• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone considering an XSX instead of a PS5 after the E3 conference?

Im a playstation guy, love the games and the platform but this covid next gen hasnt hyped me as much. Even when announced, I really didnt get the XSX appeal with its gamepass. I chose my platform based on the games I have most connection with. Im not gonna lie, I do wish some titles were on PS like Forza Horizon, Gears of War, Flight Simulator etc. And then the E3 show happened and at the end of almost every single trailer: "Day one gamepass". And considering how often I see GP on discounts I was like wait...I can play all these new games, day one if I wanted with a single subscription of under $100 a year (taking advantage of discounted GP). And on the other side I have to think if I want to part with $70 for each game on PS5. Sure, ill miss out on the big exclusives from PS but I never said I wont buy it later as well.

Im at a similar spot where as playstation fan I bought an xbox360 first and then a PS3 when the slim version came out because at the time it was just a better purchase and took awhile for those exclusives to pile up. Now I feel like im in the same spot, that maybe ill go for XSX first and get a PS5Pro or slim later. This time being because I get the appeal of gamepass. Its a financial decision but I also play a shit ton of third parties. And not gonna lie, even Halo Infinite got me interested again. Not to mention I can find XsX way easier than a PS5 atm. Anyone else in a similar boat?

TLTR:
Maybe known to many but I just realized that gamepass offers day one releases as well. Thats insane money saved. Especially on third party. Once that sunk in, now I see where MS is going with this. Of course ill get the PS5 but it wont be before XSX.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
If you are considering switching after that conference then you should have switched a long time ago. The next big releases are MS Flight Sim. Forza and Halo. I don't mean that as a knock against Microsoft. Just pointing out that it is a traditional release year for their console and if those titles excite you now they should have before.

kretos

Banned
6cpffM4.jpeg

If you are considering switching after that conference then you should have switched a long time ago. The next big releases are MS Flight Sim. Forza and Halo. I don't mean that as a knock against Microsoft. Just pointing out that it is a traditional release year for their console and if those titles excite you now they should have before.

Well they did before but also having a job and life I cant/wont own all 3 consoles as I dont have time to play them all together. I have a PS4 Pro and a Switch and yes for a long time I wanted to play again Gears and Forza Horizon but as I said I use my consoles for third party mostly too, I dont buy a console just to buy the 15 exclusives it has. I dont game on PC so when I buy a new-gen console, thats what I use it for and right now just realizing, I can either spend $100 a year to play brand new games day one...almost all games or I stick to traditional of paying $70, even for third party.

jakinov

Instead no. But in addition maybe. They should get more developers to support Xbox playanywhere being able to play a game on my PC in one room and continue off on my TV in another room would be nice.

Why not buy both?

I did say Id buy a PS5 later but not first as I thought I would. Would wait for a Pro or Slim version instead. Buying both consoles at the same time, aint nobody got time for that. If I have both, that means one console will be used for exclusives only as they both play third parties and I just want to focus on one. As I mentioned above, I buy a console not only for its exclusives.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Warablo

I'll get a Ps5 when it's cheaper/easier to find and exclusives start piling up. I will stick with a Series X, Ps4 and PC for now.

Last edited:

RareJordan

Not me. Having owned both PS5 and SX (sold my Series X, still have a One X) there's just something about the PS5 that feels "next-gen". I'm the type who likes to still purchase physical games. And the PS5 has much better offline functionality. The Series X felt like when I upgraded from an iPhone X to an iPhone 11. Better overall, but I could have kept my iPhone X and done all the same stuff. That's how I feel right now. Once Starfield comes out, I may change my tune.

Had zero plans on buying a Series X for a while now. Outside of wanting to play with my brother, whom is planning on getting one himself, I didn't have much of a reason. Told myself that I'd upgrade my PC far down the line and buy a PS5 when available. Fast forward to yesterday and there's a Series X sitting in my den next to me. The titles available and coming to Game Pass are what tipped the scales for me. I'm not gonna be able to get my hands on a PS5 for a long time. Period. I'm tired of waiting and have been itching to upgrade my living room television. Probably picking up a 55' Samsung QN90A. I've been going back and forth in my head with that and an LG C1. I think with my gaming habits and girlfriends watching habits, it's probably for the best I stick to LCD. Also my living room gets lots of sunlight and the TV faces a window. Still planning on picking up a PS5, though.

