• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently, Horizon Forbidden West will have its own 'Gwent' game for Alloy to play with NPCs.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Who doesn't love a game within a game? Many RPGs and open world adventures feature in-universe recreational activities — these can be simple mini-games or fully fleshed out experiences in their own right, like Gwent in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It sounds as though Guerrilla Games has been inspired by this, as the world of Horizon Forbidden West will be full of opportunities to play something called Strike.

There's not a whole lot of info about Strike right now; it's been extremely quietly "announced" in an FAQ on the PlayStation website. What we do know is that it's a "board game played by inhabitants of the world of Horizon", played using sculpted pieces representing the various animal-like machines that roam the land. "Aloy will be introduced to Strike in Horizon Forbidden West and she can challenge many different NPCs to a match," the FAQ states. We imagine the game will be Chess-like in nature, but we'll have to wait and see.

As part of all the pre-order business revealed earlier today, a couple of editions of the game mention Strike pieces — this is what they're referring to. For example, pre-ordering the Digital Deluxe edition will grant you an Apex Clawstrider Strike Piece, which you'll then be able to use in Strike matches in-game. It sounds to us like these Strike Pieces will be collectable throughout your journey, which is pretty cool.

I liked playing Gwent with other NPCs in Witcher 3, even though it was a time waster. But then again, isn't that what all games are supposed to be?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
18.png

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Aloy.

I love me a good in-game game (I did all the Gwent quests in TW3, except for finding every last card), so I'm all for this.

Last edited:

Markio128

Oh god, no…. I spent countless hours playing Gwent, so this is bitter/sweet news for me. Strike will do well to be as satisfying as Gwent though, in all honesty.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I liked Gwent. I do not think it fits for Horizon.

Guess I'll try it, maybe it'll be better. I'll keep an open mind.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sounds good. The biggest complaint from Horizon Zero Dawn was having nothing to do or see in it's open world

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This game really is heavily inspired by so many other successful games. I know it was always pretty obvious but man, they are double downing on it now right.

Still day one for me but kinda crazy to see.

Mr.ODST

Which version of the game is this in?

Jokes aside could be pretty cool if done right, Gwent was fun.

Keihart

Maybe it'll be an in game microtransaction to play it, +10 usd to activate the starter pack for the minigame and +3 usd for booster packs.
i mean, it would be in line with their next gen pricing.

GymWolf

I personally don't give a fuck about card minigames in horizon, but maybe people is gonna like the fact that you don't always fight in this game, it was a flaw for many people in the previous game.

Just don't lock any good equipment behind this thing.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Cool, if it's good I'm all for it. I got the plat for TW3 which required a whole lot of Gwent, I enjoyed every second of it 👌.

GymWolf

Sounds good. The biggest complaint from Horizon Zero Dawn was having nothing to do or see in it's open world
Yeah hopefully they added far more than a damn card game.

The first game severely lacks dynamic or even scripted events with humans and dinos, sometimes you see some group of hunters battling with dinobot but it was all very superficial and not organic.

We need to see far more open world events, the card game is probably more for when you are inside a city.

They need to copy from days gone or rdr2, hell even ac, wd and fc were better in this aspect...

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It should include every character from Sony franchise so that Sony can later break off and make standalone Gwent, Hearthstone.

Mediaeval or Post apocalyptic future, everybody likes to play cards. Question is, do they enjoy playing strip poker also.

From what I recall, Horizon's tribes are in like the bronze age culturally speaking... card games means manufacturing paper or cardboard. A board game is culturally appropiated since the board and pieces can be carved from wood or bone, a card game does not fit.

Last edited:

skit_data

Oh no, I hope there isn’t a ”collect all cards”-trophy or ”win against all npcs”-trophies.

Other than that, it can be fun.

sublimit

Banned
I loved Gwent in TW3. One of the best things in that game.I would love something like that in Horizon but i doubt they can make something as good.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

From what I recall, Horizon's tribes are in like the bronze age culturally speaking... card games means manufacturing paper or cardboard. A board game is culturally appropiated since the board and pieces can be carved from wood or bone, a card game does not fit.
I am pretty sure if they only went with the theme with HZD they can have holographic shit or something. I mean doesn't normal vendor sell rigged high tech weapons.

Top Bottom