• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any reason to keep PS4 when having a PS5 ? Main question is about PS move on PS5

DelireMan7

So I finally got a PS5. I was fine with keeping my PS4 but I realize I could give it to a good friend of mine to finally allow us to play online together.

Is there anything the PS4 can do that the PS5 can't ?
My main "concern" is the PS move controllers for Just Dance (my daughter loves it so would be a pity if it doesn't work on PS5). Can I use the PS move on PS5 ?

Any particular thing to know before giving my PS4 ?

DelireMan7

Every PS4 accessory works on PS5.
Hum... really ? I was sure the DS4 doesn't work on PS5 that's why I am not sure the PS move work for PS5.

For info the PS move in question are from the PS3 era. ( I was already surprised to see them work on PS4 actually)

ParaSeoul

Hum... really ? I was sure the DS4 doesn't work on PS5 that's why I am not sure the PS move work for PS5.

For info the PS move in question are from the PS3 era. ( I was already surprised to see them work on PS4 actually)
Whatever works on ps4 works on ps5,for the DS4 connect it with the cable and only then will it pair,you can use it wireless after that.

DelireMan7

Whatever works on ps4 works on ps5,for the DS4 connect it with the cable and only then will it pair,you can use it wireless after that.

The DS4 can be used on the PS5 to navigate the home menu and play PS4 games or media apps.
Nice. Didn't know that.

Ps5 cannot be used as a 3d blu-ray player.

as for Move compatibility, I believe you need to use the ps4 camera, which require an adapter.
Hum that's sound not good for the move. I don't have a PS4 camera. But the PS move was working without camera on PS4. I might need to test that.

Tommi84

When you go blac... I mean. When you go PS5 you never go back to PS4.

Yes, there's no themes or folders, but everything else is 'x' times better on PS5. I haven't launched my PS4 since December last year. That being said, I never used move so I'd check this.

rofif

Banned
You got any games carrying over from PS4 to PS5?

You might want to look into game saves and ensure the PS4 saves transfer to PS5 easily.
Keeping old saves is not a reason to keep ps4...
If YOu are replaying a game... you usually start from the beginnging?! RIGHT ?!
But most saves carry over anyway.

Imo no reason to keep ps4 except for collecting

Last edited:

SaucyJack

As you said it was your main concern …….

You can play Just Dance using a phone as the controller. My daughter says this works better as the move/camera is sometimes less accurate at tracking you.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
So I finally got a PS5. I was fine with keeping my PS4 but I realize I could give it to a good friend of mine to finally allow us to play online together.

My main "concern" is the PS move controllers for Just Dance (my daughter loves it so would be a pity if it doesn't work on PS5). Can I use the PS move on PS5 ?

probably as a backup incase your PS5 kaput.

DelireMan7

Keeping old saves is not a reason to keep ps4...
If YOu are replaying a game... you usually start from the beginnging?! RIGHT ?!
But most saves carry over anyway.

Imo no reason to keep ps4 except for collecting
Basically this. There is actually only 2 games that I want to upload my save : Streets of Rage 4 (for all the unlocked stuff) and Baldur's Gate (I played only the first and want to do the other on the same file)
As a backup until you are sure you have a good and reliable PS5.

"You know, things break".
Actually I "give" it away to a close friend which is more a long term lending. I did the same with my Switch the 2/3 last years and now I got it back. So I can still have it in case I have an issue.
As you said it was your main concern …….

You can play Just Dance using a phone as the controller. My daughter says this works better as the move/camera is sometimes less accurate at tracking you.
My daughter is 5 so just don't really mind accuracy. And I don't want her to swing around my phone.

No need to buy PS5, if you are only going to be playing PS4 games on it.
I don't see the point of your comment. I am now playing Demon's Souls on PS5 but I will for sure use it to play/replay some PS4 games.

skit_data

Well, it’s got a web browser. That’s pretty much it.

Other than that, there’s really no reason to keep it (except maybe a controller). The only issue I’ve had when it comes to BC on PS5 was Arkham City acting a bit strange.

Bankai

The best reason to keep my PS4 pro: PSVR! Some games don't work on PS5, like Exp. Robinson. Also, move controllers don't work without the PS4-PS5 adapter.

