• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Event 09.07.2022 | Far Out

belmarduk

Well it was thoughtful of Apple not to raise the price on iPhones like they did to the MacBook Air that I just bought!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
jjmn7ty1qim91.jpg

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Is any one a shallow iPhone user like me? I only upgrade when it’s obviously a different form factor: in a case you really can’t tell the difference between a 14 and a 12 camera aside.

I tend to upgrade my phone every 4-5 years. Usually within that time frame there is enough of a technological leap/upgrade to warrant the price. I will be picking up the iPhone 15 next year for that reason.

Lady Jane

Banned
Is any one a shallow iPhone user like me? I only upgrade when it’s obviously a different form factor: in a case you really can’t tell the difference between a 14 and a 12 camera aside.

You can include me in that. I would argue that you could get away with an X being the latest and greatest to most people. X-14 have a similar look but this 15 is scratching the shallow side of my brain to purchase.

RPS37

I just upgraded my X to a 13 Pro because I was forced to(battery expanded) back in July.
After I saw the Dynamic Island, Always On Display, and upgraded cameras, I decided I gotta do what I gotta do.

MrMephistoX

You can include me in that. I would argue that you could get away with an X being the latest and greatest to most people. X-14 have a similar look but this 15 is scratching the shallow side of my brain to purchase.
Honestly I prefer the X’s rounded edges I’ve never really liked it when Apple products have straight edges. I’m 3 years overdue for an upgrade so I might bite too but would kick myself if they went back to rounded for the 15.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Models these days, especially for iPhone as of at least 12, is going to last a good few years before anything substantial worth upgrading for. As a 13 user I have no reason to go for it.

MrMephistoX

Models these days, especially for iPhone as of at least 12, is going to last a good few years before anything substantial worth upgrading for. As a 13 user I have no reason to go for it.
I feel like that’s been the case since Jobs died but it felt like every iPhone from 1-5 were basically entirely new designs every other year now it’s basically a cycle of the same outward design for at least 4 cycles with more focus on significant tech upgrades.

tommib

I tend to upgrade my phone every 4-5 years. Usually within that time frame there is enough of a technological leap/upgrade to warrant the price. I will be picking up the iPhone 15 next year for that reason.
Same here. I’m on a 11 Pro Max and pay no attention to what’s being released until this dies. Hopefully by 2025 or something. Phones last forever now. I switch phones as often as I switch my laptop.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned

Samsung S22 still edges the new iphone and its cheaper

So this kind of turned into a rant but I used to own a Galaxy and this video annoyed me.

That's not why iPhones are popular. You know what Samsung doesn't do?

Have a standard messenger where I can "heart" and "haha" messages
Have a default Photos app that randomly shows me "Memories" of past events with tailored music. It recently showed me an album of our Costa Rica trip with beach music. It made me happy to watch it.
FaceTime integrated with calling and Messenger so it's easy to have a video call with my sister
ApplePay integrated into everything, making it snappy to purchase

"but Android does all of this if you download X apps"

I don't want too go through that much effort. I don't want to have a dozen apps to choose from. I don't want Samsung Pay and Google Pay installed on my phone and now I don't know which to choose. I don't want to fiddle with a Google app store and a Samsung app store. I used to own a Galaxy and my phone looked like a mess after a few months. I want to turn on my phone and everything just works. Apple does a wonderful job of having default apps (with no redundancy) that do exactly what I want them to do.

A good example is a to-do list app. When I owned a Galaxy, I must have downloaded 7 different to-do list apps. All I wanted was an app where I create a list and I add items to said list. That's it. Though on the Galaxy, these apps were bloated with other bs features like creating accounts for another ecosystem and their other products being pushed on you. It was awfully annoying. On the iPhone? A list app is pre-installed and already linked to your Apple ID and you know the only thing it does? Create list and add items to said list. That's all I wanted. That's a prime example of what the iPhone experience is like.

I do understand that Samsung has their place in the market but Apple gets me. Apple knows that "hearting" my husband's text or FaceTiming my sister has more weight than any camera, processor, desktop, etc. Apple's focus is on things I care about while Samsung's focus is on things that people tell me I should care about.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Only Apple would let you pre-order your pre-order!

