• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody thinking of switching from PC to console?

What will be your primary system going forward?

• Sticking to console

Votes: 91 31.2%
  • Switching from PC to console

Votes: 29 9.9%
  • Switching from console to PC

Votes: 32 11.0%
  • Sticking to PC

Votes: 128 43.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters

GuinGuin

Banned
Switched from PC to console. So much happier. PC hardware and software is so all over the place nothing is ever optimized and you spend the time you could be relaxing and enjoying a game troubleshooting instead. No thanks. You also miss out on almost every single GOTY if you are a PC exclusive gamer.

PsyEd

I switched to consoles for most mp games.....still have PC though. Also MODS for PC = infinite replay value imho.

I switched to consoles for most mp games.....still have PC though. Also MODS for PC = infinite replay value imho.
i wish consoles had the mp games i most enjoy, like insurgency sandstorm, ground branch, squad etc...tactical shooter with full mouse and keyboard support.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
As I spend less time gaming PC fits better since I can use it for other stuff as well. Also once you go super high FPS even 60 starts to look off (and 30 is like sand paper in your eyes).

now if that switch pro gets a port of destiny….

yamaci17

had to stick with pc for now since i got a 3070 at near msrp, but if its vram fails to play next-gen games with proper textures akin to a ps5 or series x within 4 years, i will be shifting to a console

KAL2006

Banned
I got into a bit of PC gaming in the PS3 generation. Steam was so good. However as I have gotten older and have other responsibilities and work from home on my computer I prefer console gaming. PSN Digital sales are honestly as good as Steam these days, and I'm at a point I'm not fussed about graphics anymore. I just want easy plug and play system and I prefer the controller over mouse and keyboard especially as I work on a computer as a day job. Super fast SSD has made it even better for console gaming there is nothing like just putting the 65 inch TV on in the lounge and starting MK11 for PS5 in a minute.

i own both PC + PS4 but would say PC has been my main platform for the last ~5 years. until my PC struggles playing new games then that's where i'll play most games. once it is no longer any use for games then i'll buy a PS5 or Series X. i reckon i will get another year easily out of my PC. maybe 2. i'm hoping when my PC is no longer any use for games that we'll have slim/pro models of the current gen consoles.

PC is too much money. I like games but not enough to keep spending the kind of money i've put into my PC. It makes more sense for me to buy a box that is £300-500 and will last me 6-7 years. a PS5 here is meant to be £450. i could've bought eight PS5s for the same i spent on my PC as it is right now. or twelve for the total amount i've spent on hardware over the last 5-6 years. also, I find PC to be more of a hassle. i prefer the simplicity of a console where it "just works". dealing with OS updates is less trouble on console. you don't need to deal with updating stuff like drivers/bios. some people love overclocking their PC but it stresses me out. i can't deal with all that stuff.

maybe i'm just getting old now cause i'm tired of using a PC even for non gaming stuff. of course i've had a smartphone for years but i'd do most things on my PC. not only am i going back to console gaming but i bought myself an iPad which is now my main device. it's more simple and less bother. i only use my PC now for playing games and of course that's not gonna last forever. i've used desktop PCs all my life but i think it's about time i give it up for both gaming and non gaming stuff.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Have a PS5 a switch and a high end PC (5900x and RTX 3080). I dont understand why one would focus on one or the other, I play on the format that has the best experience, if something is superior on PC such as Deep Rock Galactic I play on PC, if something is exclusive on console I play it on that... pretty simple.
This is the correct answer. But you know, people weird, lol. And I have a PS4 Pro, Switch and mid-range PC (3700x and RTX 3060 Ti)

BlackTron

It can be both. I game on a variety of devices depending on the game. The ideal platform for an RPG to me would be Switch -able to grind on the go, crappy joycon controllers don't matter (it's an RPG). 3D platforming adventure, best on a console. FPS and RTS games that make me want to buy a high refresh rate monitor and a gaming mouse, well PC is the only option there is.

Super expensive new graphics cards and extensive customizing not required.

There is only one game ever that seriously made me consider buying a console again and that's Red Dead Redemption. That one definitely hurt. But it's very close to being playable via emulator on PC now.

Pilgrimzero

A $300 X Series S for intro into
Next Gen gaming is way cheaper than upgrading a PC/Laptop.

So I did that. Great little cheap system.

Buggy Loop

PC + Nintendo for me. There’s nothing quite like the games from Nintendo on PC so it’s a good combo. With Microsoft PC gamepass, and Sony releasing games on it, why would I even consider it? I also used my older PC as a console, in a small form factor case, under the TV, and booting directly into steam big screen mode. It was operating exactly like a console. Since the pandemic i needed to work at home and rearranged the whole setup for work and a brand new PC, with ultrawide monitor 120 fps Gsync, it’s fucking good.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Nope, made the switch once in the past with same reasoning of hardware being cheaper, plug'n'play, etc. Ain't doing it again.

In fact, when i think of it, a lot of the games i'm planning to play in the short-term future aren't even available on a PS5 or XSX.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
The trick is to be a PC + Nintendo kind of gamer.
The best combo possible. Especially these days with both Sony and Microsoft putting their stuff on PC.

And yet you still would have missed out on
TLOU2 GOTY 2020
13 Sentinels GOTY 2019
God of War GOTY 2018
Horizon Zero Dawn GOTY 2017 for 2 years
Uncharted 4 GOTY 2016
Bloodbourne GOTY 2015
Infamous Second Son GOTY 2014
TLOU GOTY 2013
Journey GOTY 2012 for 3 years
Uncharted 3 GOTY 2011
God of War 3 GOTY 2010
Uncharted 2 GOTY 2009
MGS4 GOTY 2008
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction GOTY 2007
FF12 GOTY 2006 for 12 years
Shadow of the Colossus GOTY 2005
Etc

brian0057

Banned
And yet you still would have missed out on
TLOU2 GOTY 2020
13 Sentinels GOTY 2019
God of War GOTY 2018
Horizon Zero Dawn GOTY 2017 for 2 years
Uncharted 4 GOTY 2016
Bloodbourne GOTY 2015
Infamous Second Son GOTY 2014
TLOU GOTY 2013
Journey GOTY 2012 for 3 years
Uncharted 3 GOTY 2011
God of War 3 GOTY 2010
Uncharted 2 GOTY 2009
MGS4 GOTY 2008
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction GOTY 2007
FF12 GOTY 2006 for 12 years
Shadow of the Colossus GOTY 2005
Etc
That's great. Good for them.
I don't care about Sony games. But it's cool that they're starting to come to PC.
Either way. Good for them.

brian0057

Banned
You don't care about the best games ever made? That's a weird attitude.
I mean, "the best games ever made" is an opinion.
It's their focus on cinematic, bombastic, and heavily scripted experiences that I find extremely unappealing.
The last time anything by Sony or its divisions had me excited, it had "Crash" in the title.

GuinGuin

Banned
I mean, "the best games ever made" is an opinion.
It's their focus on cinematic, bombastic, and heavily scripted experiences that I find extremely unappealing.
The last time anything by Sony or its divisions had me excited, it had "Crash" in the title.

Yeah, that's not what they are about. If you tried them you would see that.

Justin9mm

That's great. Good for them.
I don't care about Sony games. But it's cool that they're starting to come to PC.
Either way. Good for them.
Good games are good games. Very weird attitude as someone who claims to be a gamer. I don't think you realise how biased you sound.

Your reasoning of Sony games starting to come to PC is not entirely true. They are not going to put new release titles straight to PC. A select few could and will be years from release to PC.

brian0057

Banned
Good games are good games. Very weird attitude as someone who claims to be a gamer. I don't think you realise how biased you sound.

Your reasoning of Sony games starting to come to PC is not entirely true. They are not going to put new release titles straight to PC. A select few could and will be years from release to PC.
Patiences is a virtue. And apparently a sparse one these day.
I've played the Uncharted trilogy and the original TLOU enough times to know that I don't like what Sony is selling.
And nothing they've releases since has convinced me of the contrary.

scalman

its not possible as xbox /pc games on PC and PS5 exclusives only on Ps5. so PC +PS5 same as before was PC+PS4 pro, and before those where PS3/x360

Last edited:
I already did this. Didn't feel like spending the money to upgrade basically all of my parts. I had an aging CPU with only 6 cores, aging GPU, slow 3.5GB/Sec NVMe drive, aging motherboard with no PCIe 4.0 support, and small 600W PSU. I wanted to prepare for next gen, but I would've had to basically change everything in my machine, so I sold it and bought a PS5. I like Sony's exclusives more than anything that is on PC anyway. I miss VRR though 🙁

pc will always be my favourate gaming machine but as im getting older with less free time to game anyways maybe 4/5 hours a week atm i tend just to stick the xbox on and have quick / less issues gaming sessions, its so much easier as the xbox stays upto date whilst being "off" everytime i put my pc on with its 4/5 fucking stores theres always something being updated and just get a bit fed up of it, esp if its the game you want to play "insurgency sandstorm" for me most of the time.
THIS. I hated how my games were spread across a bunch of different apps and a lot of times, Windows updates would break something or video driver updates would cause issues in certain games while you also need the latest driver to play the latest games, so you're pretty much stuck there. Then there's the whole thing where Windows will minimize your full screen game for no reason whatsoever and it's a pain in the ass to figure out what process decided it was more important than a full screen application that you really don't want interrupted and YES, I made sure my notifications were silenced during full screen games... still didn't help.

Anyways, with Discord coming to PS5 next year, I'm stoked to play some cross-plat games with my buddies while using my PlayStation headset. Nice!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What keeps gamers from pc gaming is the course of getting into it, building and installing a graphics card to a motherboard is control but weird to the casual gamer and than consoles you’re forced to use a graphics card an entire decade.

BigBooper

Eh, I don't know about going forward. If XBOX embraced it's MS heritage and started supporting Mouse and Keyboard and adding PC centric games I definitely would. I don't think that's very likely though. I've been thinking about selling my video card while the price is high and trying it for a while though.

Guilty_AI

so you don't care about good games? what are you playing then

Why do people think these ps exclusives are the hottest shit ever, as if you HAVE to like them.

Get on your heads not everyone enjoys those, i'd go play something like Atelier Ayesha or read Umineko 100 times out of 1 before i'd try finishing the new GOW or starting HZD.
Sony games just feel like boring cookie-cutter stuff for me, save very few exceptions like Gravity Rush.

GuinGuin

Banned
Why do people think these ps exclusives are the hottest shit ever, as if you HAVE to like them.

Get on your heads not everyone enjoys those, i'd go play something like Atelier Ayesha or read Umineko 100 times out of 1 before i'd try finishing the new GOW or starting HZD.
Sony games just feel like boring cookie-cutter stuff for me, save very few exceptions like Gravity Rush.

Are we allowed to make fun of Japanophiles on this board or is that flirting with a ban? ☺️

Guilty_AI

Are we allowed to make fun of Japanophiles on this board or is that flirting with a ban? ☺️
You can try, i can't guarantee i won't report you though.

Also, funny talking about Japanophiles when you're praising a japanese company

Last edited:

rofif

Banned

but you say "SONY EXCLUSIVES" are bad. Lik if all of them were the same. These are different games. You say Bloodborne or Demons Souls is the same as God of War?

I do this all the time, play on consoles early in the generation... But as the console becomes older the compromises become less tenable, so I switch back.

Also, Sony amd MS are pushing their games on PC now, so who knows if I will ever want a console ever again.

Guilty_AI

but you say "SONY EXCLUSIVES" are bad. Lik if all of them were the same. These are different games. You say Bloodborne or Demons Souls is the same as God of War?
Didn't i just say i like Gravity Rush? When i say SONY EXCLUSIVES, i mean i don't like or don't see a big deal in:
Uncharted 1&3&4, TLoU 1&2, GOW2018, HZD, Days Gone, Spider Man.

Aka, most of their big names portfolio.

rofif

Banned
Didn't i just say i like Gravity Rush? When i say SONY EXCLUSIVES, i mean i don't like or don't see a big deal in:
Uncharted 1&3&4, TLoU 1&2, GOW2018, HZD, Days Gone, Spider Man.

Aka, most of their big names portfolio.
idk Gravity Rush is sony exclusives. I tend not to play anime games because I don't like them personally.
All the games you listed are different. You are free to dislike whatever you want

Guilty_AI

idk Gravity Rush is sony exclusives.
its from japan studios

All the games you listed are different. You are free to dislike whatever you want
They feel the same to me,
and if i'm free to dislike whatever i want then don't go around saying stuff like "so you don't care about good games?" because they very clearly aren't good to me nor for the guy you were answering

Last edited:

Mabdia

Well... I'll switch from Console to PC, since it looks like I'll be able to play Playstation games on PC.

Hermen Hulst - "We value PC gamers, and will continue to look at the right times to launch EACH game [on PC].

Ywap

I´m sticking with PC.

I can´t do 30fps, i wish i could but that´s just how it is. It´s more expensive, but it´s worth it to me.

If 60fps became mandadory on future titles i would get a ps5 but i suspect when cross-gen is over we´ll be back to 30fps.

Last edited:

sackings

I'll always have a gaming PC for mmos and legacy games like city builders, etc because I always come back to play those. But the bulk of my time is console. PS5 performance/graphics is good enough for me. Especially now that more games are offering 60 fps modes

Last edited:
I recently made the switch to primarily gaming on console. I still have a somewhat powerful gaming PC and I use it now and then, but 90% of my gaming time is on consoles since current gen started. Right now I enjoy the console experience a lot more, especially while working remote during the pandemic.

I miss playing The Forest on PC though. It's so much harder on console and it's locked to 30fps if you play it online 🙁 . Also, if you uncap the frame rate in offline mode, it turns off vsync, so you get screen tearing all over the place.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I recently got my hands on a base PS4 so I could catch up on exclusives I missed out on and, I’m quite impressed with how much they’ve been able to achieve with 7 year old low-mid range hardware. TLOU2, God of War. Yes, it’s 30 fps and that sucks but it’s extremely stable and well paced 30 fps and there are no hoops to jump through to achieve it. If we continue getting 60 fps options on consoles then one of my primary objections to them goes out the window.

It’s true that PC gaming is easier and more accessible than ever, but it still has issues and I think I had my fill of that for life. I’d be quite satisfied if I never had to see an fps counter or check Pcgamingwiki or even see a graphics settings menu ever again. And I have no interest in researching and building overpriced hardware anymore either.

I mean, I still have objections to consoles, mainly that analog stick aiming isn’t very satisfying or accurate, but I might be willing to compromise.

Ok, that’s enough rambling. I see a fair few members here expressing intention to switch from PS to PC now that Sony is going all in on PC, but is anyone doing the opposite?

I'll always have a high-end or high enough gaming PC that I wouldn't play on, but ready if there is something really impressive and not offered in PS ecosystem. So far haven't played any game on my PC, can't see that changing in the near future.

Kinda of, right now my desktop is in my office where I spend a large amount of my time already, so I picked up an xbox with game pass for the living room.

small_law

I just put the finishing touches on my dream build PC, but I made damn sure to pick up a PS5 and Series X too. I never saw the point in having to choose between consoles or PC, Xbox or PlayStation, Nintendo or Sega, etc. I always wanted it all.

Honestly, if it wasn't for all the hacky shit I have to do to get console audio doing what I want ot to do, I'd almost lean more towards consoles.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Shortages/scalping/ridiculous prices make me glad I got a PS5 at launch. Upgrading my PC is out of the question as long as this bullshit continues.

vpance

Always good to have both if you think you might be interested in playing PC only releases.

But having only PC for primary these days, especially if you're not already invested, will just be terrible value from a cost perspective. Even moreso if you just end up playing multiplat titles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom