• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

I watched Midsommar the other day

398943.jpg

Incredibly unsettling movie. It just makes you feel so uneasy throughout. I found this type of horror way more scarier than the jump scare type. You feel like you are there with the main characters. You don't know what's happening but it is sinister and it just builds up and up. Florence Pugh was absolutely amazing in this film, and I can't believe how well she displays emotions on screen. The rest of the cast is also excellent and play their parts super well. Not a movie for everyone but if you like slow burn horror, you will absolutely adore this.​

Durien

398943.jpg

Incredibly unsettling movie. It just makes you feel so uneasy throughout. I found this type of horror way more scarier than the jump scare type. You feel like you are there with the main characters. You don't know what's happening but it is sinister and it just builds up and up. Florence Pugh was absolutely amazing in this film, and I can't believe how well she displays emotions on screen. The rest of the cast is also excellent and play their parts super well. Not a movie for everyone but if you like slow burn horror, you will absolutely adore this.​
I agree! I thought it was well done.

SiteSeer

the moustache, a 2005 french movie about a man who shaves off his life-long moustache one day to surprise his wife but for some reason she and many other people in his life don't seem to notice ... cue suspenseful drama. i've read that some call this a movie about lost identity or mental deterioration, but my thoughts were that this was a movie about escalation. what starts off as a small change snowballs to become something much bigger. the full movie is apparently on youtube atm, so for those film lovers who are tired of cgi filled action movies give this one a try.

UncleMeat

I watched The Rescuers Down Under today with the nephews. Haven't watched it since I was a kid but I remember liking it and I have to say it's really good!

When people talk about the Disney renaissance they bring up Little Mermaid, B&TB, Aladdin and Lion King and this movie gets skipped but it really deserves to be mentioned with those other great films. It came out the same weekend as Home Alone and didn't do well at the box office so yada yada yada you know how that goes.

The opening scene with the kid and the eagle is really incredible and is up there with some of the great animated scenes Disney has ever done. Not a musical, no princesses and moves along really fast. Great cast.

Anyways you guys should watch it with the kids.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Tropic Thunder

This movie would never fly today. It is very offensive and it's funny as hell. The premise is so absurd, but in a way totally believable. It's about a couple of primadonna film actors getting stuck in the jungle shooting a war movie. It's a parody of Hollywood film industry and features loads of funny stereotypes. You got Ben Stiller mocking action stars and actors going for Oscar bait playing mentally challenged people. You got Robert Downey Jr doing blackface (and he does it so good). Jack Black playing a self absorbed asshole who's addicted to heroin. And the list goes on. The funniest part though is Tom Cruise playing a ruthless executive that cusses out everyone. The best scene is his crazy dance moves and when he barks at that Vietnamese war lord. "Take a step back and literally FUCK YOUR OWN FACE!" Hysterical. I remember this movie being pretty controversial upon its release in 2008 so I can't imagine how it would be received today. Classic movie and the last great parody if you ask me.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I watched about 3/5ths of Spawn yesterday. Never seen it before and never will again, but John Leguizamo sure loved his part. That's probably the cheesiest movie I've ever seen.

After that I switched over to Assassins with Sly Stallone and Antonio Banderas. This one was quite a bit better, though still plenty of cheese. I loved the ridiculousness of Sly playing a chess game over in his head for 14 years and never seeing the instant checkmate this other assassin randomly knew. I actually liked it a lot. The kinda movie you eat a pizza with.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The House came out recently on Netflix. I think someone at Netflix really wants some stop-motion projects on their platform, because one of their most recently animated releases, an in-house (co-)production called The Willoughbys, was very clearly inspired by stop-motion, and after The House they have at least three more stop-motion films releasing in 2022 and 2023 (Del Toro's Pinocchio, Selick's Wendell and Wild, and Chicken Run 2).
It's a real sick anthology film containing three half-hour stories about a special house. I was more than pleased with the experience, it's easily the best animated film I've seen Netflix produce. Highly recommend.

Kev Kev

The House came out recently on Netflix. I think someone at Netflix really wants some stop-motion projects on their platform, because one of their most recently animated releases, an in-house (co-)production called The Willoughbys, was very clearly inspired by stop-motion, and after The House they have at least three more stop-motion films releasing in 2022 and 2023 (Del Toro's Pinocchio, Selick's Wendell and Wild, and Chicken Run 2).
It's a real sick anthology film containing three half-hour stories about a special house. I was more than pleased with the experience, it's easily the best animated film I've seen Netflix produce. Highly recommend.
i wanted to watch that last nite but passed. ill give it a shot if you think its good tho. thanks!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

398943.jpg

Yeah I watched this the other day and thought it was great. The cinematography really helps build that sense of unease. Similar idea to Wickerman. Some of the 'gore' is also deeply unsettling.

Javthusiast

Banned
Good? Nah. But I watched Torque for the very first time and holy shit is this Fast and Furious clone shite, OMG! I was laughing like crazy during the final cg sequence and a fucking jet bike driving through the city breaking the speed of light. xD

Also, the dude from F&F who got his arm stuck in that truck sequence is the bad guy, with a stupid as hell mullet.

Biff

Go (1999). Decent movie on its own but elevated by the nostalgia factor for anyone who grew up in the 90s. I remember seeing this movie while browsing shelves in my local Blockbuster thanks to its bright blue and yellow front cover but never rented it. Light-hearted, silly, funny, and an interesting direction style. Good writing and appropriate acting (sometimes campy sometimes serious). Turn your brain off and enjoy!

p22544_p_v10_ae.jpg

The Wave (2015). Special thanks to I collect VHS tapes I collect VHS tapes for this recommendation in the Natural Disaster Movie thread. I really enjoyed this movie. The first half of the movie is a science thriller and very captivating. The second half is mostly plausible disaster simulation but I feel the final "conflict" in the movie (no spoilers) drifted a little close to "silly" without actually crossing the line. Overall recommend it as long as you are okay reading subtitles (Norwegian language).

The_Wave_%282015_film%29.jpg

Last edited:
Go (1999). Decent movie on its own but elevated by the nostalgia factor for anyone who grew up in the 90s. I remember seeing this movie while browsing shelves in my local Blockbuster thanks to its bright blue and yellow front cover but never rented it. Light-hearted, silly, funny, and an interesting direction style. Good writing and appropriate acting (sometimes campy sometimes serious). Turn your brain off and enjoy!

p22544_p_v10_ae.jpg

The Wave (2015). Special thanks to I collect VHS tapes I collect VHS tapes for this recommendation in the Natural Disaster Movie thread. I really enjoyed this movie. The first half of the movie is a science thriller and very captivating. The second half is mostly plausible disaster simulation but I feel the final "conflict" in the movie (no spoilers) drifted a little close to "silly" without actually crossing the line. Overall recommend it as long as you are okay reading subtitles (Norwegian language).

I agree, ending was definitely the weakest part of The Wave. Overall a very solid movie that could have been great if it had a better ending. Still a good time.

They made a sequel I haven’t watched yet called The Quake. I think it involves the same family. Different director but still highly rated.

Last edited:

398943.jpg

In my Top Ten Horror for me

As for me, saw Hacksaw Ridge. Great movie

Finally got around to watch Lone Ranger yesterday.

it has kind of a slow start but gets quite decent about an hour in. It sure is an uncommon film for Disney though as it‘s nit very funny and has quite some gruesome stuff (for Disney I mean) in it. Can‘t believe they gave Verbinski 255 million for that.

7/10
That Train Sequence at the end is one of the GOATs

poppabk

The sequel "The Quake" is also good if a lot more implausible and on a much larger scale.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Watched The Prestige again tonight. Love the movie. Usually like watching it in the winter. It's still probably my favorite Nolan movie, but the one thing I always have a hang up with is someone would've been able to tell that Fallon was a twin or knew something was up long before Sarah did.

BigBooper

Watched The Prestige again tonight. Love the movie. Usually like watching it in the winter. It's still probably my favorite Nolan movie, but the one thing I always have a hang up with is someone would've been able to tell that Fallon was a twin or knew something was up long before Sarah did.
I love that movie, but agree.

The third remake of the Wannsee Conference (where the "Final Solution to the Jewish Question" was decided).

Frighteningly well played and probably the filming closest to reality. A chamber play of terror. Unfortunately only in german for the time being.

Zeroing

Banned
I’ve watched Titane! I’m still processing that movie! I’m glad French cinema is becoming rebellious again.

I also saw the tragedy of mcBeth, great visually.

BigBooper

Finished up the 1994 miniseries of The Stand. I'm not sure what to think about it. It's very ethereal, somewhat like Twin Peaks, but that's mostly because so much is missing from the story that was in the book. I can't imagine someone unfamiliar with the book being able to follow what's happening in the story.

All that aside, what's here is pretty good. The characters were cast well and acting is generally good and cheesy, like the book. The Randall Flagg character is laughably unscary. If you want some Stephen King cheese, I recommend checking it out.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I LOVE that 90's miniseries. In fact, most of the King mini-series adaptations are decent to great.

