• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else pre-order Magna Carta?

Have I made a terrible mistake in doing so?

This is the first time I've ever committed this much money to a game I know so little about. Since it's being brought over by Atlus, I didn't want to risk missing out on a potentially limited print run.
Honestly, there's almost nothing to go on that I have been able to find other than a few previews and a couple of movies containing very little gameplay. I did a search of these very forums before posting this and still couldn't find many details about the overall story or gameplay.

Magna Carta is only a week away. Somebody's gotta know something. Spill it!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You know.. when you reserve a game, your not stuck buying it.

Ponn

Banned
I'm still going too. I have chosen not to listen too anyone else on this game since it is the most mixed up game coming to media and reviews. Worst list in Japan yet i know people have talked it up. PLAY magazine hyped it up to holy hell and back (though I just can't trust Dave Halverson anymore, he's getting too kooky in his old age). The art looks fantastic as well as the music. I just can't see anything wrong with any videos so I just can't figure out where this game is coming from.

Suikoguy said:
You know.. when you reserve a game, your not stuck buying it.

I'm well aware of this fact and I have no intention of cancelling my pre-order. This is just a blatent attempt at getting some impressions. Whether the game is a turd or not, I'll still play it.

belgurdo

Banned
Something tells me it's going to royally suck, but the art prevents me from staying away. I might dip into the "trade pile" or wait until it drops price before plunging

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
MoxManiac said:
My interest died when I saw it on that top 10 worst RPGs list that was polled to japanese players.

Funny, got a link to that list?

Dave Halverson loves it because the art gives him a boner. Seriously. Dave has a thing for detailed Eastern manga styles that feature women with huge-ass titties. (Actually, he has a thing for ANYTHING that features cartoon titties.) The rest of the game could be utter crap and he'd still love it just because his brain would be flooded with geek endorphins the whole time. The guy has yet to find a fan service anime that he won't give at LEAST an 8/10 to.

Near as I can tell, the game is polarized into two camps: the OMG TEH ART IS TEH HAWT I NEVER WANT TO STOP LOOKING AT THESE ANIME BABES/BISHIES; and b) dear GOD this game is basically FF8 minus the kickass Guardian Forces, the customization, and the Square polish -- hence, it SUCKS.

Drinky Crow said:
Dave Halverson loves it because the art gives him a boner. Seriously. Dave has a thing for detailed Eastern manga styles that feature women with huge-ass titties. (Actually, he has a thing for ANYTHING that features cartoon titties.) The rest of the game could be utter crap and he'd still love it just because his brain would be flooded with geek endorphins the whole time. The guy has yet to find a fan service anime that he won't give at LEAST an 8/10 to.

Near as I can tell, the game is polarized into two camps: the OMG TEH ART IS TEH HAWT I NEVER WANT TO STOP LOOKING AT THESE ANIME BABES/BISHIES; and b) dear GOD this game is basically FF8 minus the kickass Guardian Forces, the customization, and the Square polish -- hence, it SUCKS.

It's definitely hard to not notice the enormous tits, that much is true. Hell, even the male characters appear to sport some perky ones. What honestly got me was the odd, potentially whack battle system. Although I'm not exactly sure how it all works, there seems to be three types of attacks linked to various button presses dependent upon which sort of skill your character is using. Not exactly Shadow Hearts, but I'm intrigued nonetheless.

IGN had a newsitem on Magna Carta being ported to PSP, so I'll wait for that version then. Meanwhile I'll read some (user) reviews on the game to see if it's worth the money or not.

Despite a few anatomical screwups -- not stylistic decisions, but actual screwups like knee and torso deformation -- the character art *is* incredible. On the other hand, the art doesn't really extend into the rest of the game -- the environments are bland and lo-fi. Don't let the stellar character art fool you; there's none of the production value or polish you get from Square's artier RPG titles.

MrDaravon

Drinky Crow said:
Despite a few anatomical screwups -- not stylistic decisions, but actual screwups like knee and torso deformation -- the character art *is* incredible. On the other hand, the art doesn't really extend into the rest of the game -- the environments are bland and lo-fi. Don't let the stellar character art fool you; there's none of the production value or polish you get from Square's artier RPG titles.

Again you speak truth. The art's pretty amazing, but most people can't seem to get past that, and most people who've actually played the fucking import say it sucks, so I'm passing unless it starts getting incredible reviews or something. Atlus lost me on taking chances with them after Stella Deus.

Bebpo

Banned
I avoid Korean-made games/films on principle unless I hear good things about them (which I haven't concerning Magna Carta). Been burned on almost every Korean game/film to date :(

Yeah, I can't believe how mediocre Stella Deus was -- and I was one of the very rare few who dug Hoshigami, warts and all. It seems that in an effort to NOT be Hoshigami with its brutal level dependencies and required in-depth customization, they completely gutted any challenge and development whatsoever. The RAP gauge was wasted on a shallow game that still suffered from Hoshi's AI flaws and arbitrary difficulty spikes stemming from "puzzle" boss battles. Boo!

MrDaravon

Yeah, but god the artwork was awesome. Still need to pick up the artbook for that. I wanted to like the game so much to justify my purchase, and I just can't. I got most of the way through it, I need to force myself to finish it one of these days.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I like that art. I think it's interesting. It may fall into a sort of predictable genre, but it's not offensive to me like googly-eyed anime characters or most of Square's creations. I'm not going to buy it without knowing a bit more.

I like it, too. But I don't pay $50 for ONLY art, although I'd snatch it for $10 on clearance. There has to be a good, deep RPG backing it.

Pachinko

See I preordered it simply becuase you know in a couple years it'll be hard to find and even if it sucks a fat ass someone will still pay 50 bucks for it. I mean shit, look at that godawful RPG on PS1 thousand arms. If you can find it somewhere it's for atleast 30 or 40 bucks still , even though it's old and shitty.

Plus I'd like to play the game myself to make my own judgement, if it's actually that bad I can also just trade it in the following week for dragon quest... :p

Pachinko said:
Plus I'd like to play the game myself to make my own judgement, if it's actually that bad I can also just trade it in the following week for dragon quest... :p

Yeah, we'll see. My suck-o-meter can tolerate quite a bit. As long as there is some semblance of fun involved I should be OK with it. I suppose we'll find out in a few days.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Art is gorgeous but everything I've heard about the game tells me its mediocre at best...

belgurdo - Wait for a price drop on an Atlus game?? =P

Bebpo - I didn't think Rhapsody of Zephyr was that bad, just very very slow =P

MrDaravon

Mejilan said:
I preordered Stella Deus, a fucking mistake of epic proportions. Not again.

Pretty much.

Yeah drinky, I thought the SD soundtrack was awesome, although I thought overall it was one of Sakimoto's weaker entries, he's still arguably my favorite composer.

Tabs

I just got it in the mail today, but I'm out the door to visit with the in-laws. Tomorrow morning, we'll see what it's like. It hadn't even registered on my to-play-o-meter until I saw a trailer of it on Atlus' site while downloading the manual for DDS 2, which looked very nice. I'm disappointed that it hasn't been received well overseas. No matter, I'll be going in with no expectations either way.

bloke

From comentaries of ppl that played japanese version;

good
- atmosphere, art and music
- story
- characters

bad
- slow combat
- long loading times
- various bugs

Maybe I'll get it for art once it's super cheap, for now i'm more interested in Suikoden Tactics and DQVIII

Limedust

Not to steer this thread toward Hoshigami, but for some reason that particular game made me wish that there was an online versus mode, which is something I wish all TBS console designers would work to implement in upcoming games. Might not work as well with a human AI on the other end, but something about the idea of setting up and executing a pinball combo just sounded nice.

Tarazet

I wonder if the negative press will translate into a truly limited print run, unlike DDS - 50-60K is a lot by Atlus standards.

Tabs

Sorry for the kind of non-update, but I haven't gotten more than 45 minutes with this game today. Now I'm off to a Halloween party.

Graphics remind me of Vagrant Story. The battle system, from everything that was said in the tutorial seems very deep. I can't even remember everything I was told I could do during a fight. Battles are a mix of real time and turn-based, and you can pick which character you want to attack each round. It can even be the same person over and over. I definitely want to get into it tomorrow.

Scott

Here's a shot of the full Deluxe Box Set packaging:

Bebpo said:
Yes but we don't know if it's a port or a new game yet.
From IGN:
When Banpresto announced that it would be bringing its PS2 RPG Magna Carta to the PSP, it made it quite clear that the game would be a port of the PS2 version with wide screen support. According to the latest Famitsu, we can count on a bit more than this.

The PSP version actually has some new features, ranging in size from trivial to potentially major. First, the game's font has been changed in order to make text more readable on the small PSP screen. The game now includes a gallery mode featuring character illustrations and other bits of artwork, accessible from the title screen. You can now select a second costume for some of the characters, as well as a new hair and skin color.

Gameplay will also see some changes. Magna Carta has two modes of movement: detect mode, which makes your characters move slow but gives them an advantage when entering battle, and its counterpart, dash mode. For the PSP version, detect mode has seen a few refinements to make it easier to use.
Source: http://psp.ign.com/articles/662/662079p1.html

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
But will we see Magna Carta on PSP in English?

Trav said:
Sorry for the kind of non-update, but I haven't gotten more than 45 minutes with this game today. Now I'm off to a Halloween party.

Graphics remind me of Vagrant Story. The battle system, from everything that was said in the tutorial seems very deep. I can't even remember everything I was told I could do during a fight. Battles are a mix of real time and turn-based, and you can pick which character you want to attack each round. It can even be the same person over and over. I definitely want to get into it tomorrow.

That must be some wicked-ass Halloween party. More (highly appreciated) impressions please, Trav!

teepo

tears of blood?

who the hell eats this shit up?

speaking of the art,i remember having manga carta characters as my background before i even knew what it was just because it looked so damn cool.

Pachinko

wiiig waaaam. 2 weeks ago when I preordered this it was anticipated to ship yesterday so it should have been in stores today and tommorow, a quick visit to EB's website reveals its shipdate has been pushed up to november 14th. I'm thinking I may as well move my 5 bucks from that onto the 5 bucks on dragonwarrior becuase I'd have only played the game this week anyway. Perhaps I'll join the new age KOHANites and buy AOE3 even though I'm terrible at the game... EB ain't gonna like me very much if I bump this preorder money... not that they were going to get more then 2 copies anyway though...

Scott

Atlus pushed the release date back a week due to manufacturing problems they encountered with the Deluxe Box Set ... boxes, so it's coming out on November 15th now (otherwise known as "RPG Day").

Yeah, it's gonna hurt my pocket but I'll be picking up both this and DQ8 next week. I figure I'll play DQ first since I've been anticipating it's release all year, Magna Carta just kind of snuck up on me.

With these two RPG's lined up, it should be about March before I need to buy anything else. Should give me time to nurse my wallet back to health.

Top Bottom