• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone considering an XSX instead of a PS5 after the E3 conference?

ZywyPL

Banned
Do people really limit themselves to just one console out of Choice? Ewww

Despite what you'll read here on Neogaf, 99% of the games are the same, so there's little to no reason to own a second console if you already have one. Some people love a certain (exclusive) franchise and they'll pick a console just for it, but that's a drop in the ocean of the overall market, if you don't have a horse in the race you look at the benefits/drawbacks each console has and base your purchase on that. Last gen was about 399 vs 499, gen before than it was 499 vs 599, this gen it seems it'll be not around the consoles but rather the games and their 70$ vs 10$ prices, this is where the battle will take place this time around I believe and will be the decisive factor for many people.

KAL2006

Banned
If I was a person who plays more than 10 games a year, buys games day 1 often and don't have a massive backlog I would definitely be tempted. But I have a massive backlog, and when I get around to a game I want it's under £15, I also don't have time to play more than 6 games a year. I also play some games that don't launch on Gamepass like Monster Hunter which I play for a very long time which wouldn't save me any money and would have no time to play any other game.

longdi

Banned
Monster list for the rest of the year on Gamepass.

Age of Empires
Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Psychonauts 2
Hades
Flight Sim
The Ascent
Back 4 Blood

Have them both. Honestly, the value Ive gotten out of gamepass is insane. I have a 14 year old who mows through games in a few days, and rather than constantly buying him games, he just pops onto gamepass and sees what he’ll play next. Im sure PS5 will have value in the future as more releases happen, honestly neither console was really necessary over the pro versions of last gen, with how few next gen games there are. Only PS5 game Ive played are demon souls (which I plaued a decade ago on ps3) and returnal which was great but will not be everyones cup of tea. Most of the exclusives they are releasing in the next year come to PS4. So if you had a PS4 pro, I think its totally reasonable to get the series x now, then get a PS5 as well once Sony’s exclusives stop being cross gen.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The Gamepass Ad they've shown as an E3 presentation actually made me reconsider ever getting an Xbox as a third console. That's not the future I want my favourite hobby to go to.
Same here. The heavy push for subscribers just pushes me in the opposite direction

Banjo64

cumsessed
Have them both. Honestly, the value Ive gotten out of gamepass is insane. I have a 14 year old who mows through games in a few days, and rather than constantly buying him games, he just pops onto gamepass and sees what he’ll play next. Im sure PS5 will have value in the future as more releases happen, honestly neither console was really necessary over the pro versions of last gen, with how few next gen games there are. Only PS5 game Ive played are demon souls (which I plaued a decade ago on ps3) and returnal which was great but will not be everyones cup of tea. Most of the exclusives they are releasing in the next year come to PS4. So if you had a PS4 pro, I think its totally reasonable to get the series x now, then get a PS5 as well once Sony’s exclusives stop being cross gen.
Good advice but in my case God of War made my PS4 scream. I dread to think what Horizon and God of War 2 would do to it. Give me a quiet PS5 with higher framerate versions all day.

Ten_Fold

I got the ps5 last November and the series X in January. Right now my main system is the seriesX, I use it for anything 3rd party and media, also gamepass helped me catch up on games I missed. Now my Ps5 is amazing as well, Demon Souls is cool, and I’ve been playing the new guilty gear, but outside of Kena. Nothing else interesting for me this year. I say if you wanna play halo infinite get the series X.

Vol5

Monster list for the rest of the year on Gamepass.

Age of Empires
Horizon 5
Halo Infinite
Psychonauts 2
Hades
Flight Sim
The Ascent
Back 4 Blood
A monster list? I thought only 2 games were actually out and we know for certain they are any good. You can put all the trust you want into GP, but I'm not buying into a service until the quality is assured. Based on the Xbox E3 conference, we saw hardly anything...I'm personally not prepared to give MS the benefit of the doubt; they have consistently under delivered for the last 7 years.

