• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple seems to have forgotten it built a notch in the MacBook Pro

ManaByte

Gold Member

Snazzy Labs owner Quinn Nelson has posted two videos on Twitter demonstrating some of the early notch issues. The main video demonstrates what appears to be a bug in macOS. Status bar items like Apple’s battery indicator can get hidden underneath the notch when status bar items are extended.

Airplane Oops GIF

Dr Bass

We need a gif that's the opposite of the "that's damn good!" guy ...

Like so ...

"That's bad ... that's REAL bad."

Last edited:

decisions

Clickbait headline and melodramatic Twitter video.

The first video where things are under the notch is obviously a bug that will be fixed in the next update. Developers are always having to adapt to new screen sizes and devices.

The second video is literally pretending that something that is very old is new. If you use any software on macOS that has too many Menu Bar items, it will push the status icons away while that application is in focus. You might dislike that behavior but it has nothing to do with the notch.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Having a notch on a laptop seems so odd. I have a 2017 Macbook Pro and I've never even noticed the bezels around the screen until now. Why are tech firms so anti bezel? At least they can hide shit there.

Drew1440

Wait how do full screen games or apps function around the notch, like does the OS crop the screen?

Last edited:

HoodWinked

as someone that's not in the apple ecosystem, it's pretty goofy but that guy is just overblowing it being an issue. too much of this play acting for social media clout.

the notch looks dumb but it does serve a purpose, built in laptop cameras are junk and with the trend towards more and more remote work/learning laptop cameras shouldn't be neglected, it's kind of a weirdly prudent move that other makers would probably just gloss over.

Apple could have just gone for the larger top bezel but hey why not do the notch its free space.

Real Estate Meme GIF by hero0fwar

for reference:

e3P7NzZ_d.webp
macbookpro14.jpg

Last edited:

PSYGN

The funny thing is that the dumbasses at Apple put themselves in that predicament and now everything they do has to be designed around that notch, but hey it gives them an excuse to cut support for notched models sooner in the future.

Last edited:

plushyp

Clickbait headline and melodramatic Twitter video.

The first video where things are under the notch is obviously a bug that will be fixed in the next update. Developers are always having to adapt to new screen sizes and devices.

The second video is literally pretending that something that is very old is new. If you use any software on macOS that has too many Menu Bar items, it will push the status icons away while that application is in focus. You might dislike that behavior but it has nothing to do with the notch.
It's clickbait of course but no need to defend Apple's questionable design choices or lack of foresight.

i don't mind a notch but if apple doing something like this they should adapt the software. a lot of people hate the notch on a hardware level but fucking up the software is only gonna piss people of more.

also, these things start at £1,900 lmfao. the 16" starts at £2,400. paying that kind of money for that experience is shocking and unacceptable.

Azurro

Banned
I guess I am not in sync with a lot of the tech community, because I don't mind it at all, it is part of the toolbar, so it doesn't take away any screen real estate, gives a decent webcam as well and I doubt there will ever be any media that requires that bit of real estate. So...why does the bitching exists? I haven't heard of people not pre-ordering this thing, so this feels like that time people were boycotting cod due to lack of dedicated servers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom