• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else stopped following game previews/hype/pre-releases?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Back when I was younger, I used to follow the titles that interested me religiously before their releases. I would scour the web for hours just to find even a nugget of information about the games.

Now? I pretty much stopped. I'll watch the release trailer, and if there is gameplay, I'll stop there and not pay attention to anything relating to the game unless it's some major news such as a delay or cancellation. Otherwise, I play what's available and put it in the back of my mind. I eventually forget it and by the time I remember, it's almost time for the launch.

This more or less happened with Dragon's Dogma 2. I looked at the first trailer, watched a gameplay video, and then ignored everything else. Heard some buzz about a 30fps cap but didn't pay too much attention. Now, I realize that the game is coming in just over 2 weeks.

I find this much better than getting caught in hype trains and impatiently counting the days until release.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yea it’s all kind of boring, everything gets delayed, and there is so much content for so many games, who cares? It’s not like I am reading Earthworm Jim previews in Nintendo Power. If there’s a game I am interested in I’ll check it out occasionally but the hype cycle, no thanks .

I haven't even watched the new GTA trailer yet. I will eventually, but I just know it's so far out from release that it's pointless for me to try and get excited for it.
It’s a great trailer. I just watched it again the other day.

Last edited:

simpatico

Haven't even watched a trailer for Dragons Dogma 2. Just gonna buy it if performance reviews are decent enough. If it's a title I know I want, I don't even do trailers any more. Just perf impressions. CGI trailers have to be one of the most wasteful things to use resources on. Hell even regular trailers beyond the first small gameplay trailer. 30 seconds of average gameplay scenarios and I'm pretty good.

Laptop1991

Yes i have, I'll watch a trailer, but won't make any decision to buy until after the game is out and it's been played and i can see if it's worth buying, I've saved quite a bit of money in the last few years doing this.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Maybe I’m that way. I tend to watch the early stuff, but lately I’ve turned off IGN’s TV station. They’re just showing off Rebirth footage and someone is breaking it down. I don’t exactly want to see something I haven’t had a chance to access myself. After finishing FFV again, it just feels like it’s celebrating/covering the franchise for the views. If that makes sense. Where was this sudden interest years ago.

I don’t follow a particular journalist. It’s whatever article has the interesting news. Of course announcements can be from anywhere, so it’s a mixed bag. If it’s an in-depth article then that’s interesting. It was like Elden Ring’s exclusive article in Edge. I don’t follow or sub to Edge. I don’t like to follow the same path because either you deal with possible spoilers or you feel like they’re sucking the life out of something just because it’s a new thing.

I bought Dragon’s Dogma 2 because we are all hyped about it and I had the first game at launch. It certainly wasn’t because IGN went over to Japan and got to play it. lol

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Yeah, for the most part, but for a really big game (example a future Bloodborne 2 announcement) I'll lurk in a GAF thread or a subreddit.

There's also a billion gaming podcasts, shows, etc, so most information trickles down eventually.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't care about the hype cycle any more. I'll look at the trailers after a show or something but I don't really follow many games through development any more.

For most games I let other people take the hit to find out if they're worth the time and money.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I just look on forums for hype and try to avoid spoilers.

Pretty much all I want to know is if it's any good and what genre it is.

Yes I also stopped, I think last time I got into the hype was that famous Sony E3 where they showcased FFVII remake and all the other dream games.

I even stopped buying games with 90+ scores which also was a must back then, turned into a patience gamer and just finishing up games before looking at what passed the test of time

Bridges

As soon as I realize I want to buy a game I usually stop seeking out any material on it. I prefer to know as little as possible going in and the only thing I need to know is if it's interesting enough to pay full price for.

If a trailer shows up in a showcase or direct that I'm already watching then do be it, but I won't go out of my way to absorb anything else. Exceptions for things like fighting games and music games where I still enjoy the hype of being drip-fed the character/song list

Codeblew

I will watch videos and come to forums like NeoGaf that hypes games but I rarely buy games on release these days. There are so many games available and so little time. I just wait for reviews and/or watch some gameplay on Twitch/youtube before deciding to purchase.

Phase

100%. Don't care about hype at all anymore as so much seems manufactured.

I see a game reveal and if I'm interested put it on my list. Then I'll check back on release for gameplay vids and if I like what I see I'll get it.

No hype for me anymore.

Would rather play game for what it is rather than fantasising about it or getting disappointed due to overhyped.

With that said, there are some games where I do feel some hype. Happened with Alan Wake 2 last year for example. Ended up not playing the game due to walking sim nature LOL.

Having over 80+ backlog (not counting freebies or subscriptions), I rarely play games on day one those days, let alone getting on hype train.

I do still buy games on day one just to support the devs I like.

The last game I played on day one was tears of the kingdom.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Would rather play game for what it is rather than fantasising about it or getting disappointed due to overhyped.
If you know what expect from the game then you wont get disappointed.

After playing the amazing demo for Unicorn Overlord I have no reason not be hype for it and I know FROM will deliver on Elden Ring expansion based on their track record.

You guys are way too scared to be “disappointed“ as if it’s end of the world.….I love to be excited for games, yes there is always a chance I might get disappointed, so what? it video game, life too short to be jaded about it.

After playing the amazing demo for Unicorn Overlord I have no reason not be hype for it and I know FROM will deliver on Elden Ring expansion based on their track record.

You guys are way too scared to be “disappointed“ as if it’s end of the world.….I love to be excited for games, yes there is always a chance I might get disappointed, so what? it video game, life too short to be jaded about it.
This isn’t about what I choose to do. As I said I can get mildly hyped sometimes.

Also, oftentimes I like to dissect games, figure out what’s optimum way to enjoy it best. Getting hyped gets in way of that. A lot of mechanically divisive games, turns out to be pretty enjoyable if you play them in specific ways.

Killjoy-NL

I typically read/watch quite a lot of whatever is available for any game.

Only two exceptions where I went on a complete media blackout w
after the first 2 trailers were MGSV and FFVII Rebirth.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Me.

My backlog is too big to care what comes out these days the only sources of new releases I have these days is what I randomly run into on Reddit, GameGaqs, Reset Era and Neogaf forums.

I might buy a game that's on Sale on Steam or buy a game that I plan to play with some real life friends but otherwise I don't care about hype cycles anymore.

It's pointless to get hyped for a game now when I don't know if I will have the time to play it or if I will be willing to pay the full price on release day.

sigmaZ

I personally find it harder to play a game if I havent been hyped for it beforehand.
This imo one of the problems with assesing quality from others as an older gamer. Hype can blind people to what the true merits and faults are of a game are. I was the same until the end of middle school but then I started just taking games purely at face value. What you find is that too much of what people value in games is based around hype, which makes it hard to take anyone seriously who says a game is 10/10 or has no faults.
These days I find finding the faults vs what the game does well just as stimulating as hype, but I also know what a want so I'm will drop or cheese a game that doesn't adhere my own personal design philosophy.
Still I get that many if not most gamers play games for social proof or for the sake of accomplishment. There's nothing odd about that from a human standpoint.

ahtlas7

I stopped doing this with a lot of things in life: games, movies, and especially trips. Much prefer the blind adventure. Some games release without ever watching a trailer, like Hell Divers 2.

sigmaZ

Yeah. But it's hilarious to watch them overract. People cancelling their preorders shall for me forever remain one of the greatest memes.

Griffon

Well of course I agree now with the thread because the release calendar is very quiet right now. But I just have to remind myself that I was hyped as fuck on Tekken 8 and earlier Armored Core 6 (both delivered big time).

It simply feels like there aren't a lot of big upcoming games, but I'm sure that by June/July, we'll get some new good reveals and the hype cycle will start again.

I play a lot of games across multiple formats, including PC, but I rarely take much interest in pre-release previews and stuff beyond a quick cursory glance to see if anything interests me. I don't normally read or watch previews unless the game is really special (say something like Final Fantasy VII Rebirth) nor do I pre-order games any more except for the odd collector's edition (such as Final Fantasy VII Rebirth on PS5). To be honest, if I want a game then I usually just buy it when it is released and maybe watch Digital Foundry's coverage of the game to check how it looks and runs. I don't even really read reviews as I would rather experience the game for myself and decide whether it is good or whatever without being prejudiced by someone else's words and opinions. Same for movies too.

Last edited:

Fbh

For the most part yeah.
But as I get older I've also moved on from the hype cycle and FOMO in general. That need to get every hyped new game on day 1 is getting lower and lower. Buying day 1 these days mostly just means paying more to get the shittiest version of the game. I guess I get it with multiplayer games as you want to get in early and learn alongside the community instead of buying it a year later and getting destroyed by more experienced players, but for single player games I've been having a blast this gen mostly buying games 6+ months after they launch.

The one dev I consistently make an exception for is FROM. But I also don't feel like the version of Elden Ring I got at launch on ps5 was particularly different or worse than how the game is now.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
I mostly stopped doing that almost 20 years ago. There are maybe a handful of games since then where I've watched more than a trailer or preview video before actually playing it myself.

Way I see it, it's much easier to enjoy a game if you don't know everything about it beforehand. Not only goes for games, by the way. I like going in blind when it comes to movies, anime, books... anything, really. Surprise me!

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I stopped, the development cycles are just too long now. Plus the games I seem to get hyped about have long development plus tons of delays, just look at Silksong or Metroid Prime 4 as examples.

Aye, generated media hype doesn't really mean much to be frank. I find it easier to get enthusiastic on something based on what piques my curiosity through personal discovery.

Top Bottom