• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem |OT| Fly, you fools!

I started Anthem last night (on X) and I like it quite a lot. The gunplay is good and responsive and the iron man suit is pretty cool, I really like the art too. I wish it was a solo game because the multiplayer part seems to be Added on top of everything. I will try to play it solo for as long as I can.

Are you still playing? How is the community?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That’s how most people feel when they first play it. It ends abruptly and the endgame content doesn’t exist and its bullshit how rare any decent loot is. 12hr game

My buddy and I were over 30 hours with the campaign and all side quests and fort conversations. Well over a 100 hours messing around chasing loot etc. before we got bored. Loot sucks, but I like tinkering with builds and got enough drops to have fun with that. Bounced once I finally hit legendary status on my Storm.

The game has a fuckton of problems so I’m not going to defense force it really. But we had a lot of fun with it and got our money’s worth. I wouldn’t buy now though as the population is dwindling (we’re on PS4), but I don’t regret playing it.

Arkage

Banned
I started Anthem last night (on X) and I like it quite a lot. The gunplay is good and responsive and the iron man suit is pretty cool, I really like the art too. I wish it was a solo game because the multiplayer part seems to be Added on top of everything. I will try to play it solo for as long as I can.

At first I liked it a lot too. Up until the point where I realized every mission is the same, the loot is boring for the entire campaign, and there are only a small handful of abilities. I was also, at first, going to do everything solo but realized it made missions take 3x longer and also gave me less experience. Don't worry: there is no story or lore parts you'll miss by doing multiplayer.

M0G

Quit the game shortly after release after getting half way through the campaign. Got this shit off my SSD last night, because the prospect of it taking up even more space without serious improvement just wasn't happening.

Tesseract

Banned
gj bioware you fucked yourself

gj ea you bet on the wrong horse

gj with the ridiculous advertising budget, well played

10/10 would watch damage numbers again

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
gj bioware you fucked yourself

gj ea you bet on the wrong horse

gj with the ridiculous advertising budget, well played

10/10 would watch damage numbers again

Were you expecting something else? Like you said, this is EA and Bioware and it's clearly not a redeeming arc like NMS had or most devs with common sense have when they fuck up. Wasn't there news that the main team went on to different projects and now only the ones that work on SWTOR are left on the project? I don't think we'll ever get the story content promised ever again. There will be some events here and there and some patches but thats it.

McCheese

Bet you a dollar the 'epic rewards' will be pallet swapped gear, but at this point who is even mad about this? I went the Anthem reddit the other week to see how that is going and I swear most of the threads were all just as negative as everywhere else. Such a shame.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:

Coconutt

I wonder how much support will be given for this game before EA or Bioware throw in the towel, there's just so much bad will towards Anthem right now. Fallout 76 will probably be okay simply because it has the word Fallout on it but Anthem does not have that advantage.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Update is out in PS4. Downloading now and it’s 11.851 GBs. I’ll play some and report back about whether it’s worth playing if the servers are up (were supposed to be down 9am-12pm EST to prepare for the update.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So I played 3 hours or so and here's some quick impressions.
First, some background ti give my impressions context. I'm not a hater of the game. Despite all it's flaws I had a ton of fun playing it, especially with a friend, and put in over 100 hours before walking away as I was bored of the end game content. I thought the story was meh, but liked the characters and dialogue around town and LOVED flying around and the combat. Easily my favorite in any looter shooter. Thus my impressions come from that angle. If you're someone that never liked the game or got bored way fast than that, there's no reason to play this update (or keep being negative about it in threads and sub-Reddits as the game is what it is and is unlikely to get any better or much more support after this update and it's been months of the same complaints).

Bad news first:

• The update didn't fix existing glitches I had. I'm still getting speech bubbles on the map for Mathias, Jani and some times Dax that have been their for ages and they have nothing new to say. Still getting "loading results" hang post mission and just have to skip result.
  • Loot drops still seem to suck. No legendaries during my play time (3 new story missions and ran the cataclysm twice). I'd did the character reset thing before I quit and to my knowledge haven't gotten that "error loading pilot data" thing since so I didn't bother deleting characters and making a new one this time. IDK if I'll play this enough going forward to hassle with that again. I was only playing on GM1 though (since with randos) and it's GM2 and GM3 that are supposed to now have boosted drop rates per the patch notes.
  • I still often get loot for other classes. I bought three of the new melee items with the new in-game currency from the event and all were for classes other than Storm (including 2 for Ranger that I never play as that's my buddies class when we were playing before)
  • Cataclysm is a new free play type area and it can be a bit confusing if you get separated from the other players. I missed the boss fight the first time as I had found some warp gate thing and by the time I got in and out of that I couldn't make it to the fight in time
  • Player base seems low (I'm on PS4). I got full parties the first two missions, match making timed out and I soloed the third. Got full parties for the cataclysm both times, but there's only 230 players currently on the leaderboards--granted it it just came out and will shoot up this evening when people get off of work etc.
  • Still doesn't seem like much end game to work toward. Just a new event store (in-game currency store) where you can by the random melee slot drop (guarnteed to be masterwork with level 30 character and chance of it being legendary) and the other items being cosmetic.
The good/ok news:

• There's more story that I expected. Nothing good or any better than the main quest and side quests, but more than I expected for this. There's three new story missions, then a short cut scene and then you get access to the Cataclysm event.
  • While the missions/events are mostly the same, there are some new wrinkles like variations on enemies and events. Tougher versions of some enemies, a force field wave that strips relic fragments from you and puts them back where they where if you don't avoid the waves etc. Nothing groundbreaking, but at least adds some variety and more things to figure out.
  • Luck has been removed from gear (everyone is at max luck by default), so now you can make ideal builds and not use gear just to boost luck stat in hope of better drops
  • No melee weapon slot gives some added variety to builds and another gear slot to chase loot for.
  • There's apparently some new cataclysm related events in regular free roam--I think those were added in a prior update a few weeks back. I haven't played them yet so I can't comment on whether they're very different from the regular free roam events.
The in-between/undecided:
  • Cataclysm events can be a bit confusing and require a tiny bit of team work to complete which isn't great playing with randoms and not in game chat. There's one I still haven't quite figured out. It's a place 5 echoes ones and 3 are obvious but I've not seen how my squad mates found/solved the last two and it always seem to take a while
  • It's not clear how to complete the event. You beat the boss and then there's a dialogue back at the Fort
    with the doctor that says to keep exploring the mysteries of the cataclysm since the storm is still raging and unstable after beating the boss. I did it again and just beat the boss with no changes. I'm guessing there are some things to find exploring away from the events, but that's kind of frustrating since it's timed and you can only be in the unstable areas so long without dying. I'll probably wait until there are guides on how to progress.

TLDR; It's just more of the same. If you liked the story/sidequests in the base game and chasing some end game loot it's worth downloading the update and at least playing through the story missions and checking out the cataclysm a few times. If you're a big loot chaser/build optimizer the removal of luck bonuses from gear gives you more build flexibility and the added melee weapon slot gives you more loot to case.

It's definitely not worthy buying/rebuying or really even re-installing the game though IMO. And 100% won't change anyone's mind who didn't enjoy the base game at all as it's just more of the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I still have the game when I got it for free from my gpu upgrade but havent touched it. I dont want to force my friends to buy this average game, so can I solo it entirely? I played the beta so I vaguely remember shit. Are the fortresses still forced to be played in groups? Worth it for only the story?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I still have the game when I got it for free from my gpu upgrade but havent touched it. I dont want to force my friends to buy this average game, so can I solo it entirely? I played the beta so I vaguely remember shit. Are the fortresses still forced to be played in groups? Worth it for only the story?

It can be played solo aside from the Strongholds (which aren't part of the story). That said, it's fine just playing with randoms. Few things require any communication and coordination.

The story is pretty bland, so it's really only worth it if you enjoy the gameplay. I mean the story is serviceable and some of the dialogue with NPCs and their side stories is alright, but it's not on part with past Bioware games where some would play them just for the story even if the gameplay wasn't great to them. As I said in my prior post, I love flying around and love the combat so I think it's very fun to play and I got my money's worth out of it. I'd definitely suggest giving it a try since you got it for free, and just bailing if you aren't feeling the gameplay after an hour or two.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It can be played solo aside from the Strongholds (which aren't part of the story). That said, it's fine just playing with randoms. Few things require any communication and coordination.

The story is pretty bland, so it's really only worth it if you enjoy the gameplay. I mean the story is serviceable and some of the dialogue with NPCs and their side stories is alright, but it's not on part with past Bioware games where some would play them just for the story even if the gameplay wasn't great to them. As I said in my prior post, I love flying around and love the combat so I think it's very fun to play and I got my money's worth out of it. I'd definitely suggest giving it a try since you got it for free, and just bailing if you aren't feeling the gameplay after an hour or two.

I somewhat enjoyed the gameplay that's why I was thinking of playing it but I was very interested in the story and I can't simply just try the story, I gotta see it through the end. I guess I got nothing to lose by playing it, was just curious. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I somewhat enjoyed the gameplay that's why I was thinking of playing it but I was very interested in the story and I can't simply just try the story, I gotta see it through the end. I guess I got nothing to lose by playing it, was just curious. Thanks!

The story is super half baked. If you don't want to play it just for the gameplay it's probably not worth the time. Like it's Final Fantasy 15 levels of disjointed from the game being rushed and really only developed in the last 18 months (even being able to fly was added in super late).

Just wanted to make sure I drove that home more strongly so you're not jaded thinking I led you astray if you put in the hours and come away annoyed at the story being lame. :D

VertigoOA

Banned
Gonna give it a shot in a bit. Need a break from D2 after grinding out that fuxking solstice armor.

Game was always fun. Looking forward to seeing if this drop is anything good. I see new loot tho

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
I liked the campaign enough I guess, but there are too many great games out now (and some heavy hitters on the horizon) for me to be cheering on EA and Bioware who screwed this up in the first place.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the campaign enough I guess, but there are too many great games out now (and some heavy hitters on the horizon) for me to be cheering on EA and Bioware who screwed this up in the first place.

Even liking the game more than most, no one should be cheering them for this update. As my post above shows, there's still a lot of negatives and this was delayed many times. So it's pretty disappoint to just be 3 new story missions and new timed/scored free play type mode (that all feels very samey to the existing game), a bit of new loot and some minor other changes (adding melee weapons as a slot and removing luck stats from gear) and left some existing bugs and crashes in place.

It's still a long ways from feeling like a complete, much less polished, game nearly 6 months after launch.

VertigoOA

Banned
Plenty of new dialogue and stuff.

I got drunken yarrow to dance... was kinda funny

Sigh... I’m starting to hope they can pull this off now

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I got drunken yarrow to dance... was kinda funny

That was there before the update.

I got some new dialogue from Sev that I figure is probably something from before I missed or didn’t do enough missions for those background stories to progress to new Fort dialogue.

Mista

Banned
Don’t know what made me download the new update and play. Currently playing and checking this new cataclysm thing. Nothing special so far

bCeM0NW.jpg

VertigoOA

Banned
So...

I think worse of this game now. The content drop is shit. And if the event is only a timed thing too? Why time gate your only new content???

Deleting.

Buy Fallout. It has a raid coming out on the 20th and has delivered more content than both division and anthem... and is good now. Bye

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
So...

I think worse of this game now. The content drop is shit. And if the event is only a timed thing too? Why time gate your only new content???

Deleting.

Buy Fallout. It has a raid coming out on the 20th and has delivered more content than both division and anthem... and is good now. Bye
It’s stupid, very stupid. I’m just glad they fixed the loot ffs

Would rather play Anthem than Fallout 76 if I’m being honest right here. Can’t stand 76 but I have it on PS4

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I’d forgotten from when they announced it is part of it being timed is that the events in cataclysm change, weekly I think. I’m guessing that’s why the story bits end and it just repeats the same content when you replay it with no story bits after the first time. Hopefully there will be a bit of new story after each change and a resolution of this side storyline when it’s over.

I guess I’ll at least do a run or two each week or whatever to see it through and check out the different events. But yeah, it’s a pretty disappointing content update after nothing for so long. I haven’t touched it since the other day when it dropped.

Between Bioware deleting the road map, and the coveted Cataclysm releasing not with a bang but with a whimper, it looks like Bioware and EA can't wait till people forget Anthem existed. Lol can't wait for "live service" Dragon Age 4.

Mista

Banned
Between Bioware deleting the road map, and the coveted Cataclysm releasing not with a bang but with a whimper, it looks like Bioware and EA can't wait till people forget Anthem existed. Lol can't wait for "live service" Dragon Age 4.
This is going to be great. EA might even kill Bioware for good

I said I'd pick this up when it hit 20 bucks, so I snagged it at $23 this weekend. I wanted it for single player, and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far, I'll definitely get my money's worth out of it. Basically 3rd person Iron Man Destiny, the javelins are a blast to control.
It was making my pro scream like a banshee though so I locked it at 1080p, and it's quiet as a whisper. Wonder if I can play No Man's Sky now without my pro sounding like it's about to go critical.

Siri

Banned
I’m an hour in. Single player.

Graphics are top notch, though my platform is pretty high end - RTX 2080 Ti, 9900k, 3440x1440 gsync - but the game is definitely a looker. Kind of surprised actually.

As far as gameplay is concerned - okay, I’m only an hour in, but again, kind of surprised here. Had a blast and want to keep on playing... the game feels unique.

I thought Anthem was going to be ‘hot garbage’ but actually it feels like a pretty decent triple~A title. Maybe I’ll get bored quickly, who knows, but not every game has to save my life. I can only spend a few hours gaming each week anyhow - these days if I get ten hours out of a game it’s special.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I’m playing ‘for free’ because I have Premier, which is an excellent service for a. great price, and no I don’t work for EA.

Last edited:
I wonder when will EA understand that they need to change their policy to produce better games (even if they continue making online-basef games)

I'll log in to get my free stuff, but for the game I'm waiting for the big overhaul. I have some hope because after destiny 1, the division 1, and no man's sky I've come to realise that you can, actually, polish a turd.

Top Bottom