Put all your bank details in now ready for tomorrow - but you've got to be quick tomorrow pressing that submit button or you'll miss out.

Chittagong

Gold Member
On thing that worries me about the Apple Watch Ultra is that in many of the shots there was this weird ragged edge shimmer on the chamfered edge connecting the vertical and horizontal surfaces. It's extremely un-Apple, they are absolute masters of reflections and speculars.

It would seem to be a micro chamfer that is extremely reflective, and that ragged shimmer consists of reflections that only hit that super narrow chamfer.

2ySZ0Dm.png

04P8YS6YExiQmDhfKiaQF83-5.jpg

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
On thing that worries me about the Apple Watch Ultra is that in many of the shots there was this weird ragged edge shimmer on the chamfered edge connecting the vertical and horizontal surfaces. It's extremely un-Apple, they are absolute masters of reflections and speculars.

It would seem to be a micro chamfer that is extremely reflective, and that ragged shimmer consists of reflections that only hit that super narrow chamfer.

2ySZ0Dm.png

04P8YS6YExiQmDhfKiaQF83-5.jpg
Maybe the titanium is not smoothy as steel or aluminium.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m actually interested in the new se watch for myself and an 8 for the wife.

The new se screen seems to be bigger than my wife’s 6 and the 8 should be nice upgrade for her.

The ultra watch seems very meh to me and the new iPhones are too. My iPhone 12 remains safe (it’s my first iPhone and it’s awesome).

YukiOnna

Ultra watch seems pointless outside of supposed durability. Most of the features are already repeated in the 8. Otherwise, If I were to get one it's probably the SE since it's just good for notifications.

I feel like that’s been the case since Jobs died but it felt like every iPhone from 1-5 were basically entirely new designs every other year now it’s basically a cycle of the same outward design for at least 4 cycles with more focus on significant tech upgrades.

Yeah. It got a lot more conservative, which isn't bad but as market leaders they don't have to and most of the industry really peaked for smartphones. Most companies are fine making small increments and just working on the camera and specs. The next leap really is just AR, but that's half a decade away still. That's why I'm excited for Apple's N301 Headset since it's finally something new.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Ultra watch seems pointless outside of supposed durability. Most of the features are already repeated in the 8. Otherwise, If I were to get one it's probably the SE since it's just good for notifications.

Yeah. It got a lot more conservative, which isn't bad but as market leaders they don't have to and most of the industry really peaked for smartphones. Most companies are fine making small increments and just working on the camera and specs. The next leap really is just AR, but that's half a decade away still. That's why I'm excited for Apple's N301 Headset since it's finally something new.

Ultra is a play for a certain segment that has resisted the iwatch.

Dural

My iPhone 11 screen took a shit at the beginning of July, I was originally going to try and make due until the new iphone was released but ended up getting an S22 Ultra due to a ridiculous price from GoogleFi plus a good trade value for a phone with a non working screen. Glad I didn't wait, can't believe they left the same APU in there as the 13. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the first time they didn't upgrade the APU on a new release?

MrMephistoX

Ultra is a play for a certain segment that has resisted the iwatch.
I’m kind of curious who it’s for though? Anecdotally everyone I’ve talked to my wife included who hasn’t gotten an Apple Watch has complained about it being too thick and this is doubling down on size and girth. Same screen surface size but as thin as a typical wrist watch would get me to upgrade my Series 5 anyway.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I’m kind of curious who it’s for though? Anecdotally everyone I’ve talked to my wife included who hasn’t gotten an Apple Watch has complained about it being too thick and this is doubling down on size and girth. Same screen surface size but as thin as a typical wrist watch would get me to upgrade my Series 5 anyway.

There’s quite a few people who buy gps watches, wrist dive computers, etc. These people need massive battery life, something the iwatch never delivered.

Let me put it this way: the iwatch has done very well with gym rats, but barely penetrated the outsdoormen. The ultra is about outsdoormen who usually buy garmin, suunto, etc.

Top Bottom