• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple orders new entry in Band of Brothers TV series, stealing a top franchise from HBO (Masters of the Air)

Status
Not open for further replies.

band_brothers.0.jpeg

Apple has found the first TV series it’s going to produce in-house for its upcoming TV Plus streaming service: a third entry in Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, and Gary Goetzman’s Band of Brothers franchise.

The miniseries is expected to run north of eight hours, and will reportedly cost more than $200 million to make, according to Deadline. The new series is based on Donald L. Miller’s book, Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought The Air War Against Nazi Germany, and will focus on members of the Air Force during the Second World War. The first two installments in the Band of Brothers franchise, Band of Brothers and The Pacific, focused on the United States’ Army and Marine divisions.

Both Band of Brothers and The Pacific found a home at HBO — and helped earn the network a number of Emmy awards between 2002 and 2010, including 43 total Emmy nominations and 14 wins. The shows became a staple of HBO, with Band of Brothers helping usher in one of the network’s most prestigious eras. Masters of the Air was supposed to go to HBO as well, according to Deadline, but the network let the show go. Apple is “better situated to make the requisite financial commitment,” Deadline reports.

‘MASTERS OF THE AIR’ MARKS THE FIRST SERIES THAT WILL BE PRODUCED ENTIRELY IN-HOUSE.

Although Apple already has a slate of original series, including The Morning Show, See, and For All Mankind, Masters of the Air marks the first series that will be produced entirely in-house, whereas The Morning Show is being produced through Echo Films (co-owned by Morning Show star Jennifer Aniston). See, the Jason Momoa-starring fantasy series, is being produced through two other companies: Chernin Entertainment and Endeavor Content. Apple is still buying series from other developers, and then launching them as Apple TV Plus exclusive content.

This is an industry standard. Even Netflix Originals are often produced outside of the company, despite Netflix working on more shows in-house. Ryan Murphy’s The Politician, for example, is made through Fox 21 Television Studios, but is streamed exclusively on Netflix. It’s still a “Netflix Original,” but it’s not made in-house. Stranger Things, however, is made entirely in-house.

Buying content from other studios and running those shows as exclusive content on a streaming service like Netflix or Apple TV Plus is still an industry norm, but that could change. Fox 21 Television Studios is now a division of Disney and, it could be argued, Disney might want to use Fox 21 Television Studios productions to bulk up its general streaming service, Hulu. Whether that will happen is yet to be seen.

It’s unclear when Apple’s studio will be operational, and when development on Masters of the Air will begin, but the announcement is further proof that Apple is committed to being a major player in the streaming wars.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I can't stand the fragmentation of the streaming marketplace. I have no room for more services. Why would I want one from apple? What do they bring that I can't get from the ones I'm already at? More shows? No thanks, already got more on my to watch list than I have time for.

JimiNutz

Banned
Band of Brothers is one of my favourite TV shows of all time but I've never purchased an Apple product and didn't really have any future intention of doing so.

If this show ends up being good then hopefully we eventually get the option of buying the content without having to subscribe to an Apple service.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Band of Brothers = 10/10

The Pacific = 6/10. They milked that franchise with the branding from the first one which was way better. I didn't even bother watching all the episodes.

If the trend continues with a third installment, forget it.

The Pacifier was considerably worse than Band of Brothers though. Felt rushed out the door.
Band of Brothers = 10/10

The Pacific = 6/10. They milked that franchise with the branding from the first one which was way better. I didn't even bother watching all the episodes.

If the trend continues with a third installment, forget it.
I respect your opinions, but The Pacific is highly overhated. It's a gritty miniseries perfectly fit for people like me and Tesseract Tesseract

I should give it a second shot, I haven't tried it again since it was originally being aired. Band of Brothers should be like an annual viewing though, I need to steal the blurarys back that I got for my dad for father's day....
Band of Brothers is a masterpiece.

The Pacific is a flawed but misunderstood masterpiece that is the polar opposite of BoB.

jts

...hate me...
Band of Brothers is one of my favourite TV shows of all time but I've never purchased an Apple product and didn't really have any future intention of doing so.

If this show ends up being good then hopefully we eventually get the option of buying the content without having to subscribe to an Apple service.
Apple TV+ will be a third party service like Apple Music. Not exclusive for Apple devices.

Pallas

Gold Member
I loved both series, band of brothers a bit more but Pacifier was pretty good in its own right.
Good pick up by Apple, I’m not a fan of more fragmentation but if Apple is serious about this, they made a decent first move.

jts

...hate me...
Fair enough. I assume I can subscribe for just a single month and then cancel? In that case I'll wait and see how this turns out and binge through it.
Right, there will be a free trial month. Although I should also add that the number of non-Apple devices supported will be limited at first, I now found out. Only Roku and Amazon devices, as well as built into TV sets. I thought Apple would go big with Android and web, but oh well.

sol_bad

Will Apple TV be available on none Apple devices? This is the only show of theirs that interests me, I could sign up for a month to watch this baby.

Yoboman

Sorry but they are doing WWII mini series on Aviation combat in the European theatre and their focus is the Americans?

Come the fuck on

jts

...hate me...
Will Apple TV be available on none Apple devices? This is the only show of theirs that interests me, I could sign up for a month to watch this baby.
Samsung 2019 TVs (not sure if there will be an update to older ones) as well as Roku and Amazon Fire devices sometime in the future. I think they are still working it all out, but the goal it is for it to be a third party service available to anyone.

sol_bad

Samsung 2019 TVs (not sure if there will be an update to older ones) as well as Roku and Amazon Fire devices sometime in the future. I think they are still working it all out, but the goal it is for it to be a third party service available to anyone.

Thank goodness for that, would be really silly to keep it on Apple devices only

xrnzaaas

I respect your opinions, but The Pacific is highly overhated. It's a gritty miniseries perfectly fit for people like me and Tesseract Tesseract
*overrated ;)

I'll watch the new show for sure, but probably using alternative means. ;) I don't plan on buying any Apple devices or a smart tv compatible with their streaming service.

Last edited:

Starfield

Didn't it say more than 500million budget earlier?

You see, now we get the the shafted apple version. Budget mota

Great Hair

Banned
Can not wait. Band of Brothers is a masterpiece, The Pacific is not. I skimmed thru the episodes, they´re that boring compared to Band of Brothers. Without going to much into detail, it´s watchable. No more.

The series starts promising, but within the first 3 episodes, they war, come back, fall in love and break up. The weak guy from epi1. finally joins the party, but is so dull, one dimensional ... like does he know where he is? A sad dog face since the beginning ... thru the episodes he´s in.

Boring actors, Smasher just does not fit at all. Not sure who told him to act, he can´t play the nice guy, he cant play a cop, he has the same face in every role like Vince V. The others were not better to be honest. Wanna bet, Sly gonna make him the new Balboa?

And for some reason i have to believe that bad Freddie Mercury Impersonator is Klaus
Kinski of the show? The wicked, deranged ... the evil? While sad mac dog face is the "angel" ... who does not vile corpses.

The first one had terrific pacing, build up, delivery, progression, actors, impact, it was visually of higher quality and in pretty much every aspect better than The Pacific. This should have been easily a 15 episode long Season or more. Give the first 3 to 5 episode more room to breath like with epi 5 to 8 and not rush 9 to 10.

Overall its like saving private ryan stretched out 10x 50min episodes instead of 2h+. It overstays its welcome. Having a cold? Nothing else to watch?

Too many bad cooks.
Thank god Matt Damon was not in it.

6.5 out of 10

Last edited:
I know The Pacific was not well received and deservedly so. From a storytelling standpoint, it was poorly done because the series is split between 3 main characters who don't even interact with each other. However, one thing it did better than BoB is its depiction of the brutality of war. The hardship the marines endured both from the environment and Japanese, as well as the gruesome tactics the Japanese employed were very horrific.

TUROK

I know The Pacific was not well received and deservedly so. From a storytelling standpoint, it was poorly done because the series is split between 3 main characters who don't even interact with each other. However, one thing it did better than BoB is its depiction of the brutality of war. The hardship the marines endured both from the environment and Japanese, as well as the gruesome tactics the Japanese employed were very horrific.
That's why I loved The Pacific, even more-so than Band of Brothers. It wasn't a show about heroism as much as it was about the physical and emotional toll these people endured. It was a very bleak and unsanitized depiction of war that really resonated with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom