• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Quantic Dream and Sony had a falling out because of a supposed fourth player character in Detroit Become Human ...

Chukhopops

I was actually thinking that Detroit was pretty mild compared to Heavy Rain and B:TS in terms of pervy stuff. This is the kind of stuff that can never be verified but I find it plausible.
Lol bullshit. Simply Sony won't publish anymore games by a studio with different accuses of harrassment leaked some time ago. The timing is not a coincidence.
LMAO that’s why they stopped working with Ubisoft right?

Alebrije

0be37a021298abcad2b407485ba441cb2d348db2r1-400-320_00.gif

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I was actually thinking that Detroit was pretty mild compared to Heavy Rain and B:TS in terms of pervy stuff. This is the kind of stuff that can never be verified but I find it plausible.

LMAO that’s why they stopped working with Ubisoft right?
From when Sony publish Ubisoft games or working with them? The hell you are talking about?

Last edited:

NovaSe7en

i don't buy this "3 game exclusivity deal" sounds like bullshit. Why would any company make a deal like that so in advance before even the game's conception? It makes more sense they would deal with the games individually. Crazy to imagine someone take the risk of signing a contract for 3 games (that's like 10 years of work and expenses), where either part can't back out of it if things aren't working after the 1st or 2nd game, without any major repercussions/penalties at the very least.

Sony had been making those kinds of exclusivity deals with Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, etc before buying them out. Hence why there were a lot of trilogies.

This is totally plausible.

Dr Bass

We have a problem with reading comprehension on this site, or people just want to willfully ignore details so they can engage in their regular hate fest.

"The protagonist came with controversial scenarios that sat outside Sony’s comfort zone, and partly contributed towards the company wrapping up its three-game deal with Quantic Dream “ASAP.”

It wasn't the design, it was what they did with the character in the game. We don't know what those things are, so who knows how weird they got. Plenty of games have nudity, including QD games so the character design almost surely wasn't it.

If David Cage started going off the deep end (would not be surprised given how their other games are), I could see Sony thinking "Ok, I think we are good on this partnership."

yurinka

Both were before the big censorship push though.
Sony doesn't censor games. It's Japanese (or a few other countries like Germany, Australiar or China) national age rating system / game approval for retail games. If publishers want to put them on their big Japanese retails they have to censor them. This is why this censorship is also applied for the non-PlayStation platforms when they are also published in Japan for retail, and why they aren't censored outside Japan for PlayStation and the other platforms. In a few cases in the past they also did a censored version for USA to get a better retailer approval.

I honestly would have loved to see David cage's 'nuanced' take on playing as an android prostitute. Guarantee almost every scene would have been more embarrassing than anything else in detroit.
Their games for Sony featured nudity and sex scenes, and Detroit features android sex workers and a prostitution night club. I don't see the difference of making one of them a playable character. I think it's bullshit.

Main reason Sony dropped them is that after the success of the first game (Heavy Rain) both Beyond and Detroit underperformed both critically and commercially.
Not true. As of mid 2018 Beyond had sold almost 3 millon copies and until then Heavy Rain had sold 5.3M copies in PS3+PS4.

Detroit has a 78 MC (8.8 user score) with the SJW reviewers shitting them because the campaign with these false claims (now proven as that several times in the court, government investigations, audits an internal and external investigations) and it's the best selling Quantic Dream game with over 6 million copies sold.

When QD said they were going to self publish their games and do multiplatform stuff they said that it didn't mean they were closing the door to work again for Sony in the future. Sony allowed them to port and self publish their Sony games on PC.

If they would have ended with a bad relationship they wouldn't have said or done these things. QD these years have been busy with self publishing their own stuff, working as publishers and fighting all these false claims and -if real- making the Star Wars game. Sony could ask them to make another game for them after the Star Wars game, or maybe Sony could even publish the Star Wars game, or maybe in addition to the Star Wars game they may be working at the same time in a Sony game, or in their first post-Sony QD new IP.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Sony doesn't censor games. It's Japanese (or a few other countries like Germany, Australiar or China) national age rating system / game approval for retail games. If publishers want to put them on their big Japanese retails they have to censor them. This is why this censorship is also applied for the non-PlayStation platforms when they are also published in Japan for retail, and why they aren't censored outside Japan for PlayStation and the other platforms. In a few cases in the past they also did a censored version for USA to get a better retailer approval.

We didn't get the PS4 DOAX in the US. That had nothing to do with Japan's rating system.

Sony officials tell the Wall Street Journal that the gaming giant updated its policy for approving new PlayStation games worldwide, in response to the cultural shifts brought about by the #MeToo movement and the increased visibility of video game livestreaming.

Per the report, Sony wants to avoid promoting games that disparage and objectify women, or that contain sexual content. The company is particularly concerned about being associated with Japanese titles that feature sexualized images of underage girls.

That's directly from Sony.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

We didn't get the PS4 DOAX in the US. That had nothing to do with Japan's rating system.

Censoring underage girls being the key takeaway of their message.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Who has the picture of the girl with big tits pushing them against the window of the car while the other girl screams? It seems appropriate here.

Reallink

I think Sony's problem is that one of the main characters (who is supposedly a person to root for) was a sex worker. They probably thought it would be demeaning for women.

You seem to be unaware that sex work is now broadly applauded by liberal culture and media (which obviously includes Sony), it's female empowerment. Their issue with this is that it's a digital woman who can't consent to the objectification, and it's being produced/directed by a man. That is not a joke or deceptive framing, it's verbatim their talking point on the matter.

Last edited:

AMC124c41

Neo Member
Maybe they stopped working with Quantic Dream because their games look expensive to make and no one was rushing out to buy a PS4 in order to play Detroit. Also, they were having trouble with getting their open world tech to work which means Sony might have wanted to cut their loses on that project and cancel instead of throwing more millions at it. But hey, I'm sure it was the big booba lady that was the main issue, lol.

Withnail

That doesn't seem credible. Why would Sony have anything to do with what goes in a game they didn't fund or even partially own from a third party developer. Sure they had their (timed) exclusivity agreement, but it's not like Sony decides what's goes in and what goes out. It's not like QD has to pitch their concepts to Sony for their total approval.i don't buy this "3 game exclusivity deal" sounds like bullshit. Why would any company make a deal like that so in advance before even the game's conception? It makes more sense they would deal with the games individually. Crazy to imagine someone take the risk of signing a contract for 3 games (that's like 10 years of work and expenses), where either part can't back out of it if things aren't working after the 1st or 2nd game, without any major repercussions/penalties at the very least.

You're wrong, the QD games were published by Sony as first party productions, Sony obviously has creative control on anything they publish like that.

And of course they can back out mid deal lol, that's exactly what happened.

Last edited:

yurinka

We didn't get the PS4 DOAX in the US.
That had nothing to do with Japan's rating system.

Censoring underage girls being the key takeaway of their message.
Sony didn't censor DOAX3, Koei Tecmo decided to release DOAX3 only in Asia, both for Sony and Switch platforms. Not only for PS, and obviously Sony doesn't decide what games are published on Switch. In this case, most likely Tecmo didn't release it in the west due to the rise of the SJW in western countries like USA, even getting important attacks from the gaming media related to these topics.

And yes, mostly all the other cases where some players claim Sony censored the game it's also censored only for Japan (or a few specific contries like Germany, China or Australia, where they have issues with certain topics like gore or nudity, nazi stuff, etc) in all platforms for games released on retail.

That Sony quote seems to be only a PR move, because after 2019 (and before) Sony approved (and even published and/or developed internally) games with sex and nudity (or gore) worldwide outside the few countries whose governments/age rating accepted by big retailers ban that. Regarding sexy/'objectified' women they even highlighted Project Eve in their most recent event.

I'm not seeing what's so controversial about this. Nobody had a problem with Ana de Armis' character in BR2049. What's the difference, really?
Maybe the difference is that BR2049 isn't a PlayStation exclusive game, so doesn't get impacted by fanboy wars shit. Or because it wasn't a David Cage game, since for some reason some people seems to hate him when is ok with other games doing the same.

Last edited:
You're wrong, the QD games were published by Sony as first party productions, Sony obviously has creative control on anything they publish like that.

And of course they can back out mid deal lol, that's exactly what happened.
You know this "news" is not from an official source. I'd be more skeptical about it than proclaiming that as fact of what "exactly happened".

Rikkori

How much can people delude themselves? It's obvious Sony is all about ugly MAWWs now, and just ugly women in general. Soon, they'll only even be women*. If you don't want to help the spread of ugly then stop buying their shitty games and shitty consoles. Ultimately it's up to the market to regulate (heh) this.

Go East Young Man!

nejO0Kp.jpg

Reallink

I don't mind T & A in my games but it sounds like we got a better game without this character

Doubt on both accounts. Game was as boring and predictable as a network drama, definitely could have used some crazy and objectionable content.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

where is that idiot k’dash from the bayo 3 thread who quoted me for not supporting that game because it’s becoming a woke shit.
maybe the blind mfer will see how the industry is becoming more and more work and purple haired weirdos.

Sony cancels an awesome developer because of a character ? lol what a fucking shitty ass company full of ugly mfers that can’t handle some skin or a profession.

And fuck any company that support not allowing the freedom of development.

I swear to god I bet Sony’s management runs by bunch of ugly women and fat ugly guys that want to do whatever to make a woman happy and get laid. There is no any other way around.

To be honest fuck anyone who support these action whatever by staying silent or buying that specific product.

Last edited:

Rivet

I doubt the big boobs were the problem.
Knowing David Cage, it would have included a scene where you press buttons to undress yourself then a QTE where your characther is f*cked, maybe even some killing while in the act.

Yes, can't wait for their next game...

killatopak

Gold Member
These are not Sony games though.

What's with all the false equivalences in this thread? Are people really that clueless when it comes to what a publisher actually does?
I don’t suppose you can read two more post after do you, you blind fuck. Before Detroit GOW3 and after Detroit TLOU2.

MrS

Banned
Maybe the difference is that BR2049 isn't a PlayStation exclusive game, so doesn't get impacted by fanboy wars shit. Or because it wasn't a David Cage game, since for some reason some people seems to hate him when is ok with other games doing the same.
Good points. Seems like much ado about nothing in terms of the content of what David Cage wanted to do. I'd read somewhere that Sony tried to reel Kojima in from doing some outlandish stuff he wanted to do in Death Stranding and I think this is a bad look for them. They should let creative talent do what they want to do and create the games they want to make. There's no way they'd put up so much resistance to Naughty Dog. I trust Kojima and David Cage a hell of a lot more than Herman Hulst, who is now the one calling the shots for Sony, when it comes to creating innovative games.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Good points. Seems like much ado about nothing in terms of the content of what David Cage wanted to do. I'd read somewhere that Sony tried to reel Kojima in from doing some outlandish stuff he wanted to do in Death Stranding and I think this is a bad look for them. They should let creative talent do what they want to do and create the games they want to make. There's no way they'd put up so much resistance to Naughty Dog.

You can kind of see where Sony is coming from in 2021 though. All it takes is one danger hair to be streaming a game, they see something "problematic", it blows up all over social media, and then the mob gets triggered and Kotaku spams articles blasting Sony for not being an ally.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Did everyone forget they have a whole brothel investigation section of the game? Club Eden, where you recreate an erotic torture scenario and then hunt the Android prostitutes? They probably just cut some narrative but kept the assets and reworked it. There is already a lot of abuse, torture and sexuality in the released product. I'm wondering (if this is even true) if the changes came because they were avoiding another beyond two souls narrative mess.

I thought Detroit: Beyond Human was the studio's best work to date.

MrS

Banned
You can kind of see where Sony is coming from in 2021 though. All it takes is one danger hair to be streaming a game, they see something "problematic", it blows up all over social media, and then the mob gets triggered and Kotaku spams articles blasting Sony for not being an ally.
I agree with you there yeah. The climate is much different now to even 5 years ago. It's a sad state of affairs when game creators can't take risks for fear of being cancelled.

Top Bottom