• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone considering an XSX instead of a PS5 after the E3 conference?

Markio128

I think the answer to that question will be far easier for some once Sony has revealed their next phase of games. I have a feeling that some announcements are not too far off.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I think the PS5 is worth it right now if you want to play Demon Souls, Returnal and Ratchet and then you have Astrobot packed in which ive heard great things about too. Also if you are super into FF7 Remake the PS5 version with DLC just came out again but I would say its borderline even at that point for right now. Also worth it if you didnt play much PS4 for that PS+ collection and the last few years of releases like Last of US 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima.

Series X I have no clue why anyone would want one until Halo/Forza are out, if interested in those, or you didnt play anything XBOX last gen that you wanted to play although I honestly cant think of a ton of things other than older Halo/Forza/Gears and maybe the odd title here and there maybe. Right now on Series X there is the Medium but that is also coming to PS5 in September. Other titles I can think of are Psychonauts 2, Flight Sim before Forza/Halo are out

Right now I would say Starfield would be the thing I would most consider getting a Series X for assuming I couldnt have a very good computer built by then, followed by possibly Halo MP, and Fable, and things a bit further.

In your situation seems like you are set for a bit anyway if you were already in both consoles last gen.
Those aren't worth it for me. I am not into final fantasy series. I have the OG ff7 on my x1s, but I dont play it. And I have the remake for ps4 from ps+.

XSX is great for gamepass, while the ps5 has the ps+ titles, and old ps+ library which you claimed in the past.

I am looking for the bigger pictures. Demon souls is useless to me, since I don't even play my dark souls 3. Ratchet same, since I didn't play the free Ratchet. Returnal is interesting, but its not system selling for me.

I need bigger guns. God of war 2 or spiderman 2 can make me buy it.

The XSX would depend on starfield. Once that drops, that is a guaranteed XSS for me (don't like how XSX looks).

I'm not sold on the idea of Gamepass, actually I really dislike it. It has quantity over quality written all over it and I'm interested in how this model will play out in the long run.

It seems some fans are so blinded by how little they're paying, that's all great but at what expense? When was the last time you got games like The Last of Us, God of War, Horizon, Spiderman or Ghost of Tsushima?
The reason Game Pass works is because of Microsoft DEEP AF pockets. Also, yes, not everything on Game Pass is gonna be a winner, but to say it's quantity over quality is being disingenuous. There's plenty to play and coming soon. Like...

• The entire Bethesda lineup
  • Psychonaughts 2
  • The Ascent
  • Back4Blood
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2
  • Ori
  • Wasteland 3
  • lots of EA titles
  • Yakuza series
  • Octopath Traveler

As you see, plenty of killer things to play on Game Pass, and once Xbox first-party kicks into high gear, things will get interesting. Hopefully they can finally deliver titles on the same level as Sony. I say this as a gamer that historically bleeds PlayStation. I want each company to compete and succeed in their own ways. So far, Sony holds the first-party high ground, while Xbox offers fantastic value through Game Pass. Time will tell if team green can finally step up their first-party game.

Like I said, I bleed PlayStation ever since I was a kid in the 90's, so I'm saying this without being some crazed Xbox fanboy. Okay, so, the only reason why Sony diehard balk at Game Pass is due to them thinking Sony can't possibly compete on that level because they don't have the deep pockets for it. Whether that's true, or not, is up for debate. What is true though, is the feeling of overpaying for games that are available day one on Game Pass. It's really simple as that.

Also, there's no evidence to suggest the existence of Game Pass somehow hinders first-party development.

Side note: I really want a PS5 and Sony needs to get their shit together on VRR.

.....I actually sold my Series X after E3. I didn't see anything I'd sink time into. Gamepass isn't a selling point to me since the games are either mediocre or old.

2BALvKW.gif

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
.....I actually sold my Series X after E3. I didn't see anything I'd sink time into. Gamepass isn't a selling point to me since the games are either mediocre or old.
It’s funny that you put it that way. I bought the Series X knowing the games will come that will make it worth it for me to have the X which I bought after the PS5. I added Gamepass which was part of a GameStop bundle and though I knew the value was there, I wasnt really into the games on there.

After E3, I upped my sub through 2022 holiday season and just bought the expansion card. Yakuza series including the latest one, Back 4 Blood, Flight Simulator, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, …etc.
To me, these are not old or boring.

MScarpa

Nope, PC+PS5 is the way to go. Best way to play Xbox games plus don't miss out on the Playstation exclusives that may not make their way to PC.
If you can afford a GPU. It's more cost effective to just buy a series X, but i know alot of people here would never give MS money.

bosnianpie

The reason Game Pass works is because of Microsoft DEEP AF pockets. Also, yes, not everything on Game Pass is gonna be a winner, but to say it's quantity over quality is being disingenuous. There's plenty to play and coming soon. Like...

• The entire Bethesda lineup
  • Psychonaughts 2
  • The Ascent
  • Back4Blood
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2
  • Ori
  • Wasteland 3
  • lots of EA titles
  • Yakuza series
  • Octopath Traveler

As you see, plenty of killer things to play on Game Pass, and once Xbox first-party kicks into high gear, things will get interesting. Hopefully they can finally deliver titles on the same level as Sony. I say this as a gamer that historically bleeds PlayStation. I want each company to compete and succeed in their own ways. So far, Sony holds the first-party high ground, while Xbox offers fantastic value through Game Pass. Time will tell if team green can finally step up their first-party game.

Like I said, I bleed PlayStation ever since I was a kid in the 90's, so I'm saying this without being some crazed Xbox fanboy. Okay, so, the only reason why Sony diehard balk at Game Pass is due to them thinking Sony can't possibly compete on that level because they don't have the deep pockets for it. Whether that's true, or not, is up for debate. What is true though, is the feeling of overpaying for games that are available day one on Game Pass. It's really simple as that.

Also, there's no evidence to suggest the existence of Game Pass somehow hinders first-party development.

Side note: I really want a PS5 and Sony needs to get their shit together on VRR.

I'm not questioning the value of GS. It's totally worth it's price many times over and I'm sure you will have lots of fun with the games you mentioned.

However, my time is limited, MS could expand that list five times over and I would still only have time to play a handful of them. With that in mind I would rather pay full price for 5 games a year that gives me an exceptional experience rather than subscribe and get 50 decent games a year, of which I will only play a few. Does that make sense?

I'm not trying to be a dick, we all have our preferences and unique situations but I really dislike the idea of 'Netflix of gaming'. I'm rarely subscribed to PS Plus and don't care about the "free" games (they're not free). I wouldn't subscribe to an expanded Plus-Sony Gamepass either, just to make things clear.

b0uncyfr0

I was gonna upgrade my PC now but i skipped that (Waiting for AM5 and DDR5). I bought a XSX 3 days ago, and got 3 month's of gamepass ultimate for a buck. So far im having a blast with Forza, Gears, RDR online, Fifa, Yakuza and some older titles i missed (Nier, Dishonoured). For a buck, it's pretty awesome.

Buhaj

I understand there's a value in GP, but all the advocates also seem to have difficulty understanding it doesn't appeal to people that want specific games. For example, here's a list of games that I played or intend to play this year:
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Spiderman Miles Morales
  • Wreckfest
  • Mafia DE
  • Mafia 2 remaster
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • AC: Valhalla
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Battlefield 2042
How many of those will I find on GP, except of Wreckfest where i unlocked everything before it came to GP? I'm not interested in indie games (Goose was rare exception) or sci-fi shooters. I'm sure there are many players like me that don't find 3 or 4 too quality games on GP right now that encouraging.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

Im a playstation guy, love the games and the platform but this covid next gen hasnt hyped me as much. Even when announced, I really didnt get the XSX appeal with its gamepass. I chose my platform based on the games I have most connection with. Im not gonna lie, I do wish some titles were on PS like Forza Horizon, Gears of War, Flight Simulator etc. And then the E3 show happened and at the end of almost every single trailer: "Day one gamepass". And considering how often I see GP on discounts I was like wait...I can play all these new games, day one if I wanted with a single subscription of under $100 a year (taking advantage of discounted GP). And on the other side I have to think if I want to part with $70 for each game on PS5. Sure, ill miss out on the big exclusives from PS but I never said I wont buy it later as well.

Im at a similar spot where as playstation fan I bought an xbox360 first and then a PS3 when the slim version came out because at the time it was just a better purchase and took awhile for those exclusives to pile up. Now I feel like im in the same spot, that maybe ill go for XSX first and get a PS5Pro or slim later. This time being because I get the appeal of gamepass. Its a financial decision but I also play a shit ton of third parties. And not gonna lie, even Halo Infinite got me interested again. Not to mention I can find XsX way easier than a PS5 atm. Anyone else in a similar boat?

TLTR:
Maybe known to many but I just realized that gamepass offers day one releases as well. Thats insane money saved. Especially on third party. Once that sunk in, now I see where MS is going with this. Of course ill get the PS5 but it wont be before XSX.
Yes.

And many like you in the coming years.

The perception of xbox is changing.

Jimmy_liv

If you are considering switching after that conference then you should have switched a long time ago. The next big releases are MS Flight Sim. Forza and Halo. I don't mean that as a knock against Microsoft. Just pointing out that it is a traditional release year for their console and if those titles excite you now they should have before.
I love my XSX and use it almost everyday - (right now I've got R&C sat in my PS5 drive but can't stop playing Dragon Q Builders 2 which I got on Gamepass.)

But, I agree here. Next year things might change but this year's big 1p offerings are similar to their traditional cycles.

I'm looking forward to Hades on gamepass having said that.

MCplayer

See it like this, playstation games have better story, xbox games have better multiplayer, between both I think xbox as more replayability, good campaigns I play it like 3 times and then they are just wasting space in my disk drive. On xbox I get addicted to forza, halo and gears of war multiplayer everytime, not to mention better online service overall, I see Playstation more as a offline console, the only playstation game I see that is having online sucess in gran turismo and thats about it

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
The Gamepass Ad they've shown as an E3 presentation actually made me reconsider ever getting an Xbox as a third console. That's not the future I want my favourite hobby to go to.

jhjfss

The Gamepass Ad they've shown as an E3 presentation actually made me reconsider ever getting an Xbox as a third console. That's not the future I want my favourite hobby to go to.
Well, that's definitely the future i want my favourite hobby to go to. Bring it on , Phil Spencer! load em up with even more games.

RGB'D

Not understanding the logic. What compelled you before that E3 made you want to sell it? Maybe an FOMO Impulse? Just literally can't understand why you would have actually spent the 500 MSRP on it before because nothing changed with regard to previous announcements and they only announced more stuff..

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
I sold my PS5 and bought a XsX straight after the Bethesda buy out announcement. I think the combination of GP value, day one exclusives that I'm very hyped for (Perfect Dark reboot) among many others just did it for me.

I think the future is insane for MS, coming from a PS5 where I was buying games for £60-£70 a piece to GP was just a game changer for me. After E3 I already have Hades, MS Flight Simulator and Forza Horizon 5 on pre load ready to go.

But its not just about GP either. Its also about the amazing backwards compact too. +FPS boost means I'm playing games made for 30fps like Alien Isolation at 60fps. Never underestimate how big of a deal that is.

Sony isn't offering those things. I don't regret switching at all and this years E3 just made that decision even better.

Last edited:
OP, This is a PlayStation land. They wont change their mind, even if the universe is ending.
No Way Abandon Thread GIF
yep this forum is full of ps fanboys.

I understand there's a value in GP, but all the advocates also seem to have difficulty understanding it doesn't appeal to people that want specific games. For example, here's a list of games that I played or intend to play this year:
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Wreckfest
  • Mafia DE
  • Mafia 2 remaster
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Battlefield 2042
How many of those will I find on GP, except of Wreckfest where i unlocked everything before it came to GP? I'm not interested in indie games (Goose was rare exception) or sci-fi shooters. I'm sure there are many players like me that don't find 3 or 4 too quality games on GP right now that encouraging.
i guess it's personal preference then. 2 of those games i want to play. there's actually a load of games on GP i'd play.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Wreckfest
  • Mafia DE
  • Mafia 2 remaster
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Battlefield 2042
I think you still have no idea what is on gamepass.

I am the opposite as you. I have no interest in the list that you showed, despite me owning ghost of Tsushima, wreckfest, and most of these titles.

I think the benefit of it, is to try for new experiences. Don't try to hold yourself. You might find new things, you might like. I dont like yakuza games. I gave like a dragon a chance. Story seems nice. Gonna play it few more, to see if I like it or not.

you don’t have to use GP if you own an Xbox, you still buy the games

Derktron

Banned
Nope, I want both consoles because both consoles will offer more, I got tired of waiting and got a Series X but I also want a PS5 as well and since that is really hard to find, I got really lucky with the Series X

Derktron

Banned
And that is okay, that is why you have options like PC.

I am not really sure what moron or idiot would consider one over the other. Both are amazing, and if you love gaming you will own both for variety of different reasons. Very plain and simple.

reksveks

I have a PS5 and a gaming pc. Why should I buy an xbox? I would upgrade my 1060 instead
I don't how many times I have to repeat this, their offering for people with gaming pc isn't the console, it's gamepass for pc.

Whether that is a smart move, who knows. Whether gamepass for pc is a good enough value for you, is upto you.

ksdixon

I have an XBSX due to PS5's shit messaging surrounding backwards compatability, ps5 next-gen upgrades, cross gen titles with 80% still being held back on ps4...

In terms of XB itself, meh. GP is a 1 dip rental service, and I rarely find quality amongst the quantity. If I wasn't for retail retroarch, XB would get even less play time.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I’ll get an XSX for the features and because I’m so invested in the EcoSystem (I own around 400 digital games across various Xbox systems). But the games won’t be a deciding factor for another few years - Sony came out of the gate SWINGING with Demons Souls, Returnal, and Ratchet. In two years we’ll revisit this discussion and things may have changed by then.

TL;DR - Xbox isn’t there yet.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Gamepass is just not appealing to me at all. I don't want unlimited games. I already have more than enough games. My backlog is already chock full. And frankly, I don't need any more subscriptions. Let alone 3(PSN, XBL and GP).

Sony's giving me new high quality PS5 games which are blowing my socks off RIGHT NOW. They've proven to make the kinds of games I like. And I'm gonna be getting amazing games for an entire generation.

Last edited:

LMJ

Gamepass is a great deal (even if its fans are starting to sound a bit cult-ish) but I will get a XseX later on when it's library becomes a must have, but alas we are not there yet.

Dance Flowers GIF by A24

Seriously some of you worship GP lol

A new Halo and Forza are great, but it is also what's expected of the Box brand at this point, honestly the most exciting things I saw at the conference were mostly multi plat, and while Flight Sim. looks incredible, it's still a flight sim and thus I anticipate many returned games as people simply will be expecting something more "arcadey" but who know I could be wrong...

That said yeah I still will wait even if Starfield looks cool, lets see Hellblade 2, Avowed and Fable and then maybe I'll jump sooner

EDMIX

It an LG C1 OLED 77”. Amazing TV. It has 4 HDMI 2.1 ports, Gsync, Freesync, VRR, ALLM, Dolby Vision 120hz gaming, and a built in game optimizer. Highly recommend.

Respect.

Gamepass is just not appealing to me at all. I don't want unlimited games. I already have more than enough games. My backlog is already chock full. And frankly, I don't need any more subscriptions. Let alone 3(PSN, XBL and GP).

Sony's giving me new high quality PS5 games which are blowing my socks off RIGHT NOW. They've proven to make the kinds of games I like. And I'm gonna be getting amazing games for an entire generation.

Thats how I see a lot of this. I get some people like renting their games or streaming etc, I have no plans for any of that.

@SteveWorks Thats the best combo imho. I have no plans to likely ever get a XB.

Last edited:
Top Bottom