• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody thinking of switching from PC to console?

What will be your primary system going forward?

• Sticking to console

Votes: 91 31.2%
  • Switching from PC to console

Votes: 29 9.9%
  • Switching from console to PC

Votes: 32 11.0%
  • Sticking to PC

Votes: 128 43.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
I recently got my hands on a base PS4 so I could catch up on exclusives I missed out on and, I’m quite impressed with how much they’ve been able to achieve with 7 year old low-mid range hardware. TLOU2, God of War. Yes, it’s 30 fps and that sucks but it’s extremely stable and well paced 30 fps and there are no hoops to jump through to achieve it. If we continue getting 60 fps options on consoles then one of my primary objections to them goes out the window.

It’s true that PC gaming is easier and more accessible than ever, but it still has issues and I think I had my fill of that for life. I’d be quite satisfied if I never had to see an fps counter or check Pcgamingwiki or even see a graphics settings menu ever again. And I have no interest in researching and building overpriced hardware anymore either.

I mean, I still have objections to consoles, mainly that analog stick aiming isn’t very satisfying or accurate, but I might be willing to compromise.

Ok, that’s enough rambling. I see a fair few members here expressing intention to switch from PS to PC now that Sony is going all in on PC, but is anyone doing the opposite?

Edit: Ey people, I'm not saying I'm going to trash my PC. I'll still use it for my backlog and exclusives but those are usually low spec games.

Last edited:

nekrik

Did it already. Was in the process of making the new rig [CPU:AMD 3900X @4,4Ghz(OC) + AIO 360mm Liquid Cooling, MB:ROG STRIX E-GAMING X570, RAM:32gb ddr4600 (OC) PSU:1000W 80+gold. Etc etc] the only think which kept it from being complete was the lack of new generation GPU with all that the absurd gpu pricing & availability situation (So still having my old gtx1080ti on it though, and have nothing except respect for the best made GPU ever) BUT!! the fire is gone now and i am tired of the still existing gpu situation. Dumped my PC in a "corner of my house" and having serious thoughts about selling it!. So bought both Ps5 (Disc + Pulse 3D+2nd Dualsense) and an XsX (along with 26months gamepass) and loving both of them. A couple of days ago (when the RTX3080ti was announced) i was feeling like: "At this time who actually gives a f**k about that 2500Euro, overpriced and unavailable sh**t"

Orta

Banned
nah-youre-alright.jpg

rofif

Banned
I have both (3080 and pc).
Sometimes I wish I've gone with PS5 and Xbox. Life would be cheaper and easier.
But I am a sucker for some pc games and new tech. Over 500 steam library speaks for issues too

rofif

Banned
Did it already. Was in the process of making the new rig [CPU:AMD 3900X @4,4Ghz(OC) + AIO 360mm Liquid Cooling, MB:ROG STRIX E-GAMING X570, RAM:32gb ddr4600 (OC) PSU:1000W 80+gold. Etc etc] the only think which kept it from being complete was the lack of new generation GPU with all that the absurd gpu pricing & availability situation (So still having my old gtx1080ti on it though, and have nothing except respect for the best made GPU ever) BUT!! the fire is gone now and i am tired of the still existing gpu situation. Dumped my PC in a "corner of my house" and having serious thoughts about selling it!. So bought both Ps5 (Disc + Pulse 3D+2nd Dualsense) and an XsX (along with 26months gamepass) and loving both of them. A couple of days ago (when the RTX3080ti was announced) i was feeling like: "At this time who actually gives a f**k about that 2500Euro, overpriced and unavailable sh**t"
Pulse3d on PS5 in demon's souls or tlou2 and uncharted4 and it's amazing it was not 3k usd.
Pc is greater highs but also lower lows when it's expensive and something just don't work despite everything seemingly ok being ok.

All new important games will come to 1 of those consoles first and way later(if ever to pc). On console you don't worry about anything, get great controller and exclusives. And now it's the good time because old gen games all work too.

Pc is for you if you care about best possible graphics and performance or play games not available on console like tarkov and many other but mostly non aaa.