I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen a return to the miniseries format in the streaming era. Yeah, there are some "limited series" bullshit now but a long form movie with no intent to add more seasons used to be the TV EVENT OF THE YEAR all through the 80's and 90's. Now we just get these 6-10 episode "Seasons" that stretch out the story too long but also don't have the repeat watchability of a truely episodic show.

BigBooper

I LOVE that 90's miniseries. In fact, most of the King mini-series adaptations are decent to great.

I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen a return to the miniseries format in the streaming era. Yeah, there are some "limited series" bullshit now but a long form movie with no intent to add more seasons used to be the TV EVENT OF THE YEAR all through the 80's and 90's. Now we just get these 6-10 episode "Seasons" that stretch out the story too long but also don't have the repeat watchability of a truely episodic show.
Yes! I was talking with my brother last week about how I wished Netflix would make mini series. As it is, they just leave so many shows lingering without a satisfying conclusion that I don't even want to start a show unless it's got a few satisfying seasons already.

It was long time ago since I've seen Stand but I have fond memories of it. Especially the beggining, ending with that bomb was weird.
Back on topic I've recently watched The World's End 2013 and Hot Fuzz 2007. 2 out of Edgard Wrights trilogy. Both great comedies with action and horror elements. Need to rewatch Shaun of the Dead 2004.

AJUMP23

I watched the French Dispatch. I found it charming and fun. It has some really great stuff in it. Also Lea Seydoux is an incredibly beautiful woman.
The-French-Dispatch.jpg

poppabk

The new movie from Guillermo Deltoro is great
Nightmare Alley? Watched it last night and thought it was great. The second half is definitely slightly lesser than the first, but still enjoyable and very well made.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
This is my Go-to thread when I'm looking for something to watch and I haven't been disappointed so far! Some great hidden gems in there.

Keep watching and posting, thank you!

Alebrije

Nightmare Alley? Watched it last night and thought it was great. The second half is definitely slightly lesser than the first, but still enjoyable and very well made.
Yea that, great ambient specially on the carnival setup. Nice story about monsters.

poppabk

I don't believe that even Sarah knew, that's why she commits suicide, as she can't take the way her husband only loves her some of the time. The fact that no one knows is the whole point of the movie, it's so obvious and yet no-one spots it. The movie even tells you explicitly at the beginning, but on my first viewing I did not realize until the end.

I saw There Will be Blood recently. What a masterpiece, I can't believe I hadn't seen it after all this time. Instantly climbed into my top 5 list.

Because I became a fan of the director, I watched The Master shortly after. There Will be Blood is much better

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't believe that even Sarah knew, that's why she commits suicide, as she can't take the way her husband only loves her some of the time. The fact that no one knows is the whole point of the movie, it's so obvious and yet no-one spots it. The movie even tells you explicitly at the beginning, but on my first viewing I did not realize until the end.
I think Sarah might have known because she kept saying "I know what you really are, Alfred!" but I think she killed herself because she realized she'd always be second fiddle to his magic act and his obsession to live his act.

o9XuZiS.gif

★★★★☆ / Almost twenty thirty three years old and still packs a punch and get the little grey cells working. There are several points in the film when you feel that he's getting somewhere to working out what's happening to him, that it takes a sudden turn and dumps you right back in the dark terror with him. Great psychological thriller.

jason10mm

Gold Member
o9XuZiS.gif

★★★★☆ / Almost twenty thirty three years old and still packs a punch and get the little grey cells working. There are several points in the film when you feel that he's getting somewhere to working out what's happening to him, that it takes a sudden turn and dumps you right back in the dark terror with him. Great psychological thriller.
I still can't figure that film out and I'm not sure I believe the web theories.

I still can't figure that film out and I'm not sure I believe the web theories.
A quote from the movie: "Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: 'The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you', he said. 'They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.'" This pretty much sums up the message of the film for me.

ikbalCO

ziX5Ahf.jpg

I was quite intrigued by all the oscar noms and saw this one last thursday.
It is fantastic and deserves all the noms it got.
Also the movie has one of the strangest short stories ever told in any format.
Beautiful movie, beautiful car.

BigBooper

Finished up the 4K extended Lord of the Rings trilogy today watching over the course of a month and a half. This was the 3rd or 4th time and I was a little surprised by how bored I was with Return of the King, or more specifically the second half of it. I suspect it's because of the long battles, which aren't particularly interesting, except for the one at the Black Gates. Big fight, surpise, another big fight, another surprise, now grind it all out for a while.

This was the first time watching the 4K Bluray version and it was so excellent. I love this series.

Top Bottom