• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ANyone played Control on PC Gamepass? DOes it lock up and crash for you.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I recently bought a 3080 and one of the games I wanted to play was Control. Since I have it for free on Gamepass, I decided to try playing it on there. It runs great mostly, but it frequently freezes anytime I get to some sort of part where it it saves. Whether it's getting on the elevator or picking up a collectible, it will occasionally lock up. Its happening so often the game is quickly becoming frustrating an unplayable. There are also times when I start the game and it won't respond to to inputs from the keyboard or controller.

Has anyone else had these kind of issues with the game, because I am so frustrated with it.

elliot5

Yes I have a 3060 Ti and played Control idk back in... Feb? and It would crash for me and so I stopped, waiting for a patch. I think 505 said they were looking into itmonths ago but then said they couldn't repro it..? So I may just end up playing it on EGS for free if I get the will to restart from scratch...

For me it would run fine for like 30 min and then crash. I had played for hours just fine but then yeah the intermittent crashing ruined it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes I have a 3060 Ti and played Control idk back in... Feb? and It would crash for me and so I stopped, waiting for a patch. I think 505 said they were looking into itmonths ago but then said they couldn't repro it..? So I may just end up playing it on EGS for free if I get the will to restart from scratch...

For me it would run fine for like 30 min and then crash. I had played for hours just fine but then yeah the intermittent crashing ruined it.
Yeah the issue is readily apparent. It seems to be widespread.

it’s a goddamn shame since I am playing it with DLSS/RTX and am getting monster good gameplay with my new 3080. Ultra smooth framerate and visually very pleasing. Some have said that turning off all the FX will put a stop to it, but what’s the point?

I had similar issues with a Control on GamePass, ended up just picking up the Ultimate Edition on steam for a decent price. Same thing happened with Wolfenstein: Youngblood as that ran like ass, so I assumed a botched RT implementation until I got a cheap steam key and it runs like silk there. Most games are fine but some run a lot worse through the Windows store than versions available elsewhere.

Buggy Loop

Yeah the issue is readily apparent. It seems to be widespread.

it’s a goddamn shame since I am playing it with DLSS/RTX and am getting monster good gameplay with my new 3080. Ultra smooth framerate and visually very pleasing. Some have said that turning off all the FX will put a stop to it, but what’s the point?

Strange, I played the whole game earlier in the summer on gamepass with a 3060 with RT and DLSS, never crashed.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I didn't played this on game pass but still I never been able to finish the second dlc because the game keeps crashing wathever I try to do.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am wondering if it is one of those weird games that needs to be installed on the main OS drive. Assassins Creed Origins would not load unless the game was installed on the main OS.

I may uninstall the game and reinstall it on my main OS drive and see if by chance that could help. My main drive is a Samsung M.2 X4, while my main games drive is a Gen 3 Sabrent.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There was a reddit thread that suggested you run the game in Windows 7 compatability mode. I tried that. Didn't do jack.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well...I had some success. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it on my main OS SSD and I also switched from Fullscreen to Borderless Window and I got through my session yesterday with no crashes. I hope that is the end.

I still had to run the game as an Administrator to get to the main menu though. Very odd bug.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Strange, I played the whole game earlier in the summer on gamepass with a 3060 with RT and DLSS, never crashed.
Would you mind sharing your specs. Do you use any anti-virus software? ANything like that,

The game seemed to be working, but now it's now locked at the start screen and I can't even fucking start the game.

This game is dedicated to being broken and its pissing me off.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I didn't get crashes but texture streaming issues... it was not my PC clearly since they were too random and suddenly had no issue for a moment till I did again, other people were having the same issue and just recommended to play the Steam version, so I didn't go beyond first section of the game before quiting

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
yes im unable to run the game

it simply refuses to launch

i gave up and uninstalled it
DId it get stuck at the main screen, where it says Press A (or Enter) to start ? If so, the solution that works 90% of the time is to run the game as an administrator. Do that by running the game from taskbar by pressing right click, select More and then Run as Administrator. 90% of the time it will get you into the game.

yamaci17

DId it get stuck at the main screen, where it says Press A (or Enter) to start ? If so, the solution that works 90% of the time is to run the game as an administrator. Do that by running the game from taskbar by pressing right click, select More and then Run as Administrator. 90% of the time it will get you into the game.

i will give it a try again, but in my case it refused to launch at all , i didn't see any screens sadly :(

elliot5

I started this up on a whim to test auto HDR and didn't have any crashes the entire time. Was pleasantly surprised

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Sorry to bump an old thread but I did fire it up on Game Pass PC to compare it to PS5, and it never crashed for me, no. I only played it a good two hours on PC though.

Vognerful

I just wanted to say that I also play it on PC game pass and the experience is flawless. I actually enjoy it more than my XSX due to DLSS.

I hope things turn better for you.

Top Bottom