• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else skipping this console generation?

Jokerevo

Banned
I'm a PC gamer, however i do usually get the consoles each generation because i like gaming on console too.

However with all Xbox games coming to PC and looking like Playstation following suit, also a lack of stock and most notably the 'next gen' feel really not being there, the jump from Ps4 to Ps5 seems so weak in comparisons to previous generations, anyone else thinking of not even bothering with a console this generation?
Have fun playing Bloodborne while we're playing Bloodborne 2. Why anyone who can afford a PC would ignore a generation is beyond me?

The jump from ps4 to Ps5 seems so weak? You don't actually have any experience of this do you lol? Because all my pc dudes who have bought or played around with a ps5 are seriously impressed. Wait until 1st party titles appear and engines mature.

*Nightwing

Yes skipping this gen but if history is any indication, I will loose my willpower and succumb to the hype.

Wanted to focus on my backlog. Need to stay strong and not jump on the hypetrain this gen

Last edited:

anzhar

Ps3 is my current console, got over 300 digital titles, and have only completed 1 to platinum,

Have got 10 to 15% done on a few racers and stealth games but lack of time means cannot justify new console

Spent 3 years playing the free Dust 514 for around 12 hours a day, when that shut down in 2016 it killed my passion for gaming,

Now I just play a random shmup or fighter on PS3 when I got an hour or two

Sold all my other consoles including my SNES and my beloved GameCube as they were collecting dust. Had nearly all the GameCube only games collected, but I knew I would never get round to playing or completing them, and were taking up too much space

The money I've saved from gaming I've put in to restoring and doing up my altezza which is in final stages of turbo conversion, have dropped about 12k on it so far

I still put aside £40 to £50 a month for a big gaming purchase for when I'm tempted by something, I could get my first gaming pc right now and go all out with a 3090, but the successor to Dust 514 is no where near ready, and by the time it comes out I will be able to splurge on a 4090 or whatever it maybe by then

Recently bought a Samsung 85" 4k TV, and it's given new life to my PS3 games, so much less lag, and some games look even better than before

Even sf2 turbo hyper fighting looks good (ps1 version from the Japanese PSN store)

Ridge Racer 7 looks almost current gen

HF2014

My Switch satisfy my need for now. It need a game or two to trigger me about wanting a next gen console, which didnt happen yet. Bloodborne 2 would make me move, and if Elders Scrolls in XB is exclusive, it might be very tempating.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Nope, I skipped out on last generation. I've yet to buy a single PS5 game but I've been enjoying PS4 games on my PS5 and catching up on the exclusives I missed.

Already have :
- PS5,
- iPad Air 2020,
- MacBook Air M1.

Will get :
- a new iPad Air or Pro in a year or two,
- a new MacBook Air in a two or three years,
- an iMac Pro with M1X if it's coming this year,
- a new LCD screen for GameBoy Pocket for this summer,
- a small PC for my arcade cabinet this summer,
- a new iPhone in a year.

I don't care at all about the rest.

Zeroing

Banned
I might skip again Xbox again, they are quite different from the Xbox one era but they are still using the “wait for” narrative.

the same could be said for PlayStation but they are already showing games that are close to be released.

still with the lack of console available I am in no rush to jump into this generation

Grechy34

I have a switch, but I’m not interested in PS5 or X1X at all.

The games are going to be the same as PS4 and Xbone but marginally better. I didn’t really enjoy PS4/Xbone generation that much except for Forza series and some smaller games.

Unless you play the newest Call of Duty and Madden every year why even get these new consoles?

Look whilst I think it's always a good idea to wait a year until the catalogue fills out and anyone on a tight budget will get away with previous gen, the facts are that games are not "marginally" better. The PS4/XBox One will gradually lose support and current gen tech is simply miles ahead of previous generation. Fair enough if you don't see a reason to upgrade and happy with your current lineup of games but calling it marginal is a stretch.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
Look whilst I think it's always a good idea to wait a year until the catalogue fills out and anyone on a tight budget will get away with previous gen, the facts are that games are not "marginally" better. The PS4/XBox One will gradually lose support and current gen tech is simply miles ahead of previous generation. Fair enough if you don't see a reason to upgrade and happy with your current lineup of games but calling it marginal is a stretch.
I’ve been playing games for a long time.
It’s marginal.

They’re going to sell you more add on purchases and more small incremental purchases in games, locking game progress behind rpg experience bars which you can pay to speed up, but hey... at least it might output at 4K and have better reflections.

I’m glad you’re excited about this generation of games. With current development methods and appetites of players, games will take even longer to make and cost exponentially more with not much return on new experiences.
With that risk comes publishers playing it even more safe than they have in the last gen.

not trying to be negative, its just how I see it going forward.

Last edited:

Grechy34

I’ve been playing games for a long time.
It’s marginal.

They’re going to sell you more add on purchases and more small incremental purchases in games, locking game progress behind rpg experience bars which you can pay to speed up, but hey... at least it might output at 4K and have better reflections.

I’m glad you’re excited about this generation of games. With current development methods and appetites of players, games will take even longer to make and cost exponentially more with not much return on new experiences.
With that risk comes publishers playing it even more safe than they have in the last gen.

not trying to be negative, its just how I see it going forward.

I agree with you on nearly all those points.

I'm talking in terms of purely performance and resolution which is far from marginal even going from a PS4 Pro.

WoJ

I'd like to get a Series X if only because I have a base Xbone. I plan to get a PS5 at some point but not sure when. Initially I wanted to wait for the Slim or Pro revision but we will see.

Ten_Fold

I was since I’m not impressed by anything Sony is doing in the near future, I still got the ps5 and it’s cool but man it’s just meh for me. Personally I think the series X is really cool because of gamepass but nothing worth playing till halo, and starfield.

Now the switch is too amazing imo, I was kinda done with gaming for a bit before the switch was out. Their games just have too much replay value.

Animagic

Banned
I agree with you on nearly all those points.

I'm talking in terms of purely performance and resolution which is far from marginal even going from a PS4 Pro.
Yeah resolution is better. But if everything else I said is true then what’s the point?

I bought both consoles. I don’t necessarily regret it - but I’d wait a couple years until they have more solid next gen titles. Also I think most everything on xbox is coming to PC anyway

That’s essentially what I’ve been saying with first party games going to PC. If you got a reasonably powerful or even a decent PC and all of Microsoft and possibly some or even most PlayStation games go to PC eventually, imo it makes the consoles look less appealing. I guess the consoles are for convenience and cheaper?

Shubh_C63

Definitely.
But for only those who gravitated towards PC in the first place. Console only folks are console only folks.

sunnysideup

Banned
I know one thing. Ill never buy a fucking xbox. That is for sure. Talk about pointless console.

Every xbox game is going to be better on pc. 100% guaranteed.

I don't think I'll be skipping but as it stands, it's quite a boring gen so far. I'm sure it will get better though as soon as there are some games worth playing. But the fact that things are going more and more digital, PC is starting to look a bit more enticing for me. Games are usually cheaper, my games aren't limited to "gens", there's some great mods out there and if a game decides to disappear from my library, there are other means to get the game that I paid for.

Ah, emulation. So not financially supporting the devs who spend their days making the game, nice!
This is such a dumb conclusion that I see many people jump to every time emulation is mentioned. Just because someone is using an emulator doesn't mean they didn't buy the game. It's that simple. It's such a simplistic, dumb view of emulation.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

This is such a dumb conclusion that I see many people jump to every time emulation is mentioned. Just because someone is using an emulator doesn't mean they didn't buy the game. It's that simple. It's such a simplistic, dumb view of emulation.

The thread is about pc only players (skipping the console generation). So naturally if someone only owns pc and is playing emulated Nintendo games it's natural to think they wouldnt buy a game for a console they don't own

The thread is about pc only players (skipping the console generation). So naturally if someone only owns pc and is playing emulated Nintendo games it's natural to think they wouldnt buy a game for a console they don't own
It's an assumption and you took a jab at someone for not supporting devs when you don't have any idea if they did or not. It's dumb.

Mithos

Well...

I'm not going to pay us$700+ for a PS5 at least. (5990SEK ~us$712, current official price in stores in Sweden for the discbased version)

Krizalidx11

Banned
Ah, emulation. So not financially supporting the devs who spend their days making the game, nice!

Nah, ur supporting Nintendo who put coders in cubicles from 9am to 10pm and fire them whenever they have a bad financial year like WiiU days

Last edited:
So you are a pc only gamer (the point of this thread) yet you bought software for a console you don't own?
Did you get sexually assaulted by a computer as a child or something?

Pretty sure the thread is about whether anyone is thinking about skipping consoles this gen, not if you're a PC purist.

Wtf is this shit you're trying to stir up anyway?

The absolute beauty of PC is being able to play games at its highest possible output, this includes emulating games from consoles.

Who gives a flying duck, except you apparently, about what a person does with his PC and the games that person plays?

Last edited:

Jurry132

Neo Member
Nope wont skip. Generations will take 5+ years yo complete. Who knows what yhey still have in store. First year indeed sucks. No games amd no consoles

Trimesh

Banned
I'm still planning to get both the PS5 and the Series X. It's just that right now there don't seem to be any titles that justify buying either of them, and doubly so since they are basically not obtainable at list price. It's actually working out quite well - I normally got consoles at launch and then ended up buying titles that were objectively unimpressive because there was nothing else to play. The shortage has saved me from that, at least.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I wish I could. I bought a damn Ps5 because I could and want to play exclusives but I strongly prefer gaming on my PC. I sold my PS4 before I played some games so I am using it for that as well. It might be a good move to wait for PS6 and pick up exclusives from the PS5 if there are any. If not you can skip the PS6 too.

IKSTUGA

I have both next-gen machines and zero regrets 🤷‍♂️. PS5 got some great exclusives already and Series X is the ideal place to play 3rd party + BC games.

Since PS2 I get in late into the present gen. But almost always months or mere weeks before a better version or something like that is announced. PS4Pro I got as late as 2018. And I will wait again on the 5 for a unavoidable "upgrade"/"revision"

I got my hands on a pretty beefy PC-Setup (upgraded from a 7 year old machine with a 980ti to a 3080, but had to wait a looong time for it to be delivered) and am in 4k/60/ultra-heaven right now... One thing i didn't decide for now is, if I may dip into PCVR.

tsumake

I started a similar thread a few months ago and got dogpiled by supposed console fanboys. I guess people’s tastes have changed?

If it pushes everything forward by all means then hell yeah , otherwise what's the point of supporting stuff that holds itself back ? , we pay for the stuff that we like to support but we don't get the best version of that stuff then what's even the point of using the term next gen for?

Top Bottom