• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else notice how 2023 is a huge revival year for iconic game franchises?

So far we have Final Fantasy XVI which looks like a big return for the series after having so many disappointing mainline entries

Diablo IV, the last entry is over 12 years old already.

Street Fighter 6, will be huge. Its multiplatform and getting rave feedback from people in the beta. I think it might actually outsell the next Mortal Kombat.

Silent Hill, back from the dead with multiple new games out.

Armored Core, its been two console generations since we’ve seen this IP.

Dead Island 2, again another IP thats been dormant for over a decade.

I’m sure theres more stuff im forgetting. Theres probably a ton of games that will be announced this year coming back from the dead, especially Konami IP.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Final Fantasy has got remakes, spin-off's, and is generally one of the most abused and overused franchises in gaming.

It's strange it took them this long to get Diablo 4 out. But they did remaster the second one and did get some DLC for 3.

Armored Core and Silent Hill are the true revivals, if they come out this year.

intbal

V7aGUoF.png

sainraja

Diablo isn't getting a revival lol. It is just getting a sequel now and with Blizzard, this kind of timeline is kinda normal. If Diablo 4 is a revival for the series then you can say Ragnarok was also a revival of God of War.

Diablo isn't getting a revival lol. It is just getting a sequel now and with Blizzard, this kind of timeline is kinda normal. If Diablo 4 is a revival for the series then you can say Ragnarok was also a revival of God of War.

What do you mean god of war came out in 2018, Diablo 3 came out in 2011

Yoboman

Final Fantasy has got remakes, spin-off's, and is generally one of the most abused and overused franchises in gaming.

It's strange it took them this long to get Diablo 4 out. But they did remaster the second one and did get some DLC for 3.

Armored Core and Silent Hill are the true revivals, if they come out this year.
While FF gets spin offs and remakes this is the first new FF in 8 years. And maybe the first good one since the PS2 era if it delivers

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm going to have to push back on Final Fantasy. To say it's being having a revival suggests the franchise was almost on its last knees, which is just nonsense.

FFXV was absolutely fucking amazing. Easily my favourite to date. Not to mention after that we got the FFVII remake. FFXVI also looks amazing and might top XV. Easily my most anticipated game of the year.

i'm hyped for Diablo IV and will definitely buy Armored Core, even though I have never played one before, just because of From Software's success with Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro/Elden Ring.

the only Final Fantasy games i've enjoyed are FFVII/Remake but outside them i have only tried 13, 14, 15. i might be willing to give 16 a shot now i've actually played and finished a FF game.

not really interested in the other games mentioned.

History is cyclical. I'm all for it but here's hoping there are some announcements of new games this year aside from sequels/spin-offs/DLCs.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So instead of the same old AAA remakes and sequels, they’re dusting off some older sequels for fresh remakes and sequels.

Seriously though, I’m happy about some of these, but new shit would be nicer.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

So far we have Final Fantasy XVI which looks like a big return for the series after having so many disappointing mainline entries

Street Fighter 6, will be huge. Its multiplatform and getting rave feedback from people in the beta. I think it might actually outsell the next Mortal Kombat.

I’m sure theres more stuff im forgetting. Theres probably a ton of games that will be announced this year coming back from the dead, especially Konami IP.
Dont forget alan wake and alone in the dark

I'm going to have to push back on Final Fantasy. To say it's being having a revival suggests the franchise was almost on its last knees, which is just nonsense.

FFXV was absolutely fucking amazing. Easily my favourite to date. Not to mention after that we got the FFVII remake. FFXVI also looks amazing and might top XV. Easily my most anticipated game of the year.

I dont think there has been a universally praised non-mmo FF since like 10.

Last edited:
And not that it was dead anyway, but I love that we're getting GTA6 in the next few years. This generation is amazing.

Last edited:

th4tguy

Diablo 4 : they are sho horning in live service season passes.

Street fighter 6: see above

Silent hill: it’s Konami. Don’t hold your breath that it’ll be good

Armored Core: I’m hopeful for this one but from softwares continued struggles with their own tech leave me little hope.

Dead Island 2: flop on arrival

Edit: somehow missed that you out FFXVI- this looks promising and one reason I’m hunting for / hoping for a slim ps5 this year. I am disappointed that the series has transitioned to such an action battle format and is less rpg with every release but I still have hopes it will be good

Last edited:
Top Bottom