• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

iR4jMg4.gif

★★★★★ / It greatly captures the moment 90's becoming 00's.

Boss Mog

Saw Uncharted today. I really enjoyed it. I understand why the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is so high. It's nice to see a classic action adventure movie with no propaganda being shoved down your throat in 2022.

SiteSeer

the passenger (1975), by famed italian director michelangelo antonioni. stars jack nicholson as david locke between critically acclaimed roles in chinatown and one flew over the cuckoo's nest, and maria schneider after her star making turn in last tango in paris. locke is a british american journo frustrated by dead-end assignments and an increasingly distant relationship with his wife. while reporting a war in the sahara he meets and befriends a mysterious businessman who dies suddenly, seeing an opportunity to escape the ennui of his current circumstances locke decides to steal the man's identity. while keeping the dead man's business appointments he meets a young woman who is also drifting through life and they proceed on a shared adventure as elements of his old and new life pursue the pair through europe. the pace is slow and the mood pensive, it is not a movie that most people will like but it is a thinking man's movie and i suspect will hit on certain nerves of those genx & millennials now reaching their late 30s or early 40s. the cinematography and locations are gorgeous as well the final scene includes a famous 7 minute long single tracking shot. the closest modern analogue i could think of would be sofia coppola's 2003 film lost in translation. my suggestion is a big tv and to give yourself a good block of uninterrupted time and maybe have a drink or two handy, sit back and let the mood wash over you. it is said that this film was one of jack's favorite roles and he even owned the rights to it for a time.

ikbalCO

I watched Midsommar the other day

398943.jpg

Incredibly unsettling movie. It just makes you feel so uneasy throughout. I found this type of horror way more scarier than the jump scare type. You feel like you are there with the main characters. You don't know what's happening but it is sinister and it just builds up and up. Florence Pugh was absolutely amazing in this film, and I can't believe how well she displays emotions on screen. The rest of the cast is also excellent and play their parts super well. Not a movie for everyone but if you like slow burn horror, you will absolutely adore this.​
One of my favorite movies of the last decade easy. An absolute perfection when it comes to acting, story telling and writing. I dont consider midsommer as a horror movie per se. Yes it does have some horror elements but i think its more of a very dark fairy tale of a lonely girl, looking for empathy and family.

Ari Aster first future film, hereditary is a horror movie though and a very fine one. If you havent seen it yet i highly reccomened it

ikbalCO

Ex Machina and Annihilation were so so good. Cannot wait for next Alex Garland movie. He might be my fav director right now.
Here is a great analysis of annihilation

Both great movies. I love Annihilation more though
Its not a popular opinion but i do like annihilation more than ex machina.
Watched Tenet tonight. It was entertaining enough but I was kinda chuckling throughout because it's just so Christopher Nolan-y that it's starting to feel like a parody of his own movies at this point. Dude is obsessed.
Yeah i hated tenet aswell. The sad thing is after dunkirk i was like, wow so nolas is getting out of the hole he digged himself into but nope. Back to suspense sci fi shit.

Here is a great analysis of annihilation

Its not a popular opinion but i do like annihilation more than ex machina.

Yeah i hated tenet aswell. The sad thing is after dunkirk i was like, wow so nolas is getting out of the hole he digged himself into but nope. Back to suspense sci fi shit.

Already watched this video a few times. This guy nails it when it comes to "x movie explained" I hate this trend so much. And yeah I actually like Annihilation better too, it's in top 10 movies of the last 10 years for sure for me :)

FunkMiller

Go see The Batman if you want a grim, serious, dark, and grounded take on the character.

If you want a typical superhero movie, avoid it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The King's Man.

Although, I can't say it was good. It was actually fucking awful. Truly, nonsensical plot that didn't make a lick of sense. It was like they couldn't decide on a plot, so just slapped two plot ideas together and hoped for the best.

Their version of Rasputin as a sex crazed, religious fanatic was sooooo OTT. And his 'ballerina' martial art was laughable.

