• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else think the "bucktooth" grilles on recent BMWs look shite?

What SAY you?

• Hot stuff, like it.

• God awful.

• Potato!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tschumi

images

images

I love BMWs, my dream car is a black '89 convertible e30, google tells me, I love their motorsports cars and general feeling of implicit excellence.

But this is fucking awful, imo. Hopeless. A real stinker.

I'm not trying to be insensitive to anyone who suffers from the condition, but this shit makes the cars look like they have a cleft palette.

Booo.

What Say You Season 6 GIF by The Office

Raphael

And this is coming right after some wonderful cars which makes it even worse. The 2020 lineup is going to hold its value well lol.

Last edited:

TylerD

Big BMW fan. Currently own a 06 330ci 6MT with ZHP package since 2012 and a 17 X3 xDrive 35i. God their inline 6s are good.

I went with potato! They are taking it too far but It's not terrible when there is a distinct break between the kidneys. When they morph together into a blob in the concept vehicles it doesn't work. What are ugly as shit are the asses of the x4 and x6. The coupe styling and taillights don't work on those AT ALL imo. I think the G20 3 series looks too Lexus like in the taillights. I think older more classic BMW designed cars will carry a premium moving forward. I know my e46 is rising in value quickly.

The production iX isn't that bad IMO. I've watched a lot of reviews and am starting to dig it. The interior design is really neat. Potentially, a future electric BMW could be the most reliable BMW you could buy...

BMW-iX-feature-image-e1632777498117-800x497.jpg

Tschumi

Big BMW fan. Currently own a 06 330ci 6MT with ZHP package since 2012 and a 17 X3 xDrive 35i. God their inline 6s are good.

I went with potato! They are taking it too far but It's not terrible when there is a distinct break between the kidneys. When they morph together into a blob in the concept vehicles it doesn't work. What are ugly as shit are the asses of the x4 and x6. The coupe styling and taillights don't work on those AT ALL imo. I think the G20 3 series looks too Lexus like in the taillights. I think older more classic BMW designed cars will carry a premium moving forward. I know my e46 is rising in value quickly.

The production iX isn't that bad IMO. I've watched a lot of reviews and am starting to dig it. The interior design is really neat. Potentially, a future electric BMW could be the most reliable BMW you could buy...

i just wish it didn't look like it was wearing a kinky nose-hook!

Thank you for your thoughtful input! Super appreciated.

I personally think BMW should not have fucked with the shape of their headlights, and yeah these grills are too far... I think they should have paused their whole front-end here:

1999-bmw-328i-photo-5959-s-original.jpg

...this also okay:

HB_La6yCCDUScTEG4_BuOZumriOqLfNnBj8dSwv_SL89YMHkdZFZS2aMdRgJXBZvw7o0nRFYRIHVPL4Zl4xAnoWqpCDES8vHFOur2oYAarC7HJmlxmlMGUduIWLHdsCM1jpGBjKWg_x9nFJ32mUGcVAC8gkOeFNpMN4IuG8Sg8WGKyV3GVpOBLLRLas

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

The interior for the ix is very nice, but it's nothing like the Sci-fi interior of the Mercedes EQS. Other car manufacturers need to catch up to this level.

ahawkins_20210404_4511_0035.jpg

HoodWinked

That looks awful. But something about how ugly it is for some reason I can picture those rich Saudi princes driving them. It has a gaudy appealing quality to it.

Ellery

When I first saw them I thought so too, but now that I have seen some out in the wild (I think M4s and M3s) I am starting to like them a lot.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
OP and first post are posting concept cars or fake photoshops lol. Post 11 also. Oh man, Internet and fake news...

The cars look great. iX's interior shits on everything (including EQS) from great hight.

Here is how they actually look:
f4aa57434-bildschirmfoto-2021-11-17.png

Last edited:

Tschumi

Yeah okay :/
i'm not trying to troll but that red thing on the left looks equally fugly for precisely the same reasons, and the one on the right would too if BMW hadn't wisely positioned a woman in a loud pink skirt right in front of the offending features

it reminds me of horror films where people's faces get eaten away by zombie viruses

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

i'm not trying to troll but that red thing on the left looks equally fugly for precisely the same reasons, and the one on the right would too if BMW hadn't wisely positioned a woman in a loud pink skirt right in front of the offending features

it reminds me of horror films where people's faces get eaten away by zombie viruses
I have seen booth in person, and I love the design. Its expressive and therefore not to everyones taste. X5s or other SUVs look "last gen" next to it.

Same with the M3/M4, people hated on the design like there is no tomorrow, but man these things are brutal and awesome irl. They will sell better than any M3/M4 before, would actually bet on that.

Tschumi

I have seen booth in person, and I love the design. Its expressive and therefore not to everyones taste. X5s or other SUVs look "last gen" next to it.

Same with the M3/M4, people hated on the design like there is no tomorrow, but man these things are brutal and awesome irl. They will sell better than any M3/M4 before, would actually bet on that.
And which emirate are you a prince of? :p jk... Different strokes

20cent

Banned
I think sales reflects how ugly everyone think it is. Here (Hong Kong) where streets are instantly filled with latest hot "luxury" or German cars, I could only see one since it has been launched. I see multiple Taycan on daily basis though.

sankt-Antonio

And which emirate are you a prince of? :p jk... Different strokes
I live in Munich, they drive around / are parked everywhere around here. They are developed here so lots of prototypes, pre productions cars around.

I think sales reflects how ugly everyone think it is. Here (Hong Kong) where streets are instantly filled with latest hot "luxury" or German cars, I could only see one since it has been launched. I see multiple Taycan on daily basis thoughI think the first i4
The first i4's for customers have been shipped like a month ago? Don't even know if the iX production stared.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
I live in Munich, they drive around / are parked everywhere around here. They are developed here so lots of prototypes, pre productions cars around.

The first i4's for customers have been shipped like a month ago? Don't even know if the iX production stared.
I meant BMWs that adopted this new design direction, like the latest 3/4 series (and 7?). Only spotted one single M4 with that grille this year.

Edit: not the 7, they do have a giant grille but not the bucktooth type

Last edited:

lem0n

Yes. God yes. The new company nose is god-awful. This is what happens when a brand tries to apply a design language from a competing brand(Audi) and fails. They're still selling cars so maybe fail is the wrong word but they are alienating their core fan base who loved their cars for their svelte, understated good looks. I've had 10 BMWs over the years, and would love another. But it won't be a new one.

chromhound

Yes. God yes. The new company nose is god-awful. This is what happens when a brand tries to apply a design language from a competing brand(Audi) and fails. They're still selling cars so maybe fail is the wrong word but they are alienating their core fan base who loved their cars for their svelte, understated good looks. I've had 10 BMWs over the years, and would love another. But it won't be a new one.
they are doing it because that's what China like

Loope

A guy from work bought one.It's just awful on the exterior, holly crap. The "grill" looks like someone painted on their garage on their own free time. Serious.

sankt-Antonio

We in the BMW community do not like the new grill.

Domagoj Dukec said, “You can see that on something as polarising like the kidneys on the 4 Series, 20 per cent of people are liking it.

1 in 5
The 20% that's actually going to buy the car, read the whole article.

I meant BMWs that adopted this new design direction, like the latest 3/4 series (and 7?). Only spotted one single M4 with that grille this year.

Edit: not the 7, they do have a giant grille but not the bucktooth type

Fist 6 months of 2021 have been the best in M GmbH's history, they seems to be doing just fine.

they will announce it soon *snip*
Did just today, lol. And as you can see the garbage photoshop is quite different to the teaser image.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

no you read the article.

I quoted the damn line for you
“You can see that on something as polarising like the kidneys on the 4 Series, 20 per cent of people are liking it."

The grills are getting SO big, that headlights are now integrated INTO them

2o318dh.jpg
“You can create something beautiful, and we also have cars which are just pretty. But there are some customers that, if you want to reach them, you have to stand out. You have to create something that is not in-line; maybe not like an everyday car or an everyday product, but that’s exactly the reason.”

The company reckons 70 per cent of its buyers are what they call ‘elegant creators’ (yeah, we know): business persons of success, who want the best but don’t want to shout about it. Think BMW heartland stuff - 3, 5 and 7 Series. The remaining 30 per cent is made up of ‘expressive performers’ (really, we know); a group of buyers who are very ‘self confident’.

“You can see that on something as polarising like the kidneys on the 4 Series, 20 per cent of people are liking it. That fits to the type of customers we are targeting."

You can't just single out a line of text without context. So read the article and his explanation.

Last edited:

MachRc

lol bolded everything except the part where he says, 20 per cent of people are liking it[period[.
those you bolded has no context of and on different paragraphs.

You must be the 20 percent . The 1 in 5
Or just bought the G22

sankt-Antonio

lol bolded everything except the part where he says, 20 per cent of people are liking it[period[.
those you bolded has no context of and on different paragraphs.

You must be the 20 percent . The 1 in 5
Or just bought the G22
You don't get it lol.

MachRc

I do its ugly.

BMW is nice and nonchalant about all the criticism, but in the meantime the brand defends itself very emphatically. “The lady doth protest too much, methinks“Just to quote that famous sentence from Hamlet. BMW even tried to attack on Twitter, but that did not end well. The statement”Ok Boomer‘did not suit BMW’s target group: baby boomers.

‘About 20 percent thinks the BMW 4-series is beautiful’

The response from design director Domagoj Dukec is also strange. He said to the English Top Gear: “We are not there to please everyone. […] You see that with polarizing elements such as the kidneys on the 4-series. About 20 percent of people think they are beautiful. And those are precisely the customers that we focus on. “Uh … okay. So BMW doesn’t mind if 80 percent switch to Audi or Mercedes?

“How can people be so shallow?”​

And that 80 percent is also completely wrong, according to Dukec. “How can people be so superficial that they are [een ontwerp] Judging by one detail? “he said to Esquire.” Good design has nothing to do with beautiful or ugly. Those things are subjective. […] You will never design something that 100 percent of people like. “

‘You shouldn’t listen to social media’​

“You shouldn’t listen to reactions on social media,” he told Autocar in June last year. “That doesn’t help you. Design is an emotional thing. Everyone has his or her opinion and taste. There is no good or bad in design. […] We don’t want to be polarizing with every product, but the 4 Series is a very expressive model. I am confident he will be seen as a car with a strong identity in two or three years’ time. “

BMW is sorry about your opinion!

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

I do its ugly.
It simple is not designed to please you. Intentionally. Wrap your head around that.

I like that approach a lot more than doing save designs over and over again. Looking at you Audi. But Im the kind of person who would buy an M3 given I had the funds.

Ownage

We in the BMW community do not like the new grill.

Domagoj Dukec said, “You can see that on something as polarising like the kidneys on the 4 Series, 20 per cent of people are liking it.

1 in 5
He has to defend the decision, and they've clearly drafted crisis comms messaging. But behind closed doors, deny til ya die Ari Gold style, they know they fucked up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom