• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed at XB1's Exclusives last generation?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
When Ryse gets into your top 4 exclusives of the gen you no the consoles had a rough ride.

To be perfectly honest, there wasn't much for me on Xbox One. It was the same as what PlayStation 3 was for me but at a lower quality level. I only had 5 exclusives for PlayStation 3 but they were of higher quality.

1. The Last of Us - 9.5/10, my 2013 goty and gotg
2. Uncharted 2 - 9.5/10, my 2009 goty
3. Uncharted 3 - 9.0/10
4. Uncharted - 8.5/10
5. Dead Nation - 8.0/10

Obviously, PlayStation 3 was better in regards to quality compared to Xbox One. It was truly PS4 that made me a fan of Sony's exclusives outside of Naughty Dog. This is what I see Xbox Series X doing for me this generation while PlayStation 5 will continue where it left off with PlayStation 4 for me.

Romulus

The ps5 will still be massive, but the Xbox can still have better versions of third party games and a bigger lineup of great exclusives.

The better 3rd party lineup isn't a given anymore. And xbox fans have been saying exclusives are coming for 12 years. My PC is ready to play them if they ever show up.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo 5 remains my go to Halo game first because it’s the latest mainline release, and #2 it’s tough for old school halo players to get in, with every 343 game released they act like their necks are covered with someone’s foot.

Camreezie

Sunset Overdrive was good and now Insomniac are at Sony that was a non starter for a franchise. Dead Rising 3 continued the downward spiral of that series. Halo 5 and Gears 4/5 put those series into similar spots.

Forza seemed to be in a good position , Crackdown 3 seemed to be awful. Scalebound didnt even get off the ground. Recore seemed okay. One of the games I enjoyed was D4 and they never even finished it.

Their 360 output and deals with third parties was so much better. Bioshock, Mass Effect and Dead Rising were great gets

Fbh

It wasn't terrible and I think if nothing else they did offer more variety of genres and styles than Sony.

But overall yeah, pretty disappointing. Of the ones that interested me enough to buy I played:
- Quantum Break 7/10
- Gears 4 7/10
- Ori 8/10

I'll Probably buy Master Chief collection and Sunset overdrive the next time they're on sale (though that's mostly older gen games). I'll also give Gears 5 a true when it's like $10.

Other than that most MS exclusives just aren't my style.
I'm looking forward to Avowed, Helblade 2, Fable and all the future ID Software stuff so hopefully their output this gens turns out to be much better.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I was not wowed by many exclusives on either side. For Xbox I enjoyed Ori, Forza 7 and Gears 5. I played Halo 5 for like 2 weeks and was done with it. Crackdown got a good 20 minutes of my time.On PS4, I loved God of War, Ghosts of Tsushima and Bloodborne front to back, but others were just kinda ok to me. Horizon was very good early on, then it just started to lose it's luster as I got further. It became more about "Is it over yet?" rather than "I can't wait to see what's next". Last of Us 2 was fun for what it was, but living in the shadow of it's predecessor...well we all know that take. Spiderman is overrated, I'm sorry...it just is. Web slinging is the best part, but like most Spiderman games, the missions were boring copycat activities and a horde of collectibles. I blame the Witcher 3 for my bias on this. I never played Detroit or Dazyz Gone...just wasn't interested.

Verdict: Sony definitely had better exclusives, no question but I don't really feel disappointed with either consoles exclusives. I guess I just don't put too much stock in exclusives as a whole. A good game is a good game, who cares where it comes from?

Last edited:

HF2014

If it wasent for Forza Horizon serie, i wouldnt be a owner of an XB1. There is really nothing else that get my interest on that console. But Forza games are that good, worth the entry price.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Good split down the middle for stuff I like, gears and forza horizon on Xbox uncharted and spider man on PS4. Also enjoyed stuff like Quantum break and god of war.

Leaned more to the PS4 though.

HF2014

Going to add too that on that console, i really enjoyed Ryse Son of Rome and a bit of Killer Instinct. Fighters are just not my thing anymore.

Bridges

gears tactics literally came this month , dont think its fair to assume its part of xbox one generation to be honest ( it runs like shit on xbox one)
I guess that's fair, I played it months ago on PC but I guess some people would take issue with considering that despite it being first party.

