• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else think the "bucktooth" grilles on recent BMWs look shite?

What SAY you?

• Hot stuff, like it.

• God awful.

• Potato!

Results are only viewable after voting.

MachRc

He has to defend the decision, and they've clearly drafted crisis comms messaging. But behind closed doors, deny til ya die Ari Gold style, they know they fucked up.
^^ hopefully they fix it in the LCI

As a BMW forum moderator, seriously I have a 72 page thread in my forum about this topic on the new 4 series, Ive/we've beaten it to death.
And have a few member who defend it. Its slightly growing on me on the m4 due to the dark less shiny horizontal slats and only in dark colors.

The giant grill works okay on the bigger cars. I dont HATE it on the X or even the new XM. It fits the bigger cars well and I think on the IX, they have worked around the grill so it doesn't look slapped on
But to then surround the damn thing with giant LED light strips.....its tacky as hell, like the MB led emblems.

My bmws consist of
2003 supercharged E46 m3, Ive also had a another E46 supercharged 330ci(below) , 2003 X5 4.4, 2007 e92, 2016 f34( yes the gt), 2009 e89 , 2001 z3 m coupe, e30 325is(w s52), another e30 325
KXCoDrN.jpg

pAvkbTr.jpg

DEZMStB.jpg

F8ppwAx.jpg

nUeu6Zv.jpg

HRrxa0S.jpg

I could go on and on...to show you my BMW steez.

Show me your god damn BMWS RIGHT NOW!

Ownage

^^ hopefully they fix it in the LCI

As a BMW forum moderator, seriously I have a 72 page thread in my forum about this topic on the new 4 series, Ive/we've beaten it to death.
And have a few member who defend it. Its slightly growing on me on the m4 due to the dark less shiny horizontal slats and only in dark colors.

The giant grill works okay on the bigger cars. I dont HATE it on the X or even the new XM. It fits the bigger cars well and I think on the IX, they have worked around the grill so it doesn't look slapped on
But to then surround the damn thing with giant LED light strips.....its tacky as hell, like the MB led emblems.

My bmws consist of
2003 supercharged E46 m3, Ive also had a another E46 supercharged 330ci(below) , 2003 X5 4.4, 2007 e92, 2016 f34( yes the gt), 2009 e89 , 2001 z3 m coupe, e30 325is(w s52), another e30 325
KXCoDrN.jpg

pAvkbTr.jpg

DEZMStB.jpg

F8ppwAx.jpg

nUeu6Zv.jpg

HRrxa0S.jpg

I could go on and on...to show you my BMW steez.

Show me your god damn BMWS RIGHT NOW!

E46 M3 vert with hard top
E36/7 Z3 roadster - the best one of all
E93 335is vert
E39 M5
F15 X5 - a riot with a Dinan ECU upgrade

...and then the Benz fleet.

MachRc

E46 M3 vert with hard top
E36/7 Z3 roadster - the best one of all
E93 335is vert
E39 M5
F15 X5 - a riot with a Dinan ECU upgrade

...and then the Benz fleet.
Sweet! People swear by those e39 m5s as keepers.

I forgot to list the e86 2007 z4 coupe. And called the z3 m roadster w a hardtop, a coupe!
More plug
nlnKSG8.jpg

Almost 100 people.
Il2TjpD.jpg

Looks like BMW was close to that 20 percent thing.

Rival

Gold Member
I recognize that bmw makes really good cars but I’ve always kind of hated the looks of most of them. For the money it’s always seemed like there’s better options. The M versions are usually pretty sweet though.

Tschumi

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F6142b2f8ffa10fc6a1652695%2F0x0.jpg

FOR GOD SAKE SOMEONE PLEASE REATTACH THIS PERSON'S JAW SHOW SOME HUMANITY

The sequel:

2022-tundra-nerd.jpg

JESUS SOMEBODY SAVE THAT POOR WOMAN SHE'S BEING EATEN ALIVE

... but maybe it's okay because she'll just fall out of the thing's jawless mouth...

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
It looks like ass.

However, I believe the true measure of a car’s beauty (or lack thereof) only comes after it’s been around for a while.

Often the most immediately striking designs end up looking mediocre and outdated in a few years.

A wise man reserves his judgment until the last prudent moment.

Last edited:

Tschumi

It looks like ass.

However, I believe the true measure of a car’s beauty (or lack thereof) only comes after it’s been around for a while.

Often the most immediately striking designs end up looking mediocre and outdated in a few years.

A wise man reserves his judgment until the last prudent moment.
i was walking around my neighborhood just now and like a string of cars all had this cleft grille, a sporty little toyota, a merc suv, and like that old van from a few years with the huge, huge grille... i burst out laughing.. what the fuck suddenly happened to the car industry :p

yes okay time will tell..

Ownage

What would you guys say: BMW experiments vs Audi save & clean design strategy?
DGnzizT.png
Both look like shit. These and other auto brands are attempting to appeal to the largest auto market in the world. It isn't the U.S. Never forget that just because you may have money you have or can acquire good taste (or even reasonable).

Last edited:

MachRc

check out the new Audi Concept and its design. [time stamped]

unlike some of the homage and recent concepts from bmw

The audi is Automatic between your legs boner inducing.
bvrMKBI.gif

TransTrender

Gold Member
Own a 2017 M2 and the fucking face on these new ones is absolutely horrid. Will not be buying another BMW if this shit sticks around.
Somehow worse than the Beak (Acura).
Somehow worse than Predator Mouth (Lexus).
Somehow worse than Truck Face (Chevy/Toyota).
As for Audi, when your design language is Boring Bland Generic then yeah, they don't look bad, they look absolutely forgettable.

It's a war of escalation. Every time someone else makes a bigger grille, the other guy has to top that. Except the electric/hybrids, for those they just fill the giant grille in with some kind of pattern.

These BMWs look like someone saw an Edsel and thought one toilet seats wasn't enough on the front of a car.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Just terrible. Everything about the new 2/3/4 series look great on the outside.......................until you see those grills. Yuck.

highrider

Banned
Ahh so people are pretending BMW has made decent cars after 1990 for the US market.. Sorry it took me a while to catch on 😂

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Have BMW sales dropped off a cliff? Maybe they were hit particularly hard with the rise in SUV popularity and the drop off of car sales?

I remember seeing them everywhere as a kid. Today, it feels like I can go months without seeing one.

Top Bottom