't mean I support Apple or even agree with their ToS.

Excuse my loud yawn when massive corpos willfully choose to start these dramas and then predictably run to social media to garner sympathy.

ik3

Neo Member
Responding to a "that's the rule argument doesn't fly against 'that rule is not acceptable'" with "that's the rule".
Very bright.
Are you on cocaine? Your ill-educated and unfounded opinion that Apple and Google’s rules are not acceptable has no basis in legal facts, you just seem to think that contract law should be no more binding than a drunken Kardashian Tweet, meanwhile these terms have not been deemed unacceptable in court, and so consequently there’s no reason for anyone to give a single weeping fuck about your personal, delicate feelings towards contracts. Hopefully now you can see why it’s not very bright to hold up your worthless drivel as being something no-one should dare to disagree with. Hope this helps.

llien

basis in legal facts
Kardashian
feelings towards contracts

In other words, "but muh T&C".
Again, very bright.
And, this time, also innovative. (y)

This isn't about EPIC, this is about Apple.

No it isn’t.
Yes it is. Unlike with other platforms, you need Apple's blessing to develop.

This is exactly what happened, a company was banned from PC OS.

Imagine someone making a Pro Standard Oil argument like that "yeah, conditions are so fucking bad legislation is about to hit us, but couldn't they have negotiated kinda deal with us, maybe we'd let them have a penny off".
Surely, company that just banned game streaming from its platform (Microsoft, Stadia) who can tell The Leather Man (mcap of 250 billion) to go to a bathroom have solo kamasutra, would "maybe do something".

There was a "homo soveticus" concept in USSR. When people were to dumb to see obvious things about power and misuse of it, it was written off as soviet legacy. Western people, we were told, feel the nuance.

No, they are fucking not. I'm disgusted with comments in this thread.

Responding to a "that's the rule argument doesn't fly against 'that rule is not acceptable'" with "that's the rule".
Very bright.

There are things that can be put in contracts (of which TOS is the lesser form) and there are things which could not.
If Microsoft would announce that all software for Windows (they've created it, remember) needs their blessing to exist, oh and could only be sold from Windows Store, oh and they'd get 30% cut off all sales, oh AND IF REFUND IS ISSUED, THOSE 30% ARE NOT RETURNED TO THE DEVELOPER (no, I'm not making things up, Apple is that stinky), yeah, surely, the world would just shrug it off as "but it's their windowz"....

Ooooh boy. Let the Apple hate flow right through you buddy. Does it feel good?

1) <20% market share of smartphones worldwide. Not a monopoly.
2) No one held a gun to anyone’s head and forced them to buy an Apple phone. A smartphone is “opt-in”, my friend. There is a market and a choice to the end consumer.
3) Don’t like their ToS, the cut they take, their walled garden or which apps they decide to allow on their own stored?

Buy a different fucking phone.

It is really, really not rocket science. Though seeing you being blinded by pure rage and hatred is very fucking funny.

wipeout364

So Apple versus the Epic, Tencent, Sony, Riot games, And Funcom all backed by the Chinese Government who manufactures all Apples products. With Allies in (partial ownership) Ubisoft, Activision, Paradox, Bluehole, Frontier and platinum games and Microsoft and google providing expert witness support.

llien

Apple's shitty practices are bad for this planet.
Twitter's shitty practices are bad for this planet.
Amazon's shitty practices are bad for this planet.
This list isn't complete either.
(and EPIC is nowhere at that level of impact, to even be worth mentioning in that list)

I don't care if it is legal or not.
It does not matter if it is legal or not.
The Standard Oil Company was legal too, until it stopped being legal.

I understand pulling Fortnite and banning Epic from selling on their store, but restricting access to dev tools is bullshit.
Apple hurts other developers because Tim Cuck thinks he's Steve Jobs and tried to make a big Jobs style unforgiving decision. This is blind retaliation that helps nobody and only strengthens Epic's argument.

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is all about money. When you accept a movie streaming service how much additional cash can be made once sub is paid? You can watch movie or not. You don't keep paying over and over again to watch more shows. When you sign up for Gamepass and have access to 100s of games is there additional money to be made? DLC and MX are a big part of games now and Apple would get ZERO of that. If they got a cut they wouldn't care. Business is cutthroat.

Except Apple didn't say ANYTHING about a cut. They wanted MS to submit all 100 games individually for approval, when the games aren't even being hosted on the App Store. They're on MS servers and are streaming. That's no different than Netflix. But because Apple is developing their own game streaming service they're trying to keep competition off their platform. Which is actually against antitrust.

Herr Edgy

Spoiler alert: mocking EPIC for a stupid decision doesn't mean I support Apple or even agree with their ToS.

Excuse my loud yawn when massive corpos willfully choose to start these dramas and then predictably run to social media to garner sympathy.
This is much larger than a big company trying to get some bucks. Why are you not seeing it?
Maybe it's because I'm a dev and I presume you are not, so I can see why this could seem like a petty war between companies that don't affect you, but let me assure you, they do.
It's easy to become used to a situation that others have created for you, but in no way that does mean that it has to be this way or that it couldn't be better.

Trust me when I say that, as a consumer, you will profit a lot if devs are allowed more financial freedom (due to platform freedom). Devs are just people who want to create cool things and are 99% of the time totally disconnected from the corporate greed that you experience in big companies, in particular publishers. By giving them more freedom you allow them to create things according to their vision rather than letting corporate dictate as much.
And that's just concerning the long term. In the short term, and what is constantly overlooked here, is that Epic literally just lowered prices on vbucks due to that.
And no, the 30% cut of Apple being removed in favor for a 20% price cut does not invalidate the price cut and the assumption they are making 10% more money in the first place is wrong to begin with, because instead Epic is eating transaction fees, refunds etc. (not saying there couldn't be some couple % leftover, but the majority would be eaten by all the costs incurred by their own payment system).

Also, since I've seen the example brought up at some point:
EGS does allow direct payment of the games they host. They don't force those 12% of the games' in-app purchases.

Also, since you say it was a 'stupid decision' on Epic's part: no matter if they will win or not, it was deliberate, and this is all just preparation for the court trial(s). I think they have valid chances of success, and if there is truth in that, I'm sure you couldn't say it was a stupid decision, no?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This is much larger than a big company trying to get some bucks. Why are you not seeing it?
I am seeing it. I just disagree with your conclusion. EPIC wants to chip away at a bigger storefront and therefore decided to push the envelope by breaking the TOS and quickly following it up with a PR campaign and social-media bitchfest. This is not the first time EPIC has tried to hide behind the "David vs Goliath" mask and it won't likely be the last. Why are you not seeing it?

Maybe it's because I'm a dev and I presume you are not, so I can see why this could seem like a petty war between companies that don't affect you, but let me assure you, they do.
It's easy to become used to a situation that others have created for you, but in no way that does mean that it has to be this way or that it couldn't be better.
Sure.

But execution is everything. The abstract arguments about fairness and Apple's practices etc etc do not in any way alter the actual events of this situation. At best, you can appeal to my emotion and cry out for JUSTICE, but I am not really that interested. EPIC made this decision. Apple clapped back. EPIC am cry. I don't care.

Trust me when I say that, as a consumer, you will profit a lot if devs are allowed more financial freedom (due to platform freedom). Devs are just people who want to create cool things and are 99% of the time totally disconnected from the corporate greed that you experience in big companies, in particular publishers. By giving them more freedom you allow them to create things according to their vision rather than letting corporate dictate as much.
PC market has been dangling this carrot for decades while these massive corpos (Apple and EPIC included) swallow up storefront space, brand recognition, etc etc etc

And then they piecemeal out "freedom" from within their walled gardens and post some soundbites from a few devs who really really think that THIS PLATFORM is the place for true freedom instead of the OTHER PLATFORM.

It's a big marketing shell game.

And that's just concerning the long term. In the short term, and what is constantly overlooked here, is that Epic literally just lowered prices on vbucks due to that.
And no, the 30% cut of Apple being removed in favor for a 20% price cut does not invalidate the price cut and the assumption they are making 10% more money in the first place is wrong to begin with, because instead Epic is eating transaction fees, refunds etc. (not saying there couldn't be some couple % leftover, but the majority would be eaten by all the costs incurred by their own payment system).

EGS does allow direct payment of the games they host. They don't force those 12% of the games' in-app purchases.

Also, since you say it was a 'stupid decision' on Epic's part: no matter if they will win or not, it was deliberate, and this is all just preparation for the court trial(s). I think they have valid chances of success, and if there is truth that, I'm sure you couldn't say it was a stupid decision, no?
If EPIC is upset about their games being pulled, and if devs that use EPIC's engine are upset, who instigated this situation?