SkylineRKR

Sony really saved the AAA offline single player experience. MS banked on Halo, Forza, Gears yet again.

I love it when I see games like Tsushima and Horizon are smash hits. They have no online (GoT got a free online mode, which is awesome AF, but it wasn't part of the initial product and does not interfere with the SP at all). TLOU 2 had no online either, though it may come. It was almost unthinkable that such projects had a future, let alone such expensive projects. PS360 saw an onslaught of forced co-op, online features and all sort of shit around every corner.

MS probably didn't believe in it, and didn't invest in it. After all, on PS3 the single player games weren't all so succesful. Some of them like Uncharted eventually became a success story. Sucker Punch for example, I don't think Infamous were hugely succesful. They sold, but they didn't sell gangbusters. Yet Sony acquires them and what do they do? They finally create a fucking masterpiece with GoT. And finally, would MS ever invest in something like Last Guardian? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Exclusives I enjoyed during OG Xbox One and One X -
  • Ryse, fuck you it was good fun and looked great. The multiplayer was solid too.
  • Sea of Thieves, Rare is back baby and gone coop/multiplayer with awesome updates through its lifecycle.
  • Ori 1 & 2, great platformers with a ton of atmosphere and execution of mechanics being best in class. Sublime animation and controls.
  • Killer Instinct, super fun in a party chat matching up/spectating, almost got me to drop $300 on a fighstick. Fast and responsive with top shelf netcode and region support.
  • Quantum Break, was very well executed, had a good time with this one.
  • Forza Horizon 4 is brilliant, admittedly just ran with Gamepass version but sooooo well done for a driving game to keep it fresh and open world fun. The presentation layer on this game elevates it to another level.
  • Halo 5, campaign was ok, good in parts. Multiplayer was way too focused on esports. Lack of content took nearly two years to get Firefight, which was brilliant fun. I played quite a lot of Halo 5 though so it was excellent value for money but ultimately fell short.
  • Xbox Fitness (Kinect), this was actually pretty solid with add-ons and supported your form and effort levels quite well. It kept me coming back and add-on workouts to lifting weights. I was sad it was cancelled.
  • Titanfall 1 & 2. Amazing games with supreme region support and 2 had an incredible short and clean campaign effort. The gunplay and sandbox is too good.
  • Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, the gameplay mechanics and responsiveness in this game delivered. My whole family and I enjoyed this game with a number of playthroughs. Inventive and really immersive with its characters, environments and delivered a challenge for the kids.
  • Halo Wars 2 is a fun console RTS, I just couldn't be fucked playing that with a controller. Enjoyed a few multiplayer games with mates but ultimately did not finish the game on Xbox with a controller.
  • Sunset Overdrive is testament to what game publishers and platforms like Xbox and Playstation should invest in. Fresh + Fun + Fast.
Exclusive that I did NOT enjoy -
  • Master Chief Collection, 343 fucked this title so fucking hard it broke an entire community apart. Only now is it becoming what it should have been all along, I'm chalking this up as next gen TBH, it didn't make it for the Xbox One era at all.
  • Gears 5, campaign looks and sounds amazing but I just don't really enjoy the gunplay in this series. Got through about 1/3 story and haven't picked up it up again. I have no interest in Gears multiplayer, never have. Super well made though.
  • Not into zombie games such as State of Decay or Dead Rising.

Last edited:

Esca

I liked ori, horizon, sea of thieves, and sunset overdrive. It was lacking but the ones I liked i really liked

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Exclusive library-wise (even counting the ones that came out on PC, too), it was the most lackluster major console lineup in history. Just pitifully awful.

AJUMP23

Ori was two really amazing and beautiful games.
The Forza series of better during last gen.
Halo5 great multiplayer, I can’t remember the single player.
Gears 5 was a fun ride.
I think most of the first party stuff was pretty good. Sony just produced 3 games that were incredible in God of War, Uncharted, and the Last of Us.

TwiztidElf

I only really enjoyed Forza Horizon 3. Hence no Series X yet and no plans to, and I've bought every console for a lot of generations.
If MS lay down some compelling exclusives I might bite, but I just can't see it happening even with all these great studios. It feels like they have no creativity, and what creativity they do have gets crushed in their corporate culture.
I feel like Halo Infinite proves that they just don't get it, and throwing money at it doesn't change that.

Last edited:

Roberts

It could have been better and more consistent, but I don't think it was a disaster.

Sea of Thieves is one of my absolute favourite games last gen. It is incredible experience together with your friends. It still technically one of the most impressive games and it keeps on getting new content. It is also absolutely unique.

Ori games, especially, the sequel is incredible and are pretty my the best game in the genre. Other indies like Cuphead, Ashen, Operencia are really good.

Forza Horizon 3 and to lesser extent 4 are the best arcade racers in the business. I don't really care about Forza Motorsport games, but they have their fans.

Both Halo Wars are really good strategy games - a genre that is pretty non-existant on consoles.

Gears 5 is an improvement over somewhat lacklustre part 4.

Halo: Master Collection (and to lesser extent Rare Replay) is an incredible value.

I never got into Sunset Overdrive, but people love it. Quantum Break is better than its reputation suggests. Crackdown 3 is like Torque of games and I love me some Torque. Hey, mowing down zombies in Dead Rising 3 was fun too.

State of Decay 2. Got so much better when the Juggernaut Edition came out.

Recore, while hampered by technical issues, is a really good game.

Deep Rock Galactic is awesome. Halo 5 hate is meh and I'm pretty sure I have missed quite a few other games.

When you look at it like this, it doesn't look like a bad list (if you like variety in your gaming).

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Wake

It's the worst generation of console exclusives from Microsoft, without a doubt. We got one Halo game (if you don't count Halo Wars 2), other exclusives were a bit of a let down(Quantum Break and ReCore) and others good but not console seller material (Sunset Overdrive and Ori). If it hadn't been for Forza Horizon 3 and 4 it would have been even worse.

We know why at this point, Spencer's explained the whole thing, but from an exclusive standpoint it's obvious that last gen was a lost gen for Xbox. It had the best console, though, an amazing back compat programme and the birth of a super service life Game Pass. Because of this and the great controller Xbox One still became my primary console of choice (I have PS4 for its exclusives). So it wasn't all bad.

Last edited:

Ascend

To me, last generation as a whole was mediocre. Sure, there were a handful of great games, but, the generation before had a LOT of great games, not just a few.

What Type of thread is this?
What next?
"Was the 3DO M2 a failure?"
"Do does anyone think the PS3 was too difficult to program?"

meech

I really liked Crackdown 3, and there's been some other good stuff here and there like Gears Tactics

Plus some good smaller titles that got torn to shreds despite being fun (Battletoads, Bleeding Edge)

I'm hoping/expecting a big step up this gen, seems impossible to get any worse after buying so many new studios
Ori is also a really good game.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yes, it's a reason I didn't own both consoles. Which was not the case in the previous gen or the one before that.

Their countless fumbles in their software just made me buy more stuff for PC and PS4. And then tried gamepass for a while, and on PC it's kind of not as exciting as console version.

Until they blow me away with some new software, my favorite game this past gen from them was The outer worlds. Gears 5 was a huge fat let down even though it looks amazing and plays well. The grindy nature from 4 and ramping it up in 5 was a huge turn off to keep playing.

Halo 5 looked like ass campaign wise. Forza horizon was the biggest surprise along with killer instinct.

Also titanfall but I played it on pc so .......

They seriously lost me as a interested party, and that sucks as I look at my xb360/og xbox collection.

Hope they can improve but with how they have handled their legacy IP's and studios like 343 I'm not as optimistic on their new studios as many are.

JCK75

I've never been big on Halo or Gears of War.
LOVED the Uncharted games but found TLOU to be just OK.
God of War was my favorite PS4 exclusive

But I just get so much value out of game pass I don't care (and Forza series is just my jam)
I always get all consoles eventually, PS5 I'll grab when it's redesigned, I can't fit it in my EC now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The X1 exclusives line up was one of the worst in history. Sunset Overdrive may very well have been the best of all of them. Titanfall was supposed to be the biggest one, but that game couldn't even cause it to outsell PS4 for a single month.

Such a far cry from the many great exclusives of the 360 era pre-2010.

Eric187

Banned
Yea extremely disappointed. Passed up buying a ps4 for the Xbox one. Liked dead rising 4 and ryse and seemed promising but 4 years later I realized that Microsoft has to evolve and put out better single player story driven content to get my money again. I’ve owned every Xbox and even had a chance to buy a series x but passed on it for this reason. If they were smart they would keep Bethesda off the PS5. That’s the only way they’ll win me back as a consumer.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yea extremely disappointed. Passed up buying a ps4 for the Xbox one. Liked dead rising 4 and ryse and seemed promising but 4 years later I realized that Microsoft has to evolve and put out better single player story driven content to get my money again. I’ve owned every Xbox and even had a chance to buy a series x but passed on it for this reason. If they were smart they would keep Bethesda off the PS5. That’s the only way they’ll win me back as a consumer.

Though that is a reality now with Bethesda being owned by Microsoft. I feel honestly like them buying a giant publisher with very little collaboration in bringing games to fruition before hand to me, seems hollow and a cop-out.

Every studio Nintendo or Sony have obtained made games for them before hand. A lot of which were solely funded by the parent platform holder. Microsoft's contribution to bethesda was i guess in how they marketed games like Elder scrolls.

I think MS took the bill for morrowind. And because of their dev kits being easier, had a good relationship. But honestly I didn't see MS even in those days making giant contributions to getting games created. While Sony and Nintendo retrospectively do that on a yearly basis since forever.

Honestly until a fundimental change at xbox is made in terms of what the brand is I forsee them having issues even with new studios. I say this even if they put out a 90+ metacritic darling I wonder if they even market it well, or find a n audience for it. And then if they game reviews well but doesn't sell or show lots of play metrics through Gamepass, then what?

You think the budget for the next project is going to be bigger?

Honestly until I see something from them, I've basically written them off outside of gamepass being a great value.

Last edited:

Eric187

Banned
Though that is a reality now with Bethesda being owned by Microsoft. I feel honestly like them buying a giant publisher with very little collaboration in bringing games to fruition before hand to me, seems hollow and a cop-out.

Every studio Nintendo or Sony have obtained made games for them before hand. A lot of which were solely funded by the parent platform holder. Microsoft's contribution to bethesda was i guess in how they marketed games like Elder scrolls.

I think MS took the bill for morrowind. And because of their dev kits being easier, had a good relationship. But honestly I didn't see MS even in those days making giant contributions to getting games created. While Sony and Nintendo retrospectively do that on a yearly basis since forever.

Honestly until a fundimental change at xbox is made in terms of what the brand is I forsee them having issues even with new studios. I say this even if they put out a 90+ metacritic darling I wonder if they even market it well, or find a n audience for it. And then if they game reviews well but doesn't sell or show lots of play metrics through Gamepass, then what?

You think the budget for the next project is going to be bigger?

Honestly until I see something from them, I've basically written them off outside of gamepass being a great value.
Yes I agree on all the points you made. The creative and development side of Microsoft seems to be struggling a lot in recent years and I know it’s not a consumer friendly decision in buying zenimax I think desperation played a part in that decision for Microsoft. As great as gamepass is, if Starfield, ES6, or even a new Fallout is exclusive to thier console I will definitely be buying one.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I also loved Sunset Overdrive and thought Forza Horizon games were great. Master Chief Collection, although getting off to a sloppy start, has become a great product and keeps getting improved.

Crackdown 3 and Ryse were both middling at best and ReCore was terrible.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yes I agree on all the points you made. The creative and development side of Microsoft seems to be struggling a lot in recent years and I know it’s not a consumer friendly decision in buying zenimax I think desperation played a part in that decision for Microsoft. As great as gamepass is, if Starfield, ES6, or even a new Fallout is exclusive to thier console I will definitely be buying one.

And with those being on gamepass it wont matter what you play it on. I get it. I just feel the way they are approaching this without having their own sought after software and using already known IP's is kind of a cop-out.

I mean if they had their own new ip's they had developed through multiple collaborations with internal and external studios within bethesda I think I would see the purchase as a more natural decision that developed over time.
But it looks like instead of doing what netflix did and create content that people sign up to gamepass for they are signing up to play Red dead 2, DMC5, monster hunter, and not doom eternal. Thing is about those third party games outside of bethesda titles, they have a time limit when they leave the service.

Netlfix bought series that were not going to get a second chance unless someone bought them. And invested in that, MS just came in with a bag of money and was like we see your having financial troubles we'll buy you.
And honestly I'm glad they bought them and not sega, or square. My issue is MS's out reach in helping getting games made kind of ended with Titanfall. And honestly after not rebooting scalebound and axing fable then to only reboot it under a different developer seems fucked.

I mean Playground seems super talented and they probably will make a great fable game. But lion head studios being closed down, halo infinite, RARE now having issues. I see a continued pattern on brand new projects under Phil's leadership. And that to me shows they have no clue on what xbox is as a brand, and at the core I dont think Microsoft themselves care.
Xbox to them is just another way to be a service like 365. Instead of a platform about art and creativity. ori and cuphead to me are the stand outs in someone being intimate in MS software.

I'm kind of fed up at this point with them. OG XBOX even though it was created to be a intro to MS being in your living room to sell you tv. I feel it had identity similar to the dreamcast. It was the american PC gaming box that was edgy.
Xbox now as a brand feels like a entity that was repositioned to align with enterprise. Which is what fucked it the past gen. leadership trying to turn it into something it was never intended to be. People who gave a shit were basically gone by 360 days.

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

Yup end of 360 Era when the dark times with Kinect started and almost the entire One generation was terrible :/
I miss the old Xbox days. And i miss the days when the game were exclusive to the freaking box. I will never be a fan of this Xbox/PC approach.

It pisses me off that MS isnt doing anything with IPs like Conker, Banjo or Viva Pinata...

Meanwhile Sony still keeps the great Ratchet and Clank duo alive since the PS2 era....

And dont get me started on Halo. The game why i went to Xbox is now a shadow of its former self. And Gears is just a dead IP IMO until they fucking finally move on from the Shotgun wallbounce fest gameplay.

Eric187

Banned
And with those being on gamepass it wont matter what you play it on. I get it. I just feel the way they are approaching this without having their own sought after software and using already known IP's is kind of a cop-out.

I mean if they had their own new ip's they had developed through multiple collaborations with internal and external studios within bethesda I think I would see the purchase as a more natural decision that developed over time.
But it looks like instead of doing what netflix did and create content that people sign up to gamepass for they are signing up to play Red dead 2, DMC5, monster hunter, and not doom eternal. Thing is about those third party games outside of bethesda titles, they have a time limit when they leave the service.

Netlfix bought series that were not going to get a second chance unless someone bought them. And invested in that, MS just came in with a bag of money and was like we see your having financial troubles we'll buy you.
And honestly I'm glad they bought them and not sega, or square. My issue is MS's out reach in helping getting games made kind of ended with Titanfall. And honestly after not rebooting scalebound and axing fable then to only reboot it under a different developer seems fucked.

I mean Playground seems super talented and they probably will make a great fable game. But lion head studios being closed down, halo infinite, RARE now having issues. I see a continued pattern on brand new projects under Phil's leadership. And that to me shows they have no clue on what xbox is as a brand, and at the core I dont think Microsoft themselves care.
Xbox to them is just another way to be a service like 365. Instead of a platform about art and creativity. ori and cuphead to me are the stand outs in someone being intimate in MS software.

I'm kind of fed up at this point with them. OG XBOX even though it was created to be a intro to MS being in your living room to sell you tv. I feel it had identity similar to the dreamcast. It was the american PC gaming box that was edgy.
Xbox now as a brand feels like a entity that was repositioned to align with enterprise. Which is what fucked it the past gen. leadership trying to turn it into something it was never intended to be. People who gave a shit were basically gone by 360 days.
Oh I’m fed up with them too. And I agree that buying up larger companies may be a cop out but the output from internal studios doesn’t seem up to par. Now I can’t tell you who’s to blame for that but seeing Halo Infinite going through development hell tells me it’s on both Phil and those in charge of these projects.

And they are creating new IP’s but these tends to take years to come to fruition. Bethesda is going to be there trump card I think and Starfield will at least be a 6 month or 1 year console exclusive. And yes it’s a quick fix to what seems like a permanent problem but hopefully it helps.

Despite RROD i thought the likes of Ed Fries, J Allard, Peter Moore etc were solid and better than this group that are there now. I find it a bit frustrating as I believe the platform/brand has a ton of potential unrealised.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Despite RROD i thought the likes of Ed Fries, J Allard, Peter Moore etc were solid and better than this group that are there now. I find it a bit frustrating as I believe the platform/brand has a ton of potential unrealised.

Yea those guys knew xbox. Peter moore was a little of a lose cannon, but J Allard, Fries, shamous, were all super into xbox. And it showed with the games that were on the system in the beginning.

Honestly the excitement and passion from xbox seems to corporate controlled for my likings. Say what you want about Sony making moves away from Japan, they still are signing exclusive deals, and funding Japanese games. Come later this year into next your going to see more of that investment.
It will make the early knee jerk reactions from analysts look dumb.

I use to see the potential but now that they are all in on netflix/gaming, im out. Whats that old saying jack of all trades master of none. Thats what Gamepass/Xbox feels like. Nintendo knows their strenghts handhelds. Playstation knows their strengths, AAA big budget games, Art and Creativity.
There's no way XBox would have let a project like Dreams be made. It was started and cancelled 2-3 times.

And from what I've heard has not sold a ton. But yet here we are seeing it on the Game awards and seeing people making cool shit with it.
I just can't get excited for a company that has done a piss poor job at software let alone their legacy stuff.

Look at how Sony treats their legacy titles? Outside of some issues with Parapa the rapper and a couple titles. They have Medievil being good getting a full remaster in unreal engine, Shadow of the collossus, Last guardian, Demon Souls. Thhey collaborated with aCTIVISION TO do something with crash. Now look at crash, it's a hot IP again.
MS literally does nothing, they bring you voodoo vince in a shit state, same with Phantom dust. Yet cancel scalebound, lionhead studios and their early project. They have run Gears almost into the ground, same with Halo.

Yet we have to give them the benefit of the doubt since they bought all these new studios. I feel for people like Ninja Theory. Hope they can make a new king fu chaos or something.

I think MS's whole philosphy on what xbox is does not work or at least resonate. only thing that resonates is " look at all these cheap games on gamepass".

ANd too me thats not compelling. A game service is something you do because there is high demand for " Your software". Something that can not currently be said about xbox.

Kumomeme

i dissapointed that they only kind of has interest to make their own first party game for only short of time before stop caring at all

biggest dissapointment is the cancelled of Scalebound.

Ceelic21

Neo Member
I got into the Xbox generation late at the tail end of the Xbox 360's life cycle. There were some GREAT games on that machine. Fast forward to the end of 2014 and I nab a Xbox One for the Halo Master Chief Collection. Queue the absolute disappointment when multiplayer doesn't work and continues to not work for several years. The machine collected dust for awhile and I'd use it to occasionally play Borderlands (remastered), or a couple of the call of duties. It was overall a very mediocre machine. Not to mention that it was also very weak. Eventually I didn't see a point in keeping it around as my mid-range PC at the time would run circles around it in graphical fidelity and all the games I wanted were on there anyways.

I do see Microsoft having a lot of potential this generation with their investments but I don't see any of that coming to fruition till a couple years from now at least. It will be interesting to watch.

AmuroChan

Yes, especially since the XBox 360 had a huge variety of exclusives. They also had Summer of Arcade where we got gems like Bastion, Shadow Complex, Limbo, Braid, etc.

anothertech

The 30 or 40 kinect2 games they had planned were cancelled. And scalebound... And phantom dust... And ...

Well there's a reason they bought Bethesda... lol.

Null Persp

Xbox dropped the ball last gen, sad!
Xbox 360 was a damn good console then Don Mattrick chased the wrong audience with Kinect.

Top Bottom