• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finally got around to watch Lone Ranger yesterday.

it has kind of a slow start but gets quite decent about an hour in. It sure is an uncommon film for Disney though as it‘s nit very funny and has quite some gruesome stuff (for Disney I mean) in it. Can‘t believe they gave Verbinski 255 million for that.

7/10

Evergreen College meltdown doc... (3 parts, 75 minutes total)

10/10.

Must watch.

The cowardice...

Don't give Disney+, Amazon Prime, or Netflix your time. This is unreal.

Yeah, I watched these three videos shortly after they were first published.

Stupefying and scary. As is witnessing it spread further and wider.

Definitely worth a watch.

Tesseract

Banned
logged into + to see what's up, not great not terrible

cosmos s01 is there but not s02 or 03, guessing geographic has a lock

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
81aNVy4ogPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've had this on Blu-Ray for a while and after seeing The Town recently I just got such a massive itch to rewatch it. God, this movie is something else. Right from the get go it's an absolute adrenaline kick. Easily got to be one of the best casts ever in a film. De Niro and Pacino still at their best and Val Kilmer definitely peaked with this film, he was awesome. The shootout scene is one of the best cinematic moments ever. Kilmer's realism with the way he handles his weapon and reloads deserves so much praise.

heat%2Bval.gif

Apparently they used blanks which is why the guns sound so real and incredible. I honestly could watch that scene all day.

That exchange with Pacino and De Niro in the restaurant is also perhaps one of the best face-offs in movie history. Two absolute legends on the screen together. Amazing dialogue.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Galveston - 2018 - Directed by Mélanie Laurent - Starring Ben Foster and Elle Fanning - HBO MAX (USA)

A great crime drama that's somewhat of a character study. Slow yet never boring. Kind of a punch in the gut. Highly recommended.

FunkMiller

I've had this on Blu-Ray for a while and after seeing The Town recently I just got such a massive itch to rewatch it. God, this movie is something else. Right from the get go it's an absolute adrenaline kick. Easily got to be one of the best casts ever in a film. De Niro and Pacino still at their best and Val Kilmer definitely peaked with this film, he was awesome. The shootout scene is one of the best cinematic moments ever. Kilmer's realism with the way he handles his weapon and reloads deserves so much praise.

heat%2Bval.gif

Apparently they used blanks which is why the guns sound so real and incredible. I honestly could watch that scene all day.

That exchange with Pacino and De Niro in the restaurant is also perhaps one of the best face-offs in movie history. Two absolute legends on the screen together. Amazing dialogue.

There’d be no Dark Knight without this. Amazing movie 👍

Arkam

What I watched this week (in viewing order):

iu

Branded to Kill (1967) - 6/10 Very interesting assassin vs assassin film but slow scenes and a weird sexual aspect (seriously the smell of rice?) Jo Shishido is solid enough but overall falls a bit flat. Even the big fight scenes are kind of poor in execution and often defy the most basic logic. Could easily be turned into a great video game.

iu

In the Mouth of Madness (1994) - 8/10 One of my favorite suspense/horror films. Very visually striking delivery of a fun "not stephen king" story on the blurred lines of fiction/reality. Some of the imagery is exceptionally wicked and fear inducing.

iu

Short Circuit 2 (1988) - 5/10 Has its moments but a completely unnecessary sequel. Weak attempt to keep asking "what is life" slathered with humor. Young kids will eat it up.
The final chase/fight is pretty epic though.

iu

The Matrix Reloaded (2003) 5/10 More unnecessary than Short Circuit 2. A few cool fights liter a couple hours of worthlessness. Characters, scenes, story.... all crappy. This is how you DDT your own franchise into oblivion.... and somehow the third was worse!

iu

The Boondock Saints (1999) 7/10 Still fun, still horribly made. Humor and gunfights are great. The rest is a hot mess of weak story, bad acting and terrible editing. A lot of quotable lines.

iu

Catch-22 (1970) 7.5/10 Solid attempt to make that crazy book into a film. Great cast and laughed my ass off often (as I did when reading it), but just like the book it is clunky and disjointed. Would probably recommend reading the book over this film since a few of the " jokes" play better as written than performed. Did however totally nail the absurdity of it all. All I want to know is who has my share?

iu

The Lawnmowerman (1992) 6/10 Very cool story and concepts. Akira meets Project X in a dark Flowers for Algernon story arc. It is VERY dated and "90s" so some of the scenes do insult in the audiences intelligence, but easily forgiven as a product of its time. Same goes for the trash visual FX. Brosnan and Fahey deliver good performances and you cna feel their positions of power/control shifting.

iu

Harakiri (1962) 9/10 Phenomenal! Great story! Its a slow burn for sure, but the pay offs are superb. A bit graphic with the seppuku, but if you can handle it, the horror adds to the impact of the story.
And the take on society and (false) honor is brilliant

iu

The Fugitive (1993) 8/10 Holds up well. Still an entertaining sprint to figure out who killed Dr Kimble's wife and why. Tommy Lee Jones makes teh film. Ford does a great job and the supporting cast is good too. But its the Jones scenes that kick it up a notch.

Stuart360

I watched a film late last night that i had never heard of- I Trapped The Devil, from 2018.

Very atmospheric, and kind of caught me off gaurd as i thought it was going to be a crappy micro budget crap fest, but its actually well acted and well shot, with a great music score.

Its basically about a guy who locks the devil in the cellar, and his Brother and Sister in law come to see him for Chjristmas, and they think he's lost his mind, and the film is one of those 'is it or isnt it real?'.
Of course by the end you find out its real.
There is no explanation in the film of why he thinks this guy in the cellar is the devil, how he caught him, why and who keeps calling him on the phone throughout the movie, etc.

The atmosphere and spookiness alone makes it worth a watch for me.

Last night I watched Space Sweepers! The new Netflix movie from the director of Parasite. It had a solid environmentalist plot, the acting was good and the CGI wasn't god awful. Sci-fi fans will probably like it, if you're not a Sci-fi fan then steer clear. I give it a 7/10.

BigBooper

Just watched The Revenant for the first time. Maybe I'm jaded some but I expected the violence to be more shocking than it was. Granted, some things like the
random blood fountain spurting out of his neck when he got his first really good drink
made me wince.

The landscape cinematography was absolutely gorgeous and all of the acting was great especially the captain being supremely pissed when he realized what had happened. Some of the story seemed less than stellar to me. I'm a little familiar with the historical story of Hugh Glass and due to some of their changes, I can see why he hunted the traitor, but the
knifey-hatchet showdown
at the end was a little too Hollywood to match the tone of the rest of the movie. I did like super weird staredown towards the end though. At first I thought what the hell, but then I dug it.

Overall a really good movie that I will probably watch again in the future, and I'd love some extras of just the landscape video set to music. I recommend if you're not super squeemish.
fjudlhw.jpg

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The Guilty:

Its a drama/thriller about a 911 dispatcher trying to save a girl who’s been abducted. It has some twists and turns and another angle related to the dispatcher that’s part of the story, but I thought it was mediocre. I’m a stickler for this kind of stuff. When doctors don’t act like doctors, when detectives don’t act like detectives and when 911 dispatchers don‘t act like real dispatchers. They’re just pet peeves of mine in movies I can’t get past.

Otherwise it was ok, nothing special. I thought Jake Gyllenhaal’s character was really annoying at times.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Short Circuit 2 (1988) - 5/10 Has its moments but a completely unnecessary sequel. Weak attempt to keep asking "what is life" slathered with humor. Young kids will eat it up.
The final chase/fight is pretty epic though.

Yep, saw this at least 4 times as a kid. The first one is the better movie.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not a new film, but I recently watched The Grey with Liam Neeson, which was a lot better than I expected it to be.

I know the wolves in this film are absolutely unrealistic and wouldn't behave this way in real life, but it was a really enjoyable film and I loved the un-hollywood ending twist.

8/10

Operation Condor - Jackie Chan is the epitome of joy.

Natalie Portman kind of ruins every movie she is in for me.
ehh I didn't mind her, having a big crush on her since v for vendetta helps too ;d
Both great movies. I love Annihilation more though
Same. I watched it in order Annihilation first which blew me away and then Ex Machina. Didn't have any expectation for Annihilation at all, just found trailer on netflix interesting. Last 30 minutes are mind-bending in good way. Soundtrack kicks ass, too.

As I said earlier, can't wait for Alex Garland next movie to come out. It's supposed to be horror genre, but man has such a fresh mind I'll take anything. Need to get my hands on one of his novels, particulary "The Beach".

Watched Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049. Both were sorta just okay on plot, but visually, both were amazing, especially 2049. Complete eye candy the entire time. I love DV.

Finally got around to watch Lone Ranger yesterday.

it has kind of a slow start but gets quite decent about an hour in. It sure is an uncommon film for Disney though as it‘s nit very funny and has quite some gruesome stuff (for Disney I mean) in it. Can‘t believe they gave Verbinski 255 million for that.

7/10
Good movie, that last act was amazing

Hnjohngalt

Been on a Chatleston Heston binge lately.
Watched Soylent green, Omega Man, Khartoum, and El Cid. Excellent Movies. I miss the pacing of movies from the 1960s and 1970s.

Mr Hyde

The Babadook

One of the best horror films I've ever seen. Got my hands on the limited 4K edition that released a couple of weeks ago. Brilliant on so many levels, with so many good scares and creepy atmosphere. A single mother is trying to cope after her husband's death and is seeing herself falling down in a depression, unable to provide for herself or her son. Deals with lots of taboo issues such as mental health, sleep deprivation and the inability to love or care for your child. It's all cleverly wrapped up in a classic monster movie where The Babadook represents all these issues, causing all this repressed anger and emotions in the struggling mother. And good lord is he fucking scary. Excellent writing and direction from Jennifer Kent (it's also very rare to see a woman direct a horror film).

Last edited:

Valonquar

Free Guy. It was exactly what the trailers showed, so fun, but forgettable.
The Guilty. Like someone above said, this is not what a 911 dispatcher's office or job would look like. Decent twwwwiiist near the end that we all saw coming a mile away.
Old. This was better than I was expecting. Must "Whoa that is messed UP" type moments.
After seeing the RLM reviews for both Demonic and Malignant you'd think I'd have skipped them... I really should have. Complete and utter trash.

Dr. Suchong

Film4 really do screen some absolute tripe, but "Straight heads" has to be one of the biggest piles of excrement I've ever had the misfortune to be subjected to.
It's only redeemable feature is that it ends.

INC

heat%2Bval.gif

Shoot out is a master piece of cinematography, val kilmer killed it

So gritty, very few films achieve this, ronin manages it, especially with the car chases

The Babadook

One of the best horror films I've ever seen. Got my hands on the limited 4K edition that released a couple of weeks ago. Brilliant on so many levels, with so many good scares and creepy atmosphere. A single mother is trying to cope after her husband's death and is seeing herself falling down in a depression, unable to provide for herself or her son. Deals with lots of taboo issues such as mental health, sleep deprivation and the inability to love or care for your child. It's all cleverly wrapped up in a classic monster movie where The Babadook represents all these issues, causing all this repressed anger and emotions in the struggling mother. And good lord is he fucking scary. Excellent writing and direction from Jennifer Kent (it's also very rare to see a woman direct a horror film).
Might need to rewatch it. I watched it years ago and only thing I remember is being kinda disappointed with it.

partime

Pet on Amazon Prime.

I can't decide if this is more romance than horror? Whole thing is a talking dialog of past hurts, wrongdoing, insecurities, with a flair of gore.

19667827_452043995174769_2264383845117513920_o.jpg

Durien

I just watched Jojo Rabbit and thought it was a REALLY good movie. I realize I am probably late to the party on this one.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Last night I watched Space Sweepers! The new Netflix movie from the director of Parasite. It had a solid environmentalist plot, the acting was good and the CGI wasn't god awful. Sci-fi fans will probably like it, if you're not a Sci-fi fan then steer clear. I give it a 7/10.

I'm sorry but not only is Space Sweepers absolute shit (and yes I'm a huge sci-fi fan), it is also not by Bong Joon Ho but by Sung-hee Jo.

partime

Black Bear is super weird, one I had to look up afterward to get other peoples take on it. Last movie I watched with more questions than answers at the end was Tenet. Plus, Aubrey Plaza is hot.

sjm-eview-Black-Bear_79198073.jpg

Top Bottom