• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple is limiting my volume.

Out for some of the first serious exercise of this year and enjoying the sun, dry weather and new bike. Listening to some music on my iPhone and the volume drops and I get a message saying it has been reduced because I've spent too long listening at a loud volume. OK, turn it back up. Couple of tracks later gets shifted down. Turn back up, turned down again. Check to see if I can disable the setting. No.

Not Allowed.

Apple you are not my fucking mum. I'm 45 and what I do with my ears is my business you communist fuckers.

T8SC

43iv8l.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I just got an iPhone and quit like this. Developed tinnitus over the years so very protective of my hearing and try not make it any worse than it is. I like I can keep track of my volume levels. Also have my watch set to monitor environment noise levels.

I just got an iPhone and quit like this. Developed tinnitus over the years so very protective of my hearing and try not make it any worse than it is. I like I can keep track of my volume levels. Also have my watch set to monitor environment noise levels.
Which is nice for you, I'd like the option.

down 2 orth

They deleted my massive music collection except for the U2 album that they forced on me. It was an unusual bug that only targeted music that wasn't downloaded from their store.

MilkLizard

Anything bluetooth, I'm using crusher wireless.

Have you checked your Bluetooth settings? I had the same problem in my car and if you click the small blue "i" next to your headphones name in bluetooth settings you should be able to change device type. If you change it to anything other than headphones you should be good.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Out for some of the first serious exercise of this year and enjoying the sun, dry weather and new bike. Listening to some music on my iPhone and the volume drops and I get a message saying it has been reduced because I've spent too long listening at a loud volume. OK, turn it back up. Couple of tracks later gets shifted down. Turn back up, turned down again. Check to see if I can disable the setting. No.

Not Allowed.

Apple you are not my fucking mum. I'm 45 and what I do with my ears is my business you communist fuckers.
Settings > Sound & Haptics > Headphone Safety

“These notifications cannot be turned off”

What about people who are hard of hearing and need the volume boost?

Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Headphone Accommodation

That might help, but I haven’t tried it.

NinjaBoiX

Have you checked your Bluetooth settings? I had the same problem in my car and if you click the small blue "i" next to your headphones name in bluetooth settings you should be able to change device type. If you change it to anything other than headphones you should be good.
Oh my god, this is brilliant! Thank you!

Apple has really gone to shit. When a visionary dies and a businessman takes over, it's not so much about the product but about the cash rolling in.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I know right - can't wait for my AirPods firmware update to remove this now we're no longer part of the EU.

I mean, they WILL remove it won't they...?

:(
I've been lucky enough to not need my volume to go high enough where this sort of issue comes into play, but I also don't commute on any trains or live in an especially loud area.

Personally I welcome the volume limiting, I'd rather not sacrifice my hearing for the sake of whatever I happen to be listening to at the time.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Personally I welcome the volume limiting, I'd rather not sacrifice my hearing for the sake of whatever I happen to be listening to at the time.
Do you have an automatic speed limiter on your car in case you may go too fast by accident?

I really don't understand how people can say this. If you're aware that excessive volume may damage your hearing, you will limit the volume yourself. No need to have this forced on you at a hardware level. The case may be made for kids and teenagers, but again, why do this and not, say, stop producing cigarettes and Ferraris, hmm?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Do you have an automatic speed limiter on your car in case you may go too fast by accident?

I really don't understand how people can say this. If you're aware that excessive volume may damage your hearing, you will limit the volume yourself. No need to have this forced on you at a hardware level. The case may be made for kids and teenagers, but again, why do this and not, say, stop producing cigarettes and Ferraris, hmm?
Don't get me wrong, if it were up to me I'd make it optional, 100% no questions. Forced features squeezed in are bang out of order and this needs to be patched. But as an individual, I like the idea that if I for whatever reason I turn my volume up to an unsafe output that my phone will let me know I'm pushing it a bit too far.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Settings > Sound & Haptics > Headphone Safety

“These notifications cannot be turned off”

What about people who are hard of hearing and need the volume boost?

Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Headphone Accommodation

That might help, but I haven’t tried it.
You're hard of hearing because you've boosted the volume for 50 years 😜😜😜

Top Bottom