That is the "stupid decision". They are gambling away their reputation in a manner that they've attempted before. It may pay off in the end, but it would still be a valid critique to ask if they could have gone about it another way. Even so, forecasting some possible future success is not going to change my mind about the reality of the current circumstances.

Also, since you say it was a 'stupid decision' on Epic's part: no matter if they will win or not, it was deliberate, and this is all just preparation for the court trial(s). I think they have valid chances of success, and if there is truth that, I'm sure you couldn't say it was a stupid decision, no?

You do realise that if Apple don't satisfy their consumer base - i.e. supply them with the apps / programs / games they want, people will just buy a different phone or use a different service? It's called the market. Decisions that companies make influence people's buying habits. Forcing companies to change (who in my view, are not really doing anything wrong), is authoritarian and unnecessary. I would suggest everyone who is unhappy with this decision should hit Apple where it hurts, their wallet. If others are happy with their service, that's their prerogative and they should continue to buy their products until that changes.

I'm gutted that I can't play the THPS 1&2 remaster on PC because it's an Epic Store exclusive. Instead of levelling my rage at Epic, I'm going to be mildly disappointed and then get the game on Steam when it launches next year. My hope, is that many other people will feel the same, and that companies, in the long-run, will stop going for Epic exclusive deals. I'm happy with Steam, happy with the service and happy with the prices. I had the EGS for about a week before hightailing out of that garbage launcher and deleting it off my PC. It's a shame Epic is swinging it's big dick around and trying to upset the market (in a way I believe to be unfair in comparison with Apple having their own store prices / rules), but I'm not going to lose sleep over it, I'll use my dollar. Everyone bitching about this decision should do exactly the same thing and ignore this fucking joke of a lawsuit.

llien

Also, since you say it was a 'stupid decision' on Epic's part: no matter if they will win or not, it was deliberate, and this is all just preparation for the court trial(s). I think they have valid chances of success, and if there is truth in that, I'm sure you couldn't say it was a stupid decision, no?
They might have hoped for PR aspect of it, not realizing how bad things are.

ik3

Neo Member
In other words, "but muh T&C".

We’re sorry, the Epic store, and China, do not accept Slobbering Bootwanks as payment. Please select a different currency to continue.

Seriously though, I don’t get it. Do you think companies should just disregard contract terms when they don’t like them, or want to make more money? The Standard Oil Company was broken up because the nation was in uproar, whereas most of us want people that buy emotes and dance animations to suffer debilitating physical pain.

I don't care if it is legal or not.
It does not matter if it is legal or not.

giphy.gif

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
You do realise that if Apple don't satisfy their consumer base - i.e. supply them with the apps / programs / games they want, people will just buy a different phone or use a different service? It's called the market. Decisions that companies make influence people's buying habits. Forcing companies to change (who in my view, are not really doing anything wrong), is authoritarian and unnecessary. I would suggest everyone who is unhappy with this decision should hit Apple where it hurts, their wallet. If others are happy with their service, that's their prerogative and they should continue to buy their products until that changes.

I'm gutted that I can't play the THPS 1&2 remaster on PC because it's an Epic Store exclusive. Instead of levelling my rage at Epic, I'm going to be mildly disappointed and then get the game on Steam when it launches next year. My hope, is that many other people will feel the same, and that companies, in the long-run, will stop going for Epic exclusive deals. I'm happy with Steam, happy with the service and happy with the prices. I had the EGS for about a week before hightailing out of that garbage launcher and deleting it off my PC. It's a shame Epic is swinging it's big dick around and trying to upset the market (in a way I believe to be unfair in comparison with Apple having their own store prices / rules), but I'm not going to lose sleep over it, I'll use my dollar. Everyone bitching about this decision should do exactly the same thing and ignore this fucking joke of a lawsuit.

this, Im in the Apple eco system and they didnt get the apps I wanted for the Apple TV, so I dropped them for roku. Prob gonna go back when next version is announced becuase now roku isn’t getting the new streaming apps. It’s how shit works.

Herr Edgy

DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi
I get where you are coming from, and of course it was instigated by Epic. But I don't see them crying, I see them gathering support to improve their chances of success. It's just calculating.

