• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

anyone do metal detecting as a hobby?

I've always been interested in getting into this hobby. it's basically treasure hunting, which is pretty much the coolest thing you can do.

3kug.gif

I've never jumped into this hobby as I always figured people who do this sort of shit at the beach look like weirdos and losers. I'm getting older so I no longer really care bout looking like a crazy person out in public, so I might give this a go.

anyone partake in his hobby? if so, pls post pics of some of the cool shit you've found and where you found it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My wife and I decided to try this out last year. Bought all the equipment. Then learned that where we live (about a mile from the beach) is the only place in our state that bans metal detecting. So after learning that we would have to drive an hour to get to where we could actually do it, kinda took the wind out of our sails.

Treasure hunting sounds cool in theory but in reality all you're likely to find are bottle caps and old worthless bits of scrap metal.

• LOL
Reactions: Gp1

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How would you know though, you pussied out and didn't even try. Scared of "the man" eh.
You and I both like to pretend that my wife didn't drag me into it after watching 1,000 hours of metal detecting youtube channels.

It starts with the high profile (likely fake) channels where they pull up buckets of gold rings in an afternoon. Then you dig just below the surface and find thousands of channels that "share their hauls" and it's nothing but piles of garbage with the occasional coin thrown in that you'd be lucky to cash in at the bank for face value.

My wife and I decided to try this out last year. Bought all the equipment. Then learned that where we live (about a mile from the beach) is the only place in our state that bans metal detecting. So after learning that we would have to drive an hour to get to where we could actually do it, kinda took the wind out of our sails.

Treasure hunting sounds cool in theory but in reality all you're likely to find are bottle caps and old worthless bits of scrap metal.
wouldn't that mean that you're basically passing on prime real estate? you'd think one of the major issues would be people over searching the same spot. who knows what sort of buried treasures lay hidden beneath those forbidden sands

on a more serious note, I have buddies who do it and have found some cool civil war shit. I live in California though, so I don't expect to find much cool shit. I'd imagine what you find greatly depends on where you live.

Last edited:
You and I both like to pretend that my wife didn't drag me into it after watching 1,000 hours of metal detecting youtube channels.

It starts with the high profile (likely fake) channels where they pull up buckets of gold rings in an afternoon. Then you dig just below the surface and find thousands of channels that "share their hauls" and it's nothing but piles of garbage with the occasional coin thrown in that you'd be lucky to cash in at the bank for face value.

It's probably true. I just hated the thought of my dreams being ruined cause Ive always wanted to try metal detecting and was really hoping I'd go out and within five minutes find some loot. So instead of accepting the reality it was easier to picture you being a pussy and for that I'm sorry.

Last edited:

jshackles

wouldn't that mean that you're basically passing on prime real estate? you'd think one of the major issues would be people over searching the same spot. who knows what sort of buried treasures lay hidden beneath those forbidden sands

on a more serious note, I have buddies who do it and have found some cool civil war shit. I live in California though, so I don't expect to find much cool shit. I'd imagine what you find greatly depends on where you live.
If you want to take on the risk of violating the Title 16 U.S.C. 470 EE Archaeological Resources Protection Act, that's on you.

My guess is that you're not going to find something worth more than the potential $100,000 fine or 5 years in federal prison though.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I've thought about it. I just never got started because I'd first need to identify some state-owned land I want to survey, then secure an archeological permit first from the state department of historical records. People I've spoken to about it says the process can be finicky, and the department is super slow to act.

But maybe soon. It would be nice to mix this into my hikes through a local state park.

1. Gardening
2. Digital Asset industry
3. Mycology

I've always been interested in getting into this hobby. it's basically treasure hunting, which is pretty much the coolest thing you can do.

3kug.gif

I've never jumped into this hobby as I always figured people who do this sort of shit at the beach look like weirdos and losers. I'm getting older so I no longer really care bout looking like a crazy person out in public, so I might give this a go.

anyone partake in his hobby? if so, pls post pics of some of the cool shit you've found and where you found it.

Ive always thought this would be fun, never tried it though. I live in the american south, so its a big hit for civil war relics…any popular public spots im sure have been combed over time and time again though. Youd need access to private land imo. Seems like a nothing burger in the long run. Ive got better things to use my life on. If i was gonna be a treasure hunter ill be looking for sunken ships, mummies, or el dorado, not 150 year old buttons off a racists coat and his musket balls. Alas need the money to fund treasure hunting for years though

Last edited:

DosGamer

My wife got me one like a year ago. She threw a bunch of change in the front yard, and after an hour... I thought I was a fucking boss... pulling in all these coins.

It is a fun hobby, especially if you have a kid or another person to do it with. Never know what you will find in the ground.

Top Bottom