• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any other PC gamers already set on buying the next generation of CPUs/GPUs that are around the corner?

hinch7

My PC's been killing it so far for 1440P - 5800X3D + 4070Ti. But going all in for the 5080 or AMD's equivelant.

Going to make the move to 4K OLED next generation so will need some more oomph to get there.

Last edited:

yansolo

i'll probably upgrade next year, my pc's a bit old now 8700k+2070, but surprisingly i can still run everything pretty good, DLSS helps a lot and I don't mind running some of the more demanding games at 1080p

I'll buy a new gpu. I had a 7800x3d + 4090 combo and I recently sold my 4090 to prepare for the 5000 series. I used my 4090 for a while and only sold it for a $100 loss. The truth of the matter is that there are only 2 pc games which justify a 4090 and one of them is boring af(AW2). Once I played them, I sold the gpu and went back to consoles. All in all, I rented the 4090 for $100 this generation. I'm not even sure if I'll get the 5090 as there are no games on the horizon worth buying a $2000 gpu for... Then again, no matter how much money you have, spending $2000 on a gpu to play games is high key idiotic. I mean if $2000 to you is what $20 is to regular people, I guess it's fine. However regular people spending that much money is just stupid.

Last edited:

lachesis

Probably not immediately. 7800x3d, 4080 Super, 64GB RAM. If I do, I will move my current setup to living room and use it solely for gaming. 7800x3d is great, but not the best of best for working, so I may upgrade to 9950x, and maybe mid-upper class GPU for my workstation.

Last edited:
I intend to pick up an RTX 5090 and Ryzen 9800X3D as soon as they come out, and have about $700 put aside right now in anticipation. I'm currently rocking an RTX 4090 and Ryzen 7700X, so I should be able to get a nice chunk of change selling those to put towards this upgrade as well.

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Can't wait for the new hardware to arrive. Should be great with games like Marvel 1943, GTA VI, Wukong, Fable, and all these other "true" next-gen experience that look to be finally arriving over the next 12-24 months.
I'm excited for all the upcoming next gen hardware: Intel Battlemage B770, Nvidia Blackwell 5090, AMD RDNA4 8700XT GPUs. Even more so excited for the next gen CPUs: Intel Arrow Lake in particular will be a true successor to Alder and Raptor lake finally, Lunar Lake for power efficiency on mobile and Zen 5 X3Ds should be awesome.

I really want to see what Intel can do on 20A and 18A since 2017 Intel has been fighting AMD on an outdated fabrication node they spent ages on 14nm and then ages on 10nm (now renamed to 7N) to this day their new CPUs including the 14900k are all on 10nm. Their 18A and 14A stuff should be amazing comparably which will really screw AMDs node advantage.

Soodanim

I'm about due for a new build, and I was going to try to jump in before the ER DLC but with the new AMD CPUs I wonder if it's worth waiting.

It won't be a top end build, not at the ridiculous prices for GPUs. But the sequel to the 7800X3D would likely be a worthless investment.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am hoping I can sit this one out. My 4090 is good enough. I need a new TV before needing to worry about GPU. I also hate the stress of buying a launch GPU. I basically spend forever in front of a screen waiting for drops then feeling like shit when I fail to win one.

gothmog

Gold Member
I went gaming laptop last refresh due to the GPU shortages a few years ago, so I'm ready. I enjoyed having the laptop, but at my age I need a huge screen for eye comfort.

StereoVsn

I am fine with the 7800x3d since I really want 4K even if through DLSS, and I don’t think 9800x3d or whatnot will make a difference there.

I am planning to get a 5080 to replace my 3080Ti, or maybe even 5090 if Nvidia doesn’t jack up the price… who am I kidding, of course they will jack up the price. 😅

Jigsaah

Gold Member
if can sell my 4090 for a good price i'll be getting the 5090. Also want the 9xxx3d whatever the equivalent ends up being. I may stick with the 4090 and just get the CPU though because I would have to upgrade the motherboard and RAM as well. Money towards the GPU could be instead used for a new case, some good watercooling and a 2nd 4k monitor. We'll see.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I am hoping I can sit this one out. My 4090 is good enough. I need a new TV before needing to worry about GPU. I also hate the stress of buying a launch GPU. I basically spend forever in front of a screen waiting for drops then feeling like shit when I fail to win one.

I’ve never bought a new GPU at launch. Is it really that bad? I’ve purchased plenty of consoles at launch so I know the struggle there.

Buggy Loop

Will depend on what games are there around launch that would even stress a rig like that. I don't feel there's anything on horizon for 1440p that is really a problem even with a 3080 Ti. As high performances as it could be? No. But really like "I NEED to upgrade!" ? I don't see that game yet.

Mithos

Have not even picked up the gen after what I have.
R7 3800X -> 5x00
RTX 2060S -> 30x0

The idea of picking up/buying "Next" gen cpu/gpu from what currently is the newest, have not even entered the equation yet.

Most people upgrade their PCs frequently, however I'm not a fan of incremental upgrades. I always upgrade my PC when the old one can no longer run games at a reasonable fps and quality (medium or console like settings). I like the excitement of finally being able to run the latest games at much better PC, it's like buying a new generation console and being blown away by the new level of graphics fidelity and framerate.

I have upgraded my first PC (Celeron 500MHz + TNT2 M64) after 3 years to AMD Duron 1200MHz + Geforce 3ti200 and the difference was staggering. In Quake 3 my fps went from 5-7fps at 1600x1200x32 to around 90fps :p. Geforce 3 also had new DX8 graphics features (shaders), so I was blown away when I saw water rendering in 3Dmark2001, or dynamic shadows in Splinter Cell 1.

My 2'nd upgrade was also extremely impressive. I bought Q6600 + 8800Ultra. This PC could run pretty much any game at 1680x1050x32 at well over 60fps, so I started to appreciate the 60fps experience (before I thought 30fpa was more than enough :p). Of course, games like Crysis 1 soon wrecked my PC (25-35fps on max settings), but I was still blown away by that game because Crysis 1 graphics took graphics fidelity to a whole new level.

I started playing on consoles in 2003. I was in love with the classic Xbox and PS2 consoles, so I wasnt playing on the PC platform that much.

In 2007 I however returned to PC gaming. My 3rd upgrade was 3770K + GTX680. The fps difference was massive and the DX11 features (especially in Crysis 2 with Maldo HD mod) were great. Unfortunatelly soon my GTX680 become VRAM limited :(. I had to upgrade my GPU to GTX1080 and I'm use it to this day.

I never thought I would use the same CPU for over 10 years, but 3770K could run games at over 60fps for many years. IMO the 3770K was the best CPU I ever bought. The GTX1080 also lasted me a very long time but maybe because it was overpowered at launch and it also had a lot of VRAM.

In 2023 I have started noticing that more and more games push my 3770K to something like 35-40fps, and not to mention my CPU wasnt even supported jn some games like TLOU therefore I finally decided to upgrade my ancient PC and I cant wait to see how much difference 7800x3D and 4070ti Super (maybe even 4080 Super) will make. I know the RTX50x0 series is coming out in Q4, but I don't want to wait that long to upgrade.

Last edited:

captainpat

Yep, I've been upgrading every gen since the 10 series by selling my old gpu/cpu to cover some of the cost the next gen parts.

That being said I'm not actually very excited to upgrade this time around. There doesn't seem to be that many games coming out now or even in the next year that seem like they would need a 5090, even less that I want to play. I'm mostly just doing this to get the most resell value out of my 4090/5800x3d.

I am not buying a 5090 just for Cyberpunk and GTA6 (who knows how often that will get delayed.). AAA is in a crisis and so there are just no games that would really require that card. At least for me.

Top Bottom