• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently RARE once said N64 supported real-time ray tracing. Yes, you read that right.

McCheese

"unmodified snes"

Videogame journalists really are the worst, They wrote an FPGA based ray-tracer, then wrote a SNES ROM which reads the output from the FPGA and copies it to the SNES display buffer, the SNES isn't doing any work other than just copying pixels to the screen. But it's neat, and not that dissimilar to how the 32X worked back in the day.

Im tempted to connect my PS5 to the Xbox One S's HDMI in port and tell Kotaku that my unmodified xbox is running Spiderman ;)

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Damn I can't wait for the Initiative's Perfect Dark. This video brings me back even though the video doesn't really do the game justice.

Diddy X

Hell even a toaster supports ray-tracing if you are willing to wait a couple months for the next frame to render.

I thought about posting back in November, but to give this topic the real N64 experience, I decided to delay it for almost half a year.

Last edited:
Yeah, but not real-time ray tracing. I mean, unless you consider 0.2 fps real-time. Curiously, ray tracing on the Nintendo 64 has been done already:
More like a frame every few seconds.

Still, interesting that some guy went pour of his way to do this.

Top Bottom