Last edited:

EDMIX

A monster list? I thought only 2 games were actually out and we know for certain they are any good. You can put all the trust you want into GP, but I'm not buying into a service until the quality is assured. Based on the Xbox E3 conference, we saw hardly anything...I'm personally not prepared to give MS the benefit of the doubt; they have consistently under delivered for the last 7 years.
I can see how one would feel that way.

I do feel MS has changed a lot and losing several generations can do that. Maybe they really, really want to give creative control this time and want to be hands off and see where it goes in terms of quality. I simply can't see that MS spent 7 years under delivering (imho longer) and then not do anything to fix that. I feel as shit as those years are, that is the exact reason why I feel maybe this time they mean it.

If they really revert back to the same shit or never really changed, then I'd be pretty pissed. As much as I shit on MS, I feel this time they really do mean to change things. Look at them finally buying up studios to make a complete first party, look at them actually giving creative freedoms. Maybe it is all for Gamepass, but in order for such a thing to work, the quality must still be there and maybe MS saw just how much Sony's teams thrived on that freedom and all the new IP they were able to build in house because of it. I'd like to believe that really is what is happening here, but I also completely understand anyone that feels otherwise. MS has a long, long history of BS lol I tend to feel that some times a publisher will make bold moves to really get sales and try new things.

longdi

Banned

seems good list to me. good games to keep us busy till 2022. stop being picky

longdi

Banned
I think that kind of sums up what Gamepass (and, by extension, MS's first party output) wants to be... the fast food of gaming, don't be picky, just enjoy this huge selection of gratifying, tasty, cheap stuff.
but halo, aoe, flight sim and forza are big titles well loved by many. millions would have paid the $50-60 on day 1, in the past

Last edited:
but halo, aoe, flight sim and forza are big titles well loved by many
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that model either, I mean, McDonalds is an enormous company loved by many too. But I guess the point that many people are making is that Microsoft has delivered a lot of games that rank as like... 6/10s or 7/10s in the last decade, and people aren't going to trust them to suddenly deliver 9/10s constantly until they actually prove it with several hits first.

truth411

All they actually have coming out your typical releases of Halo and Forza this year. Hell Blade 2 is still in pre-production so its not coming out next year, more likely 2024. The next Doom or Elder Scolls will probably be in 2024/2025 and its not like sony is just going to stand still. Im Sticking with just my PS5 and when the price drop for the XSX and they actually have AAA games, then ill scoop one up. It looks like its going to be sometime in 2024/2025 when all their studios will actually be releasing there games on a regular basis. Right now a bunch of AA/Indes and backward compatibility games at 720p 120fps dont interest me.
In anycase Im dont with the Xbox potential arguments because you dont Play potential, you play games. Sony have been delivering consistent AAA bangers in that area since the latter half of the PS3 days, not Microsoft.

longdi

Banned
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that model either, I mean, McDonalds is an enormous company loved by many too. But I guess the point that many people are making is that Microsoft has delivered a lot of games that rank as like... 6/10s or 7/10s in the last decade, and people aren't going to trust them to suddenly deliver 9/10s constantly until they actually prove it with several hits first.

but those are well liked series, on the 8-9s and sometimes 10s ratings.

weird choice to equate them as macdonald quality

Bramble

No. If anything, it cemented the fact I'm not gonna need an Xbox for years to come. The ones that I'm slightly interested in (Stalker 2 for example) are coming to PS5 and I'm not at all interested in the XGS portfolio. I have yet to see some gameplay that actually blows me away.

I'm considering an XSX as a silent companion to my noisy ass coil whining ps5

Have you considered bringing it in for warranty? Mine is completely quiet, so Sony should do something about that.

I think that kind of sums up what Gamepass (and, by extension, MS's first party output) wants to be... the fast food of gaming, don't be picky, just enjoy this huge selection of gratifying, tasty, cheap stuff.
Pretty much. I happen to miss AA games, and this could be the savior of many series. I have Dark Alliance pre-loaded now and get to play it day one tomorrow, which is kind of exciting. I would not have bought that game, but being able to check it out relatively painlessly is a fun model that feels novel for me.

That's what people should expect, and that's a fine thing honestly. But in addition to that, there will be some better quality titles sprinkled in as well less frequently. Halo, FS, Back 4 Blood, Forza, Yakuza LAD. Even one of those higher quality titles basically makes you break even on the service for 4 months if you're paying for it at full price.

Not really. I already have a PS5 and a gaming pc and if I didn't have my pc, I'd be looking into trying to build one instead of hunting down an Xbox Series X.

Now if Splinter Cell Chaos Theory 2 was a thing or like a new Resident Evil/Final Fantasy and they were exclusive on xbox...then we'd have a different conversation.

Neolombax

Game pass is really attractive. Its a potential to have huge savings from third party games, I wont deny that. The problem is microsoft's consoles are not officially launched in this region.

But if we were to rely on first party offerings, I'd still choose a PS5. The only game that is attractive to me from Microsoft latest showing is Halo Infinite multiplayer. Looks like a real fun time.

SirTerry-T

No. Gamepass is of little use to a man with two kids. I barely have the time to play the games I want, so gamepass is of little value to me. I also have a PC, so getting an Xbox is just a waste of money.
I've got three kids and think it's a fine service? There's no right or wrong choice really. People can spend their cash how they please but people being so dismissive of a service because it's offering an alternative to the way we consume our media strikes me as a bit of a luddite attitude.
The XSX is the best option for people to go with what MS is offering, as far as power and practically is concerned.
"The times they are a changin’"...etc.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I've got three kids and think it's a fine service? There's no right or wrong choice really. People can spend their cash how they please but people being so dismissive of a service because it's offering an alternative to the way we consume our media strikes me as a bit of a luddite attitude.
Don't do that what makes me mad is I had to take back a like I literally agree with the majority of your post up until that comment because reading this person's post not even a little bit shows that he is disliking it for being an alternative

Carefully and honestly read his post.

He is a man with two kids and he barely has any times to play games so something like a rental service like Game Pass is of little value to him on top of him owning a gaming PC similar to myself (without the kids) owning a gaming PC for over 20 years in terms of building PCs has made it very difficult to see the reason to ever really own an Xbox and I would argue last generation basically solidified it because Microsoft choice to bring all of their games to PC anyway.

So I understand the perspective.

However I do not dislike the service simply because it's an "alternative" it's completely disrespectful to my opinion cuz it tries to assume my only reason for not liking it is it being different completely disregarding the reasons given. So I think this user is not saying something is wrong with the service or the product or anything like that he is simply stating his personal situation does not see a value in it.

The XSX is the best option for people to go with

Subjective.

I don't see the value in it. I'm sure many might like renting or paying subscriptions for games, but many also don't. Its like saying "Red Box is the best option for people to go with" or "GameFly IS the best option for people to go with". I'm sure many can literally make the argument that you can save hundreds if not thousands by just renting and beating games quickly, but not everyone wants to do that, thus "best option" can't be stated this way.

That is for the user to decide and this is something that differs from person to person. One can't state its the "best option" , simply that its the "best option" for your situation.

Just like it might be the best option for his situation to NOT have Gamepass or a rental service or anything like that.

edit. I gave you a like as I do agree with this "There's no right or wrong choice really".

Last edited:

Monokrom

eefdf5ed523442cfce3a9ab2610a3303.gif

Have you considered bringing it in for warranty? Mine is completely quiet, so Sony should do something about that.

Got a year warranty so I have time. I will probably call Sony and complain. Hopefully they replace it with a more quieter one. I'm so jealous of you guys who have quiet ps5s because it's a really good system. I always get unlucky with new consoles.

Pretty much. I happen to miss AA games, and this could be the savior of many series. I have Dark Alliance pre-loaded now and get to play it day one tomorrow, which is kind of exciting. I would not have bought that game, but being able to check it out relatively painlessly is a fun model that feels novel for me.

That's what people should expect, and that's a fine thing honestly. But in addition to that, there will be some better quality titles sprinkled in as well less frequently. Halo, FS, Back 4 Blood, Forza, Yakuza LAD. Even one of those higher quality titles basically makes you break even on the service for 4 months if you're paying for it at full price.
Absolutely, and I didn't mean any bad by equating it to the fast food of gaming, this model will definitely work and be of value to many people, it is just down to the type of model you want and how much time you have to game. If you have lots of time, Gamepass will be great as they'll throw tons of AA and decent AAA experiences at you constantly (maybe better than decent even, remains to be seen when the first party stuff begins to come into full swing), without paying anything additional on your sub. On the contrast, for people who don't have as much time to game and love AAA polished experiences, buying PlayStation exclusives individually may work better for you.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
How's burn in with OLED today?

I've always been cautious about getting one due to that.
As long as you watch varied content you shouldn't ever have a problem with screen burn. I always keep pixel refresher set to auto along with screen shift on and logo luminance adjustment set to high. Also the latest oleds from LG seem to cover screen burn now.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The best move to me continues to be owning a Playstation for the exclusives and some major third parties, specially for games like FIFA where the online community is much much larger and filled with long time players, and then later in the generation it makes sense to buy a Xbox, subscribe to gamepass and play all those Xbox heavy hitters that will be readily available on it at such time. Makes no sense to me to have a subscription as some sort of investment and play the waiting game while the months and years roll by, might as well wait for the end of 23'/24' and get instant access to those games people are waiting for, as the console will be available on the cheap by then.

Liamario

Banned
The XSX is the best option for people to go with what MS is offering, as far as power and practically is concerned.
"The times they are a changin’"...etc.
I'm not dismissing the service. It's a great service for the right person. That person isn't me.

I might; tbh I have not decided on either console yet but I'm looking into getting at least one of them by end of the year, after I upgrade/replace my computer equipment (and yes I know I could technically use that for current-gen gaming but I'm not upgrading to THAT type of performance for one, secondly this one is more strictly for work and maybe some emulation on the weekends).

I've been keeping an eye on software releases for both PS5 and the Series systems for this year and what has either been announced for 2022 or can be inferred (such as GoW: Ragnarok). Right now if I were to list what games are driving interest of each to me I'd get:

[PS5]

-Rachet & Clank Rift Apart: Already out and a visual showcase; seems fun though I've also been hearing the rift-ripping mechanic was overhyped as it's barely used outside of some few fixed points over the course of the game, most of which are in the beginning? Also gameplay-wise sounds like it's more or less the same thing with Rachet or Rivet instead of the two having very unique play styles, weapon sets etc. (something I assumed would've been the case).

-Horizon Forbidden West: Most likely coming by the end of the year. Really liked what was shown at the SoP.

-Simu: Looks like a fun and inventive indie brawler. However, I think it will be a multiplat after at least some small period of timed exclusivity, IIRC.

-Kena Bridge of Spirits: Beautiful looking game, comes out in August. However, it's also a timed exclusive meaning it'll be on other platform (Xbox & PC) probably after six months.

-Gran Turismo 7: Still looking forward to this one though tbh Forza Horizon 5 has pegged it further down my list, and the next Motorsport might do so even more. Also doesn't help it got delayed :/.

-Deathloop: We all know the story behind this and Ghostwire, and I'm looking forward to them. However, it's just a timed exclusive and it's not necessarily a game I feel I need to play Day 1.

-Final Fantasy XVI: TBH I'm not the biggest Final Fantasy fan, and the footage shown back in September looked pretty rough in a lot of spots, so I'm waiting until they show more to see if it's a game I would be interested in playing.

-Forespoken: Looking forward to it more than FF XVI atm, what's been shown so far looks pretty good. Although it's a timed exclusive, it's a long enough window to where it practically feels like a platform exclusive, so if I were to pass on it until it came to other platforms, I might miss the window to actually have time to enjoy it without newer games eating away at its attention.

-Street Fighter 6: Although financially speaking there isn't a reason for this to be a platform exclusive (it's not like Capcom is hurting for revenue like they were back in the early-mid 2010s), and I'm rather confident it'll be a multiplatform release, in the off-chance it's a PlayStation exclusive again that could sway me to go PS5 first, considering every other fighter not Smash is also certainly coming to the platform.

