• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Teen police volunteers steal LAPD cars, patrol Los Angeles

KSweeley

Link: https://apnews.com/b830a761c3514443...olunteers-steal-LAPD-cars,-patrol-Los-Angeles

June 15, 2017

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Three teenagers in a program for those who may want to become officers stole three Los Angeles Police Department vehicles and went on patrol around the city before leading authorities on wild pursuits that ended with crashes, Chief Charlie Beck said Thursday.

The trio — two boys and a girl ages 15, 16 and 17 — “gamed the system” and used a vacationing sergeant’s name to sign out stun guns and radios and drive the cars right out of a stationhouse parking lot, Beck said. Police are investigating whether the teens impersonated officers and pulled over drivers.

The three were arrested Wednesday after two pursuits ended with crashes in South Los Angeles. A third police car was later recovered around the corner from a police station.

The three were part of a program for teen volunteers who work in police stations and go through an academy to learn about the criminal justice system.

Authorities are still trying to figure out exactly when the cars were taken, but Beck said investigators were looking into the possibility that at least one of the vehicles had been missing since May 28.

RedHill

Banned
I hope the LAPD doesn't expect to be taken seriously after allowing this to happen. How do you get clowned that hard by teenagers?

adj_noun

The three were part of a program for teen volunteers who work in police stations and go through an academy to learn about the criminal justice system.

I still sense an opportunity there.

gaugebozo

I took the present tense "steal" to mean this was an ongoing program where teens steal police cars then act as community police.

I'm so very tired.

smurfx

get some go again
dumb kids could have waited a couple of years and then they could break the law and get away with it like regular police officers.

Korey

Only in LA will you have teens pretending to be cops, steal cop cars from the police station, leading to a wild five-star high speed chase.

Lkr

I hope the LAPD doesn't expect to be taken seriously after allowing this to happen. How do you get clowned that hard by teenagers?
If you listen to The Dollop's History of the LAPD, you would never take them seriously

I'm assuming that's the name of the actor who played McLovin? Cause that's who popped in my head too haha

e0955db6dcb48b0f449627a38eb90a52.jpg

akira28

look, I didn't steal the car, you obviously have it back. I only borrowed it. Stop being a little bitch, officer.

borrowing a police car is not a crime. You people are why Police Academy 12 will never get made.

Top Bottom