• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any game devs on here?

RickMasters

Im asking because I’d love to drop some of my music in games! Let’s link up.

I think I’d like to do music for a fighting game or something similar to hyper light drifter. Some kind of cool 2D game. Just to start out with.

I don’t care if you are not some big game designer. Just have a cool idea for me to work on.😉👊🏾

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
From my 18 years working at the same studio the best advice I can give is unless you have specific audio or music education just apply as a tester to get your foot in the door.

Then in a year or 2 you can get promoted to what you really want.
The videogame workplace is the best school you can get. Experts in their field can help you towards your ultimate goal.

Good luck 🤠

MiguelItUp

From my 18 years working at the same studio the best advice I can give is unless you have specific audio or music education just apply as a tester to get your foot in the door.

The videogame workplace is the best school you can get. Experts in their field can help you towards your ultimate goal.

Good luck 🤠
Couldn't agree more. 19 years total across various studios and I can firmly agree that QA is always the best place to start. Some studios deal with promotions and department transfers better than others, but the "starting with QA" thing is the same everywhere.

If you didn't want to do the above, you could always check indie dev twitter and online communities. There may be some devs that would take you up on that OP.

RickMasters

Couldn't agree more. 19 years total across various studios and I can firmly agree that QA is always the best place to start. Some studios deal with promotions and department transfers better than others, but the "starting with QA" thing is the same everywhere.

If you didn't want to do the above, you could always check indie dev twitter and online communities. There may be some devs that would take you up on that OP.

I think I’m gonna do the latter and check out a few indie devs on Twitter. I don’t want to work in the games biz but as a musician, I’d love to expand beyond making the stuff I do at the moment. Kinda of like Trent Reznor of nine inch nails and his audio work with Id back in the day. Deffo gonna holla at some devs on Twitter and see where it goes though! 👊🏾

gtabro

So finally someone who will at least "get" this image 🙏

O6M2saa.png

I know that Japanese work culture is a bit different and some positions rotate to get experience and knowledge in several areas of the company and it seems to work for them, but it also feels like hitting a nail with a wrench, toolbox, occasionally for that inadequate ducttape before finally switching to a proper hammer.

Not everyone has talent in everything and here some might completely suck at being a tester, but would actually be great at whatever their actual dream job is. Feels just weird to force people through a school, finding errors in others' work, instead of throwing them at their own work and require testers be experienced professional testers. At least in my area of work I know that doing something is one thing but checking someone else's work or sometimes your own some time later is almost a whole different game to play. Creating something on a blank sheet is already different than changing existing stuff, but finding errors in either work is then the hardest. I probably believe tester should be the end of the ladder, the top position, not the other way round.
But I also don't fully understand what a tester does in gaming. So I might be completely wrong in trying to see some equivalence.

MiguelItUp

I think I’m gonna do the latter and check out a few indie devs on Twitter. I don’t want to work in the games biz but as a musician, I’d love to expand beyond making the stuff I do at the moment. Kinda of like Trent Reznor of nine inch nails and his audio work with Id back in the day. Deffo gonna holla at some devs on Twitter and see where it goes though! 👊🏾
It's a good idea! Our account is pinged almost on the daily from voice actors and musicians. So, the demand exists! Best of luck!

nush

Im asking because I’d love to drop some of my music in games! Let’s link up.

It does not work this way. You need a portfolio or what the word is for musicians of your music and to get it out there as much as you can.

As a former game dev I'm going to tell you about someone that made a post just like you many, many years ago.

The post was "I work for a small record label and I'd like to get into providing music for games" he provided a link to that catalogue and I checked it out. It was dance club style music with some good tracks in there. I was working on Guitar hero at the time and in China but just by chance Charles Kai was in the office on an overseas trip and was just bored wandering round our small office. So I just asked him how someone would get music into our games. "Just contact this person" he said, like it was no big deal. I passed on the contact information to the poster via DM because I liked some of the tracks he had shown in the link.

I hear nothing further, but he did send me a thanks package of CD's.

Year or so later I see his labels music in DJ Hero, then again in Ballad of Gay Tony and others. he made it, because he had that portfolio that I saw and luck that I had a top guy just hanging around my office that afternoon.

PORTFOLIO

Top Bottom