• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem |OT| Fly, you fools!

I don't understand this.... what are they trying to do? I thought I can come back and play the game again. Guess not.

Ok it might not be intentional but still. Still no QA it seems. What the hell?!

Any time they say "the team" I have to imagine it is like 3 dudes chained to desks trying to push out and then fix all this shit.

VertigoOA

Banned
All of my purple loot is dropping at level 38. Is that normal? I've done all of the story missions I think except the one that includes "do 100 events". I also am at 3d+ played with zero legendary drops :(.

That’s there power lvl cap. Now you want masterwork and legendaries.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
While the loot portion is an absolute mess most of the rest of the patch looks pretty good. Unfortunately they're in that situation where instead of "It's the economy, stupid." it is "It's the loot, stupid." They need to get that somewhere good before they'll get credit for anything else.

Exactly what happened with Bungee and Destiny 2. Fuckup after fuckup after fuckup. And now that they have a hostile subreddit on their hands its back to radio silence.

The irony is that when the loot was too good they "fixed" it in 11 hrs. Now its a "We're looking into it" twitter post. Also the loot RNG is done server side, it's not client side updates. This was done intentional.

Edit:

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
There's a post on reddit that has been deleted twice without any explanation from mods.

This is what it stated:
> January 2018 a "document" dating from January of 2017 was leaked to Techpowerup, in which a tech company was pitching an AI program to clients and using examples of it's implementation with an unnamed game. That game is shown strictly in screenshots inside the presentation, and those screen shots are obviously Anthem. The language in the document is pretty shocking and to borrow the language from the author of the article at Techpowerup, "dystopian".
>
>
>
> The crux of the document was about how to use AI to keep players playing games longer and spending more. The AI was to use things like flexible difficulty, and loot rewards or punishments depending on the psychological profile of the game player it develops (a profile data-mined from the gamer's home pc, gaming habits, web browsing, voice, and amazingly home floor plan)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Here is a link to that article: https://www.techpowerup.com/240655/...e-model-paper-foretells-a-dystopian-nightmare
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Into speculative territory- While the document does not use any names (all names are redacted) EA has filed a number of patents for AI techs similar in nature and design, furthermore the way the document was designed seems to imply these AI mechanisms were in use in the unnamed game (Anthem). Now I have no way to verify the veracity of that document, however a lot of how Anthem behaves and the way Bioware talks about it seems to heavily imply there may be an AI algorithm controlling rewards and difficulty in a variable manner, and this may explain the way the store has been functioning (or not) and why EA is so happy with Anthem.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Lets see if this one gets taken down as well. Last one lasted 8 hours.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> EDIT: some great posts in this thread, two guys in particular went digging through EA patents and found a nice one.
>
>
>
> https://patents.justia.com/patent/9919217 Dynamic difficulty adjustment
>
>
>
> Special thanks to u/old4toronto and u/dngiova for digging this one up, definitely worth a read as this one applies directly to large chunks of the original "leaked" document.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> EDIT: you guys are great in here, here are two more must reads from EA's AI dev work
>
>
>
> special thanks to u/miscueLoL for digging this gem up
>
>
>
> Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment for Maximized Engagement in Digital Games
>
>
>
> http://papers.www2017.com.au.s3-website-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/companion/p465.pdf
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> and u/nohkternal for this one
>
>
>
> MULTIPLAYER VIDEO GAME MATCHMAKING OPTIMIZATION
>
>
>
> Publication number: 20180369696
>
>
>
> Abstract: Embodiments of systems presented herein may identify users to include in a match plan. A parameter model may be generated to predict the retention time of a set of users. A queue of potential users, a set of teammates, and/or opponents may be selected from a queue of waiting users. User information for the set of teammates and/or opponents may be provided to the parameter model to generate a predicted retention time. The set of teammates and/or opponents may be approved if the predicted retention time meets a predetermined threshold. Advantageously, by creating a match plan based on retention rates, the engagement and/or retention level for a number of users may be improved compared to existing multiplayer matching systems.

Now, please brace for the Streisand effect.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Only BioWare breaks their game with more patches. This is fucking pathetic and I don’t want to play anymore.

Meccs

Lol, great read. Didn't work on me though. So would that mean the "health bug" isn't actually a bug be the mentioned "dynamic difficulty" at play?
The problem with this is that you would need much more content for people to keep playing the game, even with the AI that desperately tries to keep you playing.

I genuinely love this game, despite the flaws, but it just tested me to the extreme, played my first stronghold on GM3, got the last boss down to the final bits of health, game froze and went back to title screen!!! 🙈😡, worst of all I had 2 legendarys!!! 🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕

Got an email about a free vinyl for Origin subscribers and had just gotten a free month from Asus. Pretty cool.

But with the cosmetics problem this game has right now, kind of irks me that they are rewarding subscribers but not people who bought the game.

Got an email about a free vinyl for Origin subscribers and had just gotten a free month from Asus. Pretty cool.

But with the cosmetics problem this game has right now, kind of irks me that they are rewarding subscribers but not people who bought the game.
I hate it myself but I guess EA has to milk those subs while buyers have already forked over all that they plan too.

I genuinely love this game, despite the flaws, but it just tested me to the extreme, played my first stronghold on GM3, got the last boss down to the final bits of health, game froze and went back to title screen!!! 🙈😡, worst of all I had 2 legendarys!!! 🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕
I had a a lot of disconnects this weekend myself. There was also a really weird time where I was in freeplay and there were no mobs or players but Faye kept talking about a world event and I kept taking damage. I tried extracting from the map and nothing happens. Had to force close the game.

The most hilarious thing about game disconnects is it boots you back to the start with an unskippable intro with the Bioware and EA logo. Yes, I already know my time is being wasted by those guys, no need to remind me every time.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I don't play this game or care about this game. But every time this thread gets updated it's always about the loot being worse.
Has the loot ever been good?
lol

I don't play this game or care about this game. But every time this thread gets updated it's always about the loot being worse.
lol
For entertainment go to reddit ,there you can see how crap this is,and at this point when I see people complain about it,its on them ,because they keep playing it,move on ,show them you don't accept this garbage,if not ,then you're a masochist for keep playing it.

Meccs

Interesting read: https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

Even today, BioWare developers say Frostbite can make their jobs exponentially more difficult. Building new iterations on levels and mechanics can be challenging due to sluggish tools, while bugs that should take a few minutes to squash might require days of back-and-forth conversations. “If it takes you a week to make a little bug fix, it discourages people from fixing bugs,” said one person who worked on Anthem. “If you can hack around it, you hack around it, as opposed to fixing it properly.

Last edited:
lol

Many people seem to think the loot was only truly good during the couple times it was bugged.

I haven’t played in a long time. I need to give it a fair shake and try it after these updates

The loot is very inconsistent, I had 3 legendaries in about 10 mins, just doing free play, other times can go hrs and hrs without them, masterworks are dropping like confetti

Read a little,holly shit,this entire development of this game is a shit show,damn..this game will never be fixed,in the end the final product that we have they put it together in the last 18 months,the teams don't get along, Bioware veterans left and the ones that still are there are not liked by the new people that are there.Its clear this game is gonna die a slow death and we wasted money on it.

CLBridges

Haven't played this game in awhile but will check out the new strong hold. After that, there's really no point in playing more. Wonder will May bring this Cataclysm or will that be delayed.

ultrazilla

Logged back in for the first time a quite awhile and ran the new stronghold. Nothing special IMO. Same old, same old. I have no desire to play it any longer. So long Anthem, I hardly knew ya.

CLBridges

Logged back in for the first time a quite awhile and ran the new stronghold. Nothing special IMO. Same old, same old. I have no desire to play it any longer. So long Anthem, I hardly knew ya.

Yep, same way I feel atm. New stronghold is cool but, what's the point? It even dropped a legendary but oh well. I wanted this game to be great just based on it being pve only, good luck bioware on turning it around.

Finally got around to sinking a few hours into Anthem and playing the new stronghold.

Solid. Enjoyed it. But... IDK. Seems a bit underwhelming this being the first content release since launch.

Loot grind and cosmetics are still shit, and if reports are true that EA isn't micromanaging Bioware the way that many of us believed, then...

WTF BioWare? You dudes are just bad at what you're doing.

Marinius

Neo Member
I played this just after launch for a while and quite enjoyed it... I took a break and am interested in coming back but.... What's the current state of play? Worth looking at again or not?

VertigoOA

Banned
9$ is steal for most games. Its issues aren’t if it’s fun... it’s content. I’d say go for it.

Last edited:

Cranberrys

I started Anthem last night (on X) and I like it quite a lot. The gunplay is good and responsive and the iron man suit is pretty cool, I really like the art too. I wish it was a solo game because the multiplayer part seems to be Added on top of everything. I will try to play it solo for as long as I can.

VertigoOA

Banned
I started Anthem last night (on X) and I like it quite a lot. The gunplay is good and responsive and the iron man suit is pretty cool, I really like the art too. I wish it was a solo game because the multiplayer part seems to be Added on top of everything. I will try to play it solo for as long as I can.

That’s how most people feel when they first play it. It ends abruptly and the endgame content doesn’t exist and its bullshit how rare any decent loot is. 12hr game

Last edited:
Top Bottom