Of course, SF6 needs to prove it can launch in an acceptable condition; if it's got shit netcode again, barely-present single-player content (we never got a Cinematic Story Mode Season 2 :messenger_angry: ), a story that doesn't move things forward in the timeline in a genuine way and further dumbed-down game mechanics, I can VERY comfortably skip it, even if I love seeing Chun, Karin, Cammy etc. looking super sexy in dat 3D.

-Psychonauts 2: This is multiplat from Day 1 and I'd like to play it on PS5 to see what Dualsense features are integrated, but I don't think any mention's been made, because there is no native PS5 version and very likely never will be. So without Dualsense or a native port, this wouldn't be the best way to play the game IMHO.

...and I'm not a massive God of War fan so while I'm open to Ragnarok, it's not a driving factor for me sight unseen.

[SERIES X]

-Starfield:
It was just a trailer and didn't detail too much on the game design itself, but I am a sucker for space sci-fi with aliens and exploration involved. One of my most anticipated 2022 releases.

-Forza Horizon 5: Looks like it'll be the best racing game on the market at least for a little while, and it's visually stunning to boot. Something I'd definitely be up to playing in the Fall.

-Halo Infinite: Seems to be in much better shape versus last year, though I still have unanswered questions regarding the single-player campaign. Looks like a fun game MP-wise you could pop in for an hour for every day or so and get a lot out of, so it could be a good complement for busy schedules.

-Psychonauts 2: Again, multiplat, but seems like the best places to play it would be Series X and PC.

-Replaced: IMO was the best-looking 2D-style game at the event, definitely looks ambitious for what it is. I'm interested.

-STALKER 2: Looks really cool and fun; it's a 3-month timed exclusive and there's probably a good chance the PS5 version will have Dualsense features added which could be neat, and that version would be available by middle of Summer (unless MS extends the exclusivity period). Probably won't be a lot of releases happening at that time so technically I could hold off until then, but at the same time there may not be much else going on in April either so it'd be really good to play it on Series X around that time.

-FS 2020: I consider this more of a simulator (because it is), but it's been one I've been wanting to try since last year. For convenience factor the Series systems seem like the best place to jump in, and the expanded content for accessibility looks helpful. The DLC is also looking like it should be fun.

-Redfall: This one's a curiosity for me, and the studio behind it is very consistent with their quality. Just hoping the CW influences don't extend into the writing :LOL:

-Plague's Tale Requiem: Follow-up to very well-received original release, the teaser trailer looked great and I'm expecting it to be a visual showpiece like the original was. Technically multi-plat, but GamePass Day 1 leans me in that direction.

-Forza Motorsport 8: Generally regarded as the better racing simulator and has been for a while now, it'll also be current-gen only with a new/upgraded engine so very strong chance it'll look even better than FH5. It's supposed to be coming next year, I'm hoping they can stick to that date.

------

So in other words, roughly ten games each on both systems, with some being either multiplats outright or timed exclusives that'll make it to the other in a few months (aside FFXVI and Forespoken). However, now the question comes: what is the balance of story-driven campaign games I can sink time into (but might not play again afterwards) to games with some single-player/multi-player mix of content having a somewhat more pick-up-and-play element with game mechanics, play loops and communities I can play with sporadically over long periods of time, offering tons of replay value that way?

On that front, from the games I've listed I'm personally most looking towards for the 2021-2022 period (that have been confirmed), I think Series does a better job of it. The one area MP-wise Sony looks they'll have an edge in could be fighting games; even if something like SF6 isn't exclusive, they will still get all the fighters that aren't Smash Bros., and now that they co-own EVO they will probably push for marketing deals with many of those games. At the same time though, almost all of those fighters also come to Xbox and with crossplay playing a bigger role this gen (it definitely will for fighters considering how niche the genre is and how much they thrive on active online communities), I would be content with that as a fighter machine.

Single-player wise it does still look like Sony holds the edge there from the games I mentioned, but only two of those are actually full exclusives. So the question for me becomes how much do I care about the universe of R&C and Horizon to buy a PS5 this holiday? And does that overpower my desire to dig into Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, and FS 2020? Honestly, I don't think it does.

