• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else drive around aimlessly when sad?

Surprise What GIF by what3words

MrMephistoX

When sad plus I just find driving to be therapeutic generally I love being the driver on road trips never a passenger. Thank god for EVs.

Last edited:
When I drive, it's usually with a purpose -- I'm going somewhere, and usually somewhere far.

But I associate non-commute driving only with good things. The feeling of driving late at night, with the radio cranked up and the windows down, feeling the breeze on a warm summer day... That, right there, is heaven.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I live in Los Angeles. I try to avoid driving unless it is absolutely necessary. So no.
Can you even avoid driving in the US? I’m curious if there exist cities with a very well developed public transport.

The other day I started watching Mad Men and was shocked that Draper literally uses park+ride in and out of the city - was this a thing in the 1960s?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Can you even avoid driving in the US? I’m curious if there exist cities with a very well developed public transport.
There are a few.

But in the vast majority of the country if you don't have a car you are kinda fucked.

The other day I started watching Mad Men and was shocked that Draper literally uses park+ride in and out of the city - was this a thing in the 1960s?
Depends where you live. Definitely need a car in LA.

I used to.

but with gas prices these days, no way.

That being said, I won't drive intentionally under the speed limit. You are being a hazard and annoyance to everyone else on the road.

squallheart

Back in the day I used too especially living in the high desert in Cali would enjoy the cruise. I would also bump this song

Pejo

Road trips with a set playlist were something I always used to do to unwind in the past, but with gas costing what it does, it's just not worth it. Sucks too, I just bought myself a Jeep Wrangler that gets piss poor mileage before gas prices skyrocketed. I've been looking forward to taking the top off and doing a day trip sometime.

Azurro

Banned
There are a few.

But in the vast majority of the country if you don't have a car you are kinda fucked.

I honestly don't understand how millions and millions of Americans are able to live like that. Stuck in your house because nearby there are nothing but houses and roads not meant for walking, then when people go outside anyway with a car, there are only parking lots, roads, strip malls, fucking drive thu food and Starbucks. Actually Starbucks is the highlight of those. I went to visit family in the US last year and we had to drive 3 HOURS just to see some event to an actual city and then drove another 3 hours back, on the same day, 2 hours later. Like...wtf is this lifestyle? Wasteful, energy intensive and lonely.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

San Francisco and New York are two cities you can live without a car pretty easily. Besides that I'm not sure.

Star-Lord

With the sky-high price of petrol in the UK at the moment, I can't afford to aimlessly drive around. I need to make every drop count.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I have never lived in city bigger than ~100k, these big cities sound like hell.
As someone who just moved from greater Seattle area to a very small town in Maine, I can confirm that you are correct. Fuck big cities, I'll never live in one again for the rest of my life if I can help it.

For the OP: Yeah OP, I used to do that, I get what you're saying. There's something kind of relaxing about a nice drive, especially at night. Price of gas now.....can't do it anymore, it'd be very irresponsible as I've got a family to take care of, but I only stopped doing that maybe two years ago. It always kind of helped me calm down and center my mind after a fight with the wife or something of the like.

thefool

Not only when I'm sad. I love to drive aimlessly on many different occasions.

Im in Europe btw.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Anyone else like to drive around aimlessly while doing 15 under the speed limit when they’re sad? People’s yelling & honking tends to cheer me up.
Monster.

But I do drive a lot when I’m upset. Fast. And long distance

cormack12

Gold Member
Back in the day I used too especially living in the high desert in Cali would enjoy the cruise. I would also bump this song

I always wondered why this girl was singing about being footwear? And I'm a shoe..........

Driving is my feel good getaway. Windows open, foot down, keeping it just below 100 to avoid auto ban. Good times.

Catphish

When I'm sad, the last fucking thing I want to deal with is traffic.

I prefer a good cry and a nap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom