• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else more hype for Final Fantasy XVI after GoWR?

After playing Last of Us Part 1 and Part 2 again this year along with Ragnarok im just noticing how much more I really enjoy these wide open linear games more and more. Open world no matter what always just feels bloated, even Elden Ring had so much padding, especially in the Mountain Tops of The Giants. I like when i got little broken up sections of a map that i can explore and complete one at a time.

Ratchet and Clank games are kind of like this also. It makes games feel ‘level based’ so can clear stuff in a digestible format. After playing God of War, the next game coming up that is similar is FFXVI. It’s pretty much confirmed wide linear, and it also has skilled based fast action combat. I have a feeling the battle system is gonna be hard to master and thats exciting, especially for an RPG game.

I’m kind of over games being RPG’s and using that as an excuse to have middling clunky combat. I think Dragons Dogma 2 will be another one im looking forward to.

FFXVI is doing everything I want, mature-darker story for once (get tired of the teens saving the world), good focus on combat, interesting premise with the Eikons/summons, no open world.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m excited but I do want to play the demo to see how the combat works but currently I’m more excited for Callisto Protocol, it’s been good while since I played proper 3rd person survival horror game.

Im expecting it to play more like Bayonetta since its going for DMC combat. Wide linear is fine with me as well, like XIII-2. Im sure it'll be fun. I'd like to see what gameplay looks like outside of combat - in towns and open fields or even equip menus.

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
Final Fantasy XVI is the first FF game that looks interesting to me, No girlish looking men no goofy costumes
and the combat looks actually fun

Last edited:

Madflavor

I'm not setting myself up for disappointment. It's got a good team behind it, it looks good, so we'll see. Final Fantasy just isn't the gaming juggernaut it used to be. When you consider that the much demanded FFVII Remake only sold 5 million copies it's first year, and when you look at the trailer view count for the FFXVI trailers, that becomes abundantly clear. I think the franchise became so damaged during the Ps3/Xbox 360 era when the FFXII Trilogy was all we got, and it was terrible. Then the release of the underwhelming FFXV didn't help. There was about 15-20 years of nothing great coming out from the franchise, so it's no wonder. I hope FFXVI is great. Not good, but great. Because the franchise needs a big win, and quite frankly so does Square.

Before anyone says it, yes I'm aware of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV, which includes a free trial that includes the entirety of "A Realm Reborn" and the award-winning "Heavensward" expansion up to level 60 with no restrictions on playtime. It's my go to MMO.

No, I thought that the series would get fixed by redoing FF VII, but the changes they made to the story and lore just put me off of square soft forever.

And gowr is out and we know how good it is

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Wide Linear is vastly superior, always.

Open worlds are always bloated, and theres literally NEVER been an open world game with great combat.

yurinka

I'm not a Final Fantasy fan, my most hyped game once I complete GoWR will be Street Fighter 6, which I expect for around March and after that Spider-Man 2, which I expect for around May. I'm also pretty hyped for Resident Evil 4 remake, Pragmata and (this one not sure if these will be released in 2023) TLOU Online and Dragon's Dogma 2.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Depends. Will FFXVI be as annoying to play as GoW:R where it constantly shoves down hints and answers down your throat when trying to figure shit out? Maybe this is a modern day AAA issue, but I don't remember it ever being this bad. I am worried Square will do something similar with FFXVI since you know...we gamers are just dumb and lack common sense.

So you enjoy Sony games. Opposite for me. Wide linear feels to formulaic at this point. Painted ledges, skill trees with minimal skill differences, samey side objectives. I need more open world rpgs with immersive systems, multiple paths and my only issue with elden ring, towns of npcs to add to the worlds immersion. FF16 kind of know what’s it’s going to be already.

Go_Ly_Dow

Think FFXVI will be a diff kind of map design to Sony games.

They've said there'll be several larger zone field areas in the game with sidequests and hunting to allow breaks from the main story. All signs point to it being like FFXII but with a more connected map.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I'm super pumped for Final Fantasy. One of my all time favorite franchises and 16 looks pure 🔥. A mainline FF is a big event for me. Fucking can't wait. And I agree about the more linear approach to level design. I love big open worlds, but these semi open linear levels can be much more fun sometimes. Elden Ring had a good mix between spectacular open world exploration and well designed fun legacy dungeons. The best of both worlds.

Markio128

I‘m well up for a new FF and I’m feeling positive about the combat. After ER and HFW this year, I’m in the market now for more top quality action adventures - GOW:R has really scratched an itch.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That’s like months and months away.. I am excited for FFXVI. Idk how I feel. I’m excited to have some shorter games. I was a big fan of FF on PS1 and I like DMC a lot. I’m looking forward to The Callisto Protocol and RE4:R game time. Then give me some epic FF. I didn’t really enjoy my time with FFXV and my final game time was probably under 30 hours finishing the campaign. I’m hoping with the action based combat, that XVi is a lot more fun than XV was.

So you enjoy Sony games. Opposite for me. Wide linear feels to formulaic at this point. Painted ledges, skill trees with minimal skill differences, samey side objectives. I need more open world rpgs with immersive systems, multiple paths and my only issue with elden ring, towns of npcs to add to the worlds immersion. FF16 kind of know what’s it’s going to be already.

If the combat isn’t satisfying i don’t really care at this point, elden ring had great combat but its kind of all you do. I don’t really consider it a rpg even though it is heavy stat based

Puscifer

Gold Member
Wide linear and sandbox like Yakuza are so much better IMO. It really helps keep the scope of a game in check and you end up with more detailed places as a result.

I'm near the end of Ragnarok and I've been doing side quest because I know there's no NG+ and I JUST love how it's done, nothing feels pointlessly big

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Wide Linear is vastly superior, always.
gag.gif

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Yep about open words.
They feel algorithmically populated with random shit for you to just press a mindless input.

Ragnarok feels that every inch is hand-crafted with everything mindfully placed.

About FFXVI. SQUARE ENIX is just shit. So, I don't have any confidence about it. But people keep saying that this is the one. So..we shall see.

Oof85

Please explain
It looks nothing like a FF imo(not him but I share his sentiments).

It just looks like a western game with prettier characters and a combat system inspired by DMC.

If it was called Dragon Age: Chronicles of the Elucidae I wouldn't bat an eye.

I hope you have party members.

Not for combat. Just so they can constantly tell me how to pull levers and solve very simple puzzles the entire game.

It looks nothing like a FF imo(not him but I share his sentiments).

It just looks like a western game with prettier characters and a combat system inspired by DMC.

If it was called Dragon Age: Chronicles of the Elucidae I wouldn't bat an eye.
It looks like a realtime final fantasy v, mixed with elements and themes and setting of FFT, and XII. I really don’t see how you can compare this to Dragon Age.

The combat system has changed in literally every final fantasy so it is expected for it go further and further down the action rpg route.

Vaelka

I am hyped because of Yoshi-P and also because it'll be the first FF game I actually play outside of FFXIV.

Go_Ly_Dow

After getting further in GOWR, I'm quite certain FFXVI will be a more gripping game and a fresher experience.

So far, the story and locations in GOWR aren't gripping me and not delivering on the epicness classic GOW was known for.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Not really hyped for ff16 after the taste of donkey cum i have in my mouth after the latest 2 ff games i played, i know this one is made by the guy who made ff14 but i give 2 fucks about mmorpg so i don't care how good that one was tbh.

Waiting for long uninterrupted gameplay and feedback from trusted users.

Top Bottom