• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else find Demon's Souls Remake difficult?

Alphagear

Breezed through Bloodborne, DS3 and Elden Ring but Demons Souls is driving me mad.

There are hardly any bonfires and it seems you only get them after defeating a boss. Not to forget losing half your health bar if you die which can only return if you beat a boss or use an item which is fairly uncommon. The Cling Ring has helped a little.

I honestly thought it would the easiest of the Souls games from what I have read but so far I am really struggling. The issue isn't the enemy difficulty but the lack of bonfires. Seems a bit unfair to me.

On a side note the Sound and Graphics are the best I have seen on console to date. Puts Elden Ring to shame.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Odd considering its the easiest of them all. Do you play all souls games by just hugging and running around enemies because if that's the case I can see why Demons Souls is too hard since most of the levels are incredibly linear which leave almost no room to cheese enemies as other souls games. Still even with that in mind, besides 2-3 enemies the game was a cake-walk.

tommib

I can’t tell anymore since I know that game by heart. I got the platinum easily. Maneater on New Game always gives me anxiety though. Get a bow, upgrade it, and always have plenty of arrows. Bows and magic spells are op in Demon’s Souls. Just attack everything from as far as possible.

I miss the checkpoint system. Turns the game into survival horror but I know From will never go back to it. They’re now more interested in multi-stage boss fights with infinite health and not constant tension to finish a section.

Alphagear

Demon's Souls is the hardest game from boss to boss, but has, by far, the easiest bosses in any From game. Also, don't let your tendency go dark if you're already having issues, you'll regret it.

Unless you play magic and then the entire is faceroll.

I have only fought Phalanx and Tower Knight. Both were very easy.

My issue now is I can't go any further in the first Archstone world unless I kill an Archdemon. The other Archstone worlds are causing issues.

I have no idea what tendency is either lol.

Last edited:

tommib

I am only fought Phalanx and Tower Knight. Both were very easy.

My issue now is I can't go any further in the first Archstone world unless I kill an Archdemon. The other Archstone worlds are causing issues.

You need to proceed to level 2-1. Boletaria will open up again by the end game.

Mr Moose

shia-labeouf-magic.gif

FrankWza

I have only fought Phalanx and Tower Knight. Both were very easy.

Isn’t the 2 guard backstab near the spawn point an early farm? Just backstab both and run back and repeat

Alphagear

Odd considering its the easiest of them all. Do you play all souls games by just hugging and running around enemies because if that's the case I can see why Demons Souls is too hard since most of the levels are incredibly linear which leave almost no room to cheese enemies as other souls games. Still even with that in mind, besides 2-3 enemies the game was a cake-walk.

Yes that's another reason.

Usually I just farm and level the character up until it's OP then decide to play the main story. No real skill involved. Elden Ring was perfect for me.

Here I can't find any decent farming spot.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I haven't played the remake yet, but with the original I always treated having half health as being your true health bar because you will die and that's likely the state you will be in for most of the game your first time through. And bonfires are a dark souls thing. In Demon's Souls, I believe every level has multiple shortcuts you can open that significantly shortens your path to the boss for that level/area.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
You're not alone I've beaten like 11 or 12 of the bosses but I find it harder than Bloodborne. There's a lot of areas where you can fall to your doom

china falling GIF by philiplueck

Alphagear

You're not alone I've beaten like 11 or 12 of the bosses but I find it harder than Bloodborne. There's a lot of areas where you can fall to your doom

china falling GIF by philiplueck

Yep and the lack of space to fight isn't helping me because of the level design.

Lost count how many times my weapon has hit a wall only to get hit by an enemy after.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Which is how it should be.
The problem is that difficulty comes when playing your first time because you have less knowledge, this also true most Demons Souls bosses because they are much more puzzle like rather skill based.

But once you have knowledge multiple playthroughs become less interesting compare later FROM games.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yep and the lack of space to fight isn't helping me because of the level design.

Lost count how many times my weapon has hit a wall only to get hit by an enemy after.
Yup. It's harder to get powerful too like you said. I had the king's armor and sword already in 1-1 and I still wasn't op lol

tommib

Get a spear or something. I remember getting shocked by the realism at the time of watching the sword hitting a wall leaving me vulnerable for an attack. Spam arrows and spells on tight corridors!

Needlecrash

It's as hard as the original game for me. I enjoy it. If I fuck up, I know it's my fault for not adapting to the situation at hand.

jonnyXx

I' struggled when I originally played it on PS3 and I struggled again with the remake.
This guy gave me a really hard time... I don't suggest using a Greataxe to fight him.
juan-pablo-roldan-21-ds-flamelurker-juanroldan.jpg

fart town usa

Gold Member
Breezed through Bloodborne, DS3 and Elden Ring but Demons Souls is driving me mad.

There are hardly any bonfires and it seems you only get them after defeating a boss. Not to forget losing half your health bar if you die which can only return if you beat a boss or use an item which is fairly uncommon. The Cling Ring has helped a little.

I honestly thought it would the easiest of the Souls games from what I have read but so far I am really struggling. The issue isn't the enemy difficulty but the lack of bonfires. Seems a bit unfair to me.

On a side note the Sound and Graphics are the best I have seen on console to date. Puts Elden Ring to shame.
I started playing it fresh the other week too.

Good place to early farm is 3-1, those lantern enemies will mess you up but they're easy to take down in a few hits and net like 430 souls. They're kind of few and far between but there's one near the archstone and you can kill it, run back and touch the archstone to teleport "back" to 3-1. Fast loading makes it quick.

4-1 is good too with the skeletons but they can be tough if you're super early.

I used a spell to take out the boss of 2-1, really easy.

I feel like I'm the only one that isn't impressed with the graphics. I thought it looked better once I turned the classic filter on. In quality mode it's pretty impressive but the game feels terrible at 30fps. I honestly think the PS4 version (on a PS5) of ER looks better than Demon's Souls. Come at me bros.

Last edited:
I find Demon's Souls the easiest game in the "series". Maybe it's because I've played it so many times that I know it inside and out.

I think I died maybe two times throughout my first playthrough of Remake (first being generous, as it's basically a 1 to 1 remake).

For comparison, the end boss of Sekiro took me three days of getting my ass handed to me, before it finally clicked.

The stingrays had my number the first time I played the game back in the day, I didn't have the patience to handle them so I would just try to run to the boss.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Rule of thumb: play in soul form and use cling ring.

In soul form dying wouldn't impact the world tendency so it only gets whiter when you defeat bosses, making the game noticeably easier.
Cling ring gives you 25% more health in soul form.

Secondly, consider playing magics. Soul arrow trivialize a lot of challenges in early game. A good portion of the boss fights are more of a puzzle rather than a battle.

Lastly, if you are not ashamed of cheesing like me, the gold coin glitch still works on disc version game. Literally did this last night myself.

BKQiQhR.jpg

Last edited:
Rule of thumb: play in soul form and use cling ring.

In soul form dying wouldn't impact the world tendency so it only gets whiter when you defeat bosses, making the game noticeably easier.
Cling ring gives you 25% more health in soul form.

Secondly, consider playing magics. Soul arrow trivialize a lot of challenges in early game. A good portion of the boss fights are more of a puzzle rather than a battle.

Lastly, if you are not ashamed of cheesing like me, the gold coin glitch still works on disc version game. Literally did this last night myself.

BKQiQhR.jpg
I use cling ring and thief ring, both found in 1-1, the entire game.

Yes, hands down best rings for NG. If play magic build, you can swap thief ring with fragrant ring depending on situations.
Strangely, I've always done a melee build until my latest playthrough. I found a magic build much more difficult, but I'm guessing that's mostly because I was less familiar with the build.

Plus, it's so easy to cheese the moronic AI with bow.

Top Bottom