• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

Boss Mog

Just saw Wonders and thought it was really good. I think it´s this generations "Mask", with a great ensemble led by a terrific performance by Jacob Tremblay. It was a bit sentimental at times, but overall it had a moving plot, interesting and layered characters and a message worth taking notice of. Can´t imagine how hard it must be to look different than your peers, especially as a child since kids can be really cruel sometimes, and the filmmakers gets this troublesome living across with Auggies classmates bullying him for his scarred face. Despite the disturbing nature of how society treats those who look different, Wonder had a positive heart and an uplifting spirit, which gave it a warm and fuzzy feel to it. I thought it was gonna be a real tearjerker, and sometimes it was, but it was more happiness than sadness, and I think that was a good route to take.
I'm guessing you're talking about "Mask" starring Eric Stoltz and not the masked crusaders working overtime fighting crime.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
A Monster Calls and My Life As a Zucchini

Good family films. A Monster Calls will break you if you're a softie.

Fbh

I watched pacific rim 2.... it sucked balls! The whole plot is like ripping an anime or something...
Yeah that one was disappointing.

All they had to do was make some badass action scenes but even those were pretty boring and way less exciting than those from the first one.

And the plot twist was fucking dumb... Even for a movie about robots fighting monsters

Last edited:

Orpheum

Watched "Heat" with a friend a couple of Days ago. still a Masterpiece.

Will watch "slenderman" today. Ready for a shitshow.

quoting myself here to give an update. Slenderman was the worst shit i've seen in recent years and never have i seen an entire movie audience agreeing. Do not, i repeat, do not waste money on this huge pile of garbage.

Viktorija Levi

Neo Member
tumblr_mpc6jdIGsC1s8uzeno1_500.gif
yeah - same reaction :D

New Mission Impossible: Fallout ... love it, no logic in anything they do but still, very entertaining. Re-watched SouthPaw ... love it!
The Butler - not bad really. Side effects with Rooney Mara
TV series - Yellowstone (big thumbs up)

Airola

The Happytime Murders was suprisingly good.

It had the initial gimmick of being an official "Muppet" film from the actual Muppet creators that goes way over the line to filthy and dark comedy territories with zero shame, and it worked pretty well.
Then it actually had some legit fun jokes (oh god I cracked at the "put the gun down" scene so much).
The muppets were very sympathetic even when things went filthy.
And even Melissa McCarthy didn't annoy me one bit.

bitbydeath

The Theory of Everything.

Good movie but it seemed like they didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings by not going into the gritty details such as the divorce was - ‘I asked Elaine to goto America with me’. Jane was already cheating on him at this time which went unspoken by either party and they tried to tread as lightly as possible on with the only way knowing was her going into another guys tent while camping.

Solid 6/10 though cause the acting was phenomenal.

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
Sightseers. A black comedy about a couple who start dating and go on holiday together. Turns out the guy is a serial killer. Most serial killers murder people for revenge. This guy kills people for being impolite or dropping litter which makes him the most English serial killer ever. It's directed by Ben Wheatley whose made some excellent movies like Kill List.

TFGB

I vegged out today watching two films back to back.

My Friend Dahmer - strangely alluring, but the end felt like an anticlimax.

Braven - got a 4/5 rating on Sky/Rotten Tomatoes but it felt more like a 2/5. A couple of familiar faces in it, but felt extremely low budget.

Last edited:

bati

Sicario 2 is pretty good, on par with the first one when it comes to action but a little less coherent story.

Kenpachii

Older movie, my big fat greek wedding. Enjoyed it ( comedy focused around girl in a greek family )

Legion also older movie ( group of people in a remote gas station get attacked by underworld and need to survive with a angel trying to defend them. Enjoyable movie

Watchmen 2009 really good movie, but also older. Story about superhero's but more gritty.

The Cloverfield paradox 2018 on netflix, really good scifi movie. They have to make energy in a space station for the earth but then the earth is completely gone suddently.

Kong skull island 2017, really good adventure movie with good acting. Not a fan of king kong movies but this one was great.

Last edited:

joombo

Banned
Finally watched Infinity War. Wow, just wow.
So many moments where I was genuinely amazed, so so good. I don’t know anything about Marvel other than the films so no idea how the comics go, but I’m so excited to see what happens next!9/10 for me

J-Roderton

Saw Baby Driver and Mother over the weekend. One of the two was an exciting adventure with a nice soundtrack, the other was a quite the confusing, depressive affair.

NahaNago

I saw The House With A Clock In Its Walls. I kinda felt like it could almost be a classic. The biggest thing I felt it lacked was memorable music. It was like a family film but of the pg13 variety, creepy (lol), funny, lots of I guess would be satanic imagery was kinda surprising, and over the top characters. The banter between Jack Black and Thor's sister was fun.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Saw a suprisingly good WW2 flick, from Norway, about a certain group of soldiers who had a mission to sabotage nazi operations, was rather intense and well shot. Based loosely on a true story, gorgeus surroundings, and a nasty Nazi Captain (Jonathan Rhys-Meiers):

kunonabi

Saw the meg since I refused to sit through House with a Clock in its walls after Thriller 3D. It's a fairly entertaining shark movie that gets a bit repetitive but you still get your money's worth aside from too many characters living.

Other than that mostly digging through horror movies on Amazon.

SonicSleuth

The new Predator movie is absolutely ridiculously dumb, but I laughed out loud more than a few times. And A Simple Favor is entertaining, but overly long.

I watched Skyscraper and The Meg recently. I enjoyed them both immensely. Hail Mary throwbacks to Summer blockbuster before everything is a god damned comic book story.

mutt765

Den of Thieves was legit good action.
Totally agree, good movie, but I felt like it could have been a little shorter. I think they could have done without the stuff about Gerard Butler's relationship with his wife.

Saw Baby Driver and Mother over the weekend. One of the two was an exciting adventure with a nice soundtrack, the other was a quite the confusing, depressive affair.
Baby Driver is awesome, I've probably watched the first 15 minutes a dozen times since I first saw it a few weeks ago. One of the most fun car chases ever IMHO.

J-Roderton

Baby Driver is awesome, I've probably watched the first 15 minutes a dozen times since I first saw it a few weeks ago. One of the most fun car chases ever IMHO.

It really did have some fantastic driving. Kinda wish that Subaru was in the movie more than it was. But yeah, awesome car chases.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Totally agree, good movie, but I felt like it could have been a little shorter. I think they could have done without the stuff about Gerard Butler's relationship with his wife.

Could probably shave half the movie off

Boss Mog

I saw a cool thriller called "Searching" about a guy searching for his missing daughter by going through her devices and social media accounts. It was really good, some nice twists. It's really original how it's filmed because it's all computer screens and phone screen and when you see the actors it's via webcam, face time, youtube videos, local news website videos. It's a pretty original concept that works better than it sounds and they actually have all the correct OS menus, apps, etc... which makes it more immersive. And if you're in a non english speaking country , all the computer text will be in your language so you can follow the story as if it was about somebody from your country.

Grinchy

Banned
I actually enjoyed Sicario 2. I didn't love the first one, so I had slightly lowered expectations. It was just a really engaging action flick with a very loose story.

TrainedRage

Banned
I watched Skyscraper and The Meg recently. I enjoyed them both immensely. Hail Mary throwbacks to Summer blockbuster before everything is a god damned comic book story.
Was skyscraper worth a rent? How much of it is cheesy vs how much of it is pretty cool? Was the skyscraper the villain?

Fbh

Watched Solo yesterday.

It was... surprisingly ok?
It wasn't amazing or anything but a fun watch. I don't think the dude playing Han really captured the character that well, but it was a decent effort. And the rest of cast was pretty good, even Emilia Clarke wasn't terrible.

Unlike others I don't put Star Wars on such a high pedestal which is why I struggle to understand how episode 7 and 8 turned out so bad.
Like look at Solo and Rogue One. You have a somewhat likeable cast, some cool action scenes and some cool locations and in my book you've already made a good Star Wars movie

How they get it so wrong in the mainline movie I simply don't get

Last edited:
Watched Solo yesterday.

It was... surprisingly ok?
It wasn't amazing or anything but a fun watch. I don't think the dude playing Han really captured the character that well, but it was a decent effort. And the rest of cast was pretty good, even Emilia Clarke wasn't terrible.

Unlike others I don't put Star Wars on such a high pedestal which is why I struggle to understand how episode 7 and 8 turned out so bad.
Like look at Solo and Rogue One. You have a somewhat likeable cast, some cool action scenes and some cool locations and in my book you've already made a good Star Wars movie

How they get it so wrong in the mainline movie I simply don't get
I recently seen it and enjoyed it.

Renoir

Nice thread. Ever since I cut the cord, I really dont see any movie trailer. Of course the big name movies are every where "Avengers" "Mission Impossible". Ima bee able to keep track and watch some of these.

Nowi

Neo Member
Finally got to watch The Meg. It's forgetable, silly, goofy, a terribad adaptation of the novel, and had some wonky visuals...

... But it was fun. Plus Statham's still hot af.

On a more serious note, rewatched 1922 Nosferatu not too long ago. Still amazing and almost hypnotizing.

SonicSleuth

I just watched "The House with the Clock in its Walls". Was curious about what a children's movie directed by Eli Roth would look like... well, this is it. Way too demony for young children despite Jack Black pratfalling and getting full-on pumpkin-faced. I mean, there's a Necronomicon, there's weird shape shifting and murder, a blood pact with a demon, and of course, CGI baby Jack Blak pissing himself. WHAT?

To be fair, I never read the book.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Kin (2018)
Really enjoyed this one, it’s no Blade Runner or Matrix but it can be a fun little franchise something along the lines of Divergent or Hunger Games.

joombo

Banned
Teen Titans Go! the movies.
Went with the kids on a "mini morning" as its peanuts to get in and it was absolutely brilliant. Some good marvel and deadpool jokes with good cameos. So so good, i would recommend anyone to watch it, some really clever jokes for old folk like us.

joombo

Banned
Solo : A Star Wars story
Not too bad actually, I half expected it to be garbage but was surprised it turned out quite enjoyable.

Top Bottom