Bonfires Down Bonfires Down btw good first post op. I know your feeling. I have both and will keep both because somehow I can't leave pc gaming but I mostly just waste time on YouTube and twitch on 3k usd rig :p when I turn on ps5, I just play great games. But I need my pc for my old fav pc games

Last edited:
I recently got my hands on a base PS4 so I could catch up on exclusives I missed out on and, I’m quite impressed with how much they’ve been able to achieve with 7 year old low-mid range hardware. TLOU2, God of War. Yes, it’s 30 fps and that sucks but it’s extremely stable and well paced 30 fps and there are no hoops to jump through to achieve it. If we continue getting 60 fps options on consoles then one of my primary objections to them goes out the window.

It’s true that PC gaming is easier and more accessible than ever, but it still has issues and I think I had my fill of that for life. I’d be quite satisfied if I never had to see an fps counter or check Pcgamingwiki or even see a graphics settings menu ever again. And I have no interest in researching and building overpriced hardware anymore either.

I mean, I still have objections to consoles, mainly that analog stick aiming isn’t very satisfying or accurate, but I might be willing to compromise.

Ok, that’s enough rambling. I see a fair few members here expressing intention to switch from PS to PC now that Sony is going all in on PC, but is anyone doing the opposite?

Yeah these are kind of my thoughts, too.
PC Gaming is fine and dandy but also way more of a hassle then console gaming.
I'm 33 Years old have a girlfriend with a 12 year old daughter, and I don't have much free time anyways.
Even though gaming is my hobby I see myself loosing patience with pc related issues, it starts with what feels like 100 different gaming clients all (excluding steam) with lacking features and major issues.
I've been using my Playstation more often for gaming in the past months and I guess this won't stop unless PC gaming will get easier and cheaper again.

Last edited:
I must admit, it would be nice to get a Series X for convenience when it comes to playing games. I am not in a rush though so I'll wait

Zuzu

In Australia RTX 3080s are sold for prices between $2700 - $3300 which is completely absurd. I got myself an Xbox Series X for $750 after gaming on my iMac running bootcamp for a while and I think the Xbox is great and it should be pretty good for another two years at least. I've still got lots of games to play on my iMac, but I'll be transitioning back to console gaming for most future game releases. If GPU prices come down over the next few years I'd like to return to PC gaming at some point though.

Last edited:

Pantz

Gold Member
I do both. Got a 3080 PC but play the majority of games on consoles. For new release high graphics games, it's as you say, so annoying trying to figure out if I should turn down cloud or shadow quality to get a stable FPS.

So on PC I prefer to play older games at max max settings with no troubles and lite graphics games are fine too. Trying the new high graphics games on PC only if I'm willing to put in the time to get it setup.

Ever since PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, consoles have been like easy 4K TV companions. You could utilize a 4K TV with a PC too, but in a lot of cases you can't just click the ultra all settings, you have to tweak the settings like how the console games already do for you. So for PC I also prefer to use an ultrawide monitor for a different kind of experience.

Honestly I feel like I'm missing something.

I've been gaming on pc now for over a year and have not one been to pcgaming wiki and, whilst I have an FPS counter, I don't always use it.

It's a choice, you don't need to max your performance in the way you might want to max the stats of an RPG character. Just boot the game and play it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Both PC and PS5 are amazing for gaming and have their own perks.

I used to play primarily on PC (I still have a gaming laptop), but I just don't enjoy PC gaming anymore. Constant updates, tweaking the settings for optimized performance, FPS counters, expensive hardware ... it takes the fun away, especially at a life stage when there are a ton of other things. I don't want to spend 15 minutes thinking about or tweaking settings before playing the game.

But PC does have its benefits if you can afford a high-end PC: a huge variety of games, no online paid subscriptions, better performance if you have the hardware for it, etc.

I think instead of getting bogged down by peer pressure and whether they are getting a marginal benefit either on PS5 or PC, the focus should be more on having enjoyable experiences -- whether it is on a console or a gaming PC. Having fun is way more important than worrying about (mostly) trivial differences.

bbeach123

I play video game , don't really care about hardware , pc , console or handheld .

If PC have the game I like then I will playing it on the PC . If the Switch have the game i like then I buy the switch to play it (did this with the xenoblade 2 , sadly its was a mistake) .

I used to have a Origin Xbox and Xbox360 for the same reason . But after Xbox stop having exclusive I stick to the playstation and mainly the PC . Probably stop buying the PS too if PS do the same .

And I dont even have a high end PC .

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Have a PS5 a switch and a high end PC (5900x and RTX 3080). I dont understand why one would focus on one or the other, I play on the format that has the best experience, if something is superior on PC such as Deep Rock Galactic I play on PC, if something is exclusive on console I play it on that... pretty simple.

TrebleShot

I am always blown away by some things on PC and seriously considered getting a high end rig about 3 months ago, it was between that and an M1 MacBook Air and the Air won.

I was really keen to play PES 2021 with mods, it looks incredible basically life like on PC and not the same at all on PS5. But I couldn't justify paying the money and also using an archaic system *in my opinion, I just wanted something a little more in line with my workflow and gaming was a distant priority.

Honestly I only have time or inclination to play the PS5 rather than my xbox although I am having fun going back through the Halo games.

To sit and mess with drivers, different online portal libraries, incompatibilities and inconsistent performance sounds like a nightmare to me. Plug it in, impress me and have fun, switch it off and done.

Hydelol

Banned
I am not a "Gamer". I don't just sit infront a machine and want to "game". And that is all a console offers (aside from watching movies / shows).

Klik

Bonfires Down Bonfires Down OP If you have problem with aiming try to get kontrol freek Galaxy add on.It will help you a lot and costs about 15€ but its worth it.

Also yeah im sticking with console especially now that both ps5/xsx are beasts. I bought 900€ gaming PC in 2013 and in 2018 i had problems with playing new titles, even though my pc was probably 40% better than ps4 in cpu/gpu. Just fck it

sunnysideup

Banned
I am an playstation gamer and fan. I prefer the idea of a console, where games are tailored to hardware rather than the other way around..

But i am thinking about going pc only. And i fucking hate pc gaming. But when i can get most games on one platform, even the japanese ones that i prefer, and sonys first party. And that platform with the best legacy support.

Its hard to justify any more investment into the playstation brand.

T-Cake

If you asked me a year ago, I would have said yes. PC is too expensive, PS5 and Xbox Series X are going to be amazeballs and blow PC out of the water with their SSD. Now after yesterday's revelation about God of War and Sony games on PC, PCs are going to have the same or better SSD technology by the time the new consoles have games that actually make use of it. So I'm sticking with PC now.

It's not exclusive PC by the way. I see myself purchasing the disc based version of the PS5 now instead of the digital one so that I can buy and sell the games and pick them up on Steam later down the line when they have DLC included and are cheaper.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I don't understand why I have to choose.

Been playing more console than PC tho, there just isn't any PC exclusive content that I really like I guess. Days of Sim City, Command & Conquer, Age of Empires, Wing Commander etc are long gone and 99% of what's on Steam is just I can't even.

I am an playstation gamer and fan. I prefer the idea of a console, where games are tailored to hardware rather than the other way around..

But i am thinking about going pc only. And i fucking hate pc gaming. But when i can get most games on one platform, even the japanese ones that i prefer, and sonys first party. And that platform with the best legacy support.

Its hard to justify any more investment into the playstation brand.
More and more jp devs release their games on pc, that's one major reason I go pc. While sony close their own jp studio…

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Consoles for exclusives only.

Pretty much how I see it these days.
With crossplay becoming more prevalent dead servers are less likely, so even games that falloff on PC should last alittle bit longer as console players dont turnoff crossplay.

Im just waiting for that Battlefield announcement so I know where Ill be playing it.
Ive double dipped on every Battlefield since Battlefield 4....not Hardline, simply because console servers stay alive for longer if.....they have crossplay in this one i might just stick to PC.

But generally im a PC player more and more and im much more likely to just wait for a PC port than rush to get the console version.

Shubh_C63

I really wish to if wasn't for my skills with controller.
Everything about consoles speaks to me more than a PC. except the Online cost, no defending that.

IBoAKeYdERiDAygi

Neo Member
Yes, mostly because I reached the point where the most realistic graphics and the most powerful PC is something that I don't want anymore, I don't have a powerful enough PC to run games, at this point I don't think I will ever have one, it's easier for me to purchase a PS4 and be happy with the fact that I can finally stop caring about these things.

rofif

Banned
Both PC and PS5 are amazing for gaming and have their own perks.

I used to play primarily on PC (I still have a gaming laptop), but I just don't enjoy PC gaming anymore. Constant updates, tweaking the settings for optimized performance, FPS counters, expensive hardware ... it takes the fun away, especially at a life stage when there are a ton of other things. I don't want to spend 15 minutes thinking about or tweaking settings before playing the game.

But PC does have its benefits if you can afford a high-end PC: a huge variety of games, no online paid subscriptions, better performance if you have the hardware for it, etc.

I think instead of getting bogged down by peer pressure and whether they are getting a marginal benefit either on PS5 or PC, the focus should be more on having enjoyable experiences -- whether it is on a console or a gaming PC. Having fun is way more important than worrying about (mostly) trivial differences.
something to that.
On pc, I always have to tweak (because I feel I want to) and I will die if I don't have fps counter and cpu/gpu usage up :p
While on the consoles I feel absolutely no need to have those things

Hydroxy

Am thinking about it but still undecided Its a toss up between PS5 and a budget gaming laptop. Its not that easy to switch over from PC to console due to cheap games on PC and my existing steam library.

Nay too much of a downgrade. Being an exclusive console gamer feels like your hands are tied behind your back and you're totally at the mercy of very few [sometimes just one default] options provided by devs.

Take Watch dogs Legion as example: you want RT = 30 fps, you want 60 fps = no RT and medium settings. Well what about lower res and 60 fps with RT ultra settings then? Nope. You want superior input device? Too bad most are not supported. Just too many restrictions.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I don't think I'll switch to consoles but never say never. If I care less about gaming in the future maybe I'll just sell my gaming desktop and play on one of those NUC PCs.

They should be powerful enough to run a lot of games and emulators in a couple of years.

Brofist

Switch as in console gaming instead of PC? Nah.
But if I happen to walk in a store one day and some PS5s were sitting on the shelf I’d probably grab one for the fun of it.

Saucy Papi

I actually went the other way, OP. I couldn't find a PS5 or Xbox Series X to save my life so I bought a PC from Cyberpower and haven't looked back. No regrets whatsoever. Thankfully, since Sony's now going to be putting their exclusives on PC (although I may have to wait a while to play them), I can play their games without having to buy yet another dedicated piece of gaming hardware. Not mention that I can buy Nintendo's games on the eShop and then play them through emulation on PC. Now if they just started putting their games on PC like Sony... 🙏

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I will continue todo both.

It’s a case by ads basis. Sometimes pc ports suck. Sometimes they are great. Then there is Timed exclusives andreal exclusives.

you don’t have to pick me me platform at a time.

Klik

Been considering that before so it might be time to give it a shot. Is Kontrol Freek the best brand? Because they look pretty tacky.
Yeah because there are the most durable and i think the best quality.Better to give 15€ for something that is proven to be good than trying to save 5€ and get something that you may not be happy with.
One have lasted me for 4 years without problems, now i switched the same one on my ps5 dualsense.

Last edited:
pc will always be my favourate gaming machine but as im getting older with less free time to game anyways maybe 4/5 hours a week atm i tend just to stick the xbox on and have quick / less issues gaming sessions, its so much easier as the xbox stays upto date whilst being "off" everytime i put my pc on with its 4/5 fucking stores theres always something being updated and just get a bit fed up of it, esp if its the game you want to play "insurgency sandstorm" for me most of the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom