• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Quantic Dream and Sony had a falling out because of a supposed fourth player character in Detroit Become Human ...

Nickolaidas

... because she was a 'whore' android with 'big boobs and blonde hair'. That wasn't really appreciated by Sony who began to not look Quantic Dream as a must-have developer.

Known and reliable industry insider Tom Henderson, who was one of the first ones to leak Quantic Dream’s upcoming Star Wars game, has shed some light on the relationship between Sony and the French developer. Quantic Dream’s partnership with Sony was at its peak at the time its hit PlayStation 3 exclusive Heavy Rain released, but reportedly came tumbling down as the studio delved into controversial content for Detroit: Become Human.

According to Henderson, Detroit: Become Human originally had four protagonists, one of which was a “whore” Android that featured “blond hair and huge boobs.” The protagonist came with controversial scenarios that sat outside Sony’s comfort zone, and partly contributed towards the company wrapping up its three-game deal with Quantic Dream “ASAP.”

At the time the deal ended, Quantic Dream was reportedly working on an open-world space game for Sony, codenamed Project Karma.

“The project was dubbed Project Karma and eventually turned to Project Solstice,” wrote Henderson. “The game had been in development for around two years. Project Karma/Solstice was eventually cancelled as Sony wanted their third and final title in collaboration with Quantic Dream to be on a Detroit: Become Human Kara demo that Quantic had created. Quantic Dream was also having game engine difficulties with an open-world game.”

Henderson can’t say if Project Karma/Solstice has been “morphed” into the rumored Star Wars project, but his sources suggest that the engine Quantic Dream was using back then cannot handle an open-world game.

Full article here: Known Insider Sheds Light on Sony Quantic Dream Relationship (playstationlifestyle.net)

Shit, maybe they (Quantic) should have made her look like Alloy in Forbidden West ...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What The Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Nickolaidas

I think Sony's problem is that one of the main characters (who is supposedly a person to root for) was a sex worker. They probably thought it would be demeaning for women.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not a fan of David Cage games but if its just the subject matter thats pretty dumb. Every 13 year old with a smartphone can already be exposed to a deluge of sex workers. What exactly is taboo about it in 2021?

Did the devs want a fully interactive rape scene or something?

ethomaz

Banned
Detroit: Become Human was rated M and so that censorship doesn't exists.
If it was a T or even lower rate then I could understand.
But Sony doesn't censorship M titles.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
At one hand I'd like to think Sony are the biggest fucking atrocious hypocrites on earth, on the other hand it's David Cage we're talking about. God knows what kind of twisted shit he came up with.
David Cage made a game about a society where Androids were a norm. Do you really think we would not have perverts doing sick shit to androids in our society? Sex androids no less? It fits in with the theme of the game. Humans used and abused androids in this story.

Last edited:
That doesn't seem credible. Why would Sony have anything to do with what goes in a game they didn't fund or even partially own from a third party developer. Sure they had their (timed) exclusivity agreement, but it's not like Sony decides what's goes in and what goes out. It's not like QD has to pitch their concepts to Sony for their total approval.i don't buy this "3 game exclusivity deal" sounds like bullshit. Why would any company make a deal like that so in advance before even the game's conception? It makes more sense they would deal with the games individually. Crazy to imagine someone take the risk of signing a contract for 3 games (that's like 10 years of work and expenses), where either part can't back out of it if things aren't working after the 1st or 2nd game, without any major repercussions/penalties at the very least.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol bullshit. Simply Sony won't work with an studio with many women harrassment on the courts....
This honestly seems more credible, considering Sony caught heat and had to make statements about it at the time.

But people gonna do what they gonna do in here, even though others are providing examples of sexual content and full on nudity in games released before, on, and after Detroit.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Does this insider/source story is credible ?

I mean the main story in detroit seems to be centered on Connor and Marcus

We already have Kara for the side character/ she doing her own thing

What does the 4th character purpose here ?

If the story are true i suppose that prostitutes are North ( North background are prostitutes)

Anyway im sad if that Project Solstice game were cancelled because of this

An open world space game by them? I never expect something like that from them and i admitted im curious about this...sadly cancelled game..

Last edited:
Does this insider/source story is credible ?

I mean the main story in detroit seems to be centered on Connor and Marcus

We already have Kara for the side character/ she doing her own thing

What does the 4th character purpose here ?

If the story are true i suppose that prostitutes are North ( North background are prostitutes)

Anyway im sad if that Project Solstice game were cancelled because of this

An open world space game by them? I never expect something like that from them and i admitted im curious about this...sadly cancelled game..

Could of been the spiritual sequel/successor to one of their and imo underrated games omikron: the nomad soul.

Elios83

Seems a bunch of bullshit.
Main reason Sony dropped them is that after the success of the first game (Heavy Rain) both Beyond and Detroit underperformed both critically and commercially.
At the same time the studio was getting hit with harassment accusations, toxic work environment accusations and lawsuits.
Put all that together and you realize that Sony has distanced themselves from other studios for much less.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I doubt the big boobs were the problem.
Knowing David Cage, it would have included a scene where you press buttons to undress yourself then a QTE where your characther is f*cked, maybe even some killing while in the act.
My thought aswell

I remember that in Heavy Rain theres a scene where our female characters ( Madison ) had a gun pointed at her at some point

Failing some QTE and she get undressed with her bare chest exposed in front of the guy pointing gun at her

Maybe Cage wants to go further this time?

Want us to perfom some kind sex QTE ? Gore QTE? And of course sony said no?

With someone like david cage we never know what to expect this guy is crazier than kojima

Last edited:

Neilg

I honestly would have loved to see David cage's 'nuanced' take on playing as an android prostitute. Guarantee almost every scene would have been more embarrassing than anything else in detroit.

Top Bottom