• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Quantic Dream and Sony had a falling out because of a supposed fourth player character in Detroit Become Human ...

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I'd read somewhere that Sony tried to reel Kojima in from doing some outlandish stuff he wanted to do in Death Stranding and I think this is a bad look for them. They should let creative talent do what they want to do and create the games they want to make. There's no way they'd put up so much resistance to Naughty Dog. I trust Kojima and David Cage a hell of a lot more than Herman Hulst, who is now the one calling the shots for Sony, when it comes to creating innovative games.
I'm so skeptical of this. Constraints breed creativity in many aspects and constructive criticism is healthy. Otherwise you end up with a George Lucas prequels scenario. I doubt every statement here.

deathsaber

Whatever you think of David Cage/QD, and the quality of their products, I just find this article goofy. So they had some wacky game idea that ultimately didn't appear in the finished product.

So...OMG Controversy!! Honestly, I just don't care. Welcome to probably every game ever made, where something was brainstormed and ultimately didn't make the final product(I"m sure lots of crazy ideas are brought up behind closed doors- with some possibly seeing tons of work hours by devs, but ultimately scrapped for any number of reasons- it happens. And then infer that's why Sony/QD don't have their relationship anymore (it isn't possible that maybe the relationship is over because the deal was for three games, which saw diminishing returns at retail, and it just...expired.) Such a clickbait article...

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Doubt on both accounts. Game was as boring and predictable as a network drama, definitely could have used some crazy and objectionable content.
I loved it even more than a lot of games that year Detroit was great

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

Last edited:

Withnail

I don’t suppose you can read two more post after do you, you blind fuck. Before Detroit GOW3 and after Detroit TLOU2.

Is it time for your meds or something internet hard man?

We don't know enough about what QD wanted to show but the Abby scene at least was between consenting adults in an existing relationship, don't see why Sony would have a problem with that in an 18 rated game.

GOW3 is a fair point but it's a fairly old game now and maybe Sony wouldn't publish that scene today (apart from in a remaster).

GTA and the Witcher still have fuck all to do with the topic.

killatopak

Gold Member

We don't know enough about what QD wanted to show but the Abby scene at least was between consenting adults in an existing relationship, don't see why Sony would have a problem with that in an 18 rated game.

GOW3 is a fair point but it's a fairly old game now and maybe Sony wouldn't publish that scene today (apart from in a remaster).

Dude it's their platform. Mentioned earlier, they got Capcom to remove the more nsfw scene in DMCV and that only happened on Playstation. The other platforms kept the original scene.

edit: if I came off a bit agressive, sorry. kinda having a bad time earlier.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member

Are you a Playstation PR or something? The remaster released in 2015 dude. It is fucked up that disgusting extreme violence is okay because their influence on the rating boards but boobs are a big no.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Dude it's their platform. Mentioned earlier, they got Capcom to remove the more nsfw scene in DMCV and that only happened on Playstation. The other platforms kept the original scene.

edit: if I came off a bit agressive, sorry. kinda having a bad time earlier.
If you're taking about the lens flare butt, they removed the flare so it's the same on all platforms again (in NA at least).

killatopak

Gold Member
If you're taking about the lens flare butt, they removed the flare so it's the same on all platforms again (in NA at least).
yup. that's it. the fact that they can easily remove and put it back in shows they have some form of control over what gets shown to the public. It should extend to older and newer games as well.

Aenima

Reads like bullshit. All sex androids in Detroit has normal boob sizes, thers male and female sex android models.

One of the main secondary characters is indeed an ex sex android and she could have been a playable character. Sony dont have the habbit to dictate what developers put or dont put in they games, 1st party devs say exacty the oposite, that Sony gives them full creative freedom. Doubt thers any truth in this, as Quantum Dream is not even a 1st party studio. If anything was cutted from the game, im pretty sure was Quantic Dream decision.

North_Extras_1.png

North, despite being a ex sex android model, she can became the leader of the android resistance if anything happens to one of the playable characters that is suposed to take that role.

Dunno why Sony would prevent her from being playable.

Sony stance on censorship usually involves anime characters that can look teen/ underaged.

Last edited:

Kerotan

That makes no sense lol

Sony first party games didn’t have that kind of censorship… big boobs can be showed in M titles.
QD probably wanted to go about it in a very weird and creepy way though. Gta isn't weird and creepy and neither was other games like TLOU. Well weird yes lol

Genx3

Everyone mentioning games that Sony don't publish as examples of games that weren't censored are not understanding that Sony gets to censor any game they publish the way they like.

GTA and other games being published by other companies are not going to be censored as heavily as a Sony published game.

Not sure why any one has a problem with this if it's Sony's own game.

Last edited:

Keihart

I was wondering where the "sexy" scenes from QD were at...you know, the akward sex or shower or whatever scenes that made their way in every game except their last one?
Not that i missed those, but i explained it away as the result of having someone else on charge of the story besides David Cage.

Also, from wikipedia :
In October 2016, the screenplay was completed after more than two years.[72] Writer Adam Williams was hired to help finish and flesh out the story.[3] Cage used charts and diagrams to see where the choices would end up;[73] penning "five or six thousand pages of notes", he likened the story to a Rubik's Cube.[74] Two scenes were cancelled for how violence was portrayed.[75]

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Yep. When the project was greenlit they would have had to make a pitch. And if that pitch contained a protagonist they weren't comfortable with, they'd have kicked it back then and there. Its just business, so I highly doubt there'd be any negative feeling on the part of either side.

kingpotato

yup. that's it. the fact that they can easily remove and put it back in shows they have some form of control over what gets shown to the public. It should extend to older and newer games as well.
You used "they" twice but referred to different groups? First they Capcom, second they Sony? Also Sony doesn't "control what gets shown to the public" except on their platform, which they rightfully have the responsibility to do.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's fucked up because of all the slavery that still exists in the modern world, much of it is from sex traffickers.

killatopak

Gold Member
You used "they" twice but referred to different groups? First they Capcom, second they Sony? Also Sony doesn't "control what gets shown to the public" except on their platform, which they rightfully have the responsibility to do.
I'm only referring to Sony and yes, having control over their platform was my point and it not just being limited to Sony published games.

Yoboman

Press X to bang

Didnt Quantic Dream get sued for using Ellen Pages naked depiction without her permission or something?

I dont think they have a history of getting these things right

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
This doesn't sound even marginally believable.

Quantic Dream and Sony directors and execs butting heads for money and deadline reasons? Sure.
Sony going full puritanic extremist at the mere suggestion for a big-boobed android to be a playable character, but didn't even end up in the game regardless? I don't buy that.

Keihart

Yep. When the project was greenlit they would have had to make a pitch. And if that pitch contained a protagonist they weren't comfortable with, they'd have kicked it back then and there. Its just business, so I highly doubt there'd be any negative feeling on the part of either side.
I agree, but management changed during the almost 6 years from preproduction to release...so maybe, things changed too.
This is probably made up stuff since there are no receipts, but it is possible.

Fbh

If true:

On the one hand this attitude from Sony sucks
On the other hand Sony no longer spending money on crappy David Cage movies is good.

Fbh

After Detroit I would rather have another David Cage game than Uncharted to be honest.

To each their own I guess.

I'd be up for more of these interactive movie games, just not by Quantic Dream.
I enjoyed Until Dawn and several of the Telltale games way more than any Quantic Dream game.

farmerboy

I kinda doubt this is 100% true, what with death and torture being ok, but somehow this wouldn't be.

If it was true, then it's disappointing to say the least. Such a character would be amazing to explore and develop. It could be a great reflection of the himan sexual mind.

EDMIX

Seems a bunch of bullshit.
Main reason Sony dropped them is that after the success of the first game (Heavy Rain) both Beyond and Detroit underperformed both critically and commercially.
At the same time the studio was getting hit with harassment accusations, toxic work environment accusations and lawsuits.
Put all that together and you realize that Sony has distanced themselves from other studios for much less.

Agreed.

With Sony's M rated games, you got entire sex scenes, people's heads and limbs getting blown off lol

Corndog

Banned
That doesn't seem credible. Why would Sony have anything to do with what goes in a game they didn't fund or even partially own from a third party developer. Sure they had their (timed) exclusivity agreement, but it's not like Sony decides what's goes in and what goes out. It's not like QD has to pitch their concepts to Sony for their total approval.i don't buy this "3 game exclusivity deal" sounds like bullshit. Why would any company make a deal like that so in advance before even the game's conception? It makes more sense they would deal with the games individually. Crazy to imagine someone take the risk of signing a contract for 3 games (that's like 10 years of work and expenses), where either part can't back out of it if things aren't working after the 1st or 2nd game, without any major repercussions/penalties at the very least.
It’s not a timed agreement.

Aenima

Wtf is '' normal boob size ''?
Not exagerated big and not flat chested, maybe "average boob size" would be better worded?. They all have the same body type just diferent faces. So im calling bullshit to the idea that they had a big boobed android for playable character that was shut down by Sony, when all sex androids in the game have the same body shape.

Last edited:

Fatbody

Wouldn’t be surprising. Have you seen their latest marketing? It’s all strong female warrior stuff(Returnal, Horizon, female Ratchet.) They’ve even managed to shoehorn Black Girl Magic into a norse God of War. They would make the Ford Mustang in GT7 a homosexual if they could. So if those are the priorities in the branding of Sony’s studios, imagine what they probably shoot down on a routine basis. Big titty robo whore getting a thumbs down from corporate is not a surprise at all. It would be a shocker if something like that actually made it in.

Dr Bass

Good points. Seems like much ado about nothing in terms of the content of what David Cage wanted to do. I'd read somewhere that Sony tried to reel Kojima in from doing some outlandish stuff he wanted to do in Death Stranding and I think this is a bad look for them. They should let creative talent do what they want to do and create the games they want to make. There's no way they'd put up so much resistance to Naughty Dog. I trust Kojima and David Cage a hell of a lot more than Herman Hulst, who is now the one calling the shots for Sony, when it comes to creating innovative games.
Studios have said over and over Sony lets them do what they want.

If the statement about what Cage wanted to do being a problem is true, I imagine it was some pretty wild stuff.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Detroit: Become Human was rated M and so that censorship doesn't exists.
If it was a T or even lower rate then I could understand.
But Sony doesn't censorship M titles.
Sony absolutely does censor M rated games

Granted it was to remove pervy pedo crap that is culturally appropriate in Japan but not in the west, but they do censor games.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think it's silly to assume this was just an argument over cup size and not the substance of that character's plot line. I imagine a sex slave storyline could be a little rough...

I liked Detroit, though, I think it was QD's best game. Seems funny to end their partnership over a relatively successful project.

Top Bottom