• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone checked out Soulstorm?

RAIDEN1

So Abe's latest adventure has released, though I see no mention of the release of the game here, thought I'd start a new thread on it, (seems to be flying under the radar so to speak..) has anyone played it as yet? I am somewhat interested though I couldn't get into the previous Abe games from before, I like the setting character designs etc...though it doesn't warrant a full-price purchase for me, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has it on the PS4 Pro and what is it like on there? Obviously not as detailed as the PS5 but hopefully eventually it will come free for PS+ for non PS5 owners like myself...

RAIDEN1

Tried for 1st mission,the game story is interesting. Graphics looks decent,. I played on PS5.
Cool, from one review I saw earlier today this game appears to be challenging and it appears in order to progress expect to die a lot.. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Reactions: Rea

Kadve

Yea i played it recently. Sega made a great work in fixing all the bugs THQ left behind, but the dialogue is as cringe worthy as ever...

Oh, the Oddworld one? No haven't played that, never been in to the series.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Funny how because it's an Epic exclusive(?) there's zero talk about it that I can find (well also the price)

Zoro7

Banned
I played the first level yesterday, didn’t really grab me. I’ll try a couple more before making a decision.

I had no idea the game was out already. And I also didn't know the PS+ offer was only for PS5.

I guess I'll play it when I get a PS5.

kyoji

Got it downloaded on ps5 but havent played yet, soon as i finish up platinum trophy run on another game i plan to play through abe's!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've never gotten into this series. The trailers did have a few moments of spectacle that looked interesting so I'll give it an honest try when I get home tonight.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Oddword games are weird in that they look quirky and interesting, but when I actually play them, it never clicks.

Haven't played Soulstorm yet, but can series vets confirm if it's similar to previous games? Still kind of like Blackthorne or Out of this World?

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Playing it right now. Nothing to write home about. But it is okay. I know both are wildly different genres but I enjoyed the previous PS5 PS+ game (Maneater) more.

TrebleShot

Thought id give new n tasty a go to see what the gameplay is like , its pretty cool actually, should I finish it before playing SS?

Josemayuste

Oddword games are weird in that they look quirky and interesting, but when I actually play them, it never clicks.

Haven't played Soulstorm yet, but can series vets confirm if it's similar to previous games? Still kind of like Blackthorne or Out of this World?
Yeah, it pretty much is an up to date version of the classic Oddworld games formula, even tough with some new mechanics thrown into the mix, it's a welcome breath of fresh air in my opinion, and yes, kind of similar to those games that you just mentioned too.

But it's a slow burn game, complexity and gameplay mechanics take their sweet time to show up, the first few levels are bland in comparison to later levels.

Story and presentation are top notch by the saga's standards

I'd say that the game would not be the cup of tea to newcomers, but fans will love it.

Last edited:

Entroyp

I played the first level and I liked it. Can’t wait to play some more on the weekend.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm on the 4th level, haven't played previous Oddworld games so I don't understand the story but the gameplay is quite fun, looks really nice and I'm definitely enjoying myself enough to continue.

TexMex

Can’t put my finger on what, but something feels off. I say this as a huge Oddworld fan, but something from the quality of those original games is something they’ve never really replicated. The memories I have of Odyssey/Exodus probably cloud my judgment too. True classics. Bought my original PlayStation specifically for the first Oddworld game.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Nope, well at least not yet, and I am curious to see how the game fares on PS4 Pro...
Thanks, I guess I gotta decide if I should buy it on PC. Still hunting for the PS5, though I've largely given up. I could be trying harder.

FUBARx89

Ehhhhh.

Has wierd framerate slow downs, the double jumping can be finkicky as shit grabbing stuff. The crafting system really didn't need to be included.

But it's alright I guess

Markio128

I completed a couple more levels today (3 and 4) and I’m enjoying the quirkiness. I’d say the game is a solid 7.5/10 and I’m happy to plug away at it. It’s nothing awe inspiring, but the levels appear to be well designed and challenging without being frustrating.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The lack of professional reviews at launch is a bit worrying. I haven't heard anything negative yet other than a lot of people saying it has bugs on pS5

TwiztidElf

High production values and gorgeous graphics. Same tedious gameplay as the original games.
Shame as I enjoy the world and characters. I prefer Munch and Strangers Wrath.

swaffles23

As an Oddworld og it's pretty good. I'm just happy to see the series still going. It pretty much died after Stranger's Wrath flopped.

Im liking the story so far but some of the writing is meh. Has some really great looking locations. It can def be difficult on some levels.

The only things I've really disliked so far is the crafting system. I just don't think it was needed

Bartski

Gold Member
The lack of professional reviews at launch is a bit worrying. I haven't heard anything negative yet other than a lot of people saying it has bugs on pS5
yeah the possession mechanic sometimes totally breaks, I've had multiple checkpoints reloads on level 3 unable to leave the body of the enemy by going the wrong way, stuck in a wall or floating in air... also floating items, but then zero bugs in other levels. It's really uneven.

Top Bottom