And then of course there's the ecosystem value argument, which basically boils down to GamePass vs. PS Plus/PS Now (and the PS Collection). I don't quite enjoy the prospect of dropping $70 on new AAA releases, although there are many ways a game can justify it for me. Then again, $180 for GamePass Ultimate is a decent amount of change on its own (there are the 3-month offers though), and PS Plus's been getting some good monthly additions (like this month with VF5 Ultimate Showdown). The PS Collection does help nudge some of my attention towards PS5 but it's also pretty evident that quite a few more of those PS4 games will be going to PC sooner or later. Would I have an issue paying for some of those on PC? No. But seeing they are all there as long as I have PS Plus is a strong offer.

Then again, so is a strong offer in all 1P Xbox games going to GamePass Day 1. I think every game I mentioned I was looking forward to on the Xbox side is a Day 1 GamePass title. That's actually kind of wild to think about, and I can't say the same for any of the PS5 titles I mentioned getting Day 1 equivalents in PS Now or PS Plus. And I think that's where the fiscal value of GamePass really starts to kick in, plus there are other games in it I would be interested to play like The Lake and Generation Rex, even if they are multiplat (I don't know if those two are, just saying as an example).

Another thing I'm looking as is, when I look at the list of games for PS Collection, there's maybe about 4-5 games there I'd actually be wanting to play, that can only really be played on PlayStation, that aren't getting ports anytime soon or don't have a superior way to play them on Xbox Series (due to how it handles BC). The only notable benefit in that regard then, would be that the PS Collection games come with the PS Plus subscription, whereas I'm not 100% if all of the games outside of the alluded-to 4-5 are in the GamePass catalogue (I'd have to check).

So yeah; there is a lot on both platforms worth looking into IMHO, but ATM I am leaning towards getting a Series X first and picking up a PS5 sometime in 2022. Either way, I'm intending to buy both so I won't be missing out on anything, it's just a matter of the order at this point and right now Series X, for me, is first in the query.

Even so, that could change depending on any surprise big announcements for PS5 releases rest of 2021 and for 2022; anything beyond that isn't as big a factor for me in either system because I know they're going to have a lot of stuff coming 2023 and onward. By some odd chance I only have one of the two by that point, I could just buy the other system around then.

Except over 70% of the games there have Metacritic scores of 75 or higher (45% 80 MC or higher). Only roughly 13% - 14% of the games in GamePass rank lower than the lowest-ranked game in PS Collection (Days Gone).

Sounds like it's pretty well curated TBH; if you want to talk "fast food of gaming", look at the Nintendo Switch eShop, where there's virtually ZERO content curation.

I honestly think people have this misguided perception of GP out of sheer ignorance or no desire to do a quick look for themselves, and it just "sounds good" to them to say :/

Comparatively, as a quick look PS Collection only has two games higher ranked than anything in GP: GoW and TLOU Remastered, and they're only two points higher at best. It would be a lot harder to get an average for things through PS Plus (and on that note, would also have to throw in Games with Gold for Xbox), but IMHO I don't expect that ratio to be much any higher than GamePass's; it could actually be lower.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'm not questioning the value of GS. It's totally worth it's price many times over and I'm sure you will have lots of fun with the games you mentioned.

However, my time is limited, MS could expand that list five times over and I would still only have time to play a handful of them. With that in mind I would rather pay full price for 5 games a year that gives me an exceptional experience rather than subscribe and get 50 decent games a year, of which I will only play a few. Does that make sense?

I'm not trying to be a dick, we all have our preferences and unique situations but I really dislike the idea of 'Netflix of gaming'. I'm rarely subscribed to PS Plus and don't care about the "free" games (they're not free). I wouldn't subscribe to an expanded Plus-Sony Gamepass either, just to make things clear.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I don't spend a whole lot of time playing games. I am picky about the games I invest time in. I'd rather spend a little extra on the few games I am really interested in, rather than get access to a huge library of games. I actually think that would be detrimental to me, because it would probably cause me to spend more of my time on gaming than I really want to. I'm not anti-GP (or anti PS Now), but I don't think they are a good fit for me. I'd rather focus on the few games I want to play and forget about the rest, even if it costs me a few extra bucks.

Josemayuste

Maybe at the end of the generation, when it'll be cheaper, and when (probably) all first party games announced will be on gamepass, them I'll get some months of it to play them.
Them I'll get some months now and them to play something that catch my interest.
But the PS5 will be my main console through the generation.

That's a great option, one that I have in mind too, as I already have got a PS5, but I don't want to miss ID, Arkane, or Bethesda games.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
How's burn in with OLED today?

I've always been cautious about getting one due to that.

It’s my first OLED, my previous TVs have all been Samsung LEDs.

One, glad I made the jump, it’s constrast and IQ with the perfect blacks is mind blowing. And although OLEDs are inherently less bright than LEDs, if you’re upgrading from an older 4K model like I did, and not like last years super bright LED TVs then mordern OLEDs are in fact brighter not wise, and are perceived as even brighter because of the contrast.

on the note of burn in, I did a ton of research. (Couple hundred hours of TV scouting, reading, and watching experts discuss, as well as talking to around 5 different professionals on the matter for lengthy sessions) and it seems it’s not a big issue these days as long as you aren’t trying to abuse the TV. The LGs have built in tech, like shuffling the pixels slightly all the time, and lowering the brightness of static images like HUDs to combat this. And also art modes and screen savers if you fall asleep or something. I still hear about temporary image retention in a few circumstances, but actual burn in is super rare.
If you want peace of mind, the Best Buy warranty covers burn in. But after my research I felt confident getting it from Costco and just not really worrying about burn in.

All that said I myself am not a professional, but did my due diligence in researching a ton before I purchased it. I’m comfortable with the burn in prevention tech built into the LGs.

supernova8

Banned
I'm genuinely considering an Xbox Series S, though. Series S and a subscription to Game Pass until I can get my hands on a PS5. At that point I can just cancel Game Pass and then restart it whenever there's nothing to play on PS5. Seems like a logical thing to do and gives me access to more or less all of the games. Sure I cannot play in flashy 4K 120 but there's nothing out on Xbox that looks mindbogglingly good right now (or even in the near future) anyway.

JoeBudden

I'll probably get an XSX in a couple years once MS fleshes out a nice library of exclusives. They need to prove they can produce bangers before I commit.

Halo was the main title that interested me and it's going F2P and launching on PC, so I'll just play it there. Forza looks amazing but I can live without it. I couldn't care less about games like Psychonauts 2 and Flight Simulator.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Im a playstation guy, love the games and the platform but this covid next gen hasnt hyped me as much. Even when announced, I really didnt get the XSX appeal with its gamepass. I chose my platform based on the games I have most connection with. Im not gonna lie, I do wish some titles were on PS like Forza Horizon, Gears of War, Flight Simulator etc. And then the E3 show happened and at the end of almost every single trailer: "Day one gamepass". And considering how often I see GP on discounts I was like wait...I can play all these new games, day one if I wanted with a single subscription of under $100 a year (taking advantage of discounted GP). And on the other side I have to think if I want to part with $70 for each game on PS5. Sure, ill miss out on the big exclusives from PS but I never said I wont buy it later as well.

Im at a similar spot where as playstation fan I bought an xbox360 first and then a PS3 when the slim version came out because at the time it was just a better purchase and took awhile for those exclusives to pile up. Now I feel like im in the same spot, that maybe ill go for XSX first and get a PS5Pro or slim later. This time being because I get the appeal of gamepass. Its a financial decision but I also play a shit ton of third parties. And not gonna lie, even Halo Infinite got me interested again. Not to mention I can find XsX way easier than a PS5 atm. Anyone else in a similar boat?

TLTR:
Maybe known to many but I just realized that gamepass offers day one releases as well. Thats insane money saved. Especially on third party. Once that sunk in, now I see where MS is going with this. Of course ill get the PS5 but it wont be before XSX.

Nope

Top Bottom