It is true, of course, that Epic triggered Apple. And if they did not, users of Unreal Engine wouldn't face this problem either. But that is, and I do not use the term lightly, victim shaming.
Apple did not pull developer access for Epic due to the TOS breaking (because that happens all the time for basically every developer), but due to the lawsuit, and the lawsuit in itself should not be a cause to lash out and hurt so many unrelated devs. This is on Apple, not on Epic. Epic has tried non-legal avenues before (as outlined by Tim Sweeney), and was rejected. Now it's in the court's responsibility to decide and I don't think that's Epic being whiny, it's them going the last possible route.

Your description is akin to the kid that gets bullied and at one point decides to lash out, which triggers even more violence from the bully. Could you really say it's the kid's fault? (And no, I'm not saying poor poor Epic, but Epic is representative here for many many devs around the world; it's the parallels that count here). They aren't asking for pity. They started this particular conflict in a 'war' that has been silently going on for a long time. They are asking for support, because that's what makes sense for both consumers and devs alike.

And regarding your section about the different platforms being hailed as the new bringer of freedom. It's not a carrot. There are literally devs right now, profitting off of decreased revenue splits due to the EGS 12% cut. There are devs on Twitter talking about the difference it makes.
We are also business people, if we talk about freedom we aren't talking about this idealized absolute form where everyone can do whatever whereever however and whenever.
We are talking about freedom as far as makes sense, and that additional freedom will help devs and consumers, as it has been doing already.
Steam did it once before when it was new (or rather digital distribution in general), and it's time for a paradigm shift as many years have passed since then and the situation has changed.

12% and 30% aren't just magic numbers that people will use to fight their petty platforms wars. Those are real, tangible influences on the entire industry.

llien

Of all the hurdles mentioned in the thread, the poor guy who mentioned being forced to install yet another software launcher, when responding to a post by an actual developer, was the most empathy worthy.

Hargate

To all the devs in this tread you need to remember for every one of you good devs there are 100s of shitty devs with no ethics. If they allow a bypass people will use and exploit it.

Reactions: ik3

Herr Edgy

You guys always seem to have this image in your head of a baby crying how unfair everything is and that's why you don't want to give support, because if you did, you feel like you are supporting weakness.
But maybe that image of yours is wrong?
Why not imagine good guy Chad that starts a fight on behalf of consumers and devs alike (including themselves, sure), making use of their power to do exactly what you are saying we should do? Vote with our wallet.
What do you think is their PR campaign for? Make people aware of Apple's practices so that they won't support them any longer. If people decide they don't want to support Apple anymore due to the situation, isn't that exactly what you are advocating for? Or would you call that 'manipulation'? And if so, why? Can't people draw their own conclusions based on the information that is being put out there? Are they all just sheep?

llLeonhart

For once I have to side with Apple on this one. There was malicious intent on EPIC's part. They knew exactly what they were doing and why they were doing it.

I get that people want open platforms on the basis of smartphone = PC now, but you do have options. You don't need to confirm to a closed ecosystem, there's android, where you can have your own store if you want, but even then, EPIC's little stunt managed to got themselves banned from Google Play as well.

Make no mistake, selling a product at a cheaper price on your own store is effectively trying to kill competition, and that also open the door for them to not offer refunds, which is a big problem.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi
I get where you are coming from, and of course it was instigated by Epic. But I don't see them crying, I see them gathering support to improve their chances of success. It's just calculating.

It is true, of course, that Epic triggered Apple. And if they did not, users of Unreal Engine wouldn't face this problem either. But that is, and I do not use the term lightly, victim shaming.
Neither EPIC nor Apple are "victims". You are indeed using the term lightly because this is ascending to new heights of corpo white knighting.

Apple did not pull developer access for Epic due to the TOS breaking (because that happens all the time for basically every developer), but due to the lawsuit, and the lawsuit in itself should not be a cause to lash out and hurt so many unrelated devs.
You can get your PSN account banned and lose access to all games if you do a chargeback on the cc on file. Not sure if other storefronts do the same but PSN is the one I know about. My point is that "small" infractions can lead to disproportionate retaliation. Not fair? Maybe.

You and I could go back and forth on what should or should not be a cause to lash out, but let me turn your logic back on you:

EPIC made their choices, they are gathering support, they are calculating, etc.

Is not Apple doing the same thing? Why do you grant that to EPIC and not Apple?

As I have already mentioned (but I will repeat): EPIC is provoking competitor storefronts. They are trying to swing around their zoomer Fortnite weight to force changes, making the market more favorable for themselves and their own storefront.

Apple banning them and banning the tools isn't "crying" either. I see them looking at what EPIC is attempting to do long-term and is nipping it in the bud to improve their chances of success. It's just calculating.

This is on Apple, not on Epic. Epic has tried non-legal avenues before (as outlined by Tim Sweeney), and was rejected. Now it's in the court's responsibility to decide and I don't think that's Epic being whiny, it's them going the last possible route.
EPIC instigated. EPIC has their own store and therefore is 100% unreliant on Apple, Google, etc for their income stream. It would be one thing if EPIC was a small publisher booted off for controversial political / ideological beliefs, but this is a corpo that decided to push forward with breaking the TOS and had an army of lawyers and twitter mouths at the ready.

Your description is akin to the kid that gets bullied and at one point decides to lash out, which triggers even more violence from the bully.
WHO IS BULLYING EPIC?

Could you really say it's the kid's fault? (And no, I'm not saying poor poor Epic, but Epic is representative here for many many devs around the world; it's the parallels that count here). They aren't asking for pity. They started this particular conflict in a 'war' that has been silently going on for a long time. They are asking for support, because that's what makes sense for both consumers and devs alike.

And regarding your section about the different platforms being hailed as the new bringer of freedom. It's not a carrot. There are literally devs right now, profitting off of decreased revenue splits due to the EGS 12% cut. There are devs on Twitter talking about the difference it makes.
We are also business people, if we talk about freedom we aren't talking about this idealized absolute form where everyone can do whatever whereever however and whenever.
We are talking about freedom as far as makes sense, and that additional freedom will help devs and consumers, as it has been doing already.
Steam did it once before when it was new (or rather digital distribution in general), and it's time for a paradigm shift as many years have passed since then and the situation has changed.

12% and 30% aren't just magic numbers that people will use to fight their petty platforms wars. Those are real, tangible influences on the entire industry.
I am not going to keep going around in circles for poor poor EPIC arguments. You are selectively applying emotional appeals to EPIC and not to Apple. I mean, it's not a good argument regardless of who you apply it to, but when you insist that it applies to EPIC and not Apple I have to just laugh.

Especially when people want to accuse anyone who laughs at EPIC as an "Apple defender".

What's next? Are the crybabies gonna start calling the forum AppleGAF if they don't get to win the argument and screech? lol wouldn't surprise me at all.

Last edited:

Mahadev

No it isn’t.

Yes it is. Explain how Epic can put its products on Apple devices now that it has been banned from the Apple store.

It's actually worse than getting banned from Windows because Apple sells both the OS and hardware together.

Last edited:

llien

Seriously though, I don’t get it.
That much was obvious.

Do you think companies should just disregard contract terms when they don’t like them, or want to make more money? The Standard Oil Company was broken up...

The SOC was broken up, despite being 100% legal, let it sink in.
Something legal, was declared illegal. Why?

Because laws are mere reflection of something else: largely, our concept of fairness.
Even lower primates have it:

opinion that Apple and Google’s rules are not acceptable has no basis in legal facts,

Lets ignore the rest of your rant and focus on this statement.
Because that is exactly what this whole thing is about.
Right now, your statement is correct. But only because it hasn't been tested in court yet. That is what these lawsuits will do. Test that in court. Which is a good thing. As much as I agree that litigation in the US is insane because of how small issues can get blown up and the "I'll sue you" culture is nuts, having these cases does lead to legal opinions being established.
It is very possible that the outcome of this will be that Apple and Google's terms are anti competitive and so illegal.

Of all the hurdles mentioned in the thread, the poor guy who mentioned being forced to install yet another software launcher, when responding to a post by an actual developer, was the most empathy worthy.

I tried Epic's product and it sucked balls.
Now I don't and won't give them my money and I'll get on with my life.
I wasn't forced to do anything because I'm not a little bitch who struggles to make his own decisions. I downloaded it of my own free will and deleted it using the same method.

If you're gonna call me out, quote me or tag me. Or are you a little bitch?

You guys always seem to have this image in your head of a baby crying how unfair everything is and that's why you don't want to give support, because if you did, you feel like you are supporting weakness.
But maybe that image of yours is wrong?
Why not imagine good guy Chad that starts a fight on behalf of consumers and devs alike (including themselves, sure), making use of their power to do exactly what you are saying we should do? Vote with our wallet.
What do you think is their PR campaign for? Make people aware of Apple's practices so that they won't support them any longer. If people decide they don't want to support Apple anymore due to the situation, isn't that exactly what you are advocating for? Or would you call that 'manipulation'? And if so, why? Can't people draw their own conclusions based on the information that is being put out there? Are they all just sheep?

Epic can do whatever they want. They can say whatever they want about Apple, have whatever cartoon villain they want in their game and tell people Apple is evil and bad. I couldn't give less of a fuck, that's their prerogative.

I think the lawsuit is a joke because it's not based on any kind of common sense or actual anti-trust law. It's all part of the marketing.

I've heard Epic's arguments, and I've heard Apple's. I've made my decision where I stand. Others are free to make their own choice. But saying Apple is a "monopoly" or "violating anti-trust" is factually inaccurate and Epic knows exactly what it's doing and using these lies to manipulate their relatively young fan base. I think it's disgusting, but that doesn't really matter, it's just an opinion. People should draw their own conclusion based on the information available.

Because laws are mere reflection of something else: largely, our concept of fairness.
Even lower primates have it:

That's a very basic human concept that we're unlearning again. We've reached the point where people feel good when their favorite company gets treated better than they themselves. People live vicariously through their favorite brands as their own lifes suck.

Epic just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Chinese culture (I'm an expert), but Piracy and Copyright Infringement are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by making innovative products. If you fuck someone over in China, you bring Re-Education to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that Re-Education is Capitalistic Exposure.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to download FortNite for any system, nor will they purchase any of Epic's games. (Even if they are Free)

This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Epic has alienated the entire App market with this move.

Epic, publicly apologize and pay Apple for the errors of MTX in FortNite or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
This only fucks the fans, because Epic wanted that 30% of the money they were loosing. Yea it adds up, but they knew full well what the TOS was before they got in that ecosystem.

A YouTube lawyer who will not be involved in the case cannot decide the case.

You need to remember so much of what happens in a courtroom is based on opinions and interpretation of law and previous cases.
What one lawyer thinks may well be the opposite of what another thinks.
What one judge decides, another judge may overrule.

The only people who can say if Apple and Google have violated Anti-Trust law are the lawyers and judges who are going to be involved in this case and who will decide the outcome of the case. And no doubt whichever side "wins", the other side will probably appeal!

but they knew full well what the TOS was before they got in that ecosystem.

If Apple are found to be breaking Anti-Trust laws - the fact that Epic knew about and agreed to the contract with Apple is immaterial.

Last edited:
When a company decided to stab another company in the back, the one being stabbed has the incentive to disproportionately retaliate, to set an example.
Epic decided to make themselves the enemy of Apple. Epic has no idea what it means to make enemies. Because for Apple, this is personal. When you generate hostility, your enemy would spend money to see you suffer. This is WAR, and war is not logical. Apple is doing things that will annoy a lot of innocent customers and developers, but Apple does not care. Because when you wage war, it is either all or nothing.

Epic is not ready for Apple to go all out. And that is exactly why Apple went all out. Apple went right for the throat instead of negotiating. I don't play Epic games and don't own any Apple products, so this will be pure entertainment on my perspective.

I expect Epic to fall flat on its face. Steam was too kind, Apple is the real deal when it comes to corporate power.

How about you answer it? Especially as a Software Engineer, you think it would be fine if Windows started banning programs they weren't fine with?

No, I wouldn't be fine. But I wouldn't put a program in there and then try to sabotage the system.
In fact, Microsoft had to go to court for trying to make something similar with Internet Explorer. Not banning them but making it difficult to use other programs and slowing down your system.

and distributing them via Windows Store only?

As long as they have the same rules as today, I would be fine.

The difference is that Windows was "open" from the beginning, iOS didn't. It was much more closed than now.

How about we take away your precious Chrome or Firefox? And all the other 3rd party programms that Windows might have a program for?

That would be shit and make me never go back to Windows.
But would Microsoft do it? They would lose a lot of customers for doing it.

Also it makes virtually no sense to root for Apple. It's like people that do so are living in this world where everything is 2D, therefore nothing exists under the surface and they judge everything by its face value.

I really don't like Apple, never had any of their products. They're too snob for me. But in this case, they are right.
I'm not rooting for Epic, they broke an agreement. I would think the same if it was Microsoft, Google or someone no one knows.
Don't say me Epic's doing all this because they want a better world. They just want their own store so they take 100% revenue.

If someone puts a gun to your head and forces you to sign a paper that removes your human rights you'd deem it lawful given you signed a contract, right?

Well that's an easy one. I prefer the bullet in my head. It would be unlawful.
In this case Epic wasn't forced to put their app into Apple's ecosystem. They wanted to reach Apple iOS's customers, signed a contract to pay Apple 30% of their revenue and then, one day they thought that was unfair and decided to break the rules.
The problem is that they accepted and then broke it. If they would have rejected the deal and attacked Apple from outside I would be in their side.
They didn't.

No, you wouldn't, and the mere fact that people like you act like this is the end all be all and context doesn't matter to highly complex situations makes me think you are far removed from the reality of the situation. The case Epic is building is all about not having a choice than to 'agree' to their terms if you want to reach, what, 30% of the global market when it comes to mobile.

Yeah, but that case was made breaking rules in the first place, so it's unfounded.
A different thing would be if Epic took the case to court before making the agreement. Or more plausible, they should have removed their app first from the store and then present the case.

It's not about having to pay 30% if on their store, it's about being forced onto the store if you want to reach this audience.
Your point of being able to jailbreak your phone is asinine because of it.

Exactly. If you want to sell something in there, pay the price the platform holder asks. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.
They built that platform, they make the rules.
A different thing would be if they had >50% of the userbase. That would make them a monopoly and some intervention would be needed.

Additionally, about in-app purchases:
Kindly explain to me how you, as a Software Engineer, would be fine with the idea that a trillion dollar company is going to take 30% of your revenue (in-app purchases here) with zero cost on their part, under the premise:
1) The user already owns the app (downloaded via App Store, Apple got some profits)
2) You created the content the user wants to purchase in-app
3) Your payment system does not touch Apple's ecosystem

What's the problem of them being a rich company? Are you jealous?
30% is the price I have to pay to reach that precious audience that likes to spend a lot of money so if I sell something at $10, Apple earns $3 and I $7. Multiply that to a million.
Epic here is being to greedy, they earn what, 700 million in iOS? And they want those 300 millions from Apple, which invested a lot of resources in keeping those customers docile and happy to spend?
Again, pay the price.
1) "Apple got some profits". That's not necessarily true. Fortnite is free to download.
2) So? Apple created the content on which your application works.
3) Oh, it does. You are touching their customers. The 30% it's not for the store, it's for the ability to reach those whales.

Under the conditions above, there is zero cost for Apple. There is nothing Apple has to host, nothing for them to advertise on the store, no transaction fees on their part, nothing.
Now you, as a developer, tell me how being forced to sign away those 30% (of in-app purchases, mind you), makes sense to you. If you are still going to argue 'you signed up for it', while completely disregarding the points above, I'll know to just dismiss future posts of yours.

I answered above.
Nothing is free you know. The business model of Fortnite is to offer the base game and then you customize it (with in-app purchases). So, the price of the product is inside of what you are "adding" to it.

Tell me, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft also make you pay them a 30% of your revenue, including microtransactions (aka in-app purchases). What's the difference with Apple?
Are you going to tell me that Apple has more customers? Well, Android has even more.

Should Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft let you circumvent their ecosystem too?
They made the userbase for you, it's nice if you pay them for their work.

I tried to answer every bolded part and the rest of it.
If you still don't understand my stance or you still don't agree, feel free to reply back.

Can you give me a quick rundown?
At the hairdresser right now, getting rid of the mane and can't watch.
- A "monopoly" can be as small as you define it - e.g. Evilore is a monopoly owner of NeoGAF forums, just like Apple has a monopoly of iOS / Apple products, services & distribution. Epic is paying for access to Apple's customers.
- Apple's market share of smartphones is not a monopoly.
- People willingly buy in to iOS / Apple ecosystem and are free to leave, understanding how the ecosystem works.
- Epic willingly broke the terms and conditions of their contract with Apple and violated the store terms, Apple justified in removing them.
- The case will likely be thrown out because there is value and right in a walled-garden and people are free to choose whether they have a curated experience.
- If successful, would set a precedent that could cause Sony, MS and Nintendo to open up their ecosystem / hardware to other online stores.

Are there viable alternative OSs available for Apple devices?

No, and why should there be? Want an Apple phone? It comes with iOS and a walled garden. Don't want that? Go Samsung / Huawei / HTC / Sony / etc. etc. etc.

Top Bottom