• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here play ESO?

Kagey K

Banned
So I've owned this game since it came out, and played it on and off at launch, but with the release of High Isles I decided to really sink my teeth into it.

Started a new character and have him around level 32, and first I have to say goddammit there is a ton of content in this game.

I've been playing it hard for about a week, and I've just barely scratched the surface of 1 of the 3 main alliances in the base game.

I really enjoy how they have the trinity (dps, tank, healer) but give you the freedom to build your guy as you see fit so you can make hybrid classes. Too many mmos make you stick straight to one role.

I also like that it's very easily played as a solo game or a group game depending on how you feel.

I've mostly soloed the content I've gone through, but grouped up with randoms in certain spots because they were doing the same stuff I was.

The flexibility in the game should be copied more in other MMO.

So far I haven't run into any grind spots or gear checks and it's been just chill running from quest to quest. I imagine that will change at endgame, but so far I'm really enjoying the experience.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i played about 40 hours of it. last time i played was when the morrowind expansion/chapter came out so that'd be about 5 years ago :messenger_fearful:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I played it quite a bit a few years back with a group of friends. Eventually my dislike of the combat made me quit. Loved most of the game otherwise, but as with all MMOs, I get bored and quit them usually before hitting max level or endgame content.

Nico_D

I was deciding whether to start ESO or FF XIV. Went with FF. But what I played of ESO (30 mins), it looked good and I will very likely be returning to it later.

Kagey K

Banned
I played it quite a bit a few years back with a group of friends. Eventually my dislike of the combat made me quit. Loved most of the game otherwise, but as with all MMOs, I get bored and quit them usually before hitting max level or endgame content.
That was the reason I quit back in the day. When we realized endgame was PvP in Cyrodill.

Seems a lot has changed since then. Veteran dungeons and 12 man raids are apparently the endgame now.

Kagey K

Banned
I was deciding whether to start ESO or FF XIV. Went with FF. But what I played of ESO (30 mins), it looked good and I will very likely be returning to it later.
There is a lot of content to get through. It will likely last 1000s of hours whenever you decide to get around to it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm thinking of going back to XIV. that was the first mmorpg i played.

I play on and off. The rpg grind isn’t my thing but the exploration and questing so is fun enough I revisit every so often for my Elder scrolls fix.

Kagey K

Banned
i'm thinking of going back to XIV. that was the first mmorpg i played.
I played a bit of WoW and a bit of FF11 and then kind of bounced off MMOs.

Everytime a new one comes out I give it a go, but the kill 10 enemies here, collect 5 of this bugs me.

There's still some of that in ESO, but it's not as blatant as other games. The fact that it's fully voiced helps too, even if I don't listen to it all

Kagey K

Banned
I play on and off. The rpg grind isn’t my thing but the exploration and questing so is fun enough I revisit every so often for my Elder scrolls fix.
That's what I was doing but everytime I logged in my skills were all reset and I couldn't remember shit for my build so I'd bounce off it.

It's been much better this time since I started from scratch and learned (and remember) all the shit I forgot from back when.

Kagey K

Banned
The combat makes me sad. I keep trying then bounce fairly quickly due to combat slog
It's an eso game. You kind of know what to expect. Plus I've seen a ton of stuff where the combat depends on the player.

With the same skills I've seen one person do 20k damage vs another doing 200k.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Eso is the most overrated game, and I suspect it is because it has no real competition on consoles (except ff on ps), and it has the name elder scrolls.

The world is actually really cool, the graphic is "OK", but the combat is so bad. Floating combat. Unresponsive combat, the devs incompetence where they can't fix the cancellation issue so it became a feature, classes where 90 percent of abilities are shared and only 3 unique class trees per character.

I don't know why they rolled with classes since es games doesn't have that. Probably balance issues. It's just so boring using the same staff damage on all classes.

If this name wasn't called elder scrolls then this game would have vanished years ago.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
i can't remember my account details so need to buy it again :messenger_unamused: also i can't be arsed with a monthly sub. i wonder how much i can play on the free trial.
You can play the entirety of the core game and the Heavensward expansion including that expansion’s patch content. You just can’t begin the Stormblood, Shadowbringers, or Endwalker expansion content. It’s a very extensive free trial.

Kagey K

Banned
Eso is the most overrated game, and I suspect it is because it has no real competition on consoles (except ff on ps), and it has the name elder scrolls.

The world is actually really cool, the graphic is "OK", but the combat is so bad. Floating combat. Unresponsive combat, the devs incompetence where they can't fix the cancellation issue so it became a feature, classes where 90 percent of abilities are shared and only 3 unique class trees per character.

I don't know why they rolled with classes since es games doesn't have that. Probably balance issues. It's just so boring using the same staff damage on all classes.

If this name wasn't called elder scrolls then this game would have vanished years ago.
There are a ton of console MMOs, I don't know where you get it has no competition.

Regardless even on PC it has kept a large following, so it had to be more than name alone.

I play on Xbox and pc sometimes. I like it but too many other good games to play to sink much time into it.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I play on Xbox and ox sometimes. I like it but too many other good games to play to sink much time into it.
It is a very substantial timesink if you decide to get into it. I can see that influencing some players.

Even with the Base game + Morrowind, which is free now. That is hundreds of hours.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
There are a ton of console MMOs, I don't know where you get it has no competition.

Regardless even on PC it has kept a large following, so it had to be more than name alone.
Because those other mmo games doesn't have a healthy userbase.

Which good mmos are out on console? Bless unleashed?

And no, it is the name alone, which is the point despite being popular on pc.

Wow is also considered a mediocre mmorpg today, but many people are still playing it because they wasted much time in it, and don't really care about other games.

Theres probably also many eso gamers that came from ES to eso and prefer that over other mmos, because its like their favorite SP games, and it's the only mmo they care about because of that.

It helps a lot that the name is elder scrolls. It's a name everyone knows and why many people even knows about it.

But as I said, everything except the combat is good. People who have tried any decent mmorpg out there dumps this game because of the bad combat.

Try Google "eso has bad combat", and you'll find thousands of threads about this issue.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

bf3ca0aa6807849be9ccfd3cb630f0b0.png

Great game, lots of fun content. Easy to do raiding etc and solo playing is also great.

Played it with a few buddy's and we had a blast. Must say lots of system should be copied from the mmo, its great. It did had its short comings tho. I still prefer guild wars 2 as mmo in general. And that comes from somebody that played 1000's of hours in tons of mmo's.

Digfox

Did play this a lot between 2017 and 2021. Amassed 800 hours or so across all characters. My favourite character was my StamsOrc which was so much fun to play, although the MagSorc was more OP for solo PVE. I was circa CP610 under the old CP810 system.

I loved my time with it and probably my favourite MMO of all time as it does some unique things that aren't done elsewhere. I'm a very much a 'loner' in MMO's so I often have a great time levelling but then miss out on most of the content as a group focussed endgame kicks in. TESO has a viable solo endgame ands lots of solo content with the CP system meaning anything you do will keep levelling you even after you achieve max-level on a character. I also loved the sandbox elements, the progression in-game meaning there is always something to work towards and the organic grouping of players which is second to none. Even as a anti-social player there was always events and things going on with other players. I think progression, questing, solo play and organic grouping are the things TESO does better than any other MMO.

I also really enjoyed the PVP(VE) in the game too and due to the ticket collecting would spend hours in Cyrodill or the Imperial City/Sewers. I think one of my best (/worse) memories in the sewers was as a newish player trying to out run a enemy group (as my StamsOrc above so I was fast) and successfully evading the group by entering the one of the sewers entrances only to be in a room with a massive group of EP players in front of me. To say I didn't last long is an understatement and quickly learnt how the entrances worked! But fair play to the game to reel me into PVP which meant it was doing something right.

Certainly not perfect although the criticisms of its combat often (not all the time) comes from people who haven't played endgame where selection of the right skills/ult, weapon swaps/combos, animation cancelling and gear sets become vital. And as you spend so long levelling all the different skill lines that the combat doesn't truly open up until after achieving max level. I also love that you have to choose which skills to carry on your very limited skillbar. It reminds me of Guild Wars 1 in that way. But I didn't like the overly aggressive monetisation; all the best looking gear was in the lootboxes, the in-game cash shop, subscription, DLC, pre-order bonuses, different versions etc. Which all weakened the game in my view. Performance on PC EU was also bad when the events were on and the regular global maintenance really only respected the PC NA player's time-zone.

I only stopped playing because I was so invested in the event tickets (for those silly Indrik mounts) that I realised I was just too invested into the game and like many GaaS games was limiting my precious free time to enjoy other games on my backlog. So I quit, uninstalled and moved on. Haven't bought the last two Expansions (sorry, Chapters). So maybe a rough diamond, but one I loved playing. Nice to read the Op having a good time with the game.

Top Bottom