But the main reason I don't want my PSVR hooked up to my PS5, is because of it not supporting HDMI 2.1 (it's HDMI 2.0). The passthrough of the PSVR box isn't HDMI 2.1 compatible, so you can't have the PS5's full fuctionality with the PSVR hooked up to it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I don't know if Just dance works with the camera or not but if it does you need to order an adapter (you can order it free, that's what I did for my psvr).I don't remember how fast it was delivered though.About compatibility since the psvr works on the ps5, I do't wjhy the move wouldn't.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The best reason to keep my PS4 pro: PSVR! Some games don't work on PS5, like Exp. Robinson. Also, move controllers don't work without the PS4-PS5 adapter.

But the main reason I don't want my PSVR hooked up to my PS5, is because of it not supporting HDMI 2.1 (it's HDMI 2.0). The passthrough of the PSVR box isn't HDMI 2.1 compatible, so you can't have the PS5's full fuctionality with the PSVR hooked up to it.
Yep that's a shame but a simple hdmi2.1 split can solve that if you don't want to unplug the console from your tv to the box.

Zero7

PS move works fine on PS5. I don't get why it needs the PS4 camera to work same for VR, but hey ho. Sony send you a free USB adapter you need to apply for it on the ps website

I gave my PS4 to my folks, they only use it for the straming apps, no need to go back once you have a PS5

K2D

Banned
I wanted to say PS4 Communities, but Sony closed that down in May.

Why? Who knows? PS5 parity? Moderation issues? (community owner/moderators would disagree).

It's honestly the feature I miss the most next to PS home for VR.

Mabdia

Now you can have access to some homebrew and emulators I guess.

If you don't care about it I think that there is no reason to keep it.

I wanted to say PS4 Communities, but Sony closed that down in May.

Why? Who knows? PS5 parity? Moderation issues? (community owner/moderators would disagree).

It's honestly the feature I miss the most next to PS home for VR.

I really miss cocomunities it helped to play some online games that are almost

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Much better UI/Console Design, Homebrew and if any of the games that aren't PS5 compatible matter to you

• Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge 2
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen

Thats it

DelireMan7

I don't know if Just dance works with the camera or not but if it does you need to order an adapter (you can order it free, that's what I did for my psvr).I don't remember how fast it was delivered though.About compatibility since the psvr works on the ps5, I do't wjhy the move wouldn't.

Ok for anyone interested the PS move is working fine without camera on Ps5 with Just Dance (2018 at least).

I just tested it. I am impressed that a PS3 accessory is still working on PS5

I can give away my ps4 then :)

wvnative

My situation is highly specific but I kept my PS4 for two reasons:

1. I can't use my DS4 or cronus on PS5 games, PS4 remote play bypasses this restriction

2. Issue seems specific to me, but share play won't work on my PS5, and trust me, I've tried EVERYTHING, but it works fine on my PS4.

I doubt you have the share play issue and you more than likely don't require adaptive tech, so your probably good.

I have kept most of my consoles over the years (the ones I did give up were to family), which included keeping my PS4 for PSVR as the PS5 doesn’t support PSVR as is. I discovered that you can request a free adaptor for the PS5 so your PSVR can now be compatible so I gave my PS4 to my brother, his PS4 died.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

"Any reason to keep PS4 when having a PS5 ?"​

No Way GIF

WoodyStare

Sold my PS4 slim for $250 when I got my PS5. No regrets. The demand is still there, take advantage of it while you can.

If you really want a second playstation, then trade your ps4 into gamestop for $330 plus like $30 for each controller. Then buy a digital PS5 when you get the chance for $400.

DelireMan7

Sold my PS4 slim for $250 when I got my PS5. No regrets. The demand is still there, take advantage of it while you can.
I prefer to "give"it to a friend. Like that I can have it back in case.

I don't sell my old consoles. I like to keep them. But that's true that with the PS4 I don't see many situation where I will replug it (only if my PS5 have a problem I guess)

Saucy Papi

Just be aware that BC's not 100% between the 2 machines. Case in point, AC: Syndicate has serious graphical issues on PS5 that don't exist on PS4. It's one of my favorite ACs so it was a big bummer for me.

Aenima

I always leave my last gen console hooked up, so i have a PS4 and PS5 hooked to my tv. The thing is, playing PS4 games on PS5 is always better so i havent turned on my Ps4 for like a year.

Only use i can see for a PS4 right now is to work as a backup in case something happens to ur PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom