• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Event 09.07.2022 | Far Out

MrMephistoX

There’s quite a few people who buy gps watches, wrist dive computers, etc. These people need massive battery life, something the iwatch never delivered.

Let me put it this way: the iwatch has done very well with gym rats, but barely penetrated the outsdoormen. The ultra is about outsdoormen who usually buy garmin, suunto, etc.
That makes total sense as a non outdoorsman (shooting ranges aside) I am totally not in that target demo but it’s cool to know it’s exists. I guarantee a ton of idiots are going to buy it just to flex though even if they never set foot on a mountain trail.

TylerD

Wait a second, a new iPhone is coming out?!? God damnit I just bought an iPhone 13 Pro Max last week!

tee hee.

I’m riding my IPhone XR until the wheels fall off, then I’ll probably get another IPhone XR 🤷‍♂️

I got mine in 2019 after the 11s were announced. I still love it but the camera is getting to be a bit of a let down, especially the low light performance. Battery is at 82% health. Next year may be the year for either an iPhone 14 or possibly 15 for me.

Last edited:
The reality check of EU prices :messenger_sad_relieved:
Will preorder the ultra anyways, I will leverage a lot of the new features and also finally leave my phone at home while running/biking/swimming and have access to my Apple Music library (first reason im not using my Garmin anymore).
Upgrading AirPods Pro also that volume touch control is something that I missed a lot during runs.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yo. See this phone? Same as last year. That’s an extra £150 please.

fitness yes GIF by Bodybuilding.com

thefool

So this kind of turned into a rant but I used to own a Galaxy and this video annoyed me.

That's not why iPhones are popular. You know what Samsung doesn't do?

Have a standard messenger where I can "heart" and "haha" messages
Have a default Photos app that randomly shows me "Memories" of past events with tailored music. It recently showed me an album of our Costa Rica trip with beach music. It made me happy to watch it.
FaceTime integrated with calling and Messenger so it's easy to have a video call with my sister
ApplePay integrated into everything, making it snappy to purchase

"but Android does all of this if you download X apps"

I don't want too go through that much effort. I don't want to have a dozen apps to choose from. I don't want Samsung Pay and Google Pay installed on my phone and now I don't know which to choose. I don't want to fiddle with a Google app store and a Samsung app store. I used to own a Galaxy and my phone looked like a mess after a few months. I want to turn on my phone and everything just works. Apple does a wonderful job of having default apps (with no redundancy) that do exactly what I want them to do.

A good example is a to-do list app. When I owned a Galaxy, I must have downloaded 7 different to-do list apps. All I wanted was an app where I create a list and I add items to said list. That's it. Though on the Galaxy, these apps were bloated with other bs features like creating accounts for another ecosystem and their other products being pushed on you. It was awfully annoying. On the iPhone? A list app is pre-installed and already linked to your Apple ID and you know the only thing it does? Create list and add items to said list. That's all I wanted. That's a prime example of what the iPhone experience is like.

I do understand that Samsung has their place in the market but Apple gets me. Apple knows that "hearting" my husband's text or FaceTiming my sister has more weight than any camera, processor, desktop, etc. Apple's focus is on things I care about while Samsung's focus is on things that people tell me I should care about.

I think this is an interesting post because I have an apple phone and don't do anything like this lol.
Like almost everyone on the planet I use whatsapp to message, video and phone call and it works pretty well. It has a much bigger user-base than apple products, making it inherently more accessible to use.

I'm surprised samsung doesn't have a basic native to-do list app. If true, that's pretty idiotic.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Damn that's quite a wait for my order (iPhone 14 Pro Max).

Arrives 26 Sep - 3 Oct by Express Delivery

Ordered at 13:06 but was delayed due to payment issues.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
I think this is an interesting post because I have an apple phone and don't do anything like this lol.
Like almost everyone on the planet I use whatsapp to message, video and phone call and it works pretty well. It has a much bigger user-base than apple products, making it inherently more accessible to use.

I'm surprised samsung doesn't have a basic native to-do list app. If true, that's pretty idiotic.

Granted I've been off Galaxy's for a few years now but Samsung's ecosystem was awful. There's battle between Samsung and Google for your attention on a Galaxy. Samsung's Bixby, store, family of apps all felt like budget versions. And even if I had everything Samsung uninstalled, I would still get notifications pushing their apps. Even Google's UI for their apps wasn't that intuitive despite looking slick.

Samsung's hardware is great but they need to either make their own OS or adopt Google, and Google needs to put more care into efficiency when using their apps because Apple has them beat by miles.

And for WhatsApp, I'm not sure why a bigger user-base matters when it comes to accessibility? If no one you know uses it, it's userbase size makes no matter. I'm not against WhatsApp but I enjoy Apple's messenger more because of the integration with other apps on my iPhone. In my experience, Americans use Apple's messenger (if they have an iPhone) and non-Americans use WhatsApp. 99% of my circle are Americans so WhatsApp hardly gets used.

YukiOnna

Yo. See this phone? Same as last year. That’s an extra £150 please.

fitness yes GIF by Bodybuilding.com
15 is apparently going to have more differences between models (especially the Max itself) to justify their price difference (not that I agree with it). Going to be a bigger departure from what you see now.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I would even consider Ultra ridiculous price not withstanding, but the size kills it for me. You obviously will not wear it to bed to track sleep which makes it pointless for me.

I had to go for Forerunner 255S since it was 42mm instead of 46mm for the regular one.

K' Dash

I would even consider Ultra ridiculous price not withstanding, but the size kills it for me. You obviously will not wear it to bed to track sleep which makes it pointless for me.

I had to go for Forerunner 255S since it was 42mm instead of 46mm for the regular one.

I’m a bit worried about the size, I’m going to NYC in a month, hopefully I’ll be able to try it on first and then decide if I buy it or just keep my S7 :/

I was going to buy a 14 Pro too but where I live there are no carriers that support eSIM, I guess I’ll just keep my 13 Pro for now.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Small wrists?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Man.. the dynamic island thing really has me itching to trade In my 13pro. wonder if verizon has an early trade in program…

Wait a second, a new iPhone is coming out?!? God damnit I just bought an iPhone 13 Pro Max last week!

tee hee.

I got mine in 2019 after the 11s were announced. I still love it but the camera is getting to be a bit of a let down, especially the low light performance. Battery is at 82% health. Next year may be the year for either an iPhone 14 or possibly 15 for me.
I’m not a big camera/picture taking type guy, so I’m pretty solid on the whole set up. I might move up at some point, but can’t see having to sell a kidney to pay for it 😂

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
i got the 13 pro max because best buy had a promo and was giving me $600 for my 11, so i swapped it for the 13 for another $500 or so. Going to run the 13 until it dies. waiting for the 15.1.1 jb tho. should have never upgraded to15.

RPS37

Managed to secure the black pro 256gb on the website this morning.
the app shit the bed. Luckily I used my knowledge from getting a ps5 last year to figure out how to make sure I got one.

lachesis

Well, yesterday I walked into Apple store in upper west side NYC and finally traded in my 1st iPhone - iPhone 7 Plus 256gb & got iPhone 13 Mini (128gb)
(I would have gotten iPhone 14 Mini... but looks like it's the end of the line for Mini...)

This thing is tiny! Actually slightly taller and narrower than my 1st smartphone, Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch... and about similar width, but a bit taller (but much bigger screen) than Xperia Z3 Compact.
The size and form factor reminds me of old iPhone 4, actually.

My old eyes are going to have field day reading things - but this has almost as large screen as iPhone 7 Plus. Pretty impressive.
It's narrower screen, so it is indeed about 10-15% smaller, but even with the larger screen - it's not like I won't have any issues reading it w/o reading glass... so that's why I settled with mini.
Much easier to carry, and am not a heavy user at all.

I hear rumors of next SE phones would follow the Mini form factor. I hope they do, so that people would have options down the road.
Then again, smartphone may be thing of the past down in 10 years.... who knows? :)

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

I don't think so. I'm also doing the switch but missing USB-C :(
That's one of my biggest sticking points. Samsung software has gone down the toilet and want an Apple phone mainly for the battery and app support it gets. Maybe I'll still hold on hope the Pixel this year isn't a dumpster fire.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

Apple to use TSMC’s next 3-nm chip tech in iPhones and Macs next year​

Move will mark industry’s first adoption of updated production technology​

Apple aims to be the first company to use an updated version of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co’s latest chipmaking technology next year, with plans to adopt it for some of its iPhones and Mac computers, sources briefed on the matter told Nikkei Asia.

The A17 mobile processor currently under development will be mass-produced using TSMC’s N3E chipmaking tech, expected to be available in the second half of next year, according to three people familiar with the matter. The A17 will be used in the premium entry in the iPhone line-up scheduled for release in 2023, they said.

N3E is an upgraded version of TSMC’s current 3-nanometer production tech, which is only starting to go into use this year. The next generation of Apple’s M3 chip for its Mac offerings is also set to use the upgraded 3-nm tech, two sources added.

Nanometre size refers to the distance between transistors on a chip. The smaller the number, the more transistors can be squeezed on to a chip, making them more powerful but also more challenging and costly to produce.

N3E will offer better performance and energy efficiency than the first version of the tech, TSMC said in a recent technology symposium in Hsinchu, Taiwan. Industry sources said the upgraded production tech is also designed to be more cost-effective than its predecessor.

As TSMC’s largest customer and the biggest driver for new semiconductor technologies, Apple is still its most loyal partner when it comes to adopting the latest chip technology. The US tech giant will be the first to use TSMC’s first generation of 3-nm technology, using it for some of its upcoming iPads, Nikkei Asia reported earlier.

Previously, Intel told TSMC that it would like to secure 3-nm production by this year or early next year to be among the first wave of adopters like Apple, but it has since delayed its orders to at least 2024, three people told Nikkei Asia.

However, 2023 could mark the second year in a row that Apple uses TSMC’s most advanced chipmaking technology for only a part of its iPhone line-up. In 2022, only the premium iPhone 14 Pro range has adopted the latest A16 core processor, which is produced by TSMC’s 4-nm process technologies, the most advanced currently available. The standard iPhone 14 range uses the older A15, which was used in the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro models released in the second half of 2021.

Meanwhile, the race is on among chipmakers to roll out ever more advanced production tech. TSMC and Samsung each hopes to be the first to put 3-nm tech into mass production this year. This technology is suitable for all types of central and graphics processors for smartphones, computers and servers, as well as those used in artificial intelligence computing.

Apple, meanwhile, is likely to use the different levels of production tech to introduce greater differences between its premium and non-premium models, according to Dylan Patel, chief analyst with SemiAnalysis. Previously the biggest differences have been in screens and cameras, but this could be expanded to include processors and memory chips, he said.

According to the analyst’s estimate, there is a cost increase of at least 40 per cent for the same area of silicon when moving to 3-nm chips from the 5-nm family, which includes 4-nm chips.

TSMC, Intel and Apple declined to comment.

gundalf

It's sunny today, I think I will now visit the apple store in Munich and get that sweet Series 8 in Steel, gotta treat myself once in a while :messenger_sunglasses:
No Airpods Pro 2 for me though, my Beats Fit Pro are still superior: better sound, better fit and USB-C baby!

But that dynamic island, damn maybe I should lube my wallet with Vaseline...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Ohhh man the Apple Watch ultra is sweet. Feels weighty compared to my 7 series. Just what I wanted. Got some dings in my 7 let’s see how well this fella holds up.

i don't like the look of the Ultra so might just get the series 8. my hardest decision is what band to get. i had the sport band but it fucked up my skin but it's the only kind of strap i like. if i can't decide on one of the others i won't buy a new watch at all. the sport band was causing my skin to go all red and itchy.

edit: this is probably the only design i'd buy but i'm paying £400 more just for the strap :messenger_tears_of_joy: sports band is £449 and this steel is £849.

giFAz9X.jpg

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Ohhh man the Apple Watch ultra is sweet. Feels weighty compared to my 7 series. Just what I wanted. Got some dings in my 7 let’s see how well this fella holds up.
So you are saying you live the life of a man that looks death in the face and laughs.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Ooh la la. I love the Ultra's look much more in person. Kind of regretting the white band but I have a nice leather one I will use for everyday / work. The alpine loop will go on when I'm working out.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ooh la la. I love the Ultra's look much more in person. Kind of regretting the white band but I have a nice leather one I will use for everyday / work. The alpine loop will go on when I'm working out.
Yeah it’s a pretty chick who’s not photogenic at all. I’d dare say it looks stupid in photos, but in person it’s much better.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I got the blue ocean band, it’s like a super version of the sport band I really like it.

Got the new AirPods in. Big improvement on the noise cancellation. Sound quality is improved too. Very nice, worthy successor.

My brother says the same, wish I could stand the pros but don’t like stuff sticking in my ears. Regular AirPods for me…

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The white strap has really grown on me. I will keep it as my daily driver until the trails loops come back into stock. I am tempted to pick up that orange alpine band as well.

I am absolutely in love with the Ultra. It looks so good and the screen size is quite nice. The biggest improvement for me, I actually prefer the flat face over the rounded corners on my series 5. The series 5 was my favorite Apple device and the Ultra is a nice upgrade from there. I can't wait to test out some of the workout features today. The breadcrumb thing will be very useful when I go snow shoeing in the winter months.

My only disappointment so far is that my carrier, Google Fi does not support cellular on the watch. I'm tempted to switch carriers anyway because the support for iDevices is abysmal. Shame I need the cheap international coverage for work travel.

Top Bottom