• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else think the "bucktooth" grilles on recent BMWs look shite?

What SAY you?

• Hot stuff, like it.

• God awful.

• Potato!

Results are only viewable after voting.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
That new 7 is all about the right options. The sport kit looks hot as hell imo:
Bildschirmfoto-2022-05-18-um-14-12-27.png

a9de76657-bildschirmfoto-2022-05-18.png

And the midlands at BMW made the XM look just like the concept, crazy.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
The new grill design is a travesty.

Whilst the M3 looks fairly menacing, I think the previous grill design is much better.

Unfortunately the grills seem to be getting worse and worse by the minute.

Yoda

For EVs, large grills really don't make sense. ICE cars used the location due to being the closest spot to good air flow for a radiator. That isn't a thing for EVs and being aerodynamic adds a non-trivial amount of range to an EV. Giant buck teeth on front the of the car isn't aerodynamic.

Pakoe

Gold Member
I also dislike them moving past LED designs so fast.

BMW-M3-CS-Front-Right-e1536656852769-scaled.jpg

These looks fucking sick.
BMW-M3-Berline-G80-2020.jpg

Not bad, but still prefer the old ones.

bmw_m5_xdrive_05.jpg

Hot.
bmw-m5-competition-facelift-2020-3-scaled-e1592377935270.jpg

Boring.

2017-bmw-7-series-01-placement-1525961624.jpg

Cool, definitely a BMW.
6tjyx5vb6uwr.jpg

What the fuck is this?

I also dislike them moving past LED designs so fast.

BMW-M3-CS-Front-Right-e1536656852769-scaled.jpg

These looks fucking sick.
BMW-M3-Berline-G80-2020.jpg

Not bad, but still prefer the old ones.

bmw_m5_xdrive_05.jpg

Hot.
bmw-m5-competition-facelift-2020-3-scaled-e1592377935270.jpg

Boring.

2017-bmw-7-series-01-placement-1525961624.jpg

Cool, definitely a BMW.
6tjyx5vb6uwr.jpg

What the fuck is this?
It's called reinventing BMW design. They've said as much in recent times that they want to get away from the same designs each and every time and they should be applauded for taking these design risks.

Have a look at Mercedes. They all look alike. Copy/paste design. Same sausage different lengths. Can you tell the difference between a GLC and GLE?

This is a BMW 7 series. It should look nothing like a 3 series BMW and despite what people may think this new 7 has garnered alot of positive feedback from potential owners at private events so I guess BMW know exactly what they're doing.

Last edited:

Pakoe

Gold Member
It's called reinventing BMW design. They've said as much in recent times that they want to get away from the same designs each and every time and they should be applauded for taking these design risks.

Have a look at Mercedes. They all look alike. Copy/paste design. Same sausage different lengths. Can you tell the difference between a GLC and GLE?

This is a BMW 7 series. It should look nothing like a 3 series BMW and despite what people may think this new 7 has garnered alot of positive feedback from potential owners at private events so I guess BMW know exactly what they're doing.
Yeah, the lights have a unique shape:
GLC:
mercedes-benz-glc-2020-prijzen-01.jpg

GLE:
01.jpg

The 7 never looked like a 3 series to me.
I don't care about the opinions of potential owners, I'm not one of them. It's still as shitty as the bucktooth grilles.

The cars sell for a reason, there's a market for them. But they're still ugly ass cars to me.

Last edited:
Yeah, the lights have a unique shape:
GLC:
mercedes-benz-glc-2020-prijzen-01.jpg

GLE:
01.jpg

The 7 never looked like a 3 series to me.
I don't care about the opinions of potential owners, I'm not one of them. It's still as shitty as the bucktooth grilles.

The cars sell for a reason, there's a market for them. But they're still ugly ass cars to me.
Exactly you proved my point. Thanks for posting the pics of those two Mercedes models because apart from the headlights they look almost identical. Coming from a distance they would appear to be the same car.

And yes they're ugly to you because they don't stick totraditional BMW design. Just like the Audi TT was ugly to Audi fans back in the day. It wasn't a 'traditional' Audi. Some called it a bathtub on wheels.
Or what about Audi moving to ever larger front grills which irked its own fans.

Also the fact BMW is selling more cars than ever means they know what they're doing. The M3/M4 'bucktooth' series is the highest selling M series in BMWs history.
Design is subjective and you're obviously welcome to your own opinion but you don't speak for the target market for the 7 series. The fact interest in the car is at an all time high speaks at the excellent work BMW has done in R&D and leading up ti launch. They know their clientele.

People are resistant to change but in the coming years the shock of the new design direction BMW is taking will have fallen away and people will accept and love the new designs.

Pakoe

Gold Member
Exactly you proved my point. Thanks for posting the pics of those two Mercedes models because apart from the headlights they look almost identical. Coming from a distance they would appear to be the same car.

And yes they're ugly to you because they don't stick totraditional BMW design. Just like the Audi TT was ugly to Audi fans back in the day. It wasn't a 'traditional' Audi. Some called it a bathtub on wheels.
Or what about Audi moving to ever larger front grills which irked its own fans.

Also the fact BMW is selling more cars than ever means they know what they're doing. The M3/M4 'bucktooth' series is the highest selling M series in BMWs history.
Design is subjective and you're obviously welcome to your own opinion but you don't speak for the target market for the 7 series. The fact interest in the car is at an all time high speaks at the excellent work BMW has done in R&D and leading up ti launch. They know their clientele.

People are resistant to change but in the coming years the shock of the new design direction BMW is taking will have fallen away and people will accept and love the new designs.
Which is no problem for me, that's why I dislike them moving so fast with the design. There are smaller details which differ and makes each model unique.

No, I don't care about 'traditional' design. The pictures i posted are peak design.

Good on them for making bucks, they're still ugly as shit cars.

chromhound

So I'm a massive BMW fan and have owned just about every model of the M3 at some point.

The only one that has stuck around is my beauty, my baby, the E92 M3. It's imho the best bmw design and engine. As you can see my current drive way is a little nuts (RS7, 458 italia, and the e92)

of all 3 cars the e92 is the least powerful but the most fun to drive. That should probably say a lot for a now 11 year old car :)

v1Gc5v2.png
UZIbMlr.png
That's a nice selection of vehicles

Ironbunny

That new 7 is all about the right options. The sport kit looks hot as hell imo:
Bildschirmfoto-2022-05-18-um-14-12-27.png

a9de76657-bildschirmfoto-2022-05-18.png

And the midlands at BMW made the XM look just like the concept, crazy.

That looks stupid from the front. The proportions are way off. The front grill looks like it melted from the top and the sides look like the belong to a different car.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
The grill design seems to be aging well as I thought.

Meanwhile, Teslas keep looking worse and worse. Elon should tap one of the industry veterans for the next redesign.

Last edited:
Which is no problem for me, that's why I dislike them moving so fast with the design. There are smaller details which differ and makes each model unique.

No, I don't care about 'traditional' design. The pictures i posted are peak design.

Good on them for making bucks, they're still ugly as shit cars.
To each their own.

Its nice to look forward to BMW designs that cannot easily be predicted. In the past all you could do was slap a horizontal kidney grill and different shaped lights and you'd have the next series car.

Nowadays the designs are such a break from tradition and fresh outlook on the luxury segment that its something to look forward to. It may not be aesthetically pleasing to some but you have to admire the risks the company is taking in that regard and they're doing so while continuing to sell like hot cakes.

Looking forward to the next 5 series. I think that's the model BMW will be more conservative on but then again many thought that of the new 7 series.

0neAnd0nly

As a car guy, I can speak for 99% of the car community when I say that cars are just getting uglier in general.

Ugh.

The best era ended in the early 00s, and most since has become bloated and gross. EVs ushering in even more hideous design.

As a car guy, I can speak for 99% of the car community when I say that cars are just getting uglier in general.

Ugh.

The best era ended in the early 00s, and most since has become bloated and gross. EVs ushering in even more hideous design.
EV's are actually giving designers more creative freedom as you no longer need to have a massive grill to cool critical ICE components and what is the most important part of a car's identity? Yeah its that front fascia. Its the brand identity.
Though most car manufacturers are trying to incorporate elements of their ICE facias into their EV lineup but they are no longer bound by that design element. The same for the aerodynamics. The general setup of an EV platform changes design not just by form but also by function

You're telling me EV's and hybrids are ugly? These are works of art and there's tons more to come. Embrace our EV future :)

speedtail04.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-Vision-EQXX-LR.jpg

Last edited:

TylerD

I do agree that BMW is doing a really good job of changing the norm of what a BMW looks like while still looking like BMWs generally. I also agree that Audi and Mercedes are very similar with their designs across their model ranges. Have to give BMW some props for the energy sword tail lights on the LCI G01 X3 :messenger_beaming:

Pakoe

Gold Member
To each their own.

Its nice to look forward to BMW designs that cannot easily be predicted. In the past all you could do was slap a horizontal kidney grill and different shaped lights and you'd have the next series car.

Nowadays the designs are such a break from tradition and fresh outlook on the luxury segment that its something to look forward to. It may not be aesthetically pleasing to some but you have to admire the risks the company is taking in that regard and they're doing so while continuing to sell like hot cakes.

Looking forward to the next 5 series. I think that's the model BMW will be more conservative on but then again many thought that of the new 7 series.
Oh absolutely, my opinion is no more than that. They seem to know what (potential) owners want and that is a success in my book.

For my next car I might get a 1 series, which is still somewhat peak design:
bmw-1-serie-120ia-high-executive-m-sport.jpg

Or the older model which has aged like fine wine:
2019-bmw-m140i-review-1.jpg

The last 5 series LCI does have a striking look (besides the boring lights). I'm interesting in seeing what they can come up with next.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Oh man, what an upgrade.
Any specific reason for switching models?

A few things. The 1 series is more practical. I got a bit fed up with the boot size and shape in the 4. Also, living in London, a smaller car is never a bad idea. My dealership were quite happy to give me a really good deal on the PX for the 4 (it’s a sellers market due to the chip shortages) and the metallic black 1 looks a lot cooler than the estoril blue i had on the 4.

Oh absolutely, my opinion is no more than that. They seem to know what (potential) owners want and that is a success in my book.

For my next car I might get a 1 series, which is still somewhat peak design:
bmw-1-serie-120ia-high-executive-m-sport.jpg

Or the older model which has aged like fine wine:
2019-bmw-m140i-review-1.jpg

The last 5 series LCI does have a striking look (besides the boring lights). I'm interesting in seeing what they can come up with next.
Good choice.
I was in the market for an E87 130i. My partner and I even test drove a few but ultimately settled on Lexus IS350 just for the fact the Japanese car had more standard features, more interior space and then there's that stellar Lexus reliability record.

3 series was also an option but again the Lexus just had more standard features than even 330i.
335i was my dream car but the twin turbo setup and the reliability gave me cause for concern. They do sound pretty sweet though 😍😍😍

I will take the giant nostrils if they would stop putting glossy piano black finish and touch only controls in the interior.
Praise the lord.

I don't mind touch interfaces just leave the critical functions like climate control as knobs or levers.

Rolls Royce interior is a good example of art meshing with function. I mean just look at it. Its like an art piece. Just gorgeous and easy to operate while driving rather than having to tap twice to get to a menu to change the temps:
New-2020-Rolls-Royce-Cullinan.jpg

Or how about Land Rover. Rotary dial with little LCD screen embedded to display the temps. Just beautiful but still easy to operate:
img1105873129-1501268389147.jpg

Last edited:

mxbison

BMW has always been really hit or miss for me.

From the premium brands they've consistently had some of the best looking and worst looking cars.

Pakoe

Gold Member
Good choice.
I was in the market for an E87 130i. My partner and I even test drove a few but ultimately settled on Lexus IS350 just for the fact the Japanese car had more standard features, more interior space and then there's that stellar Lexus reliability record.

3 series was also an option but again the Lexus just had more standard features than even 330i.
335i was my dream car but the twin turbo setup and the reliability gave me cause for concern. They do sound pretty sweet though 😍😍😍
I said damn, that is one sexy whip.

Speaking of the Japanese, the Mazda 3 is also a slick one.
So many standard features ,plus the interior looks luxurious.

I'm still not sure and just bought a new one lol, so the next one is still a few years away.
I'm already narrowing it down to either the 1 series, a class or mazda 3.

Last edited:
I said damn, that is one sexy whip.

Speaking of the Japanese, the Mazda 3 is also a slick one.
So many standard features ,plus the interior looks luxurious.

I'm still not sure and just bought a new one lol, so the next one is still a few years away.
I'm already narrowing it down to either the 1 series, a class or mazda 3.
My parents have a Mazda 3 and my dad was trying to convince me on getting that car or going with Mazda Miata. Also I see quite a few Mazda 3's on the road in my area.

I reckon it would be between Mazda 3 and BMW 1 series. Both are more geared towards sporty drive than luxury that you find with the A class.

Obviously best to just test drive all 3 and make your decision. Good to be in your shoes. Being in the market for a new car is so exciting.

This is my baby: (So far just added: HR lowering springs, aftermarket 18 inch wheels, muffler + secondary cat delete and fitted aftermarket resonator, and those are aftermarket LED tail lights). I want to add some window tints next week.
290948277_3161000507445754_6587656223787900589_n.jpg

Last edited:

Pakoe

Gold Member
My parents have a Mazda 3 and my dad was trying to convince me on getting that car or going with Mazda Miata. Also I see quite a few Mazda 3's on the road in my area.

I reckon it would be between Mazda 3 and BMW 1 series. Both are more geared towards sporty drive than luxury that you find with the A class.

Obviously best to just test drive all 3 and make your decision. Good to be in your shoes. Being in the market for a new car is so exciting.

This is my baby: (So far just added: HR lowering springs, aftermarket 18 inch wheels, muffler + secondary cat delete and fitted aftermarket resonator, and those are aftermarket LED tail lights). I want to add some window tints next week.
290948277_3161000507445754_6587656223787900589_n.jpg
Jeeez, bet that baby makes some mean sounds. Love it!

Jeeez, bet that baby makes some mean sounds. Love it!
Haha, I actually did some tunnel revs just yesterday because why the fuck not. I just recently got exhaust work done and never done a tunnel run yet.

Exhaust has settled down now over the past few weeks. It was insanely loud (especially cold starts) and I was genuinely worried my neighbor's might file a noise complaint. However its now sounding smoother and less raspy at the top of the RPM range.

Anyways getting off topic a bit here but let us know how your car hunt is going.

Fools idol

Banned
rw-carbon-fiber-bmw-f87-m2-3d-style-cf-front-lip-2.jpg
rw-carbon-fiber-bmw-f87-gtx-style-trunk-spoiler.jpg
w1sedrkmfjr51.jpg

Imho the last good looking M car.

The M2 in glorious Long Beach blue metallic paint. Will be my next daily driver I think, just hard to find a clean low milage example with the N55 engine (pre-competition model). Sounds way better than the M2 Comp and I would prefer an OG M2 with a stage 2 tune than a stock M2 Comp...

Amazing cars to drive and look at.

Last edited:

TheMan

Nobody posted pics of the leaked 2023 m2? It’s been universally shit on by bmw fans lol. Personally the front has grown on me, but the rear…big sad

images
images

Last edited:
Top Bottom