Blond

Banned
Im a playstation guy, love the games and the platform but this covid next gen hasnt hyped me as much. Even when announced, I really didnt get the XSX appeal with its gamepass. I chose my platform based on the games I have most connection with. Im not gonna lie, I do wish some titles were on PS like Forza Horizon, Gears of War, Flight Simulator etc. And then the E3 show happened and at the end of almost every single trailer: "Day one gamepass". And considering how often I see GP on discounts I was like wait...I can play all these new games, day one if I wanted with a single subscription of under $100 a year (taking advantage of discounted GP). And on the other side I have to think if I want to part with $70 for each game on PS5. Sure, ill miss out on the big exclusives from PS but I never said I wont buy it later as well.

Im at a similar spot where as playstation fan I bought an xbox360 first and then a PS3 when the slim version came out because at the time it was just a better purchase and took awhile for those exclusives to pile up. Now I feel like im in the same spot, that maybe ill go for XSX first and get a PS5Pro or slim later. This time being because I get the appeal of gamepass. Its a financial decision but I also play a shit ton of third parties. And not gonna lie, even Halo Infinite got me interested again. Not to mention I can find XsX way easier than a PS5 atm. Anyone else in a similar boat?

people know that Sony hasnt hosted their event yet.

better make decision when we see both.

Oh Im not saying this is particularly because of exclusives. Im saying as a grown up I saw the E3 conference and for the first time understood what gamepass actually offers. For $100 a year I get a whole librbary plus 95% that was shown for free? Thats insanely good deal. Or I keep buying $70 games, including third party.

BlackTron

I think I may get both at this point.

When Halo comes out I will try it out on PC using my bog standard 1060. If the game is actually good, I might choose to get a XSX instead of building a new PC. I mean it's a $500 box with pretty sufficient performance at 120FPS, that you can plug a m/kb into. Also, a plug and play avenue to Flight Simulator.

I REALLY like the way my current PC setup feels for making precise shots in FPS games and I'm in no hurry to change a THING. An XSX is pretty much the price of just the gfx card so I mean...

That said. I knew long ago that I will eventually get a PS5. A revision would be nice though. An Xbox could help soothe the wait.

Ron Burgundy Laughing GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

But seriously, choice was already made for me by Microsoft. They have no official Xbox representation in mine or any neighboring countries. Not sure if I could even sign up for GP. Also, literally no one plays Xbox here so trading physical games would be impossible and I’m a lifelong loyal PS player that stuck to PS3 even in darkest days.

You really don’t have to buy games on release OP and if you really need it, trade it for the next one after you finish and keep the costs at minimum.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

Join Us GIF by memecandy

HoofHearted

I did say Id buy a PS5 later but not first as I thought I would. Would wait for a Pro or Slim version instead. Buying both consoles at the same time, aint nobody got time for that. If I have both, that means one console will be used for exclusives only as they both play third parties and I just want to focus on one. As I mentioned above, I buy a console not only for its exclusives.
I get it - but honestly - with GP and PS+, there’s a lot of games and options without laying down a lot of cash.

I have both and I’m simply playing through backlog of games at this point available on those services. Im only buying an occasional exclusive release (currently R&C), play it, then trade it in for another exclusive if there’s one out.

Over time - I expect to play the PS5 primarily for its exclusives - and my XSX for multiplat and “free” exclusives with GPU

I play both pretty evenly.

HoofHearted

Had zero plans on buying a Series X for a while now. Outside of wanting to play with my brother, whom is planning on getting one himself, I didn't have much of a reason. Told myself that I'd upgrade my PC far down the line and buy a PS5 when available. Fast forward to yesterday and there's a Series X sitting in my den next to me. The titles available and coming to Game Pass are what tipped the scales for me. I'm not gonna be able to get my hands on a PS5 for a long time. Period. I'm tired of waiting and have been itching to upgrade my living room television. Probably picking up a 55' Samsung QN90A. I've been going back and forth in my head with that and an LG C1. I think with my gaming habits and girlfriends watching habits, it's probably for the best I stick to LCD. Also my living room gets lots of sunlight and the TV faces a window. Still planning on picking up a PS5, though.
Welcome to the dark side. 🤣

Matsuchezz

Yup, I have been asking around all the people i know in my neighborhood, familiy, people at work, at church on sundays, when I walk the dog i ask strangers how they feel about the MS E3 conference and they all agree it was stellar and they are seriously thinking ditching PS5 in favor of XsX. I can vouch hundreds if not thousands if not hundreds of thousands are willing to jump ship. Myself? I will probably buy one as soon Hellblade 2 lands on the system.

Top Bottom