I also got REALLY triggered when they kept refering to the UK as England. England is just one of the home countries!

ikbalCO

veLPHQX.png

one of the finest movies of the year. deserves all the noms it recieved. i've heard some critisizm over the movie being an oscar bait with gay cowboys and whatnot but this movie is just much more than that.

the ending is quite impactful as well. left me really suprised since i thought the movie was going to an entirely different direction.

a must watch.

MadAnon

Caught The Big Lebowski on TV. Never seen it before and my god is it awful. Who the hell finds it funny in any way? Ok, the part where he tried to block his door with a chair and the part where Walter poured ashes of their friend made me chuckle a bit. But everything else, including the plot, is AWFUL! It was painful to sit through but I wanted to see how it all wraps up, but even that was one big wet fart.

Is this one of those "it's so retarded it's funny" movies? No idea how it's rated so high.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Fianlly got around to watch all the Bourne movies.

The original trilogy was really good. Probably liked Ultimatum best because of the tight action scenes (the plot didn't do too much for me in general). Legacy was a weird one. Like they wanted to make a Bounre universe or something (what a strange idea...). It was quite boring and unnecessary. Jason Bourne was once again solid but lacked really good action scenes and I also found the plot not very interesting.

3>1>2>Bourne>Legacy

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Nightmare Alley (2021). Bradley Cooper, Toni Collette, Cate Blanchett etc. Director is Guillermo del Toro. Film noir adaptation of the book, which was also made into a 1940s film noir starring Tyrone Power. Probably the best movie I saw from 2021 besides Dune

Last edited:

Prison Mike

Banned
Boiling point.
Stephen Graham is amazing in this as a chef who's life goes downhill during one busy service.
Also amazingly film was shot in one go.

Watched Power of the Dog and West Side Story this week, both for the first time. I thought Dog was great--I'd heard that 'it's a Western where nothing happens,' so I was afraid that it would just be lots of scenes of family members sitting around a kitchen table feeling angry, that sort of thing, but it does a really good job of maintaining tension and engagement without much of a traditional plot. It also looks great. I also thought West Side Story looked great. I've never seen the original, and I was honestly surprised at how many songs I recognized or sorta-recognized. But man is there some bad stuff in the plot.

I've also rewatched a bunch of stuff this week: Blade Runner 2049, Dune, that Ben Affleck Daredevil movie, The Godfather. I hadn't seen BR 2049 in a few years and it might be one of my favorite movies right now. The cinematography and music are just A+.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Legacy was a weird one. Like they wanted to make a Bounre universe or something (what a strange idea...). It was quite boring and unnecessary.
Flowers for Bournegernon was fun, but should not have been a Bourne movie. It was an interesting idea that Renner could have carried on his own; instead they tacked the Bourne name onto it and made everyone compare Renner to Damon and that movie to the first three Bourne movies. It didn't fall flat exactly, but it didn't live up my expectations of a Bourne movie, and I imagine many others had the same experience.

Catphish

Just watched The Adam Project with my daughter.

Fun flick. Funny, with cool sci-fi shit and enough of a tug on the heartstrings to be memorable.

Not perfect, but worth the time spent.

8/10 (y)

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
yUcxqys.jpg

Shot in a first person, fly on the wall style, the film follows the turmulous night in a restaurant focussing primarily on the head chef who's life is falling apart.

I really enjoyed this one. Good performances and the setting of the high pressure kitchen environment on a night where the restaurant is over-booked works well as the personal problems of the main character are all coming to a head.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Little late to the party on this one. Heard very mixed reviews, but personally I thought it was great! I didn't see the emotive end twist coming and Kenneth Branagh was outstanding as Poirot. A little slow in places, but overall a captivating and satisfying murder mystery.

4/5

image_37a1eab9.jpeg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I watched three movies last weekend which is rare for me.

300 - watched with my son. He liked it. I haven't seen it since it was originally released and I was surprised how much I remembered about it. It's still visually striking and enjoyable. Would never get made today.

Cheaper by the Dozen (new version on Disney +) - told my daughter she could pick and so this is what we ended up with. She liked it. It was like a 90s sitcom turned into a 2 hr movie. No thanks.

Deep Water - this was oddly compelling although something seems slightly off about it. Affleck is a good actor and the movie would never work on any level without his performance and the female lead whose name escapes me and also does a great job. You have to just suspend disbelief and go with it.

ikbalCO

JnErxto.jpg

This movie. This movie.

Something about this movie work so great in a way that i have never witnessed before in a future film. Acting writing editing sound and visual effects come together in perfect harmony.

Dare i say it, best implementation of a multiverse idea in any medium.

One of the best movies ive ever seen, might be the very best.

A24 still delivers.

Mr Hyde

The Northman

I thought it was very good. Very authentic and poetic. It seemed to draw a lot of inspiration from Shakespeare in its dialogue and the fight scenes were incredibly well coreographed. It had some dull moments but those were few and far between. It was grand and epic without being "grand and epic" if you know what I mean. It wasn´t Hollywood bullshit grand and epic, with sad violins and some dickhead screaming about freedom at the top of his lungs, instead very gritty and dark and believable. The setting, characters, everything was almost spot on from Scandinavian lore and mythology. Then I saw the end credits that Robert Eggers had directed the movie and I was like "Okay, now I understand why the movie was so authentic." This guy is incredible. The Witch and The Lighthouse are some of the best recent movies ever made and they also got highly praised for Eggers style of directing. Hollywood better not be corrupting this guy with their bullshit. He is the real deal.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

KyMZfh1.jpg

Saw this today.
I havent seen a movie this manly since ford vs ferrari and boy, how we need more movies like this.
this is a testesterone filled, force of an adventure through and through.
It was grand and epic without being "grand and epic" if you know what I mean. It wasn´t Hollywood bullshit grand and epic, with sad violins and some dickhead screaming about freedom at the top of his lungs, instead very gritty and dark and believable.
This is a spot one little summary of the movie.

Also kudos to eggars for not white washing the viking/norse history.
There is a disturbance trend recent years. Every content, based in viking history potrays them as heroes for i guess, coolness sake but northman shows how vile amd wild vikings were perfectly. In the movie they are rapists, pillagers and genocidle as they should be and as they were.

last duel between fjolnir and amleth is how every duel in star wars should be.

And this movie made me wanna play ac valhalla.

Kev Kev

started rewatching bladerunner 2049 last night and its really good

its not thta i didnt like it the first time around, but man did i just straight up miss some really important plot points the first time. im understanding things way better the second time and im feeling much more engaged with the movie. the atmosphere is still great, the music is fantastic, the story is layered and nuanced and mysterious. im loving it. i decided to break it down into a couple watches since its nearly a 3 hour movie.

but yeah way better second time around.

UncleMeat

Spiderman NWH - This piece of shit is the 6th highest grossing movie of all time? How?! I was kind of over MCU already but I thought this movie must be at least a little bit cool if it did that well...was it just the nostalgia for the Raimi trilogy? I never liked the old spiderman movies anyway so that did nothing for me. Anyways just a completely boring, underwhelming, mind-numbing piece of shit. With the exception of Guardians of the Galaxy I'm done with MCU.

I did see the Northman and really dug it. Kind of a bloody viking acid trip of a movie. Also the theater I was at had a great sound system - I highly recommend seeing it in a good theater if you see it.

Last edited:
MovieGAF, I need some help. Plan on going to the cinema and I’m torn between watching Orphan: First Kill, The Invitation or Beast with Idris Elba. Anybody with experience of these movies would be appreciated to share their views.

ikbalCO

hLSIa2B.jpg

Fantastic movie.

As a turk i can easily say this movie captures the mystic, colors and aura of ottoman/middle eastern history beautifully. Ofcourse it is a fiction but there some parts where its icredibly accurate and almost feel too real eventhough the movie looks like fairytale in pretty much every scene. I am talking about the story of sultan murad the iv and the sultan ibrahim especially

dr_octagon

Banned
Little late to the party on this one. Heard very mixed reviews, but personally I thought it was great! I didn't see the emotive end twist coming and Kenneth Branagh was outstanding as Poirot. A little slow in places, but overall a captivating and satisfying murder mystery.

4/5
Better than David Suchet?

Top Bottom