• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends Community Finds Comments Posted by Lead Balance Designer in 2007, Goes After Him, Wife Miscarriages, Gets Fired

JoeBudden

This seems to be how respawn works unfortunately, they did the same with Titanfall 2. Nerf after nerf after nerf of whatever was used the most, until everything was equally crap. I see nothing has changed.

Oh I only saw the twitter thread. Thanks, will read.

Yup. It's exactly the same. Worse actually because it's a hero based shooter and this stuff results in multiple legends sitting at the bottom of all of their metrics (win rate, pick rate, etc) for multiple seasons in a row (ex. Fuse, Rampart, Crypto, etc)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yup. It's exactly the same. Worse actually because it's a hero based shooter and this stuff results in multiple legends sitting at the bottom of all of their metrics (win rate, pick rate, etc) for multiple seasons in a row (ex. Fuse, Rampart, Crypto, etc)

Please explain why his baby deserved to die because of that.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Interesting that TF2 also introduced hero classes for both humans and Titans and they couldn't balance it to save their lives, then they repeat the same mistake with apex.

Please explain how a baby died as a result of bad balancing decisions in an online shooter.
I'm with you on this one - the miscarriage is unfortunate, but there's zero way to prove it was caused by this. Could the stress have possibly caused it? Maybe, but you wouldn't find a doctor in the world that could or would be able to go "oh yeh that's what did it".

Last edited:
The woman who had the miscarriage said it was. Stop trying to justify the mob causing his wife to miscarriage.
She blames the toxic community in her tweets. She then goes on to say she’s staying at EA to make it a safe place to work for oppressed individuals because her partner can’t anymore.

I don’t get the impression that she blames EA. I also found her tweets on the matter disturbingly casual. I don’t know a single woman that would stay at a company if they felt it was the reason they lost their child. I hate to be negative, but I’m willing to bet their more to the pregnancy story than we know.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It doesn't matter who said it. How the hell do you prove it was a direct result of Respawn firing him and this whole matter?

You are going a LONG WAY to push this miscarriage into "wacky coincidence" territory. Especially when -

I won't. I'm not talking about killing women or wildly racist shit at 30yo like he was.

Yall should read into what he said and how old he was when he said it. You'll understand why it's reasonable to assume his coworkers may feel uncomfortable around him to the point it will hurt productivity at work.

- you're clearly OK with drawing conclusions.

Fbh

Best thing you can do for your professional life these days is delete all social media. If you want to post something online do it anonymously with a nickname you use nowhere else and can't be traced back to you.
Also who the fuck even has the time to go digging for shit other people said 15 years ago?

4COYiIO.jpg

NickFire

I'm not suprised that neogaf has completely decided with someone who (used) to be racist and sexist without question.

I get that everything is not as black and white and I wouldn't call him a bad person. He seems genuialy regretful. But straight away users here have defended racist actions unequivocally and threw terms around like "woke".
It's rather sad that some people think being decent human beings who recognize that people make mistakes (over WORDS) that don't warrant life changing repercussions decades later, is a bad thing.

I'd have the dude's back if not for the groveling apology.
Was he a bad dude? No, while he was an overly progressive shill who was open about being in an open relationship (Keep it to yourself homie) he never once deserved to be dragged or fired.

Was he shit at his job and needed to be reeled in? Yes, he made some BAAAAAD decisions on Apex regarding balance but he designed Kairi Umehara and she's like an A Tier Legend so he has that in his legacy at least.
Ahh, so into cuckoldry is he? I don't judge... wait nvm yes I do judge.

This has gotta be some MAGA bros stirring up this 14 year old shit and then sitting back and laughing as they eat their own. To that I say well done, hypocrites getting caught in the crossfire is really just about the only plus to 'cancel culture'

ManaByte

Gold Member
She blames the toxic community in her tweets. She then goes on to say she’s staying at EA to make it a safe place to work for oppressed individuals because her partner can’t anymore.

I don’t get the impression that she blames EA. I also found her tweets on the matter disturbingly casual. I don’t know a single woman that would stay at a company if they felt it was the reason they lost their child. I hate to be negative, but I’m willing to bet their more to the pregnancy story than we know.

You do realize the toxic community is the DIRECT reason why he got fired, right? That toxic community's lynch mob is why she miscarried. It's shocking that so many people in this thread are trying to justify KILLING A BABY because of dumb shit someone said 14 years ago that was dug up by psychopaths upset about a shoot bang video game.

DonF

Terrible work in the latest legend, horribly unbalanced. But firing someone over stupid posts from 14 years ago...lol.

You do realize the toxic community is the DIRECT reason why he got fired, right? That toxic community's lynch mob is why she miscarried. It's shocking that so many people in this thread are trying to justify KILLING A BABY because of dumb shit someone said 14 years ago that was dug up by psychopaths upset about a shoot bang video game.
I never justified the death of the child. I’m just pointing out that she never once says it’s the company’s fault, and she still works for the company that fired her partner.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not sure which is worse here sociopaths doing corporate ball washing or trying to find the positive in this or the psychopaths that lynched these people is worse or if both are f-ed up enough that it is meaningless to compare what is worse :/…

Last edited:

tassletine

This isn't about something trivial like swearing.

Dude was saying absolutely egregious shit online that would concern a lot of people today, mainly his coworkers. And it was all while he was a grown man at 30yo, not a child.

Like I said in another post, it's a lot easier to replace him than to ask everyone who works with him to forgive him and look past the shit he supposedly believes in.

This isn't your typical cancellation story over something ridiculously stupid and trivial. You wouldn't want to work next to someone like this guy if you knew what he was talking about on his free time.
My point was that his behaviour was tolerated and that there are people now who think swearing is intolerable, so you can't predict what will happen in the future.
That's life.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
One's a reasonable assumption, and the other is a wild leap.

A wild leap? The wife straight up said the situation (not necessarily the firing) caused her to miscarry. Where are the folks at EA coming out and saying "Whew. . .finally. It felt icky working with that guy."

. . .and you need to be honest: the guy was 27 when he made those comments (the "worst" of which is a joke about Africans). Not a child, but still young enough to think shock is funny.

JoeBudden

Not a child, but still young enough to think shock is funny.

Sounds like arrested development if you ask me.

Look into the stuff he was saying. Its easy to see why people who work around him would feel uneasy with him in the office.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A wild leap? The wife straight up said the situation (not necessarily the firing) caused her to miscarry. Where are the folks at EA coming out and saying "Whew. . .finally. It felt icky working with that guy."

. . .and you need to be honest: the guy was 27 when he made those comments (the "worst" of which is a joke about Africans). Not a child, but still young enough to think shock is funny.

Shock is always going to be funny, because surprise/transgression is a big part of the value of humour.

The problem is the reign of terror of these puritanical woke-scolds.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm not suprised that neogaf has completely decided with someone who (used) to be racist and sexist without question.

I get that everything is not as black and white and I wouldn't call him a bad person. He seems genuialy regretful. But straight away users here have defended racist actions unequivocally and threw terms around like "woke".
Why do you post here then you nobhead?

ManaByte

Gold Member
And, likewise with the miscarriage being caused by dude getting fired, yEt yoUu kE3p rEpEaatiNg iT!

No one ever said it was because he was fired, his wife said it was caused by the whole situation. We have that in HER OWN WORDS. But you keep making up bullshit to claim no one wanted to work with him.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So a guy getting ragged on for dumb 14 year old internet messages by her husband caused her to miscarry (according to her).

Ya, that sure would hold up in a court.

CGiRanger

Banned
I hate cancel culture so much. Especially in cases like this where the so-called "offense" was over a freaking decade old and didn't break any known laws.

What is the point of these witch hunts (because that's exactly what they are)? I thought we strived to "do better" (lol) and learn/grow from our mistakes in our youth. So now people are being excommunicated for youthful transgressions? Even when they've not done anything of the kind for over a decade? Again, what's the goddamn point?

All that said, I myself do have to look at this particular person with some level of disdain because I am all but certain that he'd be the first to engage in this kind of behavior that is being used against him if the opportunity struck.

LordCBH

I don't think they fired him over that, more that the mob was angry and wouldn't be silenced until they got their scalp.

This is why it’s retarded to do what the mob wants. They’re never happy. Just tell the to fuck off. It’s Twitter. It’s not even that many people that they’re bending over to appease.

JoeBudden

No one can say for sure what caused it, but a sudden onslaught of stress is not a good thing during pregnancy.

Sure, but like the bolded, you just can't prove it caused the miscarriage. What happened to her is tragic, but nothing can really be done about it.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Lmao. He agrees that person should've been fired. But I changed.

Fucking weak people.
I sand for anything I ever said in my life and will stand for anything I will ever say in my life. No matter if it's nice or bad.
Well that’s a dumb way to look at things. If you’re wrong, you’re wrong. I bet a lot of us say shit we regret, I’m sure I have. You accept that it was wrong and move on. That doesn’t make the mob digging it up and holding your feet to the fire for something said 14 years ago right either.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Shock is always going to be funny, because surprise/transgression is a big part of the value of humour.

The problem is the reign of terror of these puritanical woke-scolds.

I hate qualifier posts looks this but I'm Black and yeah the Africans joke was shocking. . . but that was clearly the point. At no point did I think "Oh, he really believes this."

So a guy getting ragged on for dumb 14 year old internet messages by her husband caused her to miscarry (according to her).

Ya, that sure would hold up in a court.

I'm going to go with the constant harassment campaign which eventually lead to the harassers threatening their livelihood with dumb 14 year old internet messages was the reason. . . but sure I'll go with your abbreviated version.

PJX

I agree 100% with you. Once a racist always a racist. He's only apologising because he got caught. I do feel sorry that he lost his unborn child. I know the feeling because that happened to me and my wife.

Last